Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It's funny how phrasing can show one's biases.....one man's, 'Brexit-like vote' is another man's, 'honouring the Good Friday Agreement'.

That agreement says absolutely nothing about qualified majorities or super majorities; if that's what you want to see, I'd suggest you get a move on with building support to opt out of the GFA.

I'm sure you're aware, the biggest issue with the Brexit vote is that it was a non-binding referendum, which meant a vague question could be asked. On the Irish side of the border at least, that won't be possible. Would Brexit have been voted for in the case of a more robust referendum? Probably not.

Even then, while no one WANTS a border poll to pass with 50% + 1 of the vote, I don't see how any democrat could suggest not proceeding with Unification should 50% +1 vote for it. Any concerns about the instability created by proceeding in that case are surely matched by equivalent or greater concerns in rejecting it should a majority favour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I think the poster is referring to Francie's attempts to stifle debate on the cost of unification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

If that's the case, mea culpa. Perhaps I'm mixing Mark up with someone else, but I was under the impression he was one of those who had argued in favour of waiting until much greater than 50% were in favour and that's what formed my reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Pointing out economic and mathematical facts is not scare-mongering, it is realistic debate.

The fact that you continually fail to rebut a single point in relation to the cost of a united Ireland says it all about your fears. (well, other than proposing that taxing unicorns and rainbows will create a land of milk and honey, I haven't seen any rebuttal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I support unification but I doubt 10 years is long enough. How do we address the paramilitary issue? I suppose you could assume it will have dissipated by then, but with the current NI Protocol row that has already dragged on for almost 2 years (and the wider question of NI under Brexit for much longer) I doubt that. It's clear that despite the move to the Centre in recent elections, the DUP and UUP are retreating into traditional rejectionism with their "never never" rhetoric on the Protocol. I dont favour trying to swallow more than we can chew. Let's get the Protocol issue resolved first before moving onto a far more complicated question.

• Advertisement

The post he was replying too was part of Francie attempt to stifle debate on Irish Unity. Francie reckons I shouldn't talk about the costs without also talking about the benefits. Problem is, I don't think 35bn over 8 years is much of a return for Scenario 3 in the Hubner report. I can't see any other benefits that need unification to occur. I was interested in the idea pf PS reform as the Republics record on that is poor but as I said to Francie, do you think we can take on the Unions and win a border poll? That's a significant number of people to p*ss off.

There isn't a chance that a border poll would pass if it is predicated on public service reform delivering savings and benefits. The numbers in the North in the public service would be enough to bring it to 65% against.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,099 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who is 'trying' to stifle debate'?

I love the way you put words and actions on me jh79.

I've no idea about the PS in NI except that there are far too many employed in it.

It's reform of the PS in the Republic that I would see as a benefit if unification was a catalyst for change. But the Unions in this country have too much power and I struggle to see a successful border poll if real reform was proposed.

There is a growing call for change in Irish politics that has seen the power swap's share of the vote fall from 86% to just over 40%.

Part of the reason for that I believe is reflected in the throwing of hands in the air and muttering 'what can be done' above.

The remaining power swap faithful either fall into that category or are either happy with or are being rewarded by the status quo.

• Advertisement

Maybe they are not happy but don't see the alternative as offering a better chance.

Take the PS, I would like to see real reform either in the Republic or a New Ireland. SF have already said no redundancies for NI PS workers. So why would I want a more powerful SF in the mix when I already know they won't tackle PS numbers?

Ah, Francie, the things you cling to.

Labour were part of the power swap, on the way back, up in the polls, with Ivana wiping Lynn off the floor.

No sign of a border poll this decade (Tom will be back in a minute with his stages of grief).

I saw the partitionist label sneaking back into the discussion this morning, now we have moved on to the power swap label as the desperation rises and falls.

Maybe there are other ways of reform? Trust you to go for the scary mass sacking option being the only one.

Are you saying that there will be a guarantee of no compulsory redundancies in the public service, both North and South, in the case of a united Ireland.

If NO, a referendum will be lost.

If YES, we can calculate the cost of that promise.

Looking forward to your nonsensical equivocal response on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ah once again the 'oh but it'll cost too much even though ive no idea at all what the costs are since we dont know what shape a UI will be, so therefore my flaffing about cost doesnt really matter at this stage as its a totally moot question but I am being too silly to realise that' brigade are back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

considering there'll be one government and considering it may well take a decade or two - yet another much ado about nothing going on here. Funny blanch 152 ignores the number of times these things have been pointed out. just pretend no-one said anything, wait a few pages and then start again.

Hardly mass sackings, bring the % PS workers in line with the Republic. Assess the PS in NI and have reducancies across the whole Island depending on double jobbing.

The failed statelets economy is being propped up by the British through the subvention and excessively high PS numbers.

It's a bad start to the "New Ireland" with regards PS reform if we keep staff that are not required.

Transition period blanch. I fully expect there to be a long transition period where rationalisations and adjustments can be made as painlessly as possible. It would also allow belligerent Unionism it's 'Never Never Never, ah shure go on', period and partitionists time to adjust to a UI and come up with new scary stuff.

Oh, we are back to the fabled "transition period" now. An idea thrown out as a set answer with absolutely nothing behind it to explain what it means.

Sometimes I think you live in a Star Trek universe where the Klingons (partitionists) and the Romulans (unionists) will be defeated through the cunning use of photon torpedos (transition phase) and an unlimited supply of dilithium crystals (money) from the heretofore untrustworthy arch-enemies the Borg (the Brits) and it all that fails Q (Francie) can just click his fingers and pretend that he has disappeared all of the objections.

You are objecting just for sake of it now. Carry on.

• Advertisement

Explain your fabled idea of a transition period, how it will be paid for, what it entails, how it is squared with equality in a united Ireland etc. You are just throwing it out there because you haven't a clue.

Jaysus...'explain a tranistion period'? Really?

An agreed transition period where the two parties to the GFA put in place rationalisations and adjustments to the various agencies and institutions of the state ahead of a UI. Paid for by both parties to the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Technically a 50%+1 majority would be a win, but only in the pyrrhic sense.

Anyone who seriously thinks a UI is good to go and everything will be grand in such an event is borrowing their brains from the UKIP crowd.

Then again, the uber nationalists share much in common with that crowd.

Yes, explain a transition period, the legal basis, the economic basis, what does it mean, etc. It hardly seems possible, but it looks like you have even less of an understanding of a transition period than you do of a fabled united Ireland.

😀😀

You are a gas man.

I dare say that there can be a legal basis worked out between two governments blanch. The GFA is a process/transition period in effect. I would imagine it would be structured similarly with in built protections and provisions.

'Fabled' it aint.

Without the details no way of knowing if it benefits unification or just delays the impact of the problems

As a SF member surely you're aware that the SF commissioned Hubner report requires an instant 2% reduction in public expenditure within NI to achieve the stated benefits of unification.

Data is available to calculate the cost. Granted it could be funded by the EU/UK but the cost is still the same no matter who is paying.

• Advertisement

From Doyle's paper

Existing economic models of an all-island economy predict a positive impact on economic growth, following a transition period, at a level sufficient to cover this deficit, although more work needs to be done on the public policy decisions necessary to support sustainable economic growth and to maximise the benefits of a larger and integrated all-island economy. Research and debate are also required on the type of public services to be provided by the new state and their likely costs. The underlying economy, taxation system and the type of public services that are provided in health, welfare, education and infrastructure, will be the real determining factors of the costs and benefits of a united Ireland and those are the areas where public debate should focus. 

So already factored into the models, as per the first bolded words, to offset the costs of the subvention.

What would be required within your vision of a transition period that will offset the factors that are the real determining factors of the costs and benefits?

I don't think we have any published data for what this version of a transition period might luck like.

Advertisement