Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Grads 10k-Half marathon plan - Week 8

Monday 8th April - Off

Tuesday 9th April - Off

Wednesday 10th April - 8 x 3 mins @ CV (7:01-6:52) w/ 400m rec jog
    At first glance, this run on paper left me thinking "only 8 reps of 3 minutes?" but I knew from the last few weeks that running it would be a very different story to how I imagined it and this was certainly no different.
    The difference with this compared to the other sessions was the 400m recovery jog in between each of the reps. Am used to brisk walking or some light drills between reps but after the first one or two of these, I knew this would be more of a test. As usual, I stuck to the faster end of the pacing

Thursday 11th April - 69 mins easy. 6.12m @ 9:51
    Crazy week and a crazy day so it was 10pm by the time I left the house for this one.

Friday 12th April - Off

Saturday 13th April - 30mins Temp run (7:44 - 7:30). 4.03m @7.28
    Enjoyed every minute of this. Pacing was good too. Wished it could have been an hour but knew 30 minutes was more than enough.

Sunday 14th April - 75 mins easy. 8.18m @9.14
    Very windy outside this morning, cap nearly blew off but a nice relaxing run over in Griffeen. Not a sinner in sight.

So, a bit of a rollercoaster of a week. Received news last Sunday of a friend who was taken to Beaumont hospital after a bleed to the brain. Shocking news for all of us. At the time of writing this, he is still in ICU and not yet out of the woods. His wife (who I have known since we were both four) is reeling, naturally and most of the week has been spent trying to find out as much information as possible on his condition which is touch and go.
    The non-running days this week did not even register as this news has put so much into perspective, as it always does.

Big thanks to all who gave their two cents worth on my 'do I run or do I rest?' conundrum on last weeks log. You're all deadly! ;)

Miles for the week - 30

Miles for the year - 486

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Tough time for you Ken, stay strong. Beaumont is definitely the right place for your friend to be.
    coogy wrote: »

Sunday 7th April - 75 mins easy. 8.18m @9.14
    Very windy outside this morning, cap nearly blew off but a nice relaxing run over in Griffeen. Not a sinner in sight.

No....sinners were in bed. Between you and Applegirl, this early morning running is extreme :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I hope your friend recovers K. That’s very scary and tough going on you all.

I’m now a week behind you on the plan so will be able to read about the sessions just before I do them. Have the 8x3 mins next myself. Interested to read you generally walk or do drills during recoveries in other sessions. What kind of drills? I always jog and just never entered my head to do anything else.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I hope your friend recovers K. That’s very scary and tough going on you all.

I’m now a week behind you on the plan so will be able to read about the sessions just before I do them. Have the 8x3 mins next myself. Interested to read you generally walk or do drills during recoveries in other sessions. What kind of drills? I always jog and just never entered my head to do anything else.

Thanks K.

Rarely walk between reps anymore. Mostly do stuff like the carioca manoeuvre, butt kicks, knee lifts etc. I would usually do these before some runs anyway and I find they help a lot.

juke wrote: »
    Tough time for you Ken, stay strong. Beaumont is definitely the right place for your friend to be.

No....sinners were in bed. Between you and Applegirl, this early morning running is extreme :eek:

Thanks J, just have to keep thinking positive vibes!

And yes, those early starts are most certainly extreme but also extremely enjoyable!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Awful news about your friend, K, puts any disappointments about missing PB's and the like into perspective. Hope they make a full recovery.

aloooof wrote: »
    Awful news about your friend, K, puts any disappointments about missing PB's and the like into perspective. Hope they make a full recovery.

Thanks D!

Grads 10k-Half marathon plan - Week 9

Monday 15th April - Off

Tuesday 16th April - 60 mins easy. 6.50m @ 9:40
    For some reason, for the entire hour, my legs felt really great during this run. It was almost as if they were working completely independently of everything else. Not sure why I noticed this as I've not done anything differently in the last few days.

Wednesday 17th April - 12 x 75s @ CV w/1 min rec jog
    Started with a warm up down the length of the quays as far as Croppy Acre Park. Absolutely perfect location for this short session. The presence of a host of "colourful characters" - not sure how this motley crew can be otherwise described - was a little off-putting but I just focused on the running and tried my best to ignore them.
    I loved this session. The reps, although short, were just long enough to make me feel like I was putting the right amount of effort in and the pacing was good too. Cool down run back down the quays towards O'Connell Bridge.

Thursday 18th April - 60 mins easy run. 6.32m @ 9:42
    Out the door early again for this run. Can't get enough of these early starts but as much as I enjoy them, I am still consumed with envy when I see other runners out later in the day doing their thing.

Friday 19th April - 60 mins easy run. 6.45m @ 9:28
    "Are you going running again?" was the question thrown at me as I attempted (unsuccessfully) to creep silently out of the bedroom at 5:45am. Although the question couldn't have been easier to answer - it was true that I was in fact going running, again - I was left with a blank expression on my face and was a hair's breadth away from answering with a "I think so"' before giving something a bit more definitive ("eh...yes?") :o
    Later in the day, it was pointed out to me that I was once again beginning to shed the pounds, just as I was this time last year. Concerned that I am beginning to waste away to nothing, my wife has made me promise her that I'll not waste away to nothing. So I promised her that I most definitely would not waste away to nothing.
    Would normally use the Friday as a rest day but as my weekly mileage for the last couple of weeks has fallen a little short, I felt the need to take advantage of the chance to make up some lost ground. I do get that you shouldn't chase lost miles but I didn't feel so bad as the run was there for the taking anyway.

Saturday 20th April - 4 x 10 mins HM w/2 mins rec jog. 6.1m @ 7:32
    A 1.5 mile warm preceded this session on what I could already tell was going to be a glorious day if the flame red sun was anything to go by. The pacing for the session was around 7:20 and although I was no stranger to this pace, I felt that I had to put in more effort than I figured, especially for the first two reps. Didn't exactly struggle but the fact that I felt I had to push a little harder made me wonder how I managed 13.1 miles at this pace back in early March at Bohermeen. I guess there a big difference in your mindset between a training session and a half marathon race.
    That said, this has been my most enjoyable session of the training plan so far.

Sunday 21st April - Planned a hour easy run but ended up cutting it short by 30 mins. 10.19m @ 9:08
    The Easter Bunny - who, although clearly does NOT exist in the minds of our two kids - had still left a supply of chocolate big enough to feed an army and knowing that they would be waiting patiently for me to come back from my run, I felt under pressure to get back home to share the moment and I duly (if not a little reluctantly) obliged by finishing up 30 mins early. Still enjoyed it nonetheless.
    As I expected, they were both awake and waiting patiently for my return before assessing the array of chocolate eggs.
    Junior Parkrun followed later in the morning. 32nd out of 88 runners. Not that it's important to me, it's just something he likes to improve on week on week. His sprints towards the finish line are a pretty impressive too. Definitely has his dad's competitive streak!

Miles for the week - 44.33

Miles for the year - 531

So, I've been doing some thinking about what races to enter between now and DCM. Here's what I have my eye on so far:

Irish Runner 5 mile - 15th June
    Frank Duffy 10 mile- 24th August

Won't be here for the Race Series 10k in July but will see if there are any others that I like the look of. I think I missed out on some vital race experience last year so I am just trying to get the balance right this time around.

Thanks for reading!!

Grads 10k-Half marathon plan - Week 10

Monday 22nd April - Off

Tuesday 23rd April - 60 mins easy. 6.45m @ 9:32
    What a difference a week makes. This time last week I was marvelling at how fresh my legs felt. No so for this run. Just a general feeling of tiredness.

Wednesday 24th April - 10, 7, 3 mins threshold-CV pace (6:52-7:20) w/2 mins rec jog. 3.27m @ 7:20
    Was determined to get my first sniff of running in the Phoenix Park for the first time in what seemed like an eternity. Ran from O'Connell Bridge to the Park entrance as a warm up and as soon as I hit Chesterfield Ave I was off. To be honest, I was a little unsure about how this particular run should be executed. I just assumed that it was 10 min, then 7 mins, then 3 mins at a pace that was somewhere in between threshold-CV. I questioned if it should have been a progression run but that wasn't making much sense to me so I stuck with my original approach.
    It was quite humid outside but still looked like the heavens could open at any stage. Ran up as far as the Aras and hung a right onto North Road and back down towards the Zoo. Kept the pace at around 7:05/7:10 for each of the splits. Enjoyed this a lot.
    Watch battery died just after I set off back up the quays for a cool down run.
    An hour later, the heavens opened.

Thursday 25th April - Off

Friday 26th April - 70 mins easy run. 7.44m @ 9:25
    Early start and with the kids still off school, gave myself an extra 10 minutes, because I'm worth it.

Saturday 27th April - 30 minute Tempo run. 4.07m @ 7:23
    15 minutes warm up preceded this run. Might have over-cooked the splits just a tad. Was nice to be running with the sun setting for a change as opposed to watching it rise.
    The tempo pace was between 7:44 - 7:32 but I ended up doing splits of 7:24, 7:19, 7:21, 7:24.

Sunday 28th April - 1hr 45 mins easy (actually ran 1hr 54 mins). 12.34m @ 9:14
    Am so used to my pre-6am wake-up calls, that when I woke up at 6:10am, my first thought was "ARGH! It's too late" and was *this* close to staying in bed but had everything prepared from the night before so quickly got ready and was out the door before long. Would have been kicking myself otherwise.
    As for the run itself, legs felt a little tired after the previous evening's run but no real discomfort. I was down to do a 1hr45mins lsr but really wanted to do the 2 hours. In the end I settled for just shy of the 2 hour mark and was happy enough that I'd covered a reasonable mileage so called it a day. Came back to a sleeping house and cursed myself for not running the extra 10 mins and bringing up the distance to another mile. Ah well.

Miles for the week - 40.44

Miles for the year - 571

After last week's conundrum about what race to enter at the end of this training block, there seems to be little on offer in the way of 10 mile/half marathons so I may have to settle for the BHAA Dunboyne 5 mile race on 29th May. Not ideal but hopefully it will be enough for me to determine my pacing for the remainder of my training leading up to DCM. Also, it will be new territory for me as I've never entered a 5mile race. Any thoughts/opinions would be welcome as usual.

Recommended reading: currently reading 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running' by Haruki Murakami. Equal parts travelogue, training log and details of his four month preparation for the 2005 NYC Marathon. It's incredibly descriptive and introspective, giving a whole new insight on running and what it means to run.

Thanks for reading!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Recommended reading: currently reading 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running' by Haruki Murakami. Equal parts travelogue, training log and details of his four month preparation for the 2005 NYC Marathon. It's incredibly descriptive and introspective, giving a whole new insight on running and what it means to run.

Great book! Read it years ago so need to read again as I forget a lot of it. But I remember that is was so well written and made me miss running at a time that I wasn't.

I am currently in the middle of a book you also might like, Running with the Buffaloes by Chris Lear. An absorbing account of Colorado University's cross country team during 3 months of training before competing in the top division of the NCAA Championships. It goes into a lot of detail on the workouts, distances, and paces, of at least 10 individual runners. Also great insight on the training principles of one of the most successful coaches in America - Mark Wetmore. If you Google him don't let the pic put you off ;)

• Advertisement

Great book! Read it years ago so need to read again as I forget a lot of it. But I remember that is was so well written and made me miss running at a time that I wasn't.

I am currently in the middle of a book you also might like, Running with the Buffaloes by Chris Lear. An absorbing account of Colorado University's cross country team during 3 months of training before competing in the top division of the NCAA Championships. It goes into a lot of detail on the workouts, distances, and paces, of at least 10 individual runners. Also great insight on the training principles of one of the most successful coaches in America - Mark Wetmore. If you Google him don't let the pic put you off ;)

M, I've actually had the book for about 6 years but just never got around to it!

Will definitely check it out that recommendation too, cheers!!

Grads 10k-Half marathon plan - Week 11

Monday 29th April - Off

Tuesday 30th April - 60 mins easy. 6.60m @ 9:15
    Standard fare. Nowt to report.

Wednesday 1st May - 16 x 90 sec @ threshold (7:21 - 7:11) w/30 sec rec jog. 4.3m @ 7:27
    Woke up early for this run but felt too tired to take on this session so early so decided to make it a lunch time session in the Phoenix Park. Beautiful day outside, perfect running conditions really. As with the previous week, ran from beginning of Chesterfield Ave, up to the Aras and back down North Rd, before doing a loop of the perimeter of the zoo. Probably wavered in and put on the faster end of the pacing here and there but for the most part I think I managed ok. Enjoyed a nice 2 mile recovery jog back to work.
    Perfick.

Thursday 2nd May - Off

Friday 3rd May - Off
    Took running gear into work but realised at the last second that I'd forgotten my shorts. No chance of an evening run as it was my niece's 21st so had to grin and bear it. Not a happy camper. Still, was treated to dinner in the Westbury so wasn't complaining!!

Saturday 4th May - 4 x 12 mins HM (7:20) w/2mins 30 rec jog. 7.28m @7:33
    Once again, this looked like a cinch on paper but found myself really needing the 2 and half mins recovery between reps. This plan was clearly well thought out by whoever's responsible for putting it together.
    Probably ended up going a little on the fast side but I felt ok. Warm up and cool down on either side.

Sunday 5th May- 1hr 45 mins easy (actually ran 1hr 54 mins). 11.30m @ 9:26
    Took the opening few miles a little bit (not much) easier than usual before settling into an easy enough rhythm. Absolutely glorious morning with a little nip in the air and a sprinkling of overnight frost. Ran over to Corkagh Park in Clondalkin, another really nice place to run.

Miles for the week - 36.22

Miles for the year - 607

So I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about my running (hear me out before you roll your eyes......):rolleyes:
    I've spoken on these pages before about how much I enjoy running solo and how it gives me an opportunity to switch off and just let my mind wander.
    I'm wondering if I'm over this now and if I should start seriously considering joining a club/running group. I have been reading with some envy about other runners' experiences with their clubs and the various events they get involved in. Sounds like really good fun as well as a great way to build up confidence and gain vital experience.
    All the plans I've followed to date have been done unaccompanied and it feels like it's now getting to a point where I need someone at the end of a session or a long run to say "that was great/good/average/awful/see you next week". As a solo runner, you're left to your own devices in a lot of ways and although it's been something I've relished for the most part, there is an element of feeling like a 'lonely runner' beginning to creep in.
    I'm saying this now, as the last thing I want is to find myself in July having all sorts of negative thoughts floating around my head as I'm about to undertake a 14 week marathon training plan. Either I suck it up or do something about it.
    The only thing going against my favour is free time (or lack of) available to me. As things are, I feel like I'm doing well just to get through the plan from one week to the next. How on earth am I going to find the time to commit to anything else.
    Perhaps these feelings will pass and that I will just have to accept that to get through the next 25 weeks, all I need to do is to keep the head down, stop focusing on what others are doing and stop over-thinking things.
    I also want to stress that these thoughts are just that. Thoughts.
    I'm not typing this out as a cry for help or in the hope that someone will wave a magic wand.
    Just getting it 'out there'. Do feel free to chip in though if you have any thoughts of your own on this subject.

Thanks for reading!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Yeah k, I did this marathon training block on my own....I definitely have had thoughts of joining a club for some of the same reasons, there’s a few not too far away from me. I think it can only be positive in most aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I think most clubs let you join in sessions / runs a few times before you'd have to commit to paying membership. No harm in trying that out, nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I know how you feel. We have similar experiences. For a long time I've been a solo trainer. Life commitments right now mean I just can't devote evenings to running. With a 18 month old and a pregnant wife at home I couldn't possibly justify heading away training in the evenings. But I do feel the lonely runner syndrome from time to time.

I joined a club last year predominantly to allow me enter XC and road race championship races. I've only trained with them once. One thing you might find is that they have a crew doing long runs at the weekend and that could be great company as you train for Dublin. Sessions with the clubs have their benefits if you can make them but you never should feel pressure to go. Some club runners never make the sessions (myself included). I've also noticed (especially from reading on Boards) that different clubs can give you wildly different experiences so it's worth doing research. I've been blown away by some of the comeraderie I've read in here with some of the Dublin clubs in particular. Go for it. Nothing to lose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Joining a club is definitely something I've considered. In my mind I'd kind of put it as a post DCM aim, to give me a renewed focus once that's out of the way. But your mention of DCM training has me wondering if I should bite the bullet sooner - lots of solo 14, 16, 18 milers to come over the next few months, maybe some company would be nice for the odd one. Running solo hasn't really bothered me before though, and for me the main draw of a club is the support on race days, that sense of being part of a team that I get from various club Facebook pages, makes me feel like I'm missing out on something. Nothing to lose by going down for a look as the others have said.

Thanks everyone!

Will definitely check out what's around over the next few weeks.........

A, I'm with you, it never bothered me before but it's only in the last few weeks that it's been on my mind. Don't want it to become 'a thing'. It's the long runs that I feel I could benefit from most by going out with others. Knowing me, I'll probably find somewhere and start missing my solo runs!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I might have suggested this before, so apologies if so but another option would be to start a thread here suggesting a time and place for the odd long run over the summer? There used to be a thread way back when. Less structured than a club and allows you to suggest times/paces that suit.

You're not alone (if you pardon the kind of pun) - I just did a search to try and find one of the threads in question and it seems to be a common theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I might have suggested this before, so apologies if so but another option would be to start a thread here suggesting a time and place for the odd long run over the summer? There used to be a thread way back when. Less structured than a club and allows you to suggest times/paces that suit.

You're not alone (if you pardon the kind of pun) - I just did a search to try and find one of the threads in question and it seems to be a common theme.

Found it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449727&page=181

If I wasn't as slow as Christmas, I'd get the ball rolling myself ;)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Found it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449727&page=181

If I wasn't as slow as Christmas, I'd get the ball rolling myself ;)

Thanks E! I think it would be great to get this thread up and running again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks E! I think it would be great to get this thread up and running again!!!

Just post on it and it will jump straight back to the top...up and rerunning in minutes! :p

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just post on it and it will jump straight back to the top...up and rerunning in minutes! :p

Yeah I definitely will. Might put the feelers out and see who bites.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah I definitely will. Might put the feelers out and see who bites.....

I'd do some Sunday's because (back to your question about joining a club) very few in my club run slowly enough for me. I went to one Sunday morning run and I had to speed up after a mile to catch the second last runner!!!

Grads 10k-Half marathon plan - Week 12

Monday 6th May - Off
    Need to get into the habit of running on Monday's more often....

Tuesday 7th May - 60 mins easy. 6.43m @ 9:30
    Can't quite remember why I left this till so late. What I do remember is having the opportunity to make this an early morning run and opting for a lie-in.

Wednesday 8th May - 6 x 4 min @ CV (6:52-7:01) w/2 min rec jog (preceded by warm up and followed by cool down) - 4.53m @7.31
    Another late one, having decided against another early run but didn't mind too much with the bright evenings. Honestly can't remember much about this particular session. Pacing was fine, I think.

Thursday 9th May - Off
    Too much stuff happening and already looking like a week to forget running wise.

Friday 10th May - Easy run. 7.22m @9.05
    Down to the Phoenix Park at lunch time for a slightly longer run than usual, knowing that the following couple of days would involve little or no running.

Saturday 11th May - Off
    Should have been a 35 min tempo run. Wife was away with friends for the weekend so had to scratch this one off. At one point, contemplated doing this in the shape of around 28 laps of the green outside our house with the kids keeping themselves occupied on a picnic blanket and the remainder of their easter eggs, but that plan never saw the light of day.

Sunday 12th May- Off
    Planned run was 2 hour lsr but had to strike this one off too. Very frustrating weekend, what with the weather being so good and not a single mile under my belt.
    Need to just forget about it now and look forward to next week but now fretting that the missed runs will hold me back from where I should be at at this stage.
    Putting things into perspective, need to remember that the OH truly deserves a weekend away with her mates so there's that too. :rolleyes:
    Also, some great running today from everyone at the various races. Well done to all! Have signed up for the BHAA 5 miler in Dunboyne on 28th May so really looking forward to that.
    Hugely disappointed with Liverpool's valiant-but-in-vain efforts today. Hard to believe that they played so well all season and still came up short. Even harder to believe that the last time they were league champions, I was just about to undertake my Leaving Cert....... :eek:

Miles for the week - A paltry 20.33

Miles for the year - 628

After lasts week's musings about solo running, I have bitten the bullet and decided to head out with the Esker Running Group on Tuesday evening. I already know a few of them from the local Parkrun and they're a nice bunch. Hopefully, my scheduled 60 mins easy run will go according to plan. Seems to be a wide variety of running abilities and they take their running pretty seriously too. Lets see how it pans out.

Thanks for reading!!

*Edit (13/05)
    Just remembered that the pacing for the session earlier in the week was a little off at times but each time it slipped, I felt I was still able to find more when needed. That's a very satisfying feeling and something I've been getting a lot better at as this plan has progressed.

Just posting these updates while they're fresh in my head......

Monday 13th May - 60 mins easy. 7.59m @ 9:32
    Woke up super early for this and was out the door by 5:35am. Plan said '20 mins recovery or OFF' but my brain said 75 mins easy. It was more a case of 'I need to do this' as opposed to chasing lost miles from the weekend.....honest! Just ran completely by feel. Loved it.

Tuesday 14th May - 60 mins easy. 6.64m @ 9:11
    Glorious evening for this, made sure it wasn't too late what with the session the following morning. GPS was acting up a little bit. I was taking it very handy but the Garmin was displaying 8:30/8:50 min miles which was a bit off-putting.
    The original plan was to head out with the esker Running Group but I'd found out earlier in the day that they were doing a speed session so I gave that one a miss. Will hopefully head out with them on Sunday morning.

Wednesday 15th May - 2 x 20 mins HM (7:15) w/5 mins recovery jog
    Was well prepared for this. Had a change of clothes in work from the previous day. Well hydrated. Good breakfast. Took some water with me and a gel. Left right on time and off I went.
    Started with a 2 mile warm up but was then faced with an uphill path for the beginning of the first of the two 20 min reps. Not ideal. Levelled out after about half a km and with the clear sky above and some heat already coming from the the sun, I could feel already that I would be doing well to reach and sustain the required pace.
    After the first rep which I think went ok pace-wise, I allowed myself an extra minute of a recovery jog and once those 6 minutes were up, I upped the pace yet again for the second rep. As I made my way onto the Chapelizod Rd, I could start to feel like a much greater effort was required and I was noticing that the pace was slowing down to around 7:35/7:45. Tried again to push on but it was making little or no difference. By now, I had not much water left and this only added to my discomfort.
    Even though I knew it was perhaps time to either ease up and forget about the pacing or stop completely, I kept going for another few minutes and when I looked at the watch and saw there was another 10 mins to go, I threw in the towel and knew enough was enough, just as I was approaching Islandbridge. No point going any further. Don't really know what went wrong, I just knew something didn't feel right. Not sure that's ever happened to me before but in a way, it's probably not necessarily a bad thing.

Still had to get into work so a had a Strava-free trundle up the Quays.
    Was planning on racing this weekend's Parkrun but I will perhaps have a rethink. have remained injury free thus far and am certainly not going to do anything foolish now. Knowing me though, and my impulses, I will probably do it anyway. :rolleyes:

Aaaaaaaanyway..........just needed to thrash that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

As I said on Strava, I think you did the right thing and listened to your body. Also, I don’t know what it is but at the end of the 5-10km plan I’d a session as well where I couldn’t hit the paces and I’m almost sure it happened before one of my other races too recently but can’t remember which one. I don’t know what it was caused it each time but didn’t cause any bother on the day either. See how you feel about Parkrun on a Saturday and just go with it.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    As I said on Strava, I think you did the right thing and listened to your body. Also, I don’t know what it is but at the end of the 5-10km plan I’d a session as well where I couldn’t hit the paces and I’m almost sure it happened before one of my other races too recently but can’t remember which one. I don’t know what it was caused it each time but didn’t cause any bother on the day either. See how you feel about Parkrun on a Saturday and just go with it.

K, I was using this as a runmute and part of me is wondering if that has anything to with it. Even though I left the house early enough, I was still keeping one eye on on the time. Might not have been as relaxed as I could have been under any other circumstances.
    Probably clutching at straws but anyway, it's done now!

Grads 10k-Half marathon plan - Week 13

Thursday 16th May - Off

Friday 17th May - 45 mins easy. 5.03m @ 9.15
    Headed over to the Trinity grass track for a nice easy saunter. Most people would normally use this for session work but I like these easy runs, taking in the surroundings. Lovely place to run on a warm Summer day too. This particular day was grey and drizzly but the surface was just right as always.

Saturday 18th May - Parkrun. 3.1 m @ 6.21
    This had been on my mind for most of the week, mainly because I wasn't sure if I should race it or take it a bit handier.
    Was still bothered about the run earlier in the week that was cut short and I wondered if any potential underlying niggles might flare up.
    As I did my warm up, I finally decided to go for it and try to get at least something out of this training block, hopefully in the shape of a sub-20 if not a new PB. Weather was perfect, a little bit of cloud cover overhead and the turnout was reasonably good.
    I knew that I would have to stay within 6:15-6:30 if I wanted sub-20 but the fact that it was my first Parkrun since January stopped me from feeling as confident as I probably would have liked.
    We set off and instantly, there were about three or four runners who were off like a shot (one was from Lucan Harriers) and had established a comfortable enough looking lead by the opening kilometre.
    I didn't even try to keep up with them but made sure to keep on top of the pacing at the same time. The eventual gap that opened up between me and the front runners and between me and the group behind may have gone against my favour. I wanted to make sure that I didn't lose too much ground on the leaders and also made sure that I didn't give anyone an opportunity to catch up so was probably putting myself under unnecessary extra pressure. Mile 1 was 6:15.
    Mile 2 (6:20) was marginally slower than the first mile and it was about this stage that the effort required to maintain the pace felt like it was becoming a bit of a struggle. The pace was wavering between 6:25 - 6:35 and the feeling of wondering if I had enough in the locker stayed with me into the closing stages. I was keeping one eye on the time elapsed vs distance left to the finish line (approx 400 metres) and suddenly found myself having to really push hard towards the finish line.
    The time for mile 3 was 6:30 and eventually made it over the finish line in 19:53, 30 seconds behind 6th place and 30 seconds ahead of 8th place.
    I must say, I was a little dismayed at the time, given that my pb of 19:42 was achieved at a time when I was relatively new to running. Obviously I'm very happy with this time and I'd rather that I ran a slower time knowing that it was paced properly, or should I say, paced better........;)
    I know it's only a Parkrun and I probably shouldn't take it so seriously but I just wanted to see where I was at, physically.

Sunday 19th May- 70 mins easy.
    Really nice late evening run in the post-shower sunshine. Ran this completely by feel.

Miles for the week - 39.57

Miles for the year - 668

Recommended reading - 'This is Going to Hurt' by Adam Kay.
    Recommended listening - 'I am Easy to Find' by The National

Thanks for reading!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Recommended reading - 'This is Going to Hurt' by Adam Kay.
    Recommended listening - 'I am Easily Found' by The National
    Ooh you've just reminded me I've been meaning to have a listen to this - that's my cooking music for this evening sorted ;) It's good so?

Re: the parkrun it's tough when you get stuck between groups and end up on your own like that. And you were still only 11 seconds off your PB so I'm sure under slightly different circumstances if you had people to work off you would certainly have reached it.

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Ooh you've just reminded me I've been meaning to have a listen to this - that's my cooking music for this evening sorted ;) It's good so?

Re: the parkrun it's tough when you get stuck between groups and end up on your own like that. And you were still only 11 seconds off your PB so I'm sure under slightly different circumstances if you had people to work off you would certainly have reached it.

Haha, I just realised I got the album title wrong.......it should be 'I Am Easy to Find' :rolleyes:

I've only given it a couple of listens but sounds great so far. Lots of great guest vocalists!

Yeah, I think you're right about having other runners to work off (to an extent or course). Definitely a 'thing' for me!

Advertisement