Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yikes, no bikes!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Beeper bikes have had a huge impact in my area. Lots of people started using them and now they're looking for their own bikes. You can't find either a beeper bike or a bike shop with stock today.

those feckin bleeper bikes do my head in. gangs of young ones on them out our way and theyre either blocking up the cycle lanes and not moving out of the way or their zig zagging all over the place while tying to use a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Oberkon wrote: »
    Seen a woman struggling at Blake’s Cross on her lovely new bike earlier, with cars wizzing by and herself trying to just go straight past the Lusk exit with some difficulty..
    Presumably she was going southbound on the R132 passing the Lusk turn? That's a squeaky bum time junction in that direction alright.

I was driving to work this morning and a cyclist was passing the junction heading south. He came to a complete stop at the plastic bollards even though he had right of way and beckoned me to continue. He probably had a few close calls. I'm amazed no cyclist had been killed there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Pass Jimmys bikeshop on my spin most days and there is always a que of people outside waiting to get into the shop.Repaired bike are lined up outside waiting for the owners to collect them,and I swear everyday there's at least a dozen repaired bikes in a line.
    I've noticed the roads are nearly back to normal with traffic and d1ckhead driver's,which will be the end of family's and children cycling.
    I just hope that cyclist's death's dont go back to normal now.

Went by that today and the whole coast road was jammed , from the garage at the roundabout to jimmys bike shop was at standstill . Portmarnock is destroyed with traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Presumably she was going southbound on the R132 passing the Lusk turn? That's a squeaky bum time junction in that direction alright.

I was driving to work this morning and a cyclist was passing the junction heading south. He came to a complete stop at the plastic bollards even though he had right of way and beckoned me to continue. He probably had a few close calls. I'm amazed no cyclist had been killed there yet.

It’s madness alright , they come bombing out from lusk and you have to try and get across the lane . Cycling for 25 years and I always have a heart flutter coming up to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

dahat wrote: »
    2 major local local employers just rolled out there B2W scheme early, stupid decision given the current climate.
    What do you mean rolled it out early? Its been running for years, you can do it any time?

• Advertisement

Witnessed what happens in a bike/scooter shortage for kids earlier as a convoy of girls from the ages of I'd say 5-12 passed the house on roller skates/blades resurrected from somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thargor wrote: »
    What do you mean rolled it out early? Its been running for years, you can do it any time?

They normally do it later in the year en masse rather than apply at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

But what's the problem doing it now, why is it a stupid decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭ratracer

But what's the problem doing it now, why is it a stupid decision?

From speaking with friends recently who were asking me about bikes, it seems some companies only run their BTW scheme once or twice a year for say, 6 weeks. This is probably just a lazy, couldn’t be bothered attitude from the company’s accounts section.
    In which case, those company’s opening the scheme now is a bit unfair on the employee as there is very little choice available at the moment. Ridiculous, but it seems to be a common enough practice.

The HSE do it from March to September. It should be all year round IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭cletus

The ETB do it from January to November, but that's the repayment window too. Some other arms of the Public sector do it from August for a 6 week period.

It's all ridiculous. I can't see any reason why it can't be run all year round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd say a lot of bike shops are picking up the slack from Halfords which closed, I don't know if they are back doing bikes again.

Maybe its a god time to start getting rid of the extra bikes in the shed. I've a few I pulled the ads when the lock down came in.

I've a few who are out growing their bikes very fast. Already had to get one kids bike this summer. I need another one soon. I also need a new hyrbid bike myself.

Though if Working home becomes permanent thing, even for part of the week it will change my bicycle plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

crosswords wrote: »
    First it was loo roll.

Then it was pasta.

Now it's bikes.

What's the next bandwagon?
    you forgot flour & yeast

waiting_for_the_bandwagon_1080.jpg

With the bars closed there is no "bloke in the pub" to tell these people the error of their ways, when pubs reopen there will be a sharp drop as people realise they are considered scum and the roads are deathtraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ratracer wrote: »
    In which case, those company’s opening the scheme now is a bit unfair on the employee as there is very little choice available at the moment. Ridiculous, but it seems to be a common enough practice.

You can pick your bike now and get it when it's in stock if the bike you want isn't in stock? If the bike is in stock then you get the bike now, I don't see that being ridiculous at all? Doing the scheme later in the year is of no benefit for the bikes in stock?

If your issue is with companies not running the scheme year long then I see your point but still don't see a huge issue if its well advertised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had to pop into work this morning, even at the height of summer I have never seen so many families out on bikes, teenagers on bikes, it was great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My parents live on a beach in the middle of nowhere down near the Burren, there were so many kids and families on bikes down there yesterday thet were piled up like outside a dutch train station, waiting for pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I must be very lucky!

I called my local shop, (edit - Last Monday) they had next to no stock left (bar some very pricey options and 1 in my size and my budget), but he had just gotten in a full carbon Focus bike with a Shimano 105 gear-set, for €500.
    I had to wait awhile because the bike had just arrived in as part of a trade/upgrade so he needed to service it.

Needless to say I'm delighted and very fast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Didn't Australia have the same issue as well? Couldn't get bikes.

Took up cycling a few months ago and really enjoying it. Saving so much instead of using the car or the bus. Now, I'd take the bike out first before anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have one bike too many now. i have a bike that was mainly used for commuting but that hasn't been used since the end of january.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭dahat

i have one bike too many now. i have a bike that was mainly used for commuting but that hasn't been used since the end of january.

One too many? Huh?

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying cycling so much now that I'm looking at other bikes. Is this a thing? Will I eventually end up with a collection of bikes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have five (down from six, i sold one a few months back).
    summer bike (no mudguards, and it'd be a crime to put them on it)
    winter bike
    commuter bike
    cheapo single speed for trips to the shops
    criminally underused mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Definitely - I've got:

A summer bike
    A winter bike (until last week this was my summer bike - so not cheap by any means)
    A Brompton - I go everywhere on this
    Another road bike that I intended to commute on but I just find the Brompton too convenient around town so now this is permanently on my turbo trainer

I have older or cheaper road bikes in my parents' and in laws' too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm enjoying cycling so much now that I'm looking at other bikes. Is this a thing? Will I eventually end up with a collection of bikes?

You've only ONE bike?
    I've got 3 bikes, 1 spare frame, 3 spare wheel sets..and as for cycling kit? Let's not go there! :)

Did anyone see the cycling piece on the news? Got a chuckle from the couple who were definite bandwagon jumpers and that queue at cycling superstore :eek:

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You've only ONE bike?
    I've got 3 bikes...
    How can you get by with just 3? I've got 6 and I don't think it's enough.

If 2 are off the road I start to get worried as it means I'm down to my last 4. :eek:

Definitely - I've got:

A summer bike
    A winter bike (until last week this was my summer bike - so not cheap by any means)
    A Brompton - I go everywhere on this
    Another road bike that I intended to commute on but I just find the Brompton too convenient around town so now this is permanently on my turbo trainer

I have older or cheaper road bikes in my parents' and in laws' too

Is the Brompton a folding bike? I was looking at a folding bike and interested in getting one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1 x BMX
    1 x Commuter / CX
    1 x Racer
    1 x Track

I need 2 MTBs and a rugged single speed, then I am done, maybe a TT bike if I retire but there is no fun to be had on them, it would be solely for compettive reasons.

i have five (down from six, i sold one a few months back).
    summer bike (no mudguards, and it'd be a crime to put them on it)
    winter bike
    commuter bike
    cheapo single speed for trips to the shops
    criminally underused mountain bike.
    FWIW, this is the one i'd keep if you put a gun to my head. i needed to put panniers on a bike, bought one with that in mind and then realised after i bought it that the pannier mount points were directly behind the rear brake caliper. so i turned a bike i'd not intended to be a commuter, into a commuter.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    ...I need 2 MTBs and a rugged single speed, then I am done....
    Good God no - what about summer and winter road bikes, a back-up commuter and an audax/touring/long hauler?

Advertisement