Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds Tuesday 17th November: Gusts possible up to 140km/h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Yep, some severe gusts here east Limerick, any calm periods in between are getting shorter as well. Leaves, branches and wheelie bins flying down the road during the strongest gusts. Be careful if traveling out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick
    Gust 53.8km/h
    Dry with bright sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Serious wind gusts in Galway City right now it would knock you over, I am very surprised that we are not under a Red warning for this storm in the areas affected by it.

Heading out for the school run.

Seems to be the worst wind we've had here so far with the sustained speeds now in the high 30's km/h range.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Aerohead wrote: »
    Serious wind gusts in Galway City right now it would knock you over, I am very surprised that we are not under a Red warning for this storm in the areas affected by it.

The parameters for a red warning are pretty high by necessity. It could still be damaging storm, well able to knock a person over and not reach them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

"pressure warning" issued for Cork airport in which pressure is likely to shoot up very quickly in the next few hours. high wind warning also in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just back from a walk in Shannon. It's a bit blustery alright but I expect it to get worse in the next hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Very bucking flustery in Cork City right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There's a Ryanair plane now at shannon that has just had a second attempt at landing aborted, The passengers must be absolutely terrified.

I was watching the final approach and the plane was being tossed around like a paper bag

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

a Ryanair flight from Gatwick to Shannon has just diverted and now they are off to Liverpool....now thats a nasty journey home! gusting 66 knots at Shannon now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

"pressure warning" issued for Cork airport in which pressure is likely to shoot up very quickly in the next few hours. high wind warning also in operation.

What affect would that have weather wise?
    (Sorry I see the plummet before the storm, Im assuming the rise is as the storm passes over?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Windy enough down here in rosslare harbour wouldn't like to be on the west coast.

Well that's a lie I'd love to be on the west coast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Windy...

368844.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Starting to pick up here now as well, recent gust of 72.4 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It should be peaking on the west coast over the next hour or so. So far orange warning looks justified, but we are missing having a reporting station on the Clare/North Kerry coast and since the core of strong winds is quite small the hourly reports might be a bit deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The wind has died a death here, it was fairly strong 20mins ago, nothing now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    What affect would that have weather wise?
    (Sorry I see the plummet before the storm, Im assuming the rise is as the storm passes over?)

It's only a warning to pilots that altimeter-setting and hence their altimeter reading will be changing rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

69.3kmh at my station in Tullow now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hers a live weather station at Galway University

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Very strong limerick south west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Getting stormy now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A guy sent me this , amateur weather station reading from Kinsale harbour...
    12246802_10153594418340255_4772698933537207221_n.jpg?oh=471a1a0472d13a0bc61567d19014afe4&oe=56EA1CAC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Barney turning into the disappointment I expected it to be for here locally with nothing more than a few rogue gale gusts. Top so far 47.8 kts at 13.10.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Some bad gusts just getting going in Limerick City now. It's been increasing gradually since about 1 but is just now getting into the serious stage of proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Barney turning into the disappointment I expected it to be for here locally with nothing more than a few rogue gale gusts. Top so far 47.8 kts at 13.10.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

There is a tree down on the UL campus, according to my daughter, and the Kemmy walkway is not pleasant to walk....

Watching the neighbours fences do the hokey cokey here on the Ennis Road area of Limerick. But interestingly the dog is animated today and barking at the wind. During Darwin she sat quietly in the corner and refused to move.

Not looking forward to the school collection in a short while.

Mulitple trees down around West Limerick.

Fire Brigade attending multiple calls at the moment to deal with same.

Lots of smaller debris littering the roads and I observed a sheet of corrugated iron fly off a cow shed and travel a considerable distance along a field.

Still very blustery here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Yodeling Snake

Shocking heavy gusting winds here in Limerick presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

It has been incredibly wild here in sandyford for the last 2 hours. Any rain has been more or less horizontal. I'm just at the base of three rock so it's howling down along the valley. Scary sounding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Whoa... Getting vicious here in east Limerick. Say this'll be the worst of it. Trees, tiles and kayaks going flying in Shannon I hear.

Advertisement