Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anschutz model 54 22 lr

Options
  • 25-06-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hello Hope this is the right place to ask this question? remove if not , is there a few models that has the 54 action , thinking of getting one for target shooting , is single shot specifically for target competition and can you use magazine for competition , is there a strict code for competition , and is there a Anschutz dealer here , Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

retro d wrote: »
    Hello Hope this is the right place to ask this question?
    Exactly the right place.#
    is there a few models that has the 54 action
    I believe so. Open to correction or amendment but they include the 1430, 1710, 1913, 1917, 2013, etc , I don't know them all nor pretend to. Interesting part is you can get the 54 action in hunter as well as target rifle, but you want to look at the match 54 series for target work (stocks, etc. are better suited).
    thinking of getting one for target shooting ,
    Great rifle, and budget is as much as you want to spend.
    is single shot specifically for target competition
    Generally yes, but not always. Some comps dictate a single shot and others don't. Single shot with a rifle with a mag is as simple as single loading with a blocker/empty mag in the mag well so the next round is not fed from the mag.
    and can you use magazine for competition ,
    For some sporting comps yes, for others i believe its single shot only. Been away from rimfire comp shooting (benchrest, etc) for a while.
    is there a strict code for competition ,
    Depends on the comp. For benchrest there are strict rules which can be found on the websites of each association and they dictate rifle weight, scope mag (there are limits on the magnification you can use for each variation of the sport).

For sporting there are rules, but they're generally looser than benchrest.
    and is there a Anschutz dealer here , Thanks
    It used to be Ardee sports, but i believe McCLoys in Antrim now supply the South ona "per shop" basis. IOW if a dealer wants one. GMK in the UK is, and again i stand open to correction, the main supplier.

What type of shooting you into? Benchrest, sporting, etc.

Also do you want a dual purpose rifle or are you all about the competition?

Have you a rimfire rifle now? What is it?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

Cass wrote: »
    Exactly the right place.#

I believe so. Open to correction or amendment but they include the 1430, 1710, 1913, 1917, 2013, etc , I don't know them all nor pretend to. Interesting part is you can get the 54 action in hunter as well as target rifle, but you want to look at the match 54 series for target work (stocks, etc. are better suited).

Great rifle, and budget is as much as you want to spend.

Generally yes, but not always. Some comps dictate a single shot and others don't. Single shot with a rifle with a mag is as simple as single loading with a blocker/empty mag in the mag well so the next round is not fed from the mag.

For some sporting comps yes, for others i believe its single shot only. Been away from rimfire comp shooting (benchrest, etc) for a while.

Depends on the comp. For benchrest there are strict rules which can be found on the websites of each association and they dictate rifle weight, scope mag (there are limits on the magnification you can use for each variation of the sport).

For sporting there are rules, but they're generally looser than benchrest.

It used to be Ardee sports, but i believe McCLoys in Antrim now supply the South ona "per shop" basis. IOW if a dealer wants one. GMK in the UK is, and again i stand open to correction, the main supplier.

What type of shooting you into? Benchrest, sporting, etc.

Also do you want a dual purpose rifle or are you all about the competition?

Have you a rimfire rifle now? What is it?
    Cass fair play to ya , you go out of your way to answer questions it’s a credit too ya ,I don’t have a rimfire anymore Sold it , it was a cz455 laminate thumbhole that was a beauty with 20 inch barrel, I like the benchrest style single shot no mag pinpoint accuracy, would like to see each model in action before I choose any videos out there maybe YouTube, and if I got benchrest style can that be used for sporting competitions because of the looser rules

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

I am yet to get my first firearm but joined a club last February. I'm not hunting, just target shooting using a .22LR rifle (prone/standing/bench/silhouette) and from reading your questions I can honestly say that if at all possible you should make contact with a club that has a range and go have a face to face chat with the members there. Even if you don't have a local club - find your nearest one and make a date to make the trip there for a look. I think you'll be offered a wealth of advice from friendly, enthisiastic people if other clubs are anything like mine. You may be able to have a hands on with a 54 actioned Anschutz if anyone there has one and most likely you'll find people who can talk to you until the cows come home on 54 actions! (The 1710 and 1712 are magazine fed sporters that I've seen in my club)

GooseB wrote: »
    I am yet to get my first firearm but joined a club last February. I'm not hunting, just target shooting using a .22LR rifle (prone/standing/bench/silhouette) and from reading your questions I can honestly say that if at all possible you should make contact with a club that has a range and go have a face to face chat with the members there. Even if you don't have a local club - find your nearest one and make a date to make the trip there for a look. I think you'll be offered a wealth of advice from friendly, enthisiastic people if other clubs are anything like mine. You may be able to have a hands on with a 54 actioned Anschutz if anyone there has one and most likely you'll find people who can talk to you until the cows come home on 54 actions! (The 1710 and 1712 are magazine fed sporters that I've seen in my club)
    Thanks Gooseb , yes a hands on approach would be the way to go for sure , have you made up your mind which one you would go for , I used to be in the MNSCI but didn’t have the bobs to renew my membership at the time , fabulous place and a great bunch of lads up there with the world of advice must join that place again

it was a cz455 laminate thumbhole that was a beauty with 20 inch barrel,
    Lovely rifle, had one in .17hmr. Little tack drivers.
    I like the benchrest style single shot no mag pinpoint accuracy, would like to see each model in action before I choose any videos out there maybe YouTube,
    I honestly don't know as i watch very little in terms of youtube videos on shooting. They're either American (so useless to us here) or so far away from what you want to know as to be pointless.

Your best bet is to search a few sites like the NRBAI. Homerhop is a good point of contact too. Then visit a few ranges when shoots are being held and see what the lads are using. It'll surprise you to see "regular" rifles being used as target rifles, but the more target orientated the higher the spec of the rifles (and the cost) becomes.

This is my old Anschutz:

It's a dedicated BR (benchrest rifle). It weighs in at 13lbs, has a fixed power 36 scope, built on an ANschutz Match 54 action (no mag well) and X-designated barrel with a Rosewood stock and custom paint job. It could produce repeatable groups so tight you'd mistake them for one hole and i don't mean a ragged hole i mean a clean, single, hole.

However for anything other than shooting from a bench is was useless. Too heavy to carry, single shot with no mag well, etc.
    if I got benchrest style can that be used for sporting competitions because of the looser rules
    Sporting rimfire is more fun. The rules are more "relaxed" and it's not as disciplined as BR. There are variations of sporting rifle, and some are just plain hunting style target shooting.

One of the best rifles for an all rounder would be the Anschutz 1710D. It's designed a hunting style rifle, but built on the 54 series action so accuracy is guaranteed. I had both the 1710 on the 54 action and the MPR on the 64 action in the picture below (1710 is third from the top, and the 64 is next one down):

There is a difference in performance and the 1710 could not only match the 64, it could beat it even though the 64 was sold/marketed as a pure target rifle.

Now don't get me wrong the difference between the two is small, but when it comes to rimfire comps and target shooting small is relative with tenths of millimetres being the difference between winning and not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

beautiful rifles there mate and that benchrest looks gorgeous and it looks heavy the weight helps with accuracy I presume, I have a look at that 1710D with 54 action for sure mate, your advice and knowledge is Gold mate really appreciate it Cass Thank you

.... it looks heavy the weight helps with accuracy I presume,
    The reason for the weight is simple, i used it as a free recoil rifle. IOW i never actually touched/held the rifle. Only two fingers, one of the back of the trigger guard and the other on the trigger. Once i found my wind condition i fired. With the 22lr having basically no recoil, and over 13lb of rifle there is no movement of the rifle when fired. Plus the trigger was set at about 4oz. A strong wind would set it off. :D

Another feature of the rifle is no mag well. This means the action is solid and this extra strength means less possibility of the rifle having any movement, better harmonics, and when it was bedded it had more surface area to marry to the action and so i got a much better bedding job. This is why BR shooters prefer single shot rifles over mag fed.
    I have a look at that 1710D with 54 action for sure mate,
    They're a fantastic rifle, sorry i sold mine. Also hard as chickens teeth to find these days. Any that come up for sale go quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I see there is one knocking about in the for sale section. Nice looking gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Before you buy your rifle, decide what disciplines you want to shoot with it, if its solely benchrest check out the weight categories, and buy the rifle that falls into that category, if you want something that you can shoot other disciplines with such as the NASRPC events they have sporting rifle events up to 10.5lb max, and an open class in Field Sporting Prone where anything above that weight can be used if you want to shoot prone using bi-pod and back bag.

The weight of the rifle will dictate all the disciplines you shoot. Anschutz make good rifles I have a 1710 myself , but there are other options out there if you want to get into the all bells and whistles Heavy varmint benchrest shooting.
    You will get the rules on firearms and weight here.
    http://nrbai.yolasite.com/
    http://nasrpc.ie/sporting-rifle/

They're a fantastic rifle, sorry i sold mine. Also hard as chickens teeth to find these days. Any that come up for sale go quick.

Your quote above Cass
    Cass can you buy them new or is it just that particular 1710D model , if I get a sporting model and then down the road get a benchrest model , I like the sound of that benchrest style of shooting where it’s down to the harmonics of the gun , and even the wind could pull the trigger haha fantastic style of shooting

• Advertisement

Cass can you buy them new or is it just that particular 1710D model
    You can buy new, but they're not the old model which has a few aesthetic features the new ones don't. It's just a style thing i prefer, nothing to do on performance.

https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?menu=106&sprache=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Outdoor sports in mullingar do them rifles

You can buy new, but they're not the old model which has a few aesthetic features the new ones don't. It's just a style thing i prefer, nothing to do on performance.

https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?menu=106&sprache=1

Ok I hear ya , I like the look of the 1710 HB ES G-28 Kelbly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Hello Hope this is the right place to ask this question? remove if not , is there a few models that has the 54 action , thinking of getting one for target shooting , is single shot specifically for target competition and can you use magazine for competition , is there a strict code for competition , and is there a Anschutz dealer here , Thanks

Cass has most of this answered above but to elaborate on a few points...

There are several 54 actioned options in the range yes.
    The current field sporters can be seen here
    and the match rifles are here

Apart from the obvious, the principal differences will be that the match rifles will be built to tighter tolerances, won't accommodate a magazine, will generally be a LOT heavier, and will usually have triggers which can be adjusted to far lighter pull weights.

Single shot rifles are not specifically required for many disciplines but they do generally produce greater accuracy (we're talking less than 1/8" at 50yards though so you need to need it before it's worth looking for). ISSF prone and 3P are single shot specific but most others have no problem with magazine fed rifles AFAIK. There are also single shot adapters available for magazine rifles which can be used where magazines are not permitted. Match stocks will also have all the required rails for slings, props, and diopter sights as well as more fine tuning options.

The current national Anschutz dealer is Outdoorsports.ie

For what it's worth, unless you're absolutely dead set on shooting Olympic target disciplines or competitive benchrest, I'd go for a sporter with a bull barrel. The 1710 or 1761 with the 18" threaded barrel options would be my choice. It'll still be a rifle you'll never see the limits of, but you'll be able to use it for any general field sporter shooting discipline as well as having a reasonably practical field rifle (albeit heavier than your average CZ or 64-actioned counterpart).

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭badaj0z

You should note that there are two very different 54 actions. A target action and a sporter action. They use the same bolt but different triggers and fixing method and are not interchangeable. The target action has the 2 stock mounting bolts forward of the trigger guard. The sporter mounting bolts are one in front of and one behind the trigger guard. Because of this the stocks are also different. You can not use a sporter stock with a Target rifle action or vice versa. Current 54 sporter models are 17XX. Current target models are 18XX and 19XX.

extremetaz wrote: »
    Cass has most of this answered above but to elaborate on a few points...

There are several 54 actioned options in the range yes.
    The current field sporters can be seen here
    and the match rifles are here

Apart from the obvious, the principal differences will be that the match rifles will be built to tighter tolerances, won't accommodate a magazine, will generally be a LOT heavier, and will usually have triggers which can be adjusted to far lighter pull weights.

Single shot rifles are not specifically required for many disciplines but they do generally produce greater accuracy (we're talking less than 1/8" at 50yards though so you need to need it before it's worth looking for). ISSF prone and 3P are single shot specific but most others have no problem with magazine fed rifles AFAIK. There are also single shot adapters available for magazine rifles which can be used where magazines are not permitted. Match stocks will also have all the required rails for slings, props, and diopter sights as well as more fine tuning options.

The current national Anschutz dealer is Outdoorsports.ie

For what it's worth, unless you're absolutely dead set on shooting Olympic target disciplines or competitive benchrest, I'd go for a sporter with a bull barrel. The 1710 or 1761 with the 18" threaded barrel options would be my choice. It'll still be a rifle you'll never see the limits of, but you'll be able to use it for any general field sporter shooting discipline as well as having a reasonably practical field rifle (albeit heavier than your average CZ or 64-actioned counterpart).
    Thank you extremetaz your a gent and your worth your weight in gold fair play to ya I really appreciate that info I will definitely look into the the two you mentioned the sporter type, but I’m also the kind of person that would take out the fancy match rifle after a few bunnies Thanks

badaj0z wrote: »
    You should note that there are two very different 54 actions. A target action and a sporter action. They use the same bolt but different triggers and fixing method and are not interchangeable. The target action has the 2 stock mounting bolts forward of the trigger guard. The sporter mounting bolts are one in front of and one behind the trigger guard. Because of this the stocks are also different. You can not use a sporter stock with a Target rifle action or vice versa. Current 54 sporter models are 17XX. Current target models are 18XX and 19XX.

Great advice and knowledge mate Thanks badaj0z

...but I’m also the kind of person that would take out the fancy match rifle after a few bunnies...

Then those mentioned are definitely the ones you want - with the moderator fitted they're the same length as a 24" barrelled rig, and I could count on one hand the number of people I know who would have any chance at telling the difference for accuracy.

I've the 1417 here which is the 64-actioned, threaded 14" factory bull barrel config (made as a 1416 variant these days). Makes for a 20" rig with the PH1 mod fitted; a pleasure to walk with, and I can't come anywhere close to out-shooting it. The short barrelled 1761 is about the only rifle out there that I'd ever consider replacing it with.

extremetaz wrote: »
    Then those mentioned are definitely the ones you want - with the moderator fitted they're the same length as a 24" barrelled rig, and I could count on one hand the number of people I know who would have any chance at telling the difference for accuracy.

I've the 1417 here which is the 64-actioned, threaded 14" factory bull barrel config (made as a 1416 variant these days). Makes for a 20" rig with the PH1 mod fitted; a pleasure to walk with, and I can't come anywhere close to out-shooting it. The short barrelled 1761 is about the only rifle out there that I'd ever consider replacing it with.
    Just saw the 1761 wow and the thumbhole stock version is beautiful , it’s a single stage trigger what are they like I have only ever shot two stage , I did shoot a single stage air rifle but it was set up heavy and it was horrible, I suppose with the right pull weight there fine , one more question would I outshoot you with a 20 inch barrel against your 14 , accuracy I’m talking about at 100 yards , with two sporter models would that 6 inches of extra barrel get me better score on paper

...thumbhole stock version is beautiful

They look great yes, but they're a marmite thing wrt usefulness. Brilliant for prone, no question about it, but I've never gotten along with them sitting, kneeling or standing. That being said, that's a very personal point.

it’s a single stage trigger what are they like I have only ever shot two stage

Then order it with the two stage trigger - you can put any 54 sporter trigger you like on there.

As to the difference, once you put your meathook in behind the guard any movement in the trigger will let the round away. Don't confuse this with meaning that it's light - you'll be able to tune it any way you want - but there's no takeup. That's all.

I did shoot a single stage air rifle but it was set up heavy and it was horrible

Even like for like, the trigger manufacturer matters - Ruger and Anschutz both make 2-stage triggers, but you won't see Anschutz owners swapping theirs out. ;)
    I suppose with the right pull weight there fine

Nope, a lighter pull weight just makes the other problems with a bad trigger more noticeable.
    Would I outshoot you with a 20 inch barrel against your 14 , accuracy I’m talking about at 100 yards

I think the more appropriate question is would you out-shoot the 64 with 14" barrel. To that, the only answer that I can offer is that I can't out-shoot my one running Eley Edge, and if I was ever in any doubt I'd could shift up two ammo grades from there. That being said, I shoot field positions mostly these days - don't have the time/commitment required to be competitive in the ISSF disciplines.

At 100 yards, from prone, with a front bag, I can keep my outer-edges well under the inch without much difficulty - and I reckon the rifle could do better.

As I said above, and assuming equal condition, I reckon there's less than 10 people in the country who could show up the difference between two Anschutz 54-sporters with 6" difference in the barrel length - even then I don't think any of them would swear to you that the longer barrel would definitely be the victor (That 18" is a heavy bull barrel, the 24" is a tapered sported barrel. That difference in construction can easily count for more than the barrel length) and I doubt that difference would far exceed what you could find between batch numbers of match grade ammunition (assuming standard match rates of fire - if you're firing more rapidly, then the tapered barrel has no chance).

THIS is about the best value you're ever going to see in a 54-actioned sporter (again, condition assumed of course).;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

The rifle that is for sale and referred to by extremetaz is one of the most accurate .22 Anschutz 54’s that I have ever shot !!!’

I have Owned 4 and shot over 20 different models in competition

Thanks extremetaz that answers all my questions, I always assumed that longer barrel was the way to go obviously not when your getting inch groups with 14 inch , 100 yards is a long way off and that’s plenty good for me , that’s made up my mind , does the 54 action come in smaller size barrels , that’s a cracking looking rifle for that price scope included, at the moment I really like the kelby style one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I was shooting my 1963 Model 1409 yesterday and stopped wasting ammunition after the third consecutive five-shot group of a tad over 1/4" @50m.

It has had to have had a gazillion rounds down it in the last fifty-six years.

I found out the hard way that after cleaning the barrel through, rather than just the chamber, it takes about a box of fifty to get it back to shooting the way it was before.

That’s some serious shooting tac foley for a 1963 , and that a beautiful looking rifle very collectible Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thank you, Sir. I can't post images here, but I'd be happy to send you a couple. There is an interesting little story with it, too.

Please do mate I love a good story and to see some photos mate you can send me private message

tac foley wrote: »
    I can't post images here, ...............

Try this or an image hosting site.

I always assumed that longer barrel was the way to go

It's more a law of diminishing returns. 14" is at the contentious end of short, but it's an still an Anschutz barrel at the end of the day. The 18" bull barrel will certainly hold a better group all other things being equal. From 18-24" though, the difference would be very hard earned and a 24" bull barrel does not make for a pleasant rifle to spend a day walking with. The tapered barrel on the other hand will be lighter than the bull, but won't handle heat as well, so stability over a string of consecutive shots will suffer - again, we're not talking much here, but I'd expect the 18" bull barrel to out-shoot the 24" tapered barrel over a 60-shot string.
    does the 54 action come in smaller size barrels

The 18" appears to be the smallest they offer on it - I expect that they deem that the minimum required to get the improvement in performance from the action.

..and I agree, that Kelby is a crackin' looking rifle.

tac foley wrote: »
    I found out the hard way that after cleaning the barrel through, rather than just the chamber, it takes about a box of fifty to get it back to shooting the way it was before.

Yeah some of those older barrels are best left alone - I've had a similar experience with my '67 1423. Imported it from Germany (Sulher claw mounted Diavari 1.5-6 included), had the stock rejuvenated, and shot her with great delight when I got home.

Grouping was about 1/2" at 50yards but I'd expected better. Deep cleaned the barrel and uncovered 4 leaded-in pits - not small ones either. Two pairs, vertically opposite in both cases and about 7" and 5" back from the muzzle end respectively. Could only have been a flaw in the steel from my reckoning - but the point being that she'll hold about 5/8" in general at 50yards now, but with occasional fliers.

Plan at present is to have a custom Llija made to the profile and fitted - but that's going to have to wait for the resources to free up first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭intershoot

• Model usually stamped on top of the barrel
    • You have the Match 54 (old as the hills)
    • then we had the 18 series (round action) 1807 (light barrel) and 1813 (heavy barrel)
    • next was the 19 series, 1907 and 1913
    • Square action, 20-series, 2007 and 2013
    • New 54-30 action.....avoid at all costs!
    Ruag UK.....McCloys are not agents, they just have an account with Ruag as most other dealers do, they also sell Perazzi, RWS, Norma etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement