Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get up early in the morning hack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

OK, after months of using my phones "smart alarm" i set an alarm without it this morning and it was greeted with a f*ck off and turned off. I woke up 2 hours later.

The smart alarm starts going off 3 minutes before the actual alarm time starting really quietly and playing a fairly sedate and inoffensive tone. Without fail it has woken me up gently after 1 or 2 minutes. In 3 months i never heard my actual alarm tone and i never woke the missus or the kids with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BradClark

I tried using my smartphone (samsung note2) as a wake up alarm. Didn't go down so well when it woke up my gf and she threw it across the room. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What I do is set my alarm to full volume, and then fúck it across the bedroom on to an old sofa.

Occasionally doesn;t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I've a fail safe system for getting up. My phone is across the room with a really loud tune as the alarm. As soon as it goes off I get a dig in the ribs from the missus "turn that fecking alarm off" and thats it I'm up. Works every time lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8QEJJNU.gif

EbQBDFD.gif

Or something to turn on the light / open curtains

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Or something to turn on the light / open curtains
    I remember somebody on Dragon's Den had an invention that opened the curtains at a specific time.

Only problem is it won't do much good here if it's half 7 on a December morning. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I could get up, get dressed, go downstairs, put out the bins, and yet still talk myself into getting back into bed for "just another five minutes"... (this has actually happened....!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 nofeelings

Wouldnt be much use in ireland then so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

Ed Bryne sums it up

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Any good android alarm apps that gradually increase in volume (natural sounds- birds tweeting etc) /increase in brightness.

I have a thing called "i can't wake up" but it's either crap or i'm using it wrongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

My Samsung android build in alarm, has a "Smart Alarm" function, goes off 3 min before actual alarm set, soft low music, find it great, but I do set 3 alarms on the phone 4 or 5 min apart, I don't trust myself with snooze, eventually it annoys me into getting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hatchetshop

If I need to get up early I keep my watch on when I'm going to sleep. And I make sure it's tight. Not a foolproof method but decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

If I need to get up early I keep my watch on when I'm going to sleep. And I make sure it's tight. Not a foolproof method but decent.

I don't get you, do you use poor blood circulation to wake you?

Just came across this, don't know how google thought it was related to what I was actually looking for, but this would certainly make you jump out of bed...

Wake Up With An Electric Shock

I've often thought of a ghetto version of this but never implemented it. AC wall timer into a 12v transformer into an electric cattle fence pulse generator tied to the mattress springs. The mattress cover would dampen it a fair bit but it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FudgeBrownie

I just use the most annoying alarm on my phone which annoys me so much I can't help but wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

Don't forget a good nights sleep, easier to get up when not tired.

p6W1vHI.jpg
    on an entirely different note this site lifehackable.com is brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

An eye mask helps get a deeper night sleep IMO. And as refreshed after 6-7 hours as I used to be with 8 tbh.
    Has certainly helped me. Tenner on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pwarren

Just drink a couple of glasses of water the night before. Works like a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What I do is set 3alarms!
    ~ One to 'Wake Up'
    ~ Two to 'Get Up'
    ~ Three to 'Get up or Be Late'

Very seldom do I reach the third thankfully. Normally have 10-15mins between each setting.
    That's what works for me,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I came on here looking for advice on this very issue.

As a night owl all my life, I now have to leave the house at 7am on the dot to be in time for work. So for the past week couple of weeks I have been getting up at just after 6 to do just that.

Number 1 life hack, to achieve this is go to bed early. I know it sounds obvious, but for me at least, there is no amount of caffiene in the world that even compares to getting enough sleep. For me enough sleep is about 7.5 hours. If I consistently get 7.5 hours per night, waking up is no longer the issue.

Getting up and getting out are the next hurdles. Sometimes I go through what I need to do in the morning in my head, admittedly as a way of delaying actually getting up. The things I find help, is make sure all the clothes you plan to wear are off the clothes horse and in your bedroom the night before. Avoids unnecessary exploratory missions around the rest of the house/flat. Seemingly obvious stuff like having your bag packed the night before helps a lot as well. Its only 2 minutes in the evening and its the same 2 minutes in the morning, but in the morning that 2 minutes could mean the difference between catching your bus or luas, and not catching it.

I'll post back with any more ideas I come with, but obviously doing as much stuff the night before is a big one.

My bedroom is like a bomb hit it and I have read and been told that having a neat and minimalist bedroom aides both sleep and organisation in the morning so that will be something I'll be experimenting with next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I've been getting up at 6ish every morning (excluding weekends but even then I wake up a bit earlier) for the last few months.

Luckily I'm a decent sleeper so I hit the bed by 10, have all my food/bags packed for in the morning, and treat mysel with a cup of coffee if I get up on time! Really helps me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Clothes for the next day are left out the night before. Bag is packed the night before, especially if I'm going training after work.

Once the alarm goes, I throw my legs out of the bed and get up.

The time from alarm to out the door is less than 25 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

syklops wrote: »
    My bedroom is like a bomb hit it and I have read and been told that having a neat and minimalist bedroom aides both sleep and organisation in the morning so that will be something I'll be experimenting with next.

My room isn't minimalist, per se, but everything is put away and there's no visible clutter. The wardrobes are reasonably 'organised' so I know there's no clutter behind the doors. Clutter would annoy me but also I think it helps sleep that the space around me is in order.

While I think of it, I don't give myself much time to spare in the morning between getting up and getting out. It's not overly rushed but there's no time for lying there after the alarm goes off thinking about getting up. I found that helps keep me moving.

But it takes my brain some time to switch on in the morning so everything had to be laid out that I can get to work with everything I need and without having to think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Tune-in Radio has an alarm function (possibly only the professional version) But it works for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

mr96 wrote: »
    To stop yourself going back to bed/sleep get into a cold shower. Bit of a shock to the system at first but just breathe slowly and stay under as long as possible. Trust me you will feel amazing afterwards

I can't physically or mentally do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Install an electric fence to your bed, have it on a plug in timer to come on 5 minutes after your alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

I'm always stuck in the bed every five minutes my alarm snooze... Lets try this thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mr96 wrote:
    To stop yourself going back to bed/sleep get into a cold shower. Bit of a shock to the system at first but just breathe slowly and stay under as long as possible. Trust me you will feel amazing afterwards

Nothing will make me more likely to climb back into bed after the trauma of getting out of it than having a cod shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Most modern tvs have a wakeup function, I can tell my Samsung to come on at 07:30 am Monday to Fridays only, listening to Eamonn Holmes and his vapid guests talking sh1t on Sky News usually annoys me enough to keep me awake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭melbite

I can imagine I'd still find a way to crawl back to bed :)

Advertisement