Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What did people make of the Bertie episode?

Bertie sounds very smug and satisfied with himself these days and Dunphy didn't do much to ruffle his feathers really, but it was nonetheless an interesting 40 mins or so imho.

Not bad going for a podcast with no apparent sponsorship or advertising :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Acosta

Cartman78 wrote: »

Not bad going for a podcast with no apparent sponsorship or advertising :)

I have wondered, who pays the wages?

It's a good show though. The Paul Kimmage interview this week was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dunphy is a renaissance man.

Dunphy sense of humor will always elevate him among the rest of his contemporaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Brilliant ending to the football podcast today. Classic Eamon V John argument.

• Advertisement

Paddy Agnew on with Dunphy to discuss Italian elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

There is a lot of repetition. Mick Clifford to discuss the Maurice McCabe trial. And Nicola Tallant to discuss the Kinahan / Hutch feud. Both very good journalists, and interesting topics, but there is little additional to report each time they are on, It's still well worth a listen.

There is a lot of repetition. Mick Clifford to discuss the Maurice McCabe trial. And Nicola Tallant to discuss the Kinahan / Hutch feud. Both very good journalists, and interesting topics, but there is little additional to report each time they are on, It's still well worth a listen.

The Nicola Tallant interviews are giving me deja vu alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I still can't figure out the point of the podcast. It's well produced, it has good guests, but nobody is on the shill anything (apart from the paper they work for) and there is no sponsor or ads. Is it just a (very enjoyable) hobby for Eamon?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have to agree with this, I've skipped through some of these pods as they go over the same old ground a lot, particularly the Maurice McCabe pods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There is undoubtedly repetition with Mick Clifford and Nicola Tallant but it doesn't bother me I have to say.

I don't really consume a lot of other Irish current affairs media, so this podcast is actually my main source for the Maurice McCabe and the Dublin feud stories.

The recent one with Tallant about the boxing-crime links was quite good imho - I didn't know all the ins and outs and had only seen a few snidey tweets from Paddy Barnes.

Also liked how Dunphy mentioned that he bought and read an obscure book on the gangland situation just so he could have something to talk to Nicola about :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

dulpit wrote: »
    I still can't figure out the point of the podcast. It's well produced, it has good guests, but nobody is on the shill anything (apart from the paper they work for) and there is no sponsor or ads. Is it just a (very enjoyable) hobby for Eamon?

seems to be. so i say fair play to him. he's a crank with a predominantly negative outlook (like myself) but you need your dunphys and vincent browns to counter the kool aid circle jerk you encounter elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

dulpit wrote: »

Unless he’s doing it to keep his hand in the game and possibly get back into mainstream journalism. He’d possibly be a fit for Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Niall Stanage on again in the most recent one.He seems competent enough but Eamon tried to turn the matter of Stormy Daniels back to Clinton's misdeeds (Stanage rightly pointed out that there are multiple serious allegations from women against Trump as well).The anti-establishment persona that Eamon constructs for himself can be a little jarring at times.

He also had Jim "soft landing" Power on as well-I had no idea he was back in circulation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I enjoyed the interview with Gordan D'arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Twice now, on the Stand and on RTE a few moments ago Dunphy has twice said that Guardiola has worked well with young players and included Fernandinho in the list. He's 32...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I enjoyed the interview with Gordan D'arcy

I'm not a rugby fan (know zero about the game) but enjoyed it also

I've no interest in Trump, very little in McCabe and Kinnehan's but really enjoy the pods where it's just Dunphy interviewing someone be it a sports star or otherwise

I am really enjoying this podcast.

Sounds like a labour love.

Cormac Lucey podcast was excellent if a bit depressing.

Even the fact that they can make jokes about Denis O'Brien means it is more relevant than anything on Matt Cooper or Ivan Yates slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Anyone hear Giles’ Gabriel Jesus pronunciation?

Calls him “Yazoo” .... me neither...

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Anyone hear Giles’ Gabriel Jesus pronunciation?

Calls him “Yazoo” .... me neither...

Was annoyed with Johnny using the a bit Irish phrase on off the ball. Meaning something stupid

• Advertisement

The most recent podcast with mick Clifford is excellent.

Again another excellent mick Clifford update.

Listened to about ten minutes of the bp fallon episode. Don’t like the guy-he’s full of sh1t who dines out on the same boring stories for donkeys years at this stage-so didn’t bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The BP episode was a bet Meh, but interesting mix of guests is good.

Does anyone have any insight into why Dunphy doesn't attempt to monetise this in some way? Surely he'd be able to source advertising and/or sponsors?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Another excellent episode with Mick Clifford in the past few days. He boils down the craziness of the current ongoing tribunals and puts the important facts under the spotlight.

I really can not stand Dunphy's punditry and some of his clownish behaviour in general, but his Pod is fast becoming essential listening.

I'll still skip the BP Fallon one though. Who needs to listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,739 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for warning me about BP Fallon being on, total windbag and talentless tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭franglan

Have to say the same re any monetary incentive for Dunphy doing these. Is squarespace not still advertising on every podcast in the world!! I do really enjoy the view from Washington updates - yes it's essentially the same podcast every week - but that's how I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

franglan wrote: »
    Have to say the same re any monetary incentive for Dunphy doing these. Is squarespace not still advertising on every podcast in the world!! I do really enjoy the view from Washington updates - yes it's essentially the same podcast every week - but that's how I like it!

I'd say Dunphy is thinking patreon in the medium to long term. To be frank I'd throw him a fiver a month to keep it going

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

The end of his podcast with John Waters was amazing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

John Waters goes full Waters. Dunphy was being more than reasonable to him all the way through.
    Waters can't even get on with someone who agrees with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Tristian Odd Neurology

That was epic

Advertisement