Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Blows Wrestling Parties: WrestleMania at Buskers On The Ball!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There was a very good Austin/Bret match from Survivor Series........96 I want to say?

And you would be correct! 1996 was the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There was a very good Austin/Bret match from Survivor Series........96 I want to say?

A friend of mine is gonna love you for suggesting that one. He hates that nobody gives it the credit it deserves because of their later Mania match.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Man WrestleMania at captains was a fantastic experience and want to go this weekend's festivities but woah, the card's a bit stankin!

Yeah, I agree that it's not the best, but we've worked hard on the party element of the night so we're not reliant on WWE putting on a great show in people having a good night or not. The feedback we got from SummerSlam (I dunno if you saw) echoed that, "Not a great card but great night." Which is what I want, just an excuse for wrestling fans to hang out and get to have the craic together. The same as going to the pub for the football: you mightn't remember the match but you'll remember the craic.

With Luke & Duane hosting the Survivor Series Elimination Quiz (I've had a look at the format and it's quality stuff from the lads as always), WWE merch prizes (thanks Graham :)) and the usual WWE music & classic matches, I think we've got a great party lined up.

I know you guys do your own thing here, but we have a PPV prediction contest up on the WWE Parties page where we're giving away tix for MSW's January show with Scotty 2 Hotty if anyone is interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So how was it?

Not been to one of these since Mania but got a bunch of lads ready to book flights over here for the Rumble presuming there'll be a party on.

Great craic I thought (but I'd love to hear some unbiased thoughts)! A bit slow at the start, which had me worried as, while I knew the night wouldn't get near Mania turnout cus of the card, I didn't want people to go away thinking there was no atmosphere. But with latecomers included we had nearly the same turnout as SummerSlam and great banter. I loved how, even while it was quiet at the start, people still went out of their way to get some atmosphere going. And that has nothing to do with me...it's all the added element that everyone there brings with them that we LOVE.

Luke & Duane were EXCELLENT with the table quiz, that was such good banter. And it seems as if everyone there had a good night going off feedback from FB.

Rumble night IS happening...somewhere in the City Centre (maybe not Captain's, we're talking it over with a few locations before we decide). But yeah, I've been looking forward to the Rumble night since Mania and we're gonna pull out all the stops for it. So you're friends are safe to fly over, they won't be disappointed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I have to be honest, I wouldn't go ahead with the quiz for the rumble night. I think what made the SS night so much fun was the random songs coming on, people doing promos and spinaroonies out of nowhere - i found when i got there (admittedly i was late) alot of people seemed to be left out and weren't involved anymore which was a bit of a shame!

Just my opinion!

Sorry man, wanted to wait until I had the time to properly reply.

First off, thanks for the feedback, genuinely. Our only concern is giving you guys what you want so this is all helpful.

Secondly, just to explain: the elimination style was just because it was a Survivor Series-themed quiz, not a prototype for all quizzes going forward. Luke & Duane will back up that, in coming up with the quiz, one of our top concerns was that everyone was kept involved in some way. So anyone who was there would've seen how, for example, once people were eliminated then rounds were either moved up to the stage so everyone could enjoy it (e.g. the intros round) or the crowd decided the winners (e.g. the forfeits). In hindsight, I'd probably change the final round as that was a bit non-inclusive except for the teams involved...but you live and learn. Overall, I was very happy with the quiz though. I think everyone involved had a laugh and Luke & Duane surpassed my already-high expectations in making the concept a reality and hosting it. Then we got to the usual theme songs DJ set for the last hour or so.

We also went out of our way to make sure each team had a part to play and I think Luke & Duane handled this brilliantly, coming up with jokes and chants for each team etc. I love holiday-style entertainment: you know the type where you're sitting in your hotel bar in wherever you may be and think you won't get involved with the hypnotist, karaoke etc, but end up doing so anyway? I think it helps people who don't know each other bond easier and gives everyone involved a 'character', so to speak, to create an atmosphere. Controlling it, as we tried to do, also ensures that even the quieter people get involved instead of just leaving it all to the more outgoing characters (who are also crucial themselves in getting the atmosphere going to begin with). I'd like to think we achieved that, but I'm always looking to improve!

We'll keep evolving the entertainment side of things for the Rumble party, anyway, and definitely take those considerations on board in doing so (as always, I'm completely open to suggestions how if anyone has ideas! We ran the table quiz, then gave it our own twist, after hearing several people suggest doing one for SummerSlam). So thanks again for the feedback, it helps us big-time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

for the rumble you should have a 30-shot elimination tournament drinking contest, starts with two brave men at shot number one and a contestant enters (with theme music) after each round of shots until the last man is standing at shot 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

srm23 wrote: »
    for the rumble you should have a 30-shot elimination tournament drinking contest, starts with two brave men at shot number one and a contestant enters (with theme music) after each round of shots until the last man is standing at shot 30

Is the prize a stomach pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭kksaints

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Nah. There would be too many winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I wonder could ye do something like a pint drinking contest. But then again, it does sound horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

srm23 wrote: »

Who is going to pay for that though? It would have to be someone who likes drinking and who likes wasting ridiculous amounts of money.

2averyspix_opt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

no the winner will obviously go one on one with Ireland's champion drinker at the Wrestlemania party.
    The Rumble meet up will end with both men pointing at the poster for it.

Once in a lifetime!

Love it lads. There may be something there, but our hands might be tied with regards to 'responsible drinking' in bars (and also bars being too scabby to give us free shots :D). Leave it with me and I'll have a think!

Any more suggestions, keep them coming!

Everyone who turns up gets a number between 1-30, that number correstponds with an entry to the rumble - if that person wins, you win!! You could get donations (or tshirts *cough*) or if you wanna make it a big prize, ask people for 50c - 1 euro per number! Winner gets the pot!

Everyone who turns up gets a number between 1-30, that number correstponds with an entry to the rumble - if that person wins, you win!! You could get donations (or tshirts *cough*) or if you wanna make it a big prize, ask people for 50c - 1 euro per number! Winner gets the pot!

Love that idea! So much so you can almost consider it a lock for the night. :)

leggo wrote: »
    Rumble night IS happening...somewhere in the City Centre (maybe not Captain's, we're talking it over with a few locations before we decide). But yeah, I've been looking forward to the Rumble night since Mania and we're gonna pull out all the stops for it. So you're friends are safe to fly over, they won't be disappointed. :)

Soooooo... Captains have said on their Facebook page a week or two back that they're definitely showing the Rumble. leggo - have you decided if your event will be there or is there a danger that people could be split over a couple of groups?

I know there's a few weeks to go but we're entering Royal Rumble season and the excitement is starting to build!

Yep, they didn't really have the right to let the cat out of the bag like that, but the Rumble will be on there. We finalised it before Christmas and are just finalizing details for announcement in the next week or so! :) (We'd have announced sooner but given the time of year that's in it and all)

• Advertisement

Great stuff and cheers for the quick reply. I eagerly await the official announcement for some more details!

No probs. I'll have it all up here as always, anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

I'll be there and I'll be drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

I always try to watch the rumble live, so I'll be there!

734756_211967175607535_567551253_n.jpg

Event is online now! :)

http://www.facebook.com/events/442963659090594/
    We've been waiting for this one since Mania!

For the first-time ever in Ireland: watch the Royal Rumble on the big screen, surrounded by hundred of fellow wrestling fans; with a late bar, Captain's delicious food until late, plus a host of pre-show entertainment to make this a dream night for any wrestling fan, present or past!

★★★CARD★★★

30-man ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH

WWE Champion, CM PUNK vs. THE ROCK

★★★PRE-SHOW ENTERTAINMENT★★★
    (Doors from 9pm):
    *** WWE music & classic Royal Rumble matches (chosen by YOU!).
    *** Prize giveaways
    *** FREE Royal Rumble Raffle
    *** ...and more still TBC!

★★★ TICKETS ONLY €5; on-sale FRIDAY 4th JANUARY via Paypal. (We expect there to be a lot of demand for tickets for this event, so we'd advise you to buy beforehand to avoid disappointment) ★★★

On sale at the door! Arrive early to ensure you gets yours!

Stay tuned to the event and www.facebook.com/WWEIreland for all breaking news on this event!

Over-18's only; ID required.

Tickets are on-sale now.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=Z824PLE87YUU2

Allow 48 hours for delivery via email (so don't panic if you don't get your ticket sent immediately).

We're recommending people buy beforehand if possible - to avoid disappointment - because, you know yourselves, every year there's a big casual fan interest in the Rumble so we expect that to increase in the run-up. Whatever the case, I'll let you know if there are still tickets available at the door here on the day. :)

Cheers leggo. I'm finalising numbers for the group I'm bringing (seven or eight most likely) then will order some tickets. Would rather not chance it on the night.

Good stuff. You should be alright holding off for another few days anyway until you get numbers sorted. There's usually a rush on the week of the events when people actually start thinking of the show as THIS Sunday and organising their plans. So as long as you get in before then you should be grand. I'll keep you all posted here if that situation changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

A fellow boardsie mate sorted me with a ticket for this since I don't do internet finances, woot \o/

I've never watched a PPV in a bar before, usually just a few mates around to the house for the bigger ones back in the day but haven't watched one with people in ages, and the Rumble has always been my favourite ppv since I was a kid so I'm actually really looking forward to this. Anyone else planning on heading to it?

• Advertisement

I am!! But you already knew that! ;) (Galvasean will be there too - but you knew that too :p)

These events are always brilliant!! I am really looking forward to this one!! (btw Leggo - the tshirtand were sent to me on Friday - I should have them by Monday or Tuesday!!)

Advertisement