Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get up early in the morning hack

Options
  • 25-06-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have been using this technique or "trap" as I like to call it for the past three years, and it is great for getting me up on important mornings, when I have a lot of work/study to do, or just if I want to be up early.

Basically what you do is lock a pair of speakers connected to your alarm in a container of some sort (make sure the speakers are loud enough to wake you up, and that you cant plug them out, or muffle them). I use a padlock and small chain, and lock my wardrobe shut.

Then you get the key of the lock, and put it securely under a big rock or something, a five minutes walk away.

Then you set your alarm for whatever time, and then when it wakes you, you have to walk to the place the key is hidden, and back again, then unlock and turn off the alarm, and by the time you are back, you will be a bit awake, and if you have placed the key far enough away you won't want to go back to bed, or will be able to resist the temptation to.

Its simple in theory, but it takes a bit of planning to be able to outwit your desperate to go back to bed, morning self.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I actually used the exact same tip but would put the key inside a basin of water, nothing gets you going like having to plunge your hand into cold water first thing in the am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Good idea. There is also an app in Android (I Can't Wake Up, if I remember correctly) where you have to solve a mathematical puzzle to stop the alarm. Another option is to scan the barcode of something in your house. Then when you wake up you have to go to that object, wherever it is in your house and scan it in order to stop the alarm.

The problem with these is after a couple of weeks your sleepy self figures out a workaround to just turn off the phone in a desperate attempt to get back to sleep. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Just have kids....

There is nothing like getting a kick in the head at 6 in the morning from your 5 year old who is sleeping upside down between you and the missus after sneaking into your bed during the night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Access wrote: »
    Just have kids....

There is nothing like getting a kick in the head at 6 in the morning from your 5 year old who is sleeping upside down between you and the missus after sneaking into your bed during the night. :D

Kids? That's one very expensive alarm clock :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Good idea. There is also an app in Android (I Can't Wake Up, if I remember correctly) where you have to solve a mathematical puzzle to stop the alarm. Another option is to scan the barcode of something in your house. Then when you wake up you have to go to that object, wherever it is in your house and scan it in order to stop the alarm.

The problem with these is after a couple of weeks your sleepy self figures out a workaround to just turn off the phone in a desperate attempt to get back to sleep. :D

Ha yep, bloody battery saving app, I would just go into that and turn the alarm clock app straight off.

But anyways, if I really can't be late for something early in the morning, I just put the phone up on a high shelf, but still reasonably close to the bed that its loud. Vibrate on full also on a timber surface makes it louder again! Just do not let yourself fall back into the bed!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 peterwhit

I actually used the exact same tip but would put the key inside a basin of water, nothing gets you going like having to plunge your hand into cold water first thing in the am.

must try that with my phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭akthung

I've really no trouble waking up early. In fact sometimes i want to sleep more but my body already wants to wake up, have coffee and sit in a quiet corner. i still get 7 hours of sleep every night. no need for alarm. i guess it's my body clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I tried this and woke up late to find I had simply thrown my mobile out the window my sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WRECK TANGLE

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mr96

To stop yourself going back to bed/sleep get into a cold shower. Bit of a shock to the system at first but just breathe slowly and stay under as long as possible. Trust me you will feel amazing afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to just have my extremely loud alarmclock in another room.

You can get special alarmclocks that make you work to turn them off. This one is a helicopter which takes off and will land randomly somewhere else each day

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Helicopter-Novelty-Alarm-Gadget/dp/B00BFCHSB6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379423467&sr=8-2&keywords=helicopter+alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Put your alarm on the other end of the room, forcing you to get up - instead of you just reaching over to smack the SNOOZE button.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

If you have to get up earlier than your OH, set your phone alarm on her side of the bed, she won't be long giving you a kick to get up and turn it off thinking its on your side of the bed when half asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 treeoflife145

mr96 wrote: »
    To stop yourself going back to bed/sleep get into a cold shower. Bit of a shock to the system at first but just breathe slowly and stay under as long as possible. Trust me you will feel amazing afterwards
    This is true. I do this sometimes. It's terrible and then it's great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I just sleep with the blinds open enough to let light in, lets you wake up naturally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I just sleep with the blinds open enough to let light in, lets you wake up naturally!

I did this during the summer months and it works great, however since the mornings are darker now it doesn't work. A good alternative is putting your bedside lamp on a timer switch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

from Bargain Alerts

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86965231#post86965231

Sunrise Alarm Clock, Aldi Specials on Sunday - €29.99
    Potential bargain alert, if you have considered getting one of those well reviewed Philips wake up lights thingees in the past as they cost well over 100 euro.

also this tip for the receipt ( I try to leave them in the battery compartment )

+1, and not to mention Aldi's 3 year warranty. As soon as you take it out of the box, put the receipt in a small plastic sleeve and tape it to the bottom of this yoke. 3 years warranty assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCruiser

I had this yoke

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suck-Almond-Clocky-Clock-Runaway/dp/B000PWLTNA

and put it in my shower so I'd have to actually get in there to turn it off, by that stage, it was easier to turn on the shower than go to bed. Unfortunately the shower dripped on it and it died a death :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCruiser

Has anyone heard of any android apps that use a preset radio station as the alarm? Would help to have loud human voices to wake me up...

Try something like this? This is only for Samsung but I'm sure a search around the Play Store will sort you out.l.

FM ALARM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

4051_96c7_500.jpeg

Just came across this, don't know how google thought it was related to what I was actually looking for, but this would certainly make you jump out of bed...

Wake Up With An Electric Shock

Clicky

be486da71292c346302f558155e6a6ee.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Have a child!

ce80400d72207326b174362b9222944d.jpg

Don't forget a good nights sleep, easier to get up when not tired.

p6W1vHI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Clipboard041.jpg

Just load it up with a few 50s

That's just the ultimate cruelness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Just came across this, don't know how google thought it was related to what I was actually looking for, but this would certainly make you jump out of bed...

Wake Up With An Electric Shock

Clicky

be486da71292c346302f558155e6a6ee.jpg

Can you actually buy this or is it just concept?

Think it's a concept fow now, but wouldn't be surprised to see it on shelves soon...

Singnshock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭neilaccountant

seems reasonable.. might give what OP has suggested see if it works :)

Advertisement