Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yikes, no bikes!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

One place I know that tinkers with the RRP frequently is CSS. As it's their own business they can do whatever they want, no law being broken, and no possibility of any legal issues arising.

It is kinda poor customer service and a bit 'dicky' however, but again, that's not going to lead to any legal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

FWIW, this is the one i'd keep if you put a gun to my head. i needed to put panniers on a bike, bought one with that in mind and then realised after i bought it that the pannier mount points were directly behind the rear brake caliper. so i turned a bike i'd not intended to be a commuter, into a commuter.

I know this is late and off topic, but you can fit a rack to this bike. I had that problem on a bike as well (Genesis Equilibrium). You can fit a rack to the bike using a p-clip. Worked for me on LEL 2017 (1400km)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have a photo of how you did it?
    what made me lazy possibly is that i own both a disc and non-disc equilibrium. and it was easy to fit to the disc one.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

you have a photo of how you did it?
    what made me lazy possibly is that i own both a disc and non-disc equilibrium. and it was easy to fit to the disc one.

I cant do a picture, I took the rack off since I'm not commuting. But this is what you're looking for:
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Tortec/P-CLIPS/5IYN
    That goes around the chain-stay just above the bolt and the rack connects to it. Putting it just above the bolt on the chain-stay means it cant slip.

I had the rack on a Genesis Flyer (same frame as Equilibrium) and commuted for 2 years without any problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha, so you're essentially creating your own mounts rather than trying to jerry rig the ones already there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you want the bike at RRP and they are jumping the price, just say it. If it was me I would, they are not exactly quick sellers, they will either take it or loose it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

More to do with good weather, people with more time on their hands, and parents trying to occupy/entertain children than anything to do with infrastructure I'd say.

I see a lot of mums and dads showing their young ones to cross the road safely and then enjoy the traffic free roads in the park. In that scenario I'm sure it's the lack of traffic. I also know plenty of grown men that think they have an 80% chance of getting knocked down if they cycle on a road with cars

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I see a lot of mums and dads showing their young ones to cross the road safely and then enjoy the traffic free roads in the park. In that scenario I'm sure it's the lack of traffic...
    Possibly but, if the weather was shite for the past two months, and if both parents were at work, but there was lstill ess traffic, would those parents have time to be in a park in the pissing rain showing their children how to cross the road safely?

(BTW - why would parents be showing their children how to cross the road safely when there is no traffic? Surely they should choose a very busy road instead for greater effect?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can't get to the park without cycling on the roads... With traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I see a lot of mums and dads showing their young ones to cross the road safely and then enjoy the traffic free roads in the park. In that scenario I'm sure it's the lack of traffic. I also know plenty of grown men that think they have an 80% chance of getting knocked down if they cycle on a road with cars
    Unfortunately the traffic regularly doesn't stop at traffic lights on our route to school so it's impossible to teach them to cross on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Unfortunately the traffic regularly doesn't stop at traffic lights on our route to school so it's impossible to teach them to cross on their own.

Same here, cars routinely run the lights outside the school long after they turn red. During heavy traffic they will even drive onto the crossing and the light changes. Some people are morons or scum, hard to know which.

i was in humphries earlier and overheard derek saying to another customer 'for every man's bike we're selling, we're selling 20 women's bikes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here, cars routinely run the lights outside the school long after they turn red. During heavy traffic they will even drive onto the crossing and the light changes. Some people are morons or scum, hard to know which.
    Car blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

In fairness to Fat Bloke,you did say very top end in youre post about the bike you wanted to buy.I'd consider €10,000 to be the starting figure for a topend bike.Plenty of normal working people spend €5,000 easy on a bike,so when you mentioned topend, €10,000 came into my mind as well as Fat Bloke's.

I was being sarcastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Any decent shops with Bikes still in stock around Dublin ?
    Been trying to get my hands on a bike under the bike to works scheme and every where seems to be out of stock ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's "a bike"?

While there's a shortage of affordable sub 700 euro city and mountain bikes, I very much doubt that's the case as you up the price ladder. If you're looking for a road bike and using your full btw allowance and more then I'd say any of the big stores will have no problem supplying you with a choice of bikes.

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's "a bike"?

While there's a shortage of affordable sub 700 euro city and mountain bikes, I very much doubt that's the case as you up the price ladder. If you're looking for a road bike and using your full btw allowance and more then I'd say any of the big stores will have no problem supplying you with a choice of bikes.

I'm looking for a road bike for about 700 to a grand and there seems to be nothing about ,

Ah right.
    I'm dead wrong so! :)

That's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My LBS said they'll have some bikes in July, but it will probably be September before they have a decent stock in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm looking for a road bike for about 700 to a grand and there seems to be nothing about ,

It must be only the btw bikes that the demand is, I didn't even get phone call on ad i put in Done deal, the bike is as new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A friend put one up a couple of weeks ago, a couple of years old but good knick and was sold and collected the same day.

wrangler wrote: »
    It must be only the btw bikes that the demand is, I didn't even get phone call on ad i put in Done deal, the bike is as new.

What's the ad? We'll pick it apart like vultures and tell you all the mistakes you made! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Hurrache wrote: »
    A friend put one up a couple of weeks ago, a couple of years old but good knick and was sold and collected the same day.

Must be priced too dear, had surgery three months after buying, can't ride it now.
    cost 1100

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-contend-sl/25052986

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dump the reflector, and if that marking on the bar tape isnt cleanable then put new tape on it. For €12 itll look a lot more attractive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

360 cycles had a load of bike boxes in their window today. Now might be empty, but never seen so many.

Must be priced too dear, had surgery three months after buying, can't ride it now.
    cost 1100
    if someone is buying on BTW, on the upper tax bracket, they'll get an €1100 bike for €600, from a shop and not a S/H private sale. that's what you're competing with.

cost 1100

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-contend-sl/25052986

Nice looking bike but yeah, as you say, someone going in with a btw voucher will get 500 quid off the new price of 1100, so they're getting a brand new version of yours for around 600 euro. Which obviously makes yours look expensive. Also, 2 year old bikes at any price are unlikely to retain 70% of their new RRP value.

Then again, these bikes are out of stock everywhere and yours is particularly clean.

If the ad has only been up for 1 day as donedeal says then by all means have a bit more patience. At the end of the day, everything sells at the right price.

just back from decathlon (my wife needed horsey stuff). they're well stocked with bikes, can see them being the death of some nearby LBSes.
    i picked up a pair of shimano pedals; flat one side, SPDs the other (which i just amusingly saw smacl describe as 'the worst of both worlds' in a different thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i picked up a pair of shimano pedals; flat one side, SPDs the other (which i just amusingly saw smacl describe as 'the worst of both worlds' in a different thread)

I ride them, they're grand.

• Advertisement

just back from decathlon (my wife needed horsey stuff). they're well stocked with bikes, can see them being the death of some nearby LBSes.

What was the que like?

Advertisement