Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning for Dublin, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and W

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If low centre can get north of Dublin which it may with current rapid deepening could see a 55/60kt gust at Dublin Airport soon after midnight , very exposed to a WNW

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wind has magically arrived! Not that strong, but it's 21kts and had a gust of 30kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1700 reports
    Cork airport Gust 28 knots
    Oak Park Carlow Gust 21 knots.
    Sherkin Islands Gust 36 knots.
    Valentia Gust 32 knots.

Classic cloud signatures beginning to show - could get nasty S Leinster into Irish Sea later- probably going to peak in Britain

Massive downgrade on winds on the latest TAGS, DUB now only expecting 30kts (Was 45 yesterday), Shannon (was 47 yesterday) and Cork only expecting 38kts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No wind in Galway at all at all.

New Moon

Truly one of the strangest weather events we've ever had. If warnings were never issued I'd have never thought it was anything other than a slightly poor weather day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Little bit windy but sun shining now in n Kerry so it must be gone from this area by now

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Massive downgrade on winds on the latest TAGS, DUB now only expecting 30kts (Was 45 yesterday), Shannon (was 47 yesterday) and Cork only expecting 38kts.

Low must be tracking marginally further south , delayed development - you know these situations are on a knife edge !

We'll see what happens over rest of evening and night :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

989.0hPa Falling Rapidly here near Tralee, dropped over 12 hPa in 5 hrs, Shannon at 990hPa at 18.00 report.

I reckon the center is quite close by now. Brighter with cloud whizzing by in a SW wind. Gusting to about 60 km/h ( my site after getting sheltered by trees )

nmm_uk1-2-5-4_zdd4.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

http://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

Can make out the centre of the depression I think as the cloud begins to hook around as it approaches Clare at the 18.35 frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

My Voin electronic barometer has just started to flash and bleep as pressure has taken a sudden drop in the last 15 mins. Currently 989.4 hPa and now falling very rapidly. Wind NNE and increasingly a little with rain becoming near torrential.

Edit: Latest analysis from Met Éireann:

Dd29fbt.png

New Moon

Kerry airport reporting a gust of 44kts at 18:30.

The Arpege seems to be fairly representative to what the majority of the models are showing.

tempresult_fnw1.gif

tempresult_xdr7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Not a very good start to the storm forecasting season. I'm in Dublin visiting family and it's raining moderately heavy but completely calm. Even if the forecast did materialise I don't think it warranted a name... I know the UK met office decided to use the name but that to was premature. The usage of a name for a non - event makes the general public sceptical about the whole thing. It's getting like America, complete hype over Irma and in the end it was an average hurricane when it struck Florida.

Disagree, part of the UK, particularly around Liverpool, look like they could get a nice slap of wind later.

Only 8c in Knock and 10c in Dublin, while it's 15c in both Cork and Shannon!

Cork gusting 39kts at 7pm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has cleared Dublin 16 now (3.2mm from that) and wind has picked up noticeably in the last 30 minutes. Pressure dropping rapidly.

A lot of wind across the UK overnight.

Looking at the storm from its formation on the SW coast to deepening over Ireland and England and leaving the E coast early morning with storm force winds.

VmviRzx.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Not a very good start to the storm forecasting season. I'm in Dublin visiting family and it's raining moderately heavy but completely calm. Even if the forecast did materialise I don't think it warranted a name... I know the UK met office decided to use the name but that to was premature. The usage of a name for a non - event makes the general public sceptical about the whole thing. It's getting like America, complete hype over Irma and in the end it was an average hurricane when it struck Florida.

Storm Aileen has yet to impact the UK as it develops over Ireland.therefor it can't be a non invent as it has yet to impact them.the low pressure (storm Aileen) was a yellow weather alert in ireland.

• Advertisement

fraxinus1 wrote: »

Can we review your post in 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain has cleared Dublin 16 now (3.2mm from that) and wind has picked up noticeably in the last 30 minutes. Pressure dropping rapidly.
    Doc. I'm in Terenure very calm here and my place normally feels like a wind tunnel at the best of times.

Gusting 47 knots at Valentia and still westerly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

The Arpege model seems to have a pretty good handle on things in these type of rapidly developing situations. I kept data from Storm Doris (Feb 21st last) and noted then it outperformed the GFS model for wind predictions. Hardly a puff of wind in West Laois, I think the centre of the low will be passing over this direction in the next few hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doc. I'm in Terenure very calm here and my place normally feels like a wind tunnel at the best of times.

Quite calm again here now. Just a brief windy spell!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Quiet windy here in Mid-Kerry. Seems to be picking up momentum in the last 30 mins!

Yakult wrote: »
    Quiet windy here in Mid-Kerry. Seems to be picking up momentum in the last 30 mins!

Yea 10 min avg over 30 km/h now here near Tralee, gusting about 70 km/h, gone more NW.

Ballybunion Buoy 48Kts

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Within the last half an hour, winds have picked up drastically here in cork city. Some darkish clouds starting to appear too. Very strong gusts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Crazy wind here near Doneraile, mallow. Moved into this house 6 months ago and this is windiest it's been .

Advertisement