Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the verge of purchasing a boat from the U.K.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Here is the offending piece of damage on the rudder!!

So an update;

After some back and forth with the owner via the broker this week, I'm (finally) buying the boat!!, at a reduced price based on the work that needs to be done (rudder & sea cocks). Not as much of a reduction as I would have liked, but nevertheless decent enough, and if the repairs go well, It should stay close to the £16k I'd initially agreed to buy at (Had 3 different quotes for the work and were all fairly close to each other).

Hopefully by lunchtime tomorrow she'll be mine!

Insurance is kicking in from tomorrow, and as soon as the broker confirms the final payment is received, I can book the boat into the yard next door for a lift, rudder repair, sea cocks replacement, and a coat of anti fouling, which should take about a week. Then she's ready to come home. Marina berth is paid up until the end of August, so I've a little wiggle room to try and find decent weather window (for the last 2/3 weeks, it's been looking like close hauled down as far as Lands End in about 8-12 kts, and then a run/reach all the way up to Dublin!).

Ship's Radio Licence application form was sent off yesterday while I also picked up an Ocean Signal PLB1 this morning, and will get a few other various bits and pieces over there when picking her up!!

Happy Days (I think!:confused::o)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

So an update;

After some back and forth with the owner via the broker this week, I'm (finally) buying the boat!!, at a reduced price based on the work that needs to be done (rudder & sea cocks). Not as much of a reduction as I would have liked, but nevertheless decent enough, and if the repairs go well, It should stay close to the £16k I'd initially agreed to buy at (Had 3 different quotes for the work and were all fairly close to each other).

Hopefully by lunchtime tomorrow she'll be mine!

Insurance is kicking in from tomorrow, and as soon as the broker confirms the final payment is received, I can book the boat into the yard next door for a lift, rudder repair, sea cocks replacement, and a coat of anti fouling, which should take about a week. Then she's ready to come home. Marina berth is paid up until the end of August, so I've a little wiggle room to try and find decent weather window (for the last 2/3 weeks, it's been looking like close hauled down as far as Lands End in about 8-12 kts, and then a run/reach all the way up to Dublin!).

Ship's Radio Licence application form was sent off yesterday while I also picked up an Ocean Signal PLB1 this morning, and will get a few other various bits and pieces over there when picking her up!!

Happy Days (I think!:confused::o)

Is she registered on whatever UK registry is used for small ships? If so, it might be worth considering renewing that so as to hedge your bets in case weird stuff happens after Brexit. Having a valid UK registration might be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Congratulations

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Well Ware. :)

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Is she registered on whatever UK registry is used for small ships? If so, it might be worth considering renewing that so as to hedge your bets in case weird stuff happens after Brexit. Having a valid UK registration might be useful.

She does have an SSR number, might be worth looking into alright, as all I'll be doing over here is getting a SRL with call sign/MMSI, and I might perhaps get an IRL sail number. but there'd be no other registrations taking place.

That’s it. It’s a done deal.

I own the boat.
    Insurance active as of today, hopefully into the yard on tuesday for rudder repair, seacocks replacement & an anti foul.

Anyone know where there’s a spare spinnekar pole laying about?

That’s it. It’s a done deal.

I own the boat.
    Insurance active as of today, hopefully into the yard on tuesday for rudder repair, seacocks replacement & an anti foul.

Anyone know where there’s a spare spinnekar pole laying about?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/large-spinnaker-pole/232873143792?hash=item3638522df0:g:rf0AAOSwqRBbPe9-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Congratulations!

A First 285 has just moved in beside me in Greystones, we will be seeing them everywhere now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

fenris wrote: »
    Congratulations!

A First 285 has just moved in beside me in Greystones, we will be seeing them everywhere now :P

Theres one in Howth (probably an early 90s version) that is looking very sad and neglected. Used to be a lovely boat but not so far gone that it couldnt be brought back to life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Wishing you good winds and fair sailing. Another generation of the family hooked! You little son will thank you in years to come. Rush is a great little club - far better there than Malahide - enjoy ) your boating pleasures : )

fenris wrote: »
    Congratulations!

What’s her name? There was a lovely one sold a few weeks ago in Dublin called Overdraft, she was already sold by the time I declared interest in her!

I was in Malahide yesterday with herself having lunch and noticed a 285 on the marina, so went in to have a look and show herself what I’ve gotten myself into!! They are a big old chunk of a boat in fairness!

Mine was lifted yesterday for the few repairs, so I’ll know more today about the rudder!!

Well the news from the yard is good, the rudder stock is in good shape as well as the rudder bearings, so only the minimal repair is required.

All in, the cost of the repair added to the new purchase price is going to bring me roughly back to the initial £16k agreed purchase price, so the discount I got on the price is roughly the cost of the repair. In addition I’m getting her anti fouled while out of the water (only £200 so a no brainer as I’d have had to do it within a month or 2 of getting her back to Dublin, and I’ll most likely keep her afloat this winter).

Should be ready in about 10 days!!

So with the boat now 8 - 9 days away from being ready for collection, thoughts now turn to the delivery of the boat to Dublin.

I'll be hiring a skipper (+ 1 crew), and going along myself. It's a journey I'm sure I'd be competent enough to complete with 1-2 good hands with me, but I wouldn't be as confident as I'd like to be as I've been away from any sort of passage sailing for so long. This will get the boat back safely (hopefully) under an experienced skipper, while also giving me a chance to find my sea legs again, and get a good shake down on the boat before bringing my OH (& son) out, OH would have very little boating experience (a week on the Shannon & 2 hours sailing in the Canaries on a little day sailer).

I've been picking up various bits over the last few months in anticipation of being a boat owner once more. I've a handheld VHF, Hand Bearing Compass, Charts, Parallel Rule etc.. and now that I have the boat bought, I picked up a PLB last week, and should hopefully have the ship radio licence next week sometime. I've also gone down the route of an iPad chart plotter (The boat has a basic enough GPS, but for what I'd need in future, the cheaper iPad & Navionics option of chart plotting would be better).

I also ordered some engine spares today: oil & fuel filters, impeller kit, drive belt, engine starter relay, stuffing box grease & I'll get a bottle of oil when over there collecting the boat. These would be things that experience would tell me to not go to sea without having on board, whether just a spin around the bay, or a 400nm delivery (maybe overkill on the starter relay, but having 1st hand experience of one failing, and for only £12 , I'm having a spare onboard). There is a little box of tools on board, and I've a few more I'll bring over with me.

When over there to collect the boat, I'll pick up a 4 man valise life raft (probably slightly overkill as well for my needs, but for piece of mind while having the family on board, It'd be a nice extra insurance policy to have with us). I'll also need a new flare pack as well as a fire extinguisher (all on board are expired). I'll also pick up life jackets for the family as they seem cheaper in England & I'm sure I'll need some various bits for the galley as well as general chandlery, so I'll get all that stuff while there too.

Any other ideas or recommendations on essentials to have on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Is the boat fitted with an autopilot/tillerpilot? 400nm will be a long way if you have to steer by hand.
    Waterproof/armoured case for ipad & phone.
    Check anchor, chain and warps.
    Also check all sheets and halyards. If the boat has been lying up for a long time the halyards may need replacing. Or at least bring a spare or two.
    Mainsheet Traveller bearings
    Radar reflector

Donie75 wrote: »
    Is the boat fitted with an autopilot/tillerpilot? 400nm will be a long way if you have to steer by hand.
    Waterproof/armoured case for ipad & phone.
    Check anchor, chain and warps.
    Also check all sheets and halyards. If the boat has been lying up for a long time the halyards may need replacing. Or at least bring a spare or two.
    Mainsheet Traveller bearings
    Radar reflector

The boat does have an auto pilot, an Autohelm 1000. All the running rigging was replaced back in 2015, though I will be checking it all out before setting off. The anchor could do with replacing, but it'll be sufficient for the remainder of this season, and theres plenty of chain & warp too. I'll need to pick up a radar reflector as I don't believe there is one on board.

A can of WD40 shall also be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Torches, handheld fm/am radio, batteries, spare canisters for lifejacket. If you can get them energy bars & gels just incase weather goes to crap and you can't cook also try get a pre cooked meal or 2 that you can heat quickly

Have plenty of waterproof torches including a headband LED that can be white or red, a mag based/hooked LED work light and also a clip on red light for night navigation ops. Will have a stock of batteries, as well as a power bank or 2 for the iDevices (will have 2-3 fully charged spare iPhones with the Navionics app on them).

Provisions wise, I’d leave that up to the skipper to decide, but I’d certainly be looking to have various stocks available for all weather scenarios. The boat has a 100l flexi water tank, but I’d still be looking to have 12-18 1.5l bottles of drinking water on board for the trip. I’d most likely pick up a few re-arming kits too when I get the life jackets.

I’d also be looking to get a full tank of camping gas, or if the one already on board feels like it has some life left in it, keep it and get a spare so as to then have 2 that I can interchange in future.

Milton to sanitise the water tank. Has she got a water filter? If so, replace the canister.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Milton to sanitise the water tank. Has she got a water filter? If so, replace the canister.

I’m not sure about a filter, but for the Milton, would it be a case of filling up or half filling the water tank, adding the Milton and flushing it all out before filling again for use/consumption?

Also one thing that I'm not overly keen on is that the water tap in the galley is electric pumped only, and theres no foot pump!! Which seems quite odd!! However its not a deal breaker and if I was stuck at sea and had 100l of water in the bow, and no battery power, I'd find an easy way to get to it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A decent first aid kit and decent toolkit (with wire/bolt cutters)....and....lots of cup-a-soup!

Might be overkill, but back up/battery operated nav lights are no harm to have.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A decent first aid kit and decent toolkit (with wire/bolt cutters)....and....lots of cup-a-soup!

Yep, forgot to mention the First Aid Kit as something I’ll be needing before setting off!

A wire/bolt cutter, yes, worth having something on board to cut away the shrouds if it ever came to it!!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Might be overkill, but back up/battery operated nav lights are no harm to have.

I was thinking at least spare bulbs anyway for the bow & stern steaming lights.

I’m not sure about a filter, but for the Milton, would it be a case of filling up or half filling the water tank, adding the Milton and flushing it all out before filling again for use/consumption?

Also one thing that I'm not overly keen on is that the water tap in the galley is electric pumped only, and theres no foot pump!! Which seems quite odd!! However its not a deal breaker and if I was stuck at sea and had 100l of water in the bow, and no battery power, I'd find an easy way to get to it!

Heres what I did years ago after a used cruiser purchase where the boat had been hard standing for a couple of years. Some water remained in tbe 200l tank:

Deep cleaning phase:

1. Disconnect tank outlet from pump.
    2. Ensure outlet is draining to bilges.
    3. Empty tank to bilges and allow bilge pump to get rid of the stale water.
    4. Connect new and usused sewer unblocking attachment to pressure washer and put in the tank through the filler. <a href="https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pressure-Washer-Sewer-Jetter-Attachment.png"&gt; Link</a>
    5. Use the pressure washer attachment to thouroughly spray the inside of the tank and dislodge any gunge. This will drain to the bilge.
    6. Disconnect and empty hot water accumulator tank similarly and clean out using the same technique.
    7. Open all internal taps etc.
    8. Reconnect accumulator tank.
    9. Attach mains pressure hose to outlet from pump and run through pipework to dislodge any gunge and flush through the system.
    10. Reconnect all pump hoses and shut off all taps etc.

Sterilizing phase:

11. Mix around 50 litres of strong bleach solution ( I used Miton at 4 times recommended strength) and pour into tank.
    12. Pump solution around the system until the heavily chlorinated solution comes out of taps etc. Shut off taps.
    13. Fill tank to top with fresh water. The tank now has sterilizing solution at recommended strength. All pipework etc contains 4x strength solution.
    14. Leave 24 hours.
    15. Empty tank through taps etc.
    16. Refill with fresh water and flush through as required until mi!ton smell is gone.
    17. Refill tank and apply maintenance dose of mitom as recommended.
    18. Rinse and repeat at start of every season.

This may not work for everyone but the principles should work. It may seem a lengthy process but in fact its very easy to do because all tbe components will need to be checked anyway after buying a boat. AFAIK, most of the contamination, if any, will be in the pipes and taps etc moreso than in the tank itself.

EDIT: Cant get link to jetter to work. Use copy and paste into a separate browser window to view it.

I know I’ll need to do it, but I’d be hoping I wouldn’t need to do straight away. The flexi tank was only installed in 2015, so I’d be hoping it and the lines would be still reasonable clean. The boat was launched at the beginning of this season to be sailed, as I believe the owners death was sudden, so the plans were for her to be sailed this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do you have an epirb? Few softwood wedges and a fibreglass repair kit? All stuff that's handy to have on board if the **** hits the fan. Fire blanket as well as the extinguisher.

Jaze, lads, she'll need a towbar and trailer if we put much more stuff on her... :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

And an iPad to keep in touch with us :)

• Advertisement

And a satellite internet connectivity service for the iPad to connect to Boards.... :D

I think we may have just got to the "too much" point...

Advertisement