Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I don't think they're as dumb as they look (well, maybe Danny is, and he's by far the thickest looking), they're just business men.
    Their job is secured by keeping the people around them happy, simple as. A large part of the problem is those people would prefer to see a road outside their farm than schools around the country.
    And if the HRs can get other jobs on the side as a result, with their plant hire etc, they'll milk it for all they can.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's all wrong and that they are redneck scumbags taking the country for a ride, but they're just playing the game. And playing it far better than the likes of Shane Ross who gets nothing done for anybody and gives the impression he's only in it for the photo shoots.

This pair at it again in the Dail today delaying the Road Traffic Bill. Can the minister simpy not guillotine the bill through at this stage? They should be made attend a few funerals of the victims of RTAs to get a sense of perspective.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0706/976720-road-traffic-legislation/

EDIT: bill passed in the Dail this afternoon by 75 votes to 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

This pair at it again in the Dail today delaying the Road Traffic Bill. Can the minister simpy not guillotine the bill through at this stage? They should be made attend a few funerals of the victims of RTAs to get a sense of perspective.

Looks like half the Dáil abstained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

GMSA wrote: »

There's a difference between abstaining and being out sunbathing somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How in the name of jaysus was Michael Healy-Rae allowed to speak on it today for an hour and 15 minutes, seriously what did he talk about, I'd love a link to it to see what he was waffling about, you could probably cut out "de people of Scccchoooooooouttttttttt Keeeeeeerrrrrry" from it and be left with 3 minutes worth...

Mr Healy-Rae, who spoke for an hour and 15 minutes on the bill, also described those who criticised him as "bully boys".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

SeaFields wrote: »
    There's a difference between abstaining and being out sunbathing somewhere.

Ah well you've got to have priorities I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,575 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Michael spoke for 75 minutes but nobody knows what he said. Some type of gibberish I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

GMSA wrote: »

Fair play to the Healy Raes for standing up for what they believe in.

What excuse do the representatives who didn't vote have I wonder?

It's hard to understand how Mike and Danny are the high profile story today for simply doing their job and Ivor Callely and his latest criminal conviction is hardly worth a mention. I wonder why that is?

On a side note, it was interesting watching the reaction of Martin Ferris during the exchanges today.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

What makes their argument so weak is apart from the fact Danny owns a pub. As someone from a rural area myself I have never seen a man enter a pub have one pint and then drive home. The Healy Rae's are still of that extinct way of thinking that it's ok to skull 6 pints and get in the car as "sure I know the way home, haven't I been driving it for years."

How in the name of jaysus was Michael Healy-Rae allowed to speak on it today for an hour and 15 minutes, seriously what did he talk about, I'd love a link to it to see what he was waffling about, you could probably cut out "de people of Scccchoooooooouttttttttt Keeeeeeerrrrrry" from it and be left with 3 minutes worth...

You can rest assured that his entire contribution was well dissected by the media and they will do their upmost to find flaw.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

If you don't have an accent like one of Varadkar/Harris/Murphy or Ross you are assumed to be uneducated and laughed at in certain places nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

hawkwing wrote: »
    If you don't have an accent like one of Varadkar/Harris/Murphy or Ross you are assumed to be uneducated and laughed at in certain places nowadays.

Possibly.

But if you come out with uneducated comments, as is Danny Healy Rae's wont, then it has nothing to do with the accent.

What makes their argument so weak is apart from the fact Danny owns a pub. As someone from a rural area myself I have never seen a man enter a pub have one pint and then drive home. The Healy Rae's are still of that extinct way of thinking that it's ok to skull 6 pints and get in the car as "sure I know the way home, haven't I been driving it for years."

What makes your argument so weak is that you are pedalling untruths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Not for the greater good, they aren't. It is all on a very personal level, their interference , sorry, their help. Often to the disadvantage of some other person, who will have to find his/her place way down the list.

People often tall me that the Healy-Raes do a lot of good for Kerry. When I ask if they can give me specifics, the go "er er, well they've done the road for so and so, or they have been to the funeral of my cousin 5 times removed.

It is corruption to some level as far as I'm concerned. Money might not be exchanged, but a few votes here and there will do the trick.

They might not be great intellectuals, but they are clever and crafty.

An excellent point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The irony of these guys claiming to be pro-life...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

As a proud member of a rural community I was so very annoyed to hear him state that he was speaking for and representing all of rural Ireland. He is in his hole, the lying malignant piece of sh!t cnut can go fcuk himself, he doesn't speak for me or anyone in my community....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I think their a great bunch of lads #healyraeforpresident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The Healey Raes are TD's. representatives of what is going on in rural Ireland in remote locations to this day. Most representatives like to put it out the drink driving does not happen in rural areas and that most people driving around at 2 in the morning are cold stone sober when in fact the truth is that many people in remote rural areas are driving around with at least 2-3 pints in their system with very little chance of being caught.

A lot of virtue signalling is going on with most rural TD's who are too scared of urban opinion to speak up and admit that many of their rural constituents have a few pints and drive home on a regular basis. They now face very stiff penalties and certain disqualification for now doing so. Most remote pubs are gone by now because of the impossibility of doing business in the face of such draconian laws against any form of drink driving.

The safety people won't stop there.

There are already plans afoot to legislate against walking on the public road while drunk, at levels similar to the levels used in DUI laws.

Also laws against the use of bicycles while drunk can mean you can lose your driving licence while using a bicycle under the influence if you are foolish enough to produce your licence as ID, use something else to establish ID.

Once the safety people get started they will not stop until a curfew is practically imposed on all entertainment taking place outside a persons house.
    lacking public transport or taxis many rural areas will become no go zones with people prohibited from walking, cycling or driving home.

For whatever ulterior reason the Healey Raes are at least honestly representing the concerns of at least some of their voting supporters something many TD's from other rural areas of the country are silent about for fear of arising the ire of the safety lobby.

I wonder will the Irish State have to revisit this issue in the future when a flood of licences are taken off people and jobs lost in the very same rural areas from lack of alternative transport to the private car? Opting for immediate disqualification on a first offence is too strict in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

Did Danny Healy Rae have third level education?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

doolox wrote:
    The Healey Raes are TD's. representatives of what is going on in rural Ireland in remote locations to this day. Most representatives like to put it out the drink driving does not happen in rural areas and that most people driving around at 2 in the morning are cold stone sober when in fact the truth is that many people in remote rural areas are driving around with at least 2-3 pints in their system with very little chance of being caught.

So my problem with your well articulated piece is that I personally genuinely don't give a **** about these people....... Those who can't seem to exist on any social setting without having 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 pints....I don't care because I use the same roads at the same time and people I care about may also be using these roads either in cars or as pedestrians...so fcuk them.....don't drink and drive, it's a really simple concept.... Yes it's a pain in the ass, but so are a lot of other things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Gombeens, absolute gobshıts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

doolox wrote: »

A lot of virtue signalling is going on with most rural TD's who are too scared of urban opinion to speak up and admit that many of their rural constituents have a few pints and drive home on a regular basis. They now face very stiff penalties and certain disqualification for now doing so. Most remote pubs are gone by now because of the impossibility of doing business in the face of such draconian laws against any form of drink driving.

There are already plans afoot to legislate against walking on the public road while drunk, at levels similar to the levels used in DUI laws.

Also laws against the use of bicycles while drunk can mean you can lose your driving licence while using a bicycle under the influence if you are foolish enough to produce your licence as ID, use something else to establish ID.

Once the safety people get started they will not stop until a curfew is practically imposed on all entertainment taking place outside a persons house.
    lacking public transport or taxis many rural areas will become no go zones with people prohibited from walking, cycling or driving home.

For whatever ulterior reason the Healey Raes are at least honestly representing the concerns of at least some of their voting supporters something many TD's from other rural areas of the country are silent about for fear of arising the ire of the safety lobby.

I wonder will the Irish State have to revisit this issue in the future when a flood of licences are taken off people and jobs lost in the very same rural areas from lack of alternative transport to the private car? Opting for immediate disqualification on a first offence is too strict in my opinion.

How many times should people be caught drink driving before you take their licence off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

Did Danny Healy Rae have third level education?

Very unlikely. Why do you ask that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Theyre great lads for tapping into, magnifying and capitalising on the chip on the shoulder some country people may have

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

doolox wrote: »

So you are saying that losing /risking lives is acceptable? As long as folk have jobs?

Hyperbole much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Smash Gombeenism!

We have nothing to lose but our sanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I wouldnt get too het up about the Healy Raes. They are just a handful. Its the thousands of Kerry people that keep electing them that are the real villains of this piece. When is wrong with them down there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Why don't the Healy Rae's spend a few bob (and they have plenty of it) and put on a mini bus for people to and from their pub?
    Also, they state that the pub is the central hub for lonely people to get some social interaction and that is good, but if it's about getting together in the evening then the drink driving laws shouldn't be an issue at all. There is nothing stopping these people going to the Healy Rae's pub and having a few minerals if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What's the full story on the TD who was attacked by a cow? Heard he was under the influence. I would also like to know, in detail, the various ways he got to hospital. I heard the guards took him the latter part of the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I left Kerry, I started the long drive at midnight. Hate city driving and Limerick and Galway ahead..

Stopped off the the pub , just after midnight, weekday, to give the keys etc in as they also have the Post office..

The place was packed and so was the car park .. the fumes kind of hit you..

Advertisement