Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the verge of purchasing a boat from the U.K.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Do you have an epirb? Few softwood wedges and a fibreglass repair kit? All stuff that's handy to have on board if the **** hits the fan. Fire blanket as well as the extinguisher.

I don’t have an epirb, but do have a PLB, which will be enough for my needs.

fergal.b wrote: »
    And an iPad to keep in touch with us :)

I bought a refurbished iPad mini 2 from Apple last week, as I needed a Wi-Fi & Cellular version for the GPS capability (it might as well have been brand new as it looks and feels brand new).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

2B Pencils and pairer? Binoculars? Lifelines for clipping in at night and in bad weather? Passage plan?

Was going to pick up a pair of binoculars over there in a chandlery. Good shout on the 2B pencils as I'd have probably just brought any old ones I could lying around!
    As for life lines, the boat supposedly has them, but I didn't see them installed, so if there's none, I could jury rig some lifelines using mooring lines.

As for the passage plan, I'll be leaving that to the skipper (a Yachtmaster Ocean instructor), and I'll hopefully be soaking up as much experience as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

I don’t have an epirb, but do have a PLB, which will be enough for my needs.

That's the best bit of modern safety equipment you can carry 👍

(Once you wear it) no point if you don't.
    https://www.mcmurdogroup.com/mcmurdo-products/mcmurdo-fastfind-220/

Forget the Bovril

• Advertisement

Tom44 wrote: »
    That's the best bit of modern safety equipment you can carry ðŸ‘

(Once you wear it) no point if you don't.
    https://www.mcmurdogroup.com/mcmurdo-products/mcmurdo-fastfind-220/

Forget the Bovril

I got the Ocean Signal PLB1, although not strictly an EPIRB, it will be treated as such for the boat, although it will also do no harm to have it clipped onto my life jacket, or the jacket of whoever is on watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

What’s her name? There was a lovely one sold a few weeks ago in Dublin called Overdraft, she was already sold by the time I declared interest in her!

Overdraft is my new neighbor in Greystones!

fenris wrote: »
    Overdraft is my new neighbor in Greystones!

I saw her too late!! (well, I was looking at her for a week while on holidays in Spain, and when I emailed the broker upon my return, she'd just been sold)

She was advertised at €15,000, and looked immaculate, only downside for me was the bulb keep giving her the max draft on a 285, but I'm sure I'd of managed!!

The boat should be back in the water on Thursday/Friday.

Looks like we'll be leaving Portsmouth on Saturday morning for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The boat should be back in the water on Thursday/Friday.

Looks like we'll be leaving Portsmouth on Saturday morning for Dublin.

Fair sailing!

Did you pick up a spinnaker pole? No point in trying to navigate the Needles unless you're flying on your first time out!!:D:D:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Having a new starter battery and a gallon of fresh fuel in a can has gotten me out of trouble more than once during the first trip in a new to me vehicle so might be worth considering.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Fair sailing!

Did you pick up a spinnaker pole? No point in trying to navigate the Needles unless you're flying on your first time out!!:D:D:eek::eek:

No, so I’ll have to try and pick one up over the winter somehow!!

Anyway it looks like being upwind all the way down to Lands End anyway, and then hopefully a broad/beem reach all the way from Lands End up to Dublin!

Corbally wrote: »
    Having a new starter battery and a gallon of fresh fuel in a can has gotten me out of trouble more than once during the first trip in a new to me vehicle so might be worth considering.

I don’t think I’ll have a spare starter battery, though there are separate batteries for engine starting and leisure.

I’ll have 2x 10 litre spare cans of diesel with me on board in case we have to motor for a while as the boats tank is only 25 litres.

With the Volvo Penta 2002, 45 litres should provide about 30 hours of motoring time if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Bon voyage, I hope you have good safe sailing, and keep well away from the Blackwater sandbanks. Best of luck with the new lifestyle, I hope her indoors takes to it brilliantly.

Bigus wrote: »
    Bon voyage, I hope you have good safe sailing, and keep well away from the Blackwater sandbanks. Best of luck with the new lifestyle, I hope her indoors takes to it brilliantly.

Cheers. I'm flying over tomorrow morning to spend all of tomorrow getting teh boat ready, and picking up various bits & provisions (as I'll have a rental car).

Unfortunately I don't have a flexible bag/holdall big enough to bring the 2 10l diesel cans in along with everything else, so I'm having to use quite a large hard shelled suitcase, but meh, I'll survive. It'll be stowed in the forward cabin while under way!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Safe trip Andy!

The adventure begins...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Safe trip, Go forth and conquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

The adventure begins...

That’s a big prop for a boat ;)

Safe journey, hope you have an uneventful sail home.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Gerard93

The adventure begins...
    Keep us posted if you can ! How long do you expect the return trip to take ?

Safe trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Oh the sailing gods, it looks like storm Ernesto may play havoc with your delivery plans .

If going all the way to Dublin is looking dodgy,
    A good plan B might be to get your expert crew to aim for Milford haven or Fishguard, then it's only a Ferry ride away from Rosslare, and yourself less experienced crew could pick it up in time . alternatively, kilmore quay might be a smooth run in and get the missus to drive to the crew to Dublin airport.

Looks like ww’ll Be stopping in Poole tonight and see what the weathers gonna do tomorrow!!

Passing The Newdlws just now!!

Good job the iPhone 7 is water resistant!!3)

Looks like ww’ll Be stopping in Poole tonight and see what the weathers gonna do tomorrow!!

Passing The Newdlws just now!!

Good job the iPhone 7 is water resistant!!3)

Makes sense judging by the weather forecast..

Just looking at Ventusky there... Tomorrow's model looks like it could be 'character forming' for a continuous run from Poole... Perhaps a run to Exmouth or Torquay would suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Ya wouldn't turn your camera through 90 degrees, would you? It looks like you just got knocked down!

Left Poole about an hour ago, next stop hopefully Dublin (unless we need a fuel stop).
    Carrying 85 litres of fuel, most likely steam all the way to Lands End.

Making 7-8 knots with a bit of a tide with us!!

We’re about 3 hours - 20 miles out of Salcombe, so we’ll stop in and fill up again with diesel as well as get another 2 20 litre tanks so we’ll then have a total of 125 litres on board, which will be enough to get us to Malahide if we have to motor all the way (which I hope we don’t), but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!!

The alternative is we go for Penzance, but there’s only a 3 hour window from 11pm - 2am to get diesel there, and we’d still probably need another stop again in Milford Haven or Rosslare! So Salcome it is, get the extra fuel cans, and then we crack on for home.

Currently doing 6-6.5 kt’s with about 5 it’s of wind on the nose in a light to moderate swell.

Otto is performing well after a few modifications with some cable ties, duct take & a junior hacksaw!!

We’re about 3 hours - 20 miles out of Salcombe, so we’ll stop in and fill up again with diesel as well as get another 2 20 litre tanks so we’ll then have a total of 125 litres on board, which will be enough to get us to Malahide if we have to motor all the way (which I hope we don’t), but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!!

The alternative is we go for Penzance, but there’s only a 3 hour window from 11pm - 2am to get diesel there, and we’d still probably need another stop again in Milford Haven or Rosslare! So Salcome it is, get the extra fuel cans, and then we crack on for home.

Currently doing 6-6.5 kt’s with about 5 it’s of wind on the nose in a light to moderate swell.

Otto is performing well after a few modifications with some cable ties, duct take & a junior hacksaw!!

Hopefully you'll get the benefit of 7-10 kt from the W.S.W. from Land's End to Rosslare..

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll get the benefit of 7-10 kt from the W.S.W. from Land's End to Rosslare..

Yeah, and if we can make Lands End by midnight tonight we’re laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Checking in here all day for next update....the suspense is killing! :P

Advertisement