Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yikes, no bikes!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

just back from decathlon (my wife needed horsey stuff). they're well stocked with bikes, can see them being the death of some nearby LBSes.
    i picked up a pair of shimano pedals; flat one side, SPDs the other (which i just amusingly saw smacl describe as 'the worst of both worlds' in a different thread)
    What ones did you buy? I tried 3 different kinds before I found these Shimano T420s and every single one of them were badly designed so there was a lump from the SPD side hurting your foot, every one I look at online seems to have the same design flaw except for the Shimanos, its baffling.

The T420s are perfection though, dont know what Ill do when they wear out because they're sold out everywhere for the last couple of years:

QXMClZO.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What was the que like?
    about ten minutes waiting, but we went after 7pm, was much much busier earlier in the day according to one staff member we were talking to.

lots of milling around inside the place though, not exactly ideal from a disease transmission point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ED E wrote: »
    Dump the reflector, and if that marking on the bar tape isnt cleanable then put new tape on it. For €12 itll look a lot more attractive.
    The reflector still on the handlebars makes it look completely unused though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Had those on my beater bike for a good while found them grand.

These days I've PD-EH500 on one bike and PD-ED500 (spd both sides) on the other. The ED500 was recommended maybe here to me for starting out and they are a breeze to get in and out of.

• Advertisement

PD-ED500
    ed209_preview_featured.jpg

actually, i think i might have a pair of those in the garage, had trouble with them because the sole of the shoes i use came down too far around the cleat, so contacted the cage and gave them a very stiff feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ED E wrote: »
    Dump the reflector, and if that marking on the bar tape isnt cleanable then put new tape on it. For €12 itll look a lot more attractive.
    Dump all the reflectors, front, rear and spokes. Also remove the saddlebag and toe clips. Less is more when selling a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dump all the reflectors, front, rear and spokes. Also remove the saddlebag and toe clips. Less is more when selling a bike.

If he dumps all the spokes, then the wheels will collapse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I do wonder how anyone rode the bike with the saddle pointed that far down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

If he dumps all the spokes, then the wheels will collapse.

Also the listing is important for searchable keywords try - men’s road bike giant contend sl

And say medium suits someone from height x to y.

Assume your buyer will no nothing about bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

CramCycle wrote: »
    I do wonder how anyone rode the bike with the saddle pointed that far down.

I didn't, I had a saddle on it from a previous bike that had many miles maracycles etc done . looked a bit shook though.

flatface wrote: »
    Also the listing is important for searchable keywords try - men’s road bike giant contend sl

Thanks, edited there now

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

anyone know of bike shops in Dublin with a half decent selection of bikes available?

Looking to get a simple enough one just to cycle with a friend (possibly up dublin mountains).
    I have fe*k all clue about bikes so any shops advice appreciated.

I have looked at halfords and a smaller place but nothing much available, a good few available on adverts.ie but I have no idea whats value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Just phoned some of the top second-hand bike stores in Dublin. All road bikes are sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Thargor wrote: »
    What do you mean rolled it out early? Its been running for years, you can do it any time?

Tesco only do it once a year for a month , October or November not sure which.

onlineweb wrote: »
    Just phoned some of the top second-hand bike stores in Dublin. All road bikes are sold out.
    there aren't that many places selling secondhand. who did you ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Keep an eye on Cycle Superstore's used bike selection, there's a few here
    https://usedbikes.ie/bicycle/user/profile?user_id=64

Thargor wrote: »
    The reflector still on the handlebars makes it look completely unused though.

The bike is as new, I didn't get the good health to ride it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Was at Halfords during the week to get a tyre, they are waiting for new bike shipments from China. It is not just a local phenomenon even the stock market carnival barkers have noticed.

Cycle for health: Pandemic leads to a bicycle boom, and shortage, around the world

Decathlon CEO apologises for bike shortages

Backlash continues on Evans Cycles social media pages, with customers complaining about order delays

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

popped into decathlon today (my wife wanted to do a fathers day present hunt) and they had road bikes and mountain bikes in stock - but the urban bikes and all other bike sections were pretty bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

popped into decathlon today (my wife wanted to do a fathers day present hunt) and they had road bikes and mountain bikes in stock - but the urban bikes and all other bike sections were pretty bare.

what were the ques like? I drove in and did a 180 on the roundabout on Tuesday evening

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I dumped my rusted-to-****e mountain last summer and intended to get a new one this summer - for rare leisure only use. Last one was ~240 from Halfords and I wouldn't want to spend more than ~300. I'm quite tall.

I'm going to have to get total junk or nothing, right? Or wait til next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

neris wrote: »
    what were the ques like? I drove in and did a 180 on the roundabout on Tuesday evening

I'd like to know that also.

neris wrote: »

between us arriving before noon, and the 45 minutes in the place, the queue outside had tripled. but the queue for the tills, timewise, was longer than the queue to get in. i suspect we were queueing outside for not much longer than 5 minutes, but close to 20 for the tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

L1011 wrote: »
    I dumped my rusted-to-****e mountain last summer and intended to get a new one this summer - for rare leisure only use. Last one was ~240 from Halfords and I wouldn't want to spend more than ~300. I'm quite tall.

I'm going to have to get total junk or nothing, right? Or wait til next year.

Have you tried second hand? Adverts or Donedeal? Just make sure you're not buying a stolen bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was in cycle super store yesterday buying two bikes. Was told there were 400 bikes ahead of me and would take 2 weeks to build

I was there too, probably a 30 to 40 minute wait to get in the door.

flatface wrote: »

Bike is sold, thanks for your help.
    Buyer was glad of the information, as you said size medium meant nothing to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

godtabh wrote:
    I was in cycle super store yesterday buying two bikes. Was told there were 400 bikes ahead of me and would take 2 weeks to build

It's be great to see some published figures on bike sales this year. In the same vein as "the economy is doing great because of X increase in car registrations over last period"

Advertisement