Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

So Nest Hello Video Doorbell for Google and Ring Doorbells for Alexa. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

any idea when these will become available in the republic.. or why they are not available!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

any idea when these will become available in the republic.. or why they are not available!

There always seems to be a delay between Google releasing hardware in US/Uk before finally making it here. I'd assume just due to us being a small market.

But buying one from the UK and using it here works fine, I have one and I'm pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Does anyone know if there's a way to get Irish Rail / DART times via the Home Hub / Mini / Google Assistant in general?

Apologies, I'm on mobile and can't search the thread effectively!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I have found the microphone on the home hub to be a lot worse than the one on my minis. My only complaint with it, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

When playing a pod cast at night, the screen on mine is staying lit with the pod cast title and progress bar - is there a way for it to return to the dim basic clock like it is during night.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

jogdish wrote: »
    When playing a pod cast at night, the screen on mine is staying lit with the pod cast title and progress bar - is there a way for it to return to the dim basic clock like it is during night.

Doesn't swiping right a few times bring it to the clock?

garion wrote: »
    Doesn't swiping right a few times bring it to the clock?
    Yes, but I was hoping there was some night mode setting that would disable the podcast screen by default

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yes, but I was hoping there was some night mode setting that would disable the podcast screen by default

I think "Hey Google . . . Ambient mode" does it without a response from Google IIRC.

Could also make it part of a routine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Has anyone disabled YouTube on this? Our 21 month old was content enough with scrolling through the photos but is hooked on YouTube now. The hub sits about eye level with her on a sideboard in the living room so it's just perfect for her, the little fecker:

473975.jpg

I suspect I'll be given an ultimatum to either disable YouTube or remove the hub altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Has anyone disabled YouTube on this? Our 21 month old was content enough with scrolling through the photos but is hooked on YouTube now. The hub sits about eye level with her on a sideboard in the living room so it's just perfect for her, the little fecker:

473975.jpg

I suspect I'll be given an ultimatum to either disable YouTube or remove the hub altogether.

i googled....

https://support.google.com/googlehome/thread/535568?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

looking to purchase one of these soon enough, have a new kitchen put in so will replace the Google home device I have, that will go to my bedroom and the mini moved to the kids room.

Anyone know of one for sale drop me a pm if able.

Cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Wonder if those users are in the US or another country as the options mentioned don't appear in my Google home app?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wonder if those users are in the US or another country as the options mentioned don't appear in my Google home app?

Yep, the reason I had asked is I had found that link (thanks anyway Mick) but it doesn't seem to apply to the vrsion of the app we have. They are talking about digital wellbeing but that doesn't seem to be in the app anywhere. I have a Pixel 3 and there is a digital wellbeing app but seemingly without the ability to apply a filter, something which was mentioned several times in that link.

So far as I can see, there's actually no way right now of us over here being able to block YouTube from showing up on it. I'd love to be corrected.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mojor wrote:
    Does anyone have a doorbell camera setup that work with Google Home Hub? "Hey Google, show me the front door"

Works on Android TV and any tv with a Chromecast too

Stoner wrote: »
    Works on Android TV and any tv with a Chromecast too

The nice thing about the hub i find is that it shows the doorbell video when its pressed... before id be reaching for the phone to see who it was but now can just glance over to the corner and see the video on the hub

The nice thing about the hub i find is that it shows the doorbell video when its pressed... before id be reaching for the phone to see who it was but now can just glance over to the corner and see the video on the hub
    What type of bell/camera is it?

What type of bell/camera is it?
    Nest hello

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

I have a Home Hub and a Lenovo Smart display and have a lot of issues with BBC6 music in that the stream dies after a few minutes or doesn't start at all. Very occasionally it will operate as normal. No issues with BBC6 on my echo or google home minis.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What is the cheapest place to get one of these at the moment? 109gbp in John Lewis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What is the cheapest place to get one of these at the moment? 109gbp in John Lewis?

It's £139. Google UK Store probably easier, not sure if John Lewis will ship that to Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

They ship if you Pacel Motel /Parcel Wizard etc

Google have been known to cancel Irish orders unless you use a Revolute card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They ship if you Pacel Motel /Parcel Wizard etc

Google have been known to cancel Irish orders unless you use a Revolute card.

Oh, I've been lucky I guess. Bunch of stuff ordered through UK store including a Home Hub with no issues.

Is there any way to change the colour / brightness of the clock on the black background? without adjusting the auto dimming.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I just hopped in the car and drove up north. Easy peasy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

PreCocious wrote: »
    I have a Home Hub and a Lenovo Smart display and have a lot of issues with BBC6 music in that the stream dies after a few minutes or doesn't start at all. Very occasionally it will operate as normal. No issues with BBC6 on my echo or google home minis.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

I play BBC6 music on my hub every weekend without issue.

Asked it "play the latest episode of BBC newshour podcast" nothing working, was fine the other night - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 luckyluke87

Google just announced nest hub max with camera that's what I was waiting for, if course you have kill switch for camera so nobody will spy at you
    Nest hub max will be 250 dollars.

Google just announced nest hub max with camera that's what I was waiting for, if course you have kill switch for camera so nobody will spy at you
    Nest hub max will be 250 dollars.

Is it only video calling via Duo? Looks nice and I like the hand/face gesture things, but kinda expensive at the moment for me - and honestly I very rarly take advantage of my own hubs screen :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 luckyluke87

Is it only video calling via Duo? Looks nice and I like the hand/face gesture things, but kinda expensive at the moment for me - and honestly I very rarly take advantage of my own hubs screen :(

I am not 100% sure but think it's only Google duo video calling, for me duo has better quality than Facebook messenger or whatsup but similar to Skype.
    Yes it's expensive but JBL link view with camera is 400 euro in Ireland and 250 dollars is USA so similar price but smaller screen only 8 inch.
    I will wait for promotions in official Google UK store they have few times per year promotions, you can send to parcel motel in northern Ireland and Irish credit card should works too, last time I was buying Chromecast via Google store and used parcel motel and it worked.

Advertisement