Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Well that was an extreme example of Graces but people vote for politicians based on how they, (they = other politicians same as the Healy Raes) work for the community.

There was or is someone on the Kerry forum who has a similar house-based loyalty to the HRs. it is a reality I have not heard of with other TDs .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Graces7 wrote: »
    I left Kerry a while ago. Was there at that election time and the house gifting antics were very well known. MHR actually offered me a house for my vote. Was well known for it.

Solution to the homeless crisis. Send them all to Kerry and MHR will solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Solution to the homeless crisis. Send them all to Kerry and MHR will solve the problem.

The same man couldn't even swing planning permission for himself to convert a building into apartments yet he's able to give a house per vote to anyone not even on the waiting list.

Sound.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

The same man couldn't even swing planning permission for himself to convert a building into apartments yet he's able to give a house per vote to anyone not even on the waiting list.

Sound.

well he did get planning in kerry co co but in fairness to the residents went to an bord pleanala and got it refused... his plans were to basically introduce a Ghetto on these folks doorsteps

it would be well worth the HR's list who pays the rent in their numerous properties and if there is any anti social behaviour occuring at any of these properties...and have they dealt or ignored this anti social behaviour

https://twitter.com/i/status/1132311369074860032

Young Jackie first elected in Castleisland, he was asked on the canvas last week by a voter "Did I read in the papers about you in court for fighting?"

"You did", said Jackie "and if you give me your number one vote I'll fight for you too!"

Maura is heading the poll in Killarney and Johnnie is a close second in Kenmare.

Some operators in all fairness.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Gobsheens of the highest order

And wasn't Bertie a lovely fellow :rolleyes:

Young Jackie first elected in Castleisland, he was asked on the canvas last week by a voter "Did I read in the papers about you in court for fighting?"

"You did", said Jackie "and if you give me your number one vote I'll fight for you too!
    "

Maura is heading the poll in Killarney and Johnnie is a close second in Kenmare.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

"You did", said Jackie "and if you give me your number one vote I'll fight for you too!"

At least he doesn't wear a feckin' cap! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gombeens vote for gombeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

They are the embarrassment of Kerry(I've live in Tralee all my life btw). Was driving up to Alice In Chains this past Monday, once you left Tralee and into Castleisland(The constituency that Jackie is running in) it was nothing but signs. Arctic trucks pulled over parked with his face plastered all over the trucks. You'd swear he was running for the presidency with the amount of money the family has spent on the advertising. The irony is that he doesn't even live in Castleisland the constituency that he was running in and won!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Thank Christ I got out of the Castleisland area 4 years ago. A friend of mine was asked over in Australia where he was from and he replied Castleisland, your man that asked him the question responded by saying "Jaysus Castleisland must be an awful shíthole, ye are everywhere over here".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

claiming electric cars are dangerous in the wet (due to electrocution)

The Killinaskully theme song just started playing.

They are the embarrassment of Kerry(I've live in Tralee all my life btw). Was driving up to Alice In Chains this past Monday, once you left Tralee and into Castleisland(The constituency that Jackie is running in) it was nothing but signs. Arctic trucks pulled over parked with his face plastered all over the trucks. You'd swear he was running for the presidency with the amount of money the family has spent on the advertising. The irony is that he doesn't even live in Castleisland the constituency that he was running in and won!

You must be sick.

The thing is he wasn't just elected in his first ever election, he was elected on the first count with 784 votes to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    And wasn't Bertie a lovely fellow :rolleyes:

No he is a knob but that irrelevant, are you suggesting that because one politician is a sleeveen that the rest have to be too?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

You must be sick.

The thing is he wasn't just elected in his first ever election, he was elected on the first count with 784 votes to spare.

I can only assume they are only voting him as a direct line to his father to fix the roads or other parish pump problems.

He was running against probably the most unlikable politician in Kerry so that helped. Said politician was ran out of Tralee and had to contest in Castleisland to stand any chance of getting elected

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

To be fair the county council is the best place for them. Local issues at local level. Just keep it out of the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Collie D wrote: »
    To be fair the county council is the best place for them. Local issues at local level. Just keep it out of the Dail.

A bit like the family drunk at a wedding.

I can only assume they are only voting him as a direct line to his father to fix the roads or other parish pump problems.

He was running against probably the most unlikable politician in Kerry so that helped. Said politician was ran out of Tralee and had to contest in Castleisland to stand any chance of getting elected

Let's call a spade a spade here now, you reckon young Jackie was elected as a direct line to his father and it helped that he was running against the most unlikable politician in Kerry.

The same most unlikable politician you refer to is a former TD, his father (of the same name) was a TD and his grandfather (of the same name) was a TD.

His family's links to Kerry County Council go back to 1923!

Yeah, it sure was easy pickings to run against someone of that caliber.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

I know people give out about the healys being on TV alot (esp. Michael) but it's the standard of show we have here. Not a week goes by hardly but Verona Murphy is on The Tonight Show it and only the other night I saw she was introduced as Fine Gael canidate Verona not President of the Road Haulage Verona yet she wore that cap during the week on radio while against Barry Kenny.

The late late is always ripped for pulling people out of the canteen, well Virgin Media do the exact same and pull the same people over and over. Speaking of the Tonight Show that whole made for TV spat that Ivan and Michael Healy had fizzled quickly as he was back on the show within a few nights.

I will say I'd rather have the Healy-Raes over these 3

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/2019/0525/1051677-prime-time-councillors/

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

What happens when /if he gets convicted of the assault will he have to step down or does that only happen in countries that hold politicians to account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is this thread like the gang land one where we can’t name names? Who’s the unpopular Kerry politician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I would shy away from banning people from standing for election, but one solution could be remedial classes made compulsory for the people of Kerry. I know there are probably people there who know what a joke the Healy Raes are, and are embarrassed to live in a county that elects that type of representative. But they would surely see it as necessary and go along with it, if it solved the problem of Kerry people who cannot vote responsibly.

I would shy away from banning people from standing for election, but one solution could be remedial classes made compulsory for the people of Kerry. I know there are probably people there who know what a joke the Healy Raes are, and are embarrassed to live in a county that elects that type of representative. But they would surely see it as necessary and go along with it, if it solved the problem of Kerry people who cannot vote responsibly.

That's handy seeing as you have no say whatsoever in the matter and the Attorney General quite recently advised the government it could not implement banning even for former TD's who had been convicted of corruption.

What happens when /if he gets convicted of the assault will he have to step down or does that only happen in countries that hold politicians to account?

What happened Jim McDaid when he was a sitting TD and got convicted for driving up the wrong side of a dual carriageway locked out of his mind after drinking wine for 7 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Have the Healy-Reas taken a leaf out of Sinn Féin’s book and employed online supporters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I thought they actually did quite well by their constituency from the sounds of it (building Kilgarvan road, providing for area etc). Irrespective of if you like them or not, surely that's showing democracy working?

Shane Ross on the other hand....

Ever drive through kilgarvan on that road? Its like an Irish Pripyat that's been abandoned since the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I had some sympathy for Jackie Healy Rae Senior - an old man set in this ways, some mental impairment no doubt setting in, global warming wasn't confirmed during the majority of his life, probably didn't finish second level education, against establishment D4 types who didn't understand Kerry, you know I get it, I'm from a farming background myself.

But Michael Healy Rae has no excuses. I feel like he's selling a con, particularly to supporters of Jackie Healy Rae who see him as a continuation. There's no way Michael Healy Rae could be that irrational about climate change, drink driving, etc.

Jaysus lads, Johnny is after topping the first count in Kenmare region with over 3,000 votes.

salmocab wrote: »
    No he is a knob but that irrelevant, are you suggesting that because one politician is a sleeveen that the rest have to be too?
    I'll explain it better for you to grasp, Bertie was a gombeen as well and the Dubs voted for him in their droves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I moved to Kerry not so long ago and I don't think the Healy Rae's are that bad after all. Better than those serious auld dhrips in FF / FG

Advertisement