Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Blows Wrestling Parties: WrestleMania at Buskers On The Ball!

Options
  • 03-04-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭

27072404_1129629583841285_4613109576113676073_n.jpg?oh=63f5588fefd8720068999fcfaa6d7293&oe=5B1CC917

Introducting NO SPOILER MONDAYS! Starting with WWE Elimination Chamber!

Doors: 6pm - Kickoff Show: 6.30pm - PPV Starts: 7.30pm. Ends 10.30pm approx to get public transport home. We will have music before and after the event if people want to chill and chat about the show with mates.

ALL PINTS & BOTTLES JUST €5! PITCHERS €14.50! Full food menu until 9pm!

FREE to all Low Blows Network subscribers! Sign up at Patreon.com/HashtagLowBlows to claim your ticket.

NON-SUBSCRIBERS: We will sell a limited amount of tickets on the door IF there are any left after subscribers claim their tickets. Join this event and you'll get notifications if tickets are available!

Terms & Conditions
    1. Both ticket & active Low Blows Network subscription required for entry, we will have a list of current subscribers on the day and please bring photo ID to verify.
    2. Over 18’s only. ID essential. R.O.A.R.
    3. Event will be filmed for future usage by Low Blows Wrestling Parties. By attending you are consenting to your likeness being used for any and all purposes in the future promotion of all events involving Low Blows Wrestling Parties.
    4. Please ensure you buy tickets beforehand to ensure entry. Though limited tickets may be sold on the door if not sold out, there is limited capacity. We will post beforehand whether tickets will be available on the door or not.
    5. Smart casual dress code applies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Shadooby

Sounds great, I'm gonna try to get the next day off work and have a repeat of Sunday night! Again Leggo, you are a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

have a great night lads, I will make it to one of these some time, but am at the Belfast show the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thread stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Unfortunately won't be able to make a Thursday evening but good luck and hope it's another memorable night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Heading away the following day till at least July so dont think be good idea to go near this :pac:

Best of luck though with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ah tis a shame but not to worry there'll be more!

Btw lads this isn't just my thread if you organise stuff yourselves in the future post here, just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Ah with work on Friday I won't be able to make this! (I'm only back to work on tuesday from last thursday so I should really work properly) - would have been there otherwise! Enjoy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If anyone is still thinking of going to the O2 but hasn't got their tickets yet, and then this afterwards, and doesn't mind a stranger accompanying them then let me know...!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

its brilliant that this is being organised for the smackdown show next week. But to be honest, while I support every event like this, I cant say im up for going.
    The wrestlemania event was a great success thanks to leggo and because paying a fiver to watch the biggest show of the year with other wwe fans in a packed house is a no brainer.
    This event is flawed to be honest. As leggo is already probably aware the market as such for this is much smaller. And speaking for myself, after traveling to the o2, spending a few hours yelling and screaming during the show, I'll be wrecked coming out of the venue, probably head straight for the hotel a few mins away. My point is that it's not very appealing venturing up to grafton street at 10pm or whatever after several hours of wwe action etc. In a nutshell whats the incentive? Sure meet up with a couple of other fans for a laugh, but being a thursday night also with work etc- not a great idea.
    This is just all contructive advice I hope!, i really want these events to succeed. Would it not be a better idea to have this going BEFORE the smackdown show? Better turnout i'd say, more energy for the show etc :)
    In saying that I'm sure there's a number of people really up for and excited for this and ultimately it's only a good thing either way :)

No offence taken at all man, thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to replicate the Mania event, there'll be nothing like that kind of interest until Mania 29 at least.

The idea behind this, and to be honest it originated with Captain's I just came up with the concept for the night itself (as far as I was concerned that was that til August, but I liked their idea when they said it to me), is for a come down to hang out after the show.

Rather than the Mania event being a big build-up to the show with a wild atmosphere when it began, this is more a good way to unwind, have some beers, discuss the show and even play some video games with fans afterwards. I know after gigs etc I'm often buzzing and wanting somewhere to go to put a nice full stop on the night...if I could go to a place surrounded by people who'd just been to the same gig and thus on the same vibe as me, I'd love it.

Like I said in the OP, not expecting nearly as big a crowd as the Mania party, just people who are still on a high and looking for something to do to wind down. I suspect a lot still will end up looking for something to do. But both Captain's and I are still entering uncharted territory for this in Ireland, so we're still gauging what exactly it is fans want and trying to provide it. So by all means any and all thoughts are welcome and helpful! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Would go with our party cos we will be looking for something to do but we have an under 18 with us so prob head to a hotel or something so he can come.

Would go with our party cos we will be looking for something to do but we have an under 18 with us so prob head to a hotel or something so he can come.

Might have something for you yet, spending today sorting some stuff out. Hope to have it all sorted and announced tonight. :)

Okay so I've listened to feedback received here, on Facebook and Twitter, talked with Captain's and we've made some big changes to the event that'll hopefully give everyone what they're looking for on the day.

***It'll be an all-day event now split into before and after the show, so people can come down after the Smyth's autograph signing or just hang out before and/or after the show.
    ***Under-18's welcome to daytime event if you're going with children. Post-show event over-18's only.
    ***Wristbands (€5 adults; €2.50 children; available at the door on the day) buy you access to either or both events.
    ***WWE '12 available to play on the big screen at both, free with wristband.
    ***€3 pints and cocktails all day and night!
    ***Wristband also entitles you to 2-for-1 main courses! if you want to get some grub beforehand (not including steak meals).
    ***All rock/indie/alternative DJ set also at evening event.

Hopefully this means nobody needs to miss out now. Check out the Facebook event for full info and if you've any questions, fire them at me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Unstuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

How did this go actually? Didn't make it up for the show this time around but would love something like this after a show. Would be great if it was a success.

Ah it was quiet tbh, too short notice to spread the word properly unfortunately and some of the feedback we got was that people thought it was too far to trek from Smyth's after the signing and others had kids with them or were going 'on the stalk' after the show.

We still made a big deal of the people that did show though (wrestling has it instilled into me to give 100% whether there's 10 or 1,000 people there), doing commentary for the kids playing WWE '12 beforehand and offering some of the people who showed up a game without having to buy a wristband (those that did still got the cheap drinks/meal).

Not to worry, knew it was a risk but it was one that was worth taking! I'd like to run a night for SummerSlam and then I've something very special in mind for when WWE return in November that, if it comes together, you'll want to make sure you're there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I was the only one there for the pre-show the waitress didnt want to have to serve us because we where up the back and I had to go down twice to ask to be served Have to say it was a total letdown It was 12.50 for the wristbands and it would have been cheepen just to buy food and drink

I counted about 15 for the pre-show though they were spread between the restaurant and the live area up until approx 6.30pm.

I apologise if you feel it was a let-down, unfortunately putting on an event I can't control numbers that do show (as promoter, obviously I would much prefer hundreds, I'm sure you recognise that).

Like I said, we did our best to make the day worthwhile for all involved even using our own guys to play against kids who had come with their parents and had nobody to play games against and providing commentary to make the games a bit of an event for them. In the evening, we ran much later than advised by Captain's even though we could have easily called it a day earlier given poor turnout, because I wanted to ensure that those who did show felt they were justified in doing so.

Prices were exactly as advertised and I assure you that if you availed of the offers available then you saved money. If you have any complaints about customer service you would like me to pass onto Captain's, feel free to do so.

If you'd like, could you please suggest how you feel we could have been of better value to you so we'll know for next time? As members here know, I take great pride in these events and strive to do my absolute best to put on a good day/night for everyone. So, once again, I sincerely apologise if you felt let down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think unless there's a cant-miss big ppv match that's been built well, paying into Captains & staying up til 4am in town will be a hard sell for the majority. I really hope these events do take off as seeing ppv with a big wrestling crowd is fantastic.

My bro randomly asked me when the next PPV captains showing would be. I'd personally love to go for Extreme Rules :) its been a consistently better show than mania and Brock's return! I suppose it's got hardcore wrestling fan appeal but wouldnt those who went to captains be hardcore wrestling fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

It was obvious at least to me this event was going to be unsuccessful. For one thing there was absolutely little to no discussion/excitement on this thread whatsoever about the event, and not a single post from anyone aknowledging the update leggo posted. Guys hollering "tickets to captain america's" outside smyths didnt help either given it means nothing to a wrestling fan!
    My take on it is this: Thursday for any wwe fan traveling to Dublin city centre was all about the smackdown event in the o2 that evening. Second to that for anyone who was aware of it was the Daniel bryan/aj signing in smyths. And a distant third (even less people aware of this than the signing I suspect) was this wrestlemania revenge pre/post party. So ultimately this party could never have been a priority for people that day even though the idea of it was good. I arrived in Dublin 2ish after a lengthy train journey,checked into hotel, stood around for hour to meet Daniel Bryan at 3.30 and was free at 4.30ish after that. I had two options 1. walk all the way to grafton for this party knowing hardly no-one was going to be there for the scarce hour before the smackdown show,part ways with a fiver(play a game I have at home? get a meal deal where the saving equals the fiver i spent?) or 2. relax in my hotel for little bit until the show. Easy choice. As for going post party, like I said before,coming out of the o2 at 10 or after,knackered(spending whole day walking,traveling etc)with hotel few mins away- treking up to grafton was a big no no.
    For wrestling events in Captains to succeed I would say stick to having ppv parties, summerslam etc. At least then everyone can turn up specifically for that event,justify the fiver and not have any big distractions. There simply has to be some great incentives for people to attend(especially outside dublin) to make good numbers. Just my opinion :)

• Advertisement

Fire away lads, I appreciate all of this feedback! :)

If it was up to me on a strictly personal basis, I'd love to run an event a month for WWE PPVs, say "whoever shows, shows, we'll have a good night either way" and do it. And, do you know what, within the next few years I think that will be the way it is. Whether I'm running the nights or not. I think we just have to get the word around to wrestling fans that this is happening now and it's good. But it's a while until we get to that stage yet.

The way I see it now, Extreme Rules is a definite no-no, simply because even though it looks like a great card: three events within a month is simply pushing it too much. I've thought to myself since day one "If another Money in the Bank 2011-type situation comes up, we need to have a night then." Could you imagine being in Captain's, surrounded by wrestling fans, for that event with Punk and Bryan winning? It was an unreal moment for me watching with one other person in an apartment, streaming it on Sky Mobile! But, failing a huge PPV by WWE (and I'll keep a close eye to see if they do), SummerSlam is the next realistic goal.

As far as this event goes, I knew myself it was a big, big risk and was going to get nothing like the interest of the Mania party. But, as I thought myself and Captain's said to me, with 7,000 odd wrestling fans in the city...it's at least worth a shot if we can come up with a good idea that's worthwhile for fans. We were asking WWE fans to change their routine for live shows and didn't have nearly the amount of time to give you guys to adjust to the idea and re-build your plans to accommodate it (by the time we announced it, most people had their plans set in stone). I was also raging that I only came up with, and was able to cost and confirm, the idea of the pre-show event a couple days before the show.

But, like I said, it was a risk worth taking. It didn't go as well as it could have but we still learned valuable lessons that will make future events better, so ultimately it was worthwhile. And, as soon as I realised it wasn't working, my only concern became to make sure people felt justified in their €5 wristband price.

Ultimately, all I want to do is find what fans want and maybe come up with a few extra things - given my experience in other areas - that fans mightn't realise they want yet, but when they try them they do. For example, playing WWE '12 on the big screen? Ridiculously more fun than it should be for a grown-up! The child in me was gutted when Captain's told us we couldn't spend the 3 hours while the show was on playing in the room by ourselves.

The ultimate goal, though, is to give you all an opportunity to get together and get the best possible fan experience out of wrestling that you can. We've never had that in the country, wrestling fans are like the red-headed stepchilds of sports fans as far as this stuff is concerned. And it shouldn't be that way. There's way too many of us out there. So let's change that ourselves, I say.

For example: I wish I could tell you all now about the ideas I have for when WWE come back in November. We're about 90% of the way towards making it happening too, it's just actually dotting i's and crossing t's when the time is right. I know for a fact right now that it's going to be amazing. But a lot could change between now and then, so I won't tempt fate by saying too much.

Just throwing it out there, but for nights themed around WWE's house shows in the 02; maybe consider something in the Point Village (which is across the road from the 02) (i.e. Harry's Bar or a room in Gibson's Hotel)? it'd be a lot easier to convince people who're already going to the 02 to pop over for a bit before/afterwards. I dunno if you deal exclusively with Captains but tis just an idea :)

In any case, a lot of people on boards and off including myself appreciate what you're doing for the PW community leggo :)

Defo worth looking into man, cheers for the suggestion. Hopefully they're not snobby when it comes to WWE!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I have to get up to Dublin for a meet up

Alright guys,

We're launching this tonight but I wanted to give you guys the first scoop:

Since the Mania party, I've went away, planned and recruited some wrestling fans with experience in this field to help out. And we've come up with the below Facebook page where we'll have updates about upcoming parties:

http://www.facebook.com/WWEIreland
    (delighted we got that URL, by the way)

If you'd share it with your own friends on Facebook, Twitter etc, I'd massively appreciate it.

However, I also want to use it as a social page, with PPV chats and so on so wrestling fans can get to know each other. I'm also happy to spread the word about other Irish wrestling things via the page, so say there's a new Boards PW Podcast online then mail me on a link and I'll plug it via the page. Same goes for local indy shows and so on. No catch, just spreading the good word, this is all a passion project for me.

I also have a SummerSlam party in the works with big, ambitious plans. The pre-show will be bigger than Mania, for example. I'll have to see what interest is like, first, though and this is a part of gauging that, getting feedback and being able to do stuff that you guys would really like. I'll still post everything here, too, of course. Can't forget that this place is where it all started. :)

Now let the games begin, again! :D

Lol I went into this thread with my hopes of another WWE party plan! I imagine since its not mania, most would wait until the card's announced to decide to go, as WWE's been pretty shaky since Brock left. Fairly sure u'll see a bump in interest whenever brock comes back post-MITB and shoots his angle with HHH. Regardless though, I can comfortably say myself and at least two other friends will be there if you're doing SummerSlam! :)

Aye, it's always going to be nervy when I'm relying on WWE not to be ****e, but fingers crossed. :D I've got the go-ahead anyway to run parties when I think there's the interest, so it's just a case of putting it all together now.

Alright guys, going to be posting this on Facebook and Twitter etc in a couple of hours, but thought I'd give you the heads up first.

We're doing a SummerSlam party officially!

I just wrote up a blog about CM Punk and how wrestling is changing, and released full info on the event at the end of it. Here's the link if you're interested.

Could I just ask that you just keep it to yourselves and avoid sharing until I make it official later? (after I announce it on the WWE Parties Page and Twitter, though, share away as I'd appreciate spreading the word as much as possible. Just want to keep it boards exclusive for people who are reading it now, for the next couple hours)

Hope to see you all there again this time! :)

Here's the event page on Facebook. Full info:
    Yes. Yes. YES!

After the success of the first-ever WWE WrestleMania Party in Dublin in April, let's do it all again for WWE SummerSlam this 19th August.

Watch the full PPV on the big screen, surrounded by hundreds of fellow wrestling fans; with a late bar, Captain's delicious food until late, plus a host of pre-show entertainment to make this a dream night for any wrestling fan, present or past.

Card (so far):
    TRIPLE H vs. Former UFC/WWE Champion, BROCK LESNAR

Rumoured:
    WWE Champion, CM PUNK vs. JOHN CENA/THE ROCK

World Champion, SHEAMUS vs. ALBERTO DEL RIO/DOLPH ZIGGLER

DANIEL BRYAN vs. CHARLIE SHEEN

Pre-show:
    *** Classic WWE SummerSlam matches on all screens, to be chosen by YOU!
    *** WWE music in the background.
    *** Plus a WWE special, live taping of iTunes sports podcast, 'The AMT Sportscast', featuring former Irish tag-team/radio duo, Anger Management (Ragin' Rick Nash & Angry Andy), and further guests to be announced.

The show kicks off at 9pm and will go on until the end of the PPV. Arrive early to get the best seats, but we'll have seating to accommodate everyone.

Tickets are only €5, a fraction of the cost of paying for the PPV at home! Tickets will be for sale online beforehand, further info to be released ASAP.

Stay tuned to www.Facebook.com/WWEIreland for the latest updates, chatter about the event.

Over 18's only. ID essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Sounds sweet man. I'm a teetotaller though, do many of the marks hit the beer hard I wondered?

Advertisement