Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i laughed reading that comment on facebook, thanks for posting it.

i thought at the time they were collecting funding to open that it sounded odd. To me it reeked of either not having the original capital, risk avoidance, or significant doubt over success.any entrepreneur/ small business owner can't afford to suffer either.

the crowd sourcing aspect, and the comment, give the impression of a sense of entitlement. rather than ask where everyone is (blaming the public for not being there), the owners would be far better off reviewing their obviously flawed business plan and asking why they couldn't attract the people in. It's not the responsibility of the public to support every business that opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

mossym wrote: »

i thought at the time they were collecting funding to open that it sounded odd. To me it reeked of either not having the original capital, risk avoidance, or significant doubt over success.any entrepreneur small business over can't afford to suffer either.

the crowd sourcing aspect, and the comment, give the impression of a sense of entitlement. rather than ask where everyone is (blaming the public for not being there), the owners would be far better off reviewing their obviously flawed business plan and asking why they couldn't attract the people in. It's not the responsibility of the public to support every business that opens.

Even though we only went in once, I got the distinct impression that the place was being run more as a hobby than a business. For me it was as if they were trying to emulate a Central Perk kind of atmosphere and failing miserably. As others have said it was a combination of things that led to their closure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Even though we only went in once, I got the distinct impression that the place was being run more as a hobby than a business. For me it was as if they were trying to emulate a Central Perk kind of atmosphere and failing miserably. As others have said it was a combination of things that led to their closure.

Maybe it was too ambitious to start with late opening hours. It could have grown more organically if it had picked up a regular clientèle in regular business hours. I think they were trying to re-capture what was lost when Javas closed.

(How many years ago was that anyway?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

An File wrote: »
    Maybe it was too ambitious to start with late opening hours. It could have grown more organically if it had picked up a regular clientèle in regular business hours. I think they were trying to re-capture what was lost when Javas closed.

(How many years ago was that anyway?!)

We had gone in on a Friday afternoon about a year or so ago, well after the place had opened. I can't comment on Javas as I was never in there. In theory having somewhere a bit different was a really good idea, it's just that putting really tatty second hand sofas that just look grubby in in an effort to look kitsch doesn't work. My husband is very fussy about tea and the look of what dafuq:eek: on his face when he was handed a pint mug of tea was actually hillarious. I honestly can't even imagine how anyone thought that serving a lukewarm pint of tea would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Maze Eatery (formerly Cafe Cupcake) appears to be closed? Not open at lunchtime today and looks like the dessert fridge at the main counter and bits of the kitchen taken out.

That place only opened a few months so I thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

mossym wrote: »

i thought at the time they were collecting funding to open that it sounded odd. To me it reeked of either not having the original capital, risk avoidance, or significant doubt over success.any entrepreneur/ small business owner can't afford to suffer either.

Absolutely agree. Just thought the whole crowd funding thing was gas. I can understand crowd funding computer games as you are essentially paying up front to get the game and allows the developers to gauge demand.

Crowd funding someone to set up a business is gas. A business acting like a charity case. When you don't invest your own cold, hard cash it's easier to walk away and not be too broke up about the business failing. But then again it worked (getting the funding that is) so fair play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

As i said in another thread i was in Costa Coffee at 7.30pm last Thursday and it was very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I thought The Stormy Teacup was a nice idea, they had a large selection of books and lots of choice in the tea department, however I had a bad experience in there myself.

First time I went there I ordered a tea and toasted sandwich, the latter was taking forever (and they weren't busy, only me and one other customer in there), until I smelled one toasting, so I thought it was finally on it's way.

No, the staff member proceeded to sit at a table and eat a toasted sandwich herself, while the other staff member sat opposite, working on some art project! They totally forgot about me, had to remind them. By the time I finally got it, my tea was gone cold! :mad:

They were very apologetic in fairness, but like I said, I'd understand if they were run off their feet but it was feckin' dead in there!

I only went there once more afterwards, dunno why really, just said I'd give it another go.

I much preferred Cellar Door for a similar vibe, but also the staff were really friendly and much more attentive, I was devastated when they closed down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    As i said in another thread i was in Costa Coffee at 7.30pm last Thursday and it was very busy

Starbucks in the train station is doing very well too. I know plenty venturing up there specifically to go there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Starbucks in the train station is doing very well too. I know plenty venturing up there specifically to go there.

what you make of starbucks coffee. not too impressed with it myself

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    what you make of starbucks coffee. not too impressed with it myself

I go to Carlton. Good coffee, really quick and the staff are lovely. They also know my order when I walk in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

leakyboots wrote: »
    Maze Eatery (formerly Cafe Cupcake) appears to be closed? Not open at lunchtime today and looks like the dessert fridge at the main counter and bits of the kitchen taken out.

That place only opened a few months so I thought

Ya they only opened about a month ago.

Why anyone would want to open a cafe there is beyond me. Its the third cafe to be opened there in about 5 years and all have closed down. Maybe the same owners have opened all 3 just under different names?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I go to Carlton. Good coffee, really quick and the staff are lovely. They also know my order when I walk in! :D

Where are they located?

An File wrote: »
    Where are they located?

On the corner of Thomas Street and Little Catherine Street.

On the corner of Thomas Street and Little Catherine Street.

loads of coffee shops in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Roquentin wrote: »
    loads of coffee shops in that area

True, but I agree with Poxyshamrock that there's something very likeable about Carlton, it's not every establishment that you get a friendly welcome in these days but you'll always get it from the girls in Carlton, it seems that they know most of the customers orders which would imply that they get lots of repeat business. I don't get in that often these days but I'll always choose it for my coffee when in town. The coffee itself is nothing special but it's perfectly decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Coffee can be way too hot in Carlton sometimes. All you taste is heat heat heat.

the nicest coffee i ever tried is java republic. ivans in caherdavin do it

True, but I agree with Poxyshamrock that there's something very likeable about Carlton, it's not every establishment that you get a friendly welcome in these days but you'll always get it from the girls in Carlton, it seems that they know most of the customers orders which would imply that they get lots of repeat business. I don't get in that often these days but I'll always choose it for my coffee when in town. The coffee itself is nothing special but it's perfectly decent.

will call in the next time im in the city. i think a star bucks is opening on the opposite corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya they only opened about a month ago.

Why anyone would want to open a cafe there is beyond me. Its the third cafe to be opened there in about 5 years and all have closed down. Maybe the same owners have opened all 3 just under different names?

That place is cursed. I can't help but think the lighting in there has something to do with it. It is so dull if you were outside you'd think the place was closed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

HF Counter (Gluten free/fresh juice) kiosk in Arthur's Quay is closing down today. Pity :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ankhyu wrote: »
    HF Counter (Gluten free/fresh juice) kiosk in Arthur's Quay is closing down today. Pity :(

Isn't this run by the same man who owns the 'gluten-free' health food shop near The Strand? I can't say I'm sad to see any 'gluten-free' fad shop close. It's such a marketing gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

panda100 wrote: »
    I can't say I'm sad to see any 'gluten-free' fad shop close. It's such a marketing gimmick.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Give a celiac something with gluten in it and you will see how bad it can be very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

davo2001 wrote: »
    You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Give a celiac something with gluten in it and you will see how bad it can be very quickly.

The majority of people jumping on the gluten free bandwagon are not coeliac.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The gluten free place across from the strand is now opening on Mallow Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

panda100 wrote: »
    The majority of people jumping on the gluten free bandwagon are not coeliac.

The majority of places claiming they serve Coeliac, have cross contaminated surfaces, at least these places cater for the actual intolerant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: How is an arugement on coelic and glueten free adding anything to the "Business Closed" thread? Take it offline lads if you want to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Mothercare just announced they will be closing their Cruises st shop early next year, one of three they are closing, part of their re-structuring to get out of examinership..

blamed high rents

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant believe Desmonds Next Door has closed if true according to the other thread. Sure their wines were outrageously priced but their beer selection was one of the best in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Mc Love wrote: »
    Cant believe Desmonds Next Door has closed if true according to the other thread. Sure their wines were outrageously priced but their beer selection was one of the best in Limerick

Yeah, used to be like a little adventure going in there for beer. Thought they would have done a decent trade, seemingly a decent location and they cater to a wide variety of tastes and budgets.

I'll miss them.

Advertisement