Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

I am not 100% sure but think it's only Google duo video calling, for me duo has better quality than Facebook messenger or whatsup but similar to Skype.
    Yes it's expensive but JBL link view with camera is 400 euro in Ireland and 250 dollars is USA so similar price but smaller screen only 8 inch.
    I will wait for promotions in official Google UK store they have few times per year promotions, you can send to parcel motel in northern Ireland and Irish credit card should works too, last time I was buying Chromecast via Google store and used parcel motel and it worked.

Out of curiosity, do you know many who do video calling ? I don't have Facebook, and as much as I have tried to get friends to do a video chat on whatsapp no one ever seems pushed - might just be my circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

jogdish wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, do you know many who do video calling ? I don't have Facebook, and as much as I have tried to get friends to do a video chat on whatsapp no one ever seems pushed - might just be my circle.

Jesus no, you video call family who are away, I've never video called a friend, nor would I want to. I'm away regular for work and video call home every evening. I've a sister in New York I've been video calling her weekly for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 luckyluke87

Actually my whole family and friends are using Skype messenger whatsup and Google duo
    Google duo is mostly pre installed on most android smartphones and it's easy to use you have to confirm your phone number and that's it.
    For me the worst quality is on messenger it freezes convection every few minutes loosing signals etc. But sometimes people don't want to install another app.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm looking forward to this. I have 3 Nest cameras and the smaller Hub so it should slot in nicely.

Google just announced nest hub max with camera that's what I was waiting for, if course you have kill switch for camera so nobody will spy at you
    Nest hub max will be 250 dollars.

Sorry for wrong info but nest hub max will be available for 229 dollars not 250. Just watched the verge video.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to this. I have 3 Nest cameras and the smaller Hub so it should slot in nicely.

I have one question, if you have 3 nest cameras could you record and send to cloud something like Google drive automatically and when space in cloud is full is it possible to overwrite it?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

I have one question, if you have 3 nest cameras could you record and send to cloud something like Google drive automatically and when space in cloud is full is it possible to overwrite it?

No, at the moment you need a Nest Aware subscription to record video which is stored for 5-, 10- or 30 days, depending on your subscription. You also need a subscription for each camera.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

RunDMC wrote: »
    No, at the moment you need a Nest Aware subscription to record video which is stored for 5-, 10- or 30 days, depending on your subscription. You also need a subscription for each camera.

R

i wonder with the nest max camera, its going to be fixed sort of tilted at an angle looking up so not sure of the value of it as a indoor security camera? i have a nest indoor iq and its great - already have a home hub and its great for seeing who's at the door etc when someone presses the nest hello doorbell. i might replace with a max as ill be in the states over the summer anyway and might move the hub to the bedroom as an alarm clock..

A 127° field of view is pretty decent but a lot of what it would see is dependent on where abouts in a room you'd place it. It's not going to be a replacement for a dedicated nest indoor camera but it's a nice supplementary option.
    We have a nest indoor for the toddlers room and we keep an eye on her when we're sitting on the sofa in the living room in the evening. So having the Nest Hub Max already in the living room doing the same role but with the addition of its own camera will be nice while away on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i wonder with the nest max camera, its going to be fixed sort of tilted at an angle looking up so not sure of the value of it as a indoor security camera? i have a nest indoor iq and its great - already have a home hub and its great for seeing who's at the door etc when someone presses the nest hello doorbell. i might replace with a max as ill be in the states over the summer anyway and might move the hub to the bedroom as an alarm clock..

They showed off a duo call during the keynote and made a point that if you move around the room the camera will follow you and automatically keep you in focus. So I'm guessing it has a pretty wide viewing angle, and i'm sure it is tilted down to offset the angle of the hub itself.

• Advertisement

So this morning around 2am asked my Hub to play the radio, unable to play local/rte/bbc any radio at all, unable to tell me the time, unable to give driving directions etc.
    About an hour later all working fine,

Not sure if this is hub specific, but I have my home hub and I ask it to play the radio, plays no issues.

However the Google Home app says the hub is not connected and does not see it playing anything, this becomes an issue since I cannot cast to my home hub, nor adjust the volume via the phone screen.

Seems to be random and a power on/off usually 'fixes' the issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The max is £100 more than the original, anyone have the max yet and of so is the extra 3 inch screen size and camera worth 100 pounds?

https://www.johnlewis.com/google-nest-hub-max-hands-free-smart-home-controller-with-10-inch-screen/p4391263?searchTerm=Home+hub+max

Anyone have the nest hello and home hub? When someone pressed the doorbell the video feed used to show on the home hub. It doesn't any more. I can say hey Google show me the front door and I can see the video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Anyone have the nest hello and home hub? When someone pressed the doorbell the video feed used to show on the home hub. It doesn't any more. I can say hey Google show me the front door and I can see the video

I have both and the video feed still shows on the hub if someone rings the bell.

The max is £100 more than the original, anyone have the max yet and of so is the extra 3 inch screen size and camera worth 100 pounds?

https://www.johnlewis.com/google-nest-hub-max-hands-free-smart-home-controller-with-10-inch-screen/p4391263?searchTerm=Home+hub+max

Thinking of getting it next month so unless someone replies to you before me, I'll let you know when/if I get it.

I had do not disturb set to on on the home hub..all set now
    T-b0n3 wrote: »

I have both and the video feed still shows on the hub if someone rings the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

21% off the UK Google Store today (including the Hub Max). However, they don't ship to Ireland and it can be hit and miss if they process orders for shipment through the likes of Address Pal etc. though.

JDxtra wrote: »
    21% off the UK Google Store today (including the Hub Max). However, they don't ship to Ireland and it can be hit and miss if they process orders for shipment through the likes of Address Pal etc. though.
    Tempted but might wait till black Friday.. would be Xmas gift for myself so bit of time yet. Already have three nest aware subscriptions... I assume this would need another to get the best out of the camera?

You awful human being :)

I don't really have the funds for it this month but with £45 off it was hard to resist. Hopefully they deliver now.

• Advertisement

Did you use parcel motel or address pal?

You awful human being :)

I don't really have the funds for it this month but with £45 off it was hard to resist. Hopefully they deliver now.

Did you use parcel motel or address pal?

I've used the Google UK Store a few times (including for the Nest Hub) and never had an issue - I normally use Address Pal. I've put an order in for the Max, so will let you know if it is accepted and shipped.

Tempted but might wait till black Friday.. would be Xmas gift for myself so bit of time yet. Already have three nest aware subscriptions... I assume this would need another to get the best out of the camera?

Personally, I don't think I'll add a subscription to the Max (if they ship it to me!). A dedicated Nest Camera would be better, but I'll see how it looks first - the fixed camera angle would be main issue.

I think there is also a Google hardware event October 15th, (not a 100% sure ) so perhaps shifting old stock .

I think there is also a Google hardware event October 15th, (not a 100% sure ) so perhaps shifting old stock .

Perhaps but the Nest Max is a new item so a £45 discount is pretty sweet and I can't see it being much lower than that on Black Friday.

I have 3 Nest cameras at the moment so the Nest Max is a nice addition to the range. The subscription allows you to go back and look at events that happened in the past, create clips etc. Even with a subscription I'm not too sure how useful that would be on this. In saying that, if you have a subscription with them already they give you a discount for additional devices so a 5 day subscription for this would work out about €30 for the year.

I have 3 Nest cameras at the moment so the Nest Max is a nice addition to the range. The subscription allows you to go back and look at events that happened in the past, create clips etc. Even with a subscription I'm not too sure how useful that would be on this. In saying that, if you have a subscription with them already they give you a discount for additional devices so a 5 day subscription for this would work out about €30 for the year.
    Yeah I have the hello, indoor iq camera and standard outdoor camera at the back of the house all running subs. Starts to add up after a while. I have a home hub already so not sure I really need the max.. the bigger screen would be nicer to see who's at the door when the bell is rung.. id imagine there will be as cheap around black Friday. I picked up the hub for 99 pounds on black Friday. Think it was 139 lost price.. anyhow I'll try and avoid this thread for the rest of the day ;)

Max is on the way! :)

ahOqkBd.jpg

Max is on the way! :)

ahOqkBd.jpg

Same here, whoop whoop. Now all I have to do is endure the wrath of the missus.

It's arrived in Parcel Motel Dublin already so it'll most likely be Monday when I get my grubby hands on it.

• Advertisement

I can't believe how quick it arrived. I got a message this evening that it was in my local parcel motel. It's sitting here now on the sideboard looking comically large. The home hub was a perfect size for the little sideboard by our sofa. The Max dominates it.

Advertisement