Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm in and looking forward to it. I reckon I'll spend most of the first few hours getting frustrated with the controls because I think the layout will change quite a bit from the single player sneak peek we got. For the same reason I'm not too interested in PvP combat as I don't think I'll match up to the Alpha backers and their mega expensive flight sticks etc.

I'm usually on gaellords.com TS in the evenings and anyone is welcome there so it might come in handy if any of us get stuck or want to try and work together. Just send me (jumbo) a message if I am in a private channel. You can create your own channel too if you just want to play with your buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

humanji wrote: »
    Who's in the beta (hopefully. I'm looking at you Star Citizen!!!) tomorrow? I caved and bought into it, just because I've more money than sense (and not that much money, actually).

I've been in the Alpha and am itching for the Beta to start later today. Can't wait to see what it entails and for thousands of new players to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Branoic wrote: »
    I've been in the Alpha and am itching for the Beta to start later today. Can't wait to see what it entails and for thousands of new players to have a look.

How much did you have to pay to get into Alpha, and if I wanted to get into Beta is it still possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    How much did you have to pay to get into Alpha, and if I wanted to get into Beta is it still possible?

You can still get into the beta, I believe. It's £100 for the premium beta which gets you into the beta, gets you the game and all expansion packs when they're released.

Then there's the £50 for the beta and the game when it's released.

https://store.zaonce.net/?_ga=1.26599357.1234666292.1400855809

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

humanji wrote: »
    You can still get into the beta, I believe. It's £100 for the premium beta which gets you into the beta, gets you the game and all expansion packs when they're released.

Then there's the £50 for the beta and the game when it's released.

https://store.zaonce.net/?_ga=1.26599357.1234666292.1400855809

Aww so tempting though I'd definitely need a new machine first. I very much doubt my XPS 12 with its Intel 4400 would be up to the task :(

• Advertisement

An obscene amount :D

Yeah I think the Alpha and Premium Betas are for people who have a history with the original 8-bit and 16-bit games and/or perhaps have an Oculus Rift devkit 2 ordered. Otherwise it's too big a risk for most people.The Premium beta gives access to the multiplayer today and all the expansions later on. Standard beta is cheaper but doesnt give you access today and doesnt give you the DLC season pass.

And yes, an intel 4400 would definitely not do the job I'm afraid but I wouldnt rush out to buy a new PC unless you can afford a really decent one as the final PC spec could change.

Branoic wrote: »
    An obscene amount :D

You do know once upon a time, people were actually paid to take part in game testing - well if not paid, they at least didn't have to pay hundreds to test the game for the likes of fatcat Braben :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You do know once upon a time, people were actually paid to take part in game testing - well if not paid, they at least didn't have to pay hundreds to test the game for the likes of fatcat Braben :D

Valid point.. when did people start paying to do developers work for them? Although to be fair, I suppose it should result in a better game on release - from all I've seen on YT it's already very playable!

Unlike say Star Citizen which last time I looked consisted of an admittedly gorgeous hanger bay and static ships.

I loved the original Elite back in the day (not so much Frontier though) so I probably will get myself a PC to play this on later in the year.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Valid point.. when did people start paying to do developers work for them? Although to be fair, I suppose it should result in a better game on release - from all I've seen on YT it's already very playable!

Unlike say Star Citizen which last time I looked consisted of an admittedly gorgeous hanger bay and static ships.

I loved the original Elite back in the day (not so much Frontier though) so I probably will get myself a PC to play this on later in the year.

Will a gtx670 be sufficient to run it as it currently is?

• Advertisement

GTX760 should be fine. As for this trend of early access I suppose it does help independent and smaller producers make games in these days of having only a handful of big producers. Kind of getting tired of it all the same though.

True, but then the whole point of paying for alpha access or kickstarting a game is that it allows the fans to fund something which otherwise would probably not get made, because publishers are cowards. I didn't pay for alpha access. I paid to fund the game development, and alpha access was a benefit of that.

I know there's a whole existential debate going on around the merits of the crowdfunding model, and plenty of people think that those who pay for alphas or kickstart a project are eejits. Yes, some people take it to the extreme, become kickstarter junkies and back everything going, then get burned when loads don't work out.

Me, I've only backed 3 games projects, and each were considered purchases -

1) Prison Architect, because Introversion are fantastic, deserve support, the alpha is amazingly polished and I have no doubt the game will be great.

2) Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars spiritual successor, done properly and not the Syndicate travesty of a shooter that was released previously. Had to back this.

3) Elite Dangerous - Elite 2 featured significantly in my childhood, and I would say played a major role in defining and forming my interests and hobbies. I have been waiting literally decades for Elite 4. If Frontier Developments needed help in funding the project, and it allowed them to stick to their vision instead of a publishers, then I am all for that.

Of the 3, I'd say the one Im most concerned will not see the light of day is possibly Satellite Reign, its gone too quiet since the funding campaign ended.

Elite Dangerous Alpha access was significantly more expensive than the other two, but worth it I feel.

And leave fatcat Braben out of it - the man is a God to me :D

I'm seriously tempted to pay the €120 premium beta, could be playing today if I wanted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

So if you order it now, do they send you a code or just post a physical dvd out to you?

It's not terrible value for money at €120, but I am going to buy the finished game for €40, and if I like that I will buy all the DLC for €40. I'm probably going to need an upgraded PC in the next year so I can't justify spending big money on one game, no matter how excited about it I get. I'm not nearly as excited about Star Citizen so maybe I won't need a super computer after all.

So if you order it now, do they send you a code or just post a physical dvd out to you?
    They send you the link to the installer. That installs the launcher and then you login with your Frontier store login and it downloads and authenticates the game

Premium beta first impressions: I played through all the single player missions from the Alpha 1.1 first to get the controls right and it was a lot easier this time.

Docking is impressive. I found myself saying "Where's the feckin' door?" a lot but the space station doesnt respond to voice commands :)

Really nice so far but I had to stop once I docked since for some reason the game doesnt like my 1680x1050 resolution so it's heavily clipped at the edges making the map in particular very hard to use. I raised a ticket and posted on their beta support forums, hopefully its something stupid that I've overlooked

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah I'm having a bit of trouble with resolution too. I've set it to the best I can, but a bit of the screen is cut off. Nothing major though. I'm tempted to pick up a trackIR thingy which would get rid of that problem.

I've managed to set up a Saitek switch panel for this, which adds a bit to the immersion (and I like flicking switches! :D ). It's funny how easy the preview videos have made flying, and in particular docking seem. Docking can be a little fiddly until you get used to it. What I thought was pretty cool was the way the Alpha videos had a ship entering into a station and then being sent to a docking bay, while the Beta, because it's multiplayer, has a load of docking bays lit up with ships landing and taking off from them, so you actually have to pay attention to where you're going.

Yeah just sitting in the docking bay and watching other players wobble around the place is fun :)

I discovered that the resolution issue is a known one. The games doesnt like anything other than 16:9 but you can fix it using two methods.

1. Create custom resolution and use GPU display scaling to scale to your monitor
    2. Edit the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1000\GraphicsConfiguration.xml file and change <MinimumAspectRatio>1.600000 to 1.7777

This last method is the easiest and what I use but it leaves black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

It keeps crashing on me now while I'm trying to write down the price of commodities so I still havent left the station lol

• Advertisement

In game, is your player name the same as your username?
    Just wondering, cos my username is my email on the login screen. :confused:

In game, is your player name the same as your username?
    Just wondering, cos my username is my email on the login screen. :confused:

You can see your actual commander name and change it here:
    https://support.orerve.net/http/commander/profile

You can see your actual commander name and change it here:
    https://support.orerve.net/http/commander/profile

lol I'm commander backer #46923 , how distinguished :D

The guy should have bought food on an agricultural world and industrial materials on an industrial world.
    :rolleyes:

The guy should have bought food on an agricultural world and industrial materials on an industrial world.
    :rolleyes:

Is it possible to make decent money in a reasonable amount of time trading, considering there's only a few systems available to players at the moment.

I've just been fooling about so far, losing my ship several times.
    Went to a low intensity conflict zone last night blew up a few ships before I was destroyed, but don't seem to get a bounty or loot for killing them...

Trading
    I spent ages trading and even created my own google docs trading tracker but trading will not make you much money. I think max legal trading will get you with 4 cargo slots is about 1200 on advanced catalysers between A-Prime and Dahan. I've heard suggestions that selling liquor on the black market at i-bootis is meant to be lucrative but I havent tried it. I think trading is not that lucrative because they know that people will implement trading calculators and have the best ships bought in no time. They spoke in an earlier blog about having gold-rush type scenarios where for a limited time medical supplies could be in high demand which will draw a lot of players to one system which I think makes a lot of sense.

Gun for hire
    To make money I've discovered that it's much better to go the Federation Distress signal location in Eranin and join the fight there. You need to use the far-right section of the right hand panel to set your faction though which is something I had missed earlier on (it's not obvious to be fair). Join the federation and get 500 per kill or join the Eranin defense forces and get 400 (Otherwise you don't get paid).

When you get there I'd reccomend trying to figure out what side the other human players are on and join them as humans are the most unpredictable and will sometimes wait until you are vulnerable before attacking for a cheap kill. Now that I've got an Eagle with 3 hard points I just chase the human players away by knocking out their shields and giving them a small bit of hull damage so that they supercruise out of there and into another server instance :) Once proper comms between players is available then I expect you will see much better PvP as you will be able to call on friendly ships to help.

Bounty Hunting and piracy
    The resource extraction sites are more fun but a lot more risky. You can attack Wanted ships but also use your cargo scoop to scoop up cargo that has been dropped by damaged ships. Also, apparently you can target sub-systems (left panel) on the ships that are mining and target their cargo holds to force out their contents without destroying their ships but I havent tried being a pirate yet.

First ship upgrade
    Make about 4-5000 and then buy a second pulse laser for about 2200. At that stage your ship costs 37200 so if you get blown up it will cost 5% of that in insurance to buy it back with 2 lasers (about 1860 credits). Make sure you at least kill 4 enemies and earn 2000 before you get blown up again or you'll be back to the basic ship.

Docking
    Just one other thing about that video, the guy complained about getting knocked around by other ships on the way through the docking gate. It may have been because he is not entering and exiting the gate on the side with the green lights. Again, its not that obvious until someone points it out. Here's a vid of me docking under duress but at least I dock on the green side :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love the look of the game, and look forward to them adding more features. God help my computer when i try to fly through the rings around a planet like in that earlier video.

Is there an outside/3rd person view for the ship at the moment? cos I haven't found the command.

• Advertisement

No and I don't think its planned either, I can't remember why but I think it has to do with them wanting to keep a feeling of immersion.

Advertisement