Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

No and I don't think its planned either, I can't remember why but I think it has to do with them wanting to keep a feeling of immersion.

It's a popular topic on the forums. They may implement it as a "camera drone" or something similar, but you're right that they are reluctant to do this for immersion reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I had a real up and down day on premium beta. I lost about 10k when I was blown up 5 times in a fairly short time so I started exploring the other sites outside of the common ones to reduce my rage :) I found a few "unidentified signal" zones where at most you got 4 NPCs attacking you at once and I got quite good at taking out that many by making good use of my shields early in the battle and then switching energy towards my weapons when there was less chance of being pecked away by my target's buddies. There seemed to be some friendlier players about too that didnt go for the kick in the face when you're down tactic which was nice for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I had a real up and down day on premium beta. I lost about 10k when I was blown up 5 times in a fairly short time so I started exploring the other sites outside of the common ones to reduce my rage :) I found a few "unidentified signal" zones where at most you got 4 NPCs attacking you at once and I got quite good at taking out that many by making good use of my shields early in the battle and then switching energy towards my weapons when there was less chance of being pecked away by my target's buddies. There seemed to be some friendlier players about too that didnt go for the kick in the face when you're down tactic which was nice for a change.

haven't played that much but I have been at the low intensity combat site in eranin a few times and haven't encountered any other players while there. The only time I seem to see real players on the radar/overview is around and in stations.

Man, the amount of times I've been taken out by other players with no provocation is unbelievable. I was starting to get paranoid to be honest. The worst happened when I was helping a guy out today as he was clearly running away from several NPCs when I entered the area. Of course he waited until I had taken damage and then swooped in for an easy kill. I tried to make a run for it but he finished me off. Like I said, the sort of character that kicks the guy on the ground after someone else has done the hard work.

It is a beta and they are working on changing the punishment and consequences for murdering other players. The key point is that every player is part of the Pilots Federation so murder gets reported automatically and griefing reports might well be crowd-sourced. War zones and wanted targets are a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I fall above the minimum spec so ill definitely keep a tab on this game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

400 billion star systems... Obviously some must be copies of others or are procedurally generated or something. The developers could hide all sorts of easter eggs and stuff in them.

Is this supposed to be a single persistent world that all players occupy?

Sounds like it.

It's a very interesting take on classic space sim but I'm still more interested in No Man's Sky. In the end flying through space is just going from A to B to C, docking somewhere, repairing, buying and selling, taking a bounty, and other stuff thats been tried and done. Compared to flying down seamlessly to a planet surface and finding a cave that has the resource you need, mining it yourself and crafting the items you require just holds more interest to me.

Yeah it sounds good alright, I hope they can pull it off especially with the Irish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

My big problem right now is the concept of paying €120 to join the beta....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

CruelCoin wrote: »
    My big problem right now is the concept of paying €120 to join the beta....

Same here. Big bucks for a beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's €120 to get access to the beta, get the game and all extra content they come up with. So it's not a complete rip-off.

I think the majority of people who signed up for Premium beta and Alpha are people who had a history with the original game. It is a bigger risk if you have never played any of the Elite series but as humanji says it does get you all the DLC too. I reckon the standard beta will be out in 2-4 months for €60 but an official date has not been announced other than them saying that the release version will be out by the end of this year.

Another good reason to get ED is if you intend to get the Oculus Rift DK2 as they have already added full support for DK2 and it is meant to be amazing.

Is there much to the game so far or is it much like Star Citizen very a very limited play area?

Glebee wrote: »
    Is there much to the game so far or is it much like Star Citizen very a very limited play area?
    400 billion star systems. Most of the players will stay within several hundred star systems and mainly NPC events will occur outside of that. You hyperspace between star systems and exit out of hyperspace near the main star of each system (ie the star which has the nearest habitation). When you exit near the star you can then travel to any planets, space (trading, upgrades) or other points of interest such as conflict zones (gun for hire combat with and against players and NPCs), distress calls (same), unidentified signals (NPC events) and resource extraction sites (mining, piracy, bounty hunting).

You travel within a system using Supercruise which allows you to travel up to speeds which are many times the speed of light and sort of takes you out of the multiplayer element while you are supercruising. You can be interdicted by pirates or the local police while in supercruise so that pulls you out of it and then you have to either defeat the pirates and collect the bounty, run away from the pirates back into supercruise (made more difficult as the proximity to nearby ships means it takes longer to power up supercruise), submit to scans from the cops or run away/fight the cops if you are wanted or have illegal/stolen cargo.

Landing on planets and walking around your ship is planned for later DLCs.
    TLDR: The playable area far exceeds SC as far as I know but I'm waiting for a bit more development before buying SC myself so I can't say for sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

You won't be able to buy Premium beta after mid July so there is a chance that they might announce the standard beta start date then. I think they have a bit of a way to go yet so i don't expect it to start for a few months yet.

Manach wrote: »

that article intrigued me in the beginning but lost me at multiple references to the words grind and grinding. thus killing my interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta 2 is now available.

This update adds three new star systems, a new ship type (the Hauler) and the new Orbis starport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is there any sort of exploration in the game, or is it all just trading and fighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kiith wrote: »
    Is there any sort of exploration in the game, or is it all just trading and fighting?
    AtomicHorror linked to this thread on the official forums that details Exploration as a career: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6418

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

humanji wrote: »
    AtomicHorror linked to this thread on the official forums that details Exploration as a career: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6418

The answer is right now: no. But on release, very much yes. It's planned as a major career path and designed to be a credible alternative to trading, bounty hunting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The Thargoids are probably going to turn up at some point to, so I guess humanity will be encouraged to put on a united war front. Or betray for unheard of wealth and notoriety. I can't wait for this game.

I'm sure most of you are aware but the Standard beta starts on the 29th of July:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=1824c0b05a

€60 for the beta with no DLC season pass. Full game is meant to be out by the end of the year priced at €40

Somebody talk me out of signing up, really tempted....

Reasons not to buy it:

It's a beta
    Might not be optimised too well
    netcode might have a fit when lots of new people join
    It's likely that they will wipe your stats at the end of the beta so it might not be worth putting a lot of time into it yet
    people with joysticks have a slight advantage over keyboard and mouse

Reason to buy it:
    It feels quite immersive
    if you played the originals you will love it
    There is plenty to do in the premium beta but standard beta is meant to be a huge update over that.
    They fixed a tonne of bugs between premium beta 1 and 2 and it's running much better now.
    The audio is fantastic
    If you have ordered an oculus rift or can get your hands on one then it's meant to be the best game for it at the moment

Caved in, see you on the frontier...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

me too

Its guite good alright. First station landing was all over the place. Anybody on tips on easy starting trade routes,,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll wait for launch. I'm sick of paying for beta's these days, even if it does look amazing. I just hope they do manage to get more features implemented at launch.

• Advertisement

Single player combat scenarios now available for standard beta backers:
    http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25169

Advertisement