Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drink driving, would you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Can't believe it took 36 posts. Usually this moronic sentiment rears its head much sooner. And boy do people love to latch onto new buzz-phrases.

I was kidding. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Yeah, all the time. The trick is not to do it really drunk.

You are a scumbag. A guy I know got hit by a drunk driver last Xmas and was left for dead. Wasn’t found until the next morning, was in a coma for months then passed away. I pray you, and anyone else that drink drives, hit a wall and suffer for the rest of your days. See how worth it drunk driving is.

He wasn't scumbag for drink driving but for driving drunk, hitting a person and driving off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He wasn't scumbag for drink driving but for driving drunk, hitting a person and driving off.

If he wasn’t drunk he wouldn’t have hit him. There is a reason why there are laws against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have done it in the past, less than 5/6 times and all a long time ago. Only once did I drive when visibly drunk and not in a fit state to drive. I still think of that instance and shudder to think of how much of a complete idiot I was, and how lucky I was not to cause harm or get caught. I will never drive again with so much as a sip of drink in my system.

Which is actually why I fell out with my brother in law at christmas when he kept offering drinks to visitors who had already said they were driving. Like, **** your stupid ideals of hospitality, they said they didn't want a drink so shut the **** up. :mad:

In other opinions, I do think its a little harsh to be targeting so many people the morning after, drunk and tired are not necessarily the same thing when it comes to impairment.

And I also would like to see summary driving bans for people who use their phone when in control of a motor vehicle. Its a ****ing epidemic and it needs to be properly addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I was kidding. :)

Ah. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Used to do it 20 years ago when I didn't know any better. When I think of it now it's makes me cringe, I know what state I was in some nights and how I didn't kill myself or anybody else is a minor miracle.
    I wouldn't judge anyone for drink driving once they were under control, some cant handle a pint others you wouldn't know they were after 5 or 6.
    Drivers need to be aware and take personal responsibility for their own driving habits rather than have an across the board one pint limit imposed on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Back in the 70's, 80's I regularly got hammered and drove. So did everyone. Even the ad on the TV used to say 'just two will do'. These days you're playing Russian roulette with your license with just one pint on board so I always walk the mile and back to the pub. I couldn't honestly say that I would never drink with a pint in me and drive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

No I never have and I don't drink at all if I am driving even though I know I'll be under the limit if I only have one (rarely would only have one drink).

I won't get in a car with anyone who has either & have lost one friendship over their drunk driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Driving under the Influence of anything is categorically wrong, but in Ireland it's more complicated than that.

The recent campaigns (last 20 years) against drink driving have made it Taboo, which is great and 90% of people either say they'd never do it or stay quiet, the other 10% are people that don't really care that much, pretty much the same people that are fine with burning tyres in their back yard and dumping all their rubbish at the side of the road for the council to clean up.

IMO a lot of the people that say they would never do it, have done it or did do it and it didn't even register that they had driven under the influence (morning after)

In Ireland we confuse morality with laws a bit too much.

E.G.
    1. Driving home after alcohol is completely wrong and is punishable by law.
    2. Driving home after donating blood when you are not fit to drive is completely fine by law (as long as you don't commit a driving offence)

Both options are wrong in my opinion but from the General Consensus in Ireland would be that only Option 1 is wrong because it involves Drink Driving which is illegal and option 2 involved donating blood which is a good deed.

Would be better to somehow convey to a person how to ascertain if they are fit to drive :) rather than them thinking "will I get a fine or banned for doing this"

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Wouldnt do it ever. Nothing to with fines or getting caught . If i caused an accident and died or killed someone my kids would be left without a mother or some other families life completely ruined because of something avoidable .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

You are a scumbag. A guy I know got hit by a drunk driver last Xmas and was left for dead. Wasn’t found until the next morning, was in a coma for months then passed away. I pray you, and anyone else that drink drives, hit a wall and suffer for the rest of your days. See how worth it drunk driving is.

Tnks for that very pleasant person you are. So is everybody that drinks and drives a scumbag. If they drink 1 is it ok. Or 2 or 3 where is your cut off point. If it's at 0 then there are alot of scumbags. Think you might have a few problems praying things like that. Kinda feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I don't drink but never would driving drunk come into my mind.
    My father was almost killed by a drunk driver, his best friend died in the very same accident.

I also got into an argument with my partner a while ago because he went to the pub with his dad and the dad was driving home with him after 3 pints, it was basically just down the road but I have no tolerance for that, you're not fit do drive after 3 pints.

you're not fit do drive after 3 pints.

Almost certainly under the limit so, yeah you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

That's pretty much it. You did a cost benefit analysis and decided it was risk worth taking, as I and so many did back in the day.

The problem with that is the people who overestimate their fitness to drive. It's too nebulous to have as any kind of official policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Almost certainly under the limit so, yeah you are.
    You would be lucky to pass a breath test after 3 pints , of course other factors would come into play like build and length of time the pints were drank in ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The drink drive limit is so low now that many people don't realize that could be over the limit the next day after drinking only 3 or 4 pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Absolutely not.

Anyone who would is an idiot. It’s simply not worth the risk.

Or real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

You are a scumbag.

Would you also class a driver texting as a scumbag.?
    Its now reckoned to be 20 times more dangerous than drink-driving.

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    You would be lucky to pass a breath test after 3 pints , of course other factors would come into play like build and length of time the pints were drank in ..

A pint as processed in an hour. So unless you hammered 3 in an hour and get tested at the very worst time then you'll be under. I've done a lot of tests and know how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

No way, although a colleague awkwardly told me how they're driving to go for a meal and they always have a "glass of wine" with their meal and they're "not sacrificing that because they're driving".

It would annoy me to have just one glass with a meal. I would much prefer to drink water with the meal, and have a bottle of red when I get home, rather to be hung for a lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

2 pints on a moped in 2004, only time I done it. Haven’t drank in 13 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

A pint as processed in an hour. So unless you hammered 3 in an hour and get tested at the very worst time then you'll be under. I've done a lot of tests and know how it is.

Ehhhh, I think you’ll find that’s 1 unit per hour, not 1 pint. A pint of lager is 2+ units. You might want to rethink your user name :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

No. Absolutely not and never would. I worked too long and hard and spent too much money to give up my licence over foolishness. If I've had a lot to drink the night before, I don't even drive the next day. Chances are, I would still be over the limit, and it's just not worth it. My husband doesn't drink anyway, so he would do the driving the next day.

Where I come from, if people saw you even try to leave in your car after drinking, the police would be called before you left. That is - if you weren't rugby-tackled to the ground and the keys taken from you first! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well - Like I said. I don't drink and drive, so the possibility of killing someone whilst on the sauce would be pretty close to zero. Therefore the licence would be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Where I come from, if people saw you even try to leave in your car after drinking, the police would be called before you left. That is - if you weren't rugby-tackled to the ground and the keys taken from you first! :D

Curious to know, where are you from? As I can't imagine any country where there this would be a common or frequent response to a person leaving a restaurant after a meal with a glass of wine.

Bit too much hyperbole methinks...

jbt123 wrote: »
    Curious to know, where are you from? As I can't imagine any country where there this would be a common or frequent response to a person leaving a restaurant after a meal with a glass of wine.

Bit too much hyperbole methinks...

Methinks you're being deliberately obtuse. The last part of my comment was a joke in case you didn't realise. And yes - there are plenty of people where I am from who would call the police as soon as you left. Including me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Methinks you're being deliberately obtuse. The last part of my comment was a joke in case you didn't realise. And yes - there are plenty of people where I am from who would call the police as soon as you left. Including me.

So do you call the Garda when you see it happening here in Ireland and if not, why so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

No.
    I know someone who killed a child when they were drink driving.

jbt123 wrote: »
    So do you call the Garda when you see it happening here in Ireland and if not, why so?

Started to answer the question, then got bored...I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

No way, I have a rule that I don't have ANY alcohol when driving - even if I am under the limit ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Have done before, as have most of the people that I know, but not for quite a long while. I'm mid-50s' so at one time it wasn't as anti-social despite the fact that the consequences were the same !!

Worst ever was on the piss all day in Dublin (straight after nights) - left Temple Bar around 8.30 pm and woke up in Ashbourne the next morning wondering how I got home only to see my motorbike helmet on the floor next to the bed. Zero recollection and I haven't done it since. Won't even have 'just the one' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Absolutely not.

Anyone who would is an idiot. It’s simply not worth the risk.

You do realize they are drunk. Ie not thinking rationally. Don't decide to do it sober like. Knew a guard who lived in the sticks.He Drove drunk numerous times. Soundest lad you would meet sober. Drunk? An illogical madman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I haven’t done it in a long time. But to be honest I feel a lot more incompetent on the road when I get ‘that call’ in the small hours from someone asking for a lift home than I ever did driving after a few pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yeah, most fridays have a bottle or two after work and drive or cycle home.
    A bottle an hour is fine to stay under the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Yeah, most fridays have a bottle or two after work and drive or cycle home.
    A bottle an hour is fine to stay under the limit.

Bottle or two of what? Whiskey/vodka?. Bottle is ambiguous!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Never have.

Have driven hungover a few times and am not proud of it.

emeldc wrote: »
    Ehhhh, I think you’ll find that’s 1 unit per hour, not 1 pint. A pint of lager is 2+ units. You might want to rethink your user name :)

Nah, its about 3 units per hour for me. The 1 unit is for a 50Kg girl with a knackered liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

How many people have driven home for work on a long commute wreck tired. Half the journey zoned out and driving on instinct
    This is a common occurence yet it has little real affect on motor crash stats
    Same is true of driving with few drinks on board
    Same is true of drug driving

The real reason road deaths have dropped is better roads and better cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

That radio show is on at my place of work every morning. That woman is most definitely a plant. It’s easy enough to tell the genuine callers from the stooges after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

How many people have driven home for work on a long commute wreck tired. Half the journey zoned out and driving on instinct
    This is a common occurence yet it has little real affect on motor crash stats
    Same is true of driving with few drinks on board
    Same is true of drug driving

The real reason road deaths have dropped is better roads and better cars

On the rare occasions that people do have to work past midnight at my workplace (which would mean a 12+ hour working day for them), the company offers to put them up in a nearby hotel. We would know in advance, and I usually arrange for may husband to come pick me up or stay at the hotel.
    I have driven once when very tired, and would never ever do it again.

There are laws around how long truck drivers can drive before they have to take a rest, but I can't see a way of getting something sensible in place to identify private individuals doing it. So other than awareness-campaigns, there may be little can be done about that.

I realise I'm going sound very obnoxious and judgemental now, but I really don't get why people are so determined to drink even if they now they will have to drive? Why does it seem such an imposition to just switch to something without alcohol when you've the car parked outside?
    You may not always be able to avoid driving when tired, or feeling ill, but you can always avoid drinking when you know you have to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I often drove after drink back in the 80's early 90's but wouldn't nowadays. I suppose being young and foolish and it was the norm back then as there wasn't many taxis around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

"Callers" to those shows are all plants told to be as controversial as possible.

Niall Boylan at night is the worst offender
    Same callers different names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

That radio show is on at my place of work every morning. That woman is most definitely a plant. It’s easy enough to tell the genuine callers from the stooges after a while.

If you ask me the stooges are the ones that don't cop the plant and ring in in a fit of rage. It happens on slow news days to get the phones hopping to kill air time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Twice, back in the mid 90's. Had a liquid lunch, two pints of Guinness in pretty rapid succession. Then drove about eight miles on a country road. The two pints hit me about a mile in. Took a stupid overtaking manoeuvre that I wouldn't have if stoney sober. Near pooed my pants. Second time I had a feed of beer at a party. Went to bed early the next morning. Got about four hours sleep if that. Then drove about twenty miles mostly on country roads at around noon the following morning. I was in a much worse state that time. Though didn't feel "drunk", just exhausted. Stupid. Never again.

I've driven a couple of times on the wacky baccy. Again years ago. Stupid, but in my humble far less dangerous than with drink on board. For me anyway. I got The Fear™ - the only time I ever have - and drove so slowly glaciers were overtaking me. I don't think I got the car out of second gear. Not a drug fuelled illusion either. The distance involved driving at normal under the speed limit speeds(40-50kph) would have taken less than ten minutes at that time of night, but stoned it took me over twenty. Yep. I reckon I topped out at 20 odd Kph. Still stupid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Shenshen wrote: »
    On the rare occasions that people do have to work past midnight at my workplace (which would mean a 12+ hour working day for them), the company offers to put them up in a nearby hotel. We would know in advance, and I usually arrange for may husband to come pick me up or stay at the hotel.
    I have driven once when very tired, and would never ever do it again.

There are laws around how long truck drivers can drive before they have to take a rest, but I can't see a way of getting something sensible in place to identify private individuals doing it. So other than awareness-campaigns, there may be little can be done about that.

I realise I'm going sound very obnoxious and judgemental now, but I really don't get why people are so determined to drink even if they now they will have to drive? Why does it seem such an imposition to just switch to something without alcohol when you've the car parked outside?
    You may not always be able to avoid driving when tired, or feeling ill, but you can always avoid drinking when you know you have to drive.

Firstly the rules on truck driving are regularly broken by switching of cards this is not done out of badness but because the truck business has very tight margins
    Secondly I used to commute like many others a long distance and I had young children and I sometimes reached destination and wondered how I got there, I am not saying it is right but it had to be done
    Thirdly that is at least as dangerous as drink driving but the last part of your post states you understand tired driving as it might be necessary, I hope we can all agree that is hyprocricy
    Fourthly drink driving has been going on again for at least 10 years in rural Ireland and yet no significant effect. , I know family neighbors and friends who do it , they just don’t do it at bank holidays and Christmas time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

The year was 2005.

I was leaving Roscommon Golf Club after having 2 full rounds of Guiness.
    That's 8 pints as we were playing in a football.
    Rounded the bend, bugger, checkpoint.
    As we crept forward I felt like making a run for it, just abandoning the car.
    Anyway, we were one back from the front when the guards started rapping on the window of the car in front.
    No response so they opened his door, out he fell of his own drivers seat only caught by one of the guards.
    We got waved on in the commotion.

It was different times

• Advertisement
Advertisement