Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Fantastic interview today with Richard Dunne, plenty of funny moments.

Yeah, really good interview. Dunne seems like a down to earth guy.

That Sven story, "every day is ladie's day", was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Found this week's discussion with John Giles thoroughly entertaining and hilarious. Giles was full of disdain for the "social medias" and "haircuts."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Giles calling Harry Kane a “simple lad”.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I liked the two parter with Giles, even though I'd heard a fair amount of it before, was interesting to hear a bit more about his time at Shamrock Rovers and that people thought he was only doing it to line his own pockets and there was a bit of hatred towards him here at that time.

Dunphy getting irritated by the confusion about how Charlton got the job was funny, what you see is what you get with him, there is no falseness to him, that's to be admired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Did anyone listen to the recent episode with Mario Rosenstock? Eamon kept going back to Mario being a ladies' man and stuff like that, was quite off-putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

dulpit wrote: »
    Did anyone listen to the recent episode with Mario Rosenstock? Eamon kept going back to Mario being a ladies' man and stuff like that, was quite off-putting.

Listened to it today.
    Eamo was a bit all over the shop... He got things mixed up, his research on Rosenstock wasn't great, and yes he kept going back to Mario being a ladies' man... But yet I still enjoyed the interview...
    I find Mario an interesting and very intelligent guy but I don't think I enjoyed it just because he was on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Strange interview, got the impression that Dunphy had either heard he had a reputation or else seen it for himself first hand... very little depth to the interview at all really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

He came back to it a few times alright. Maybe there's something there he wanted to draw out.

Oliver Callan was on the stand recently enough so I was half expecting Dunphy to raise that rivalry.

I did like the Roy and Jose stories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jesus, that was an absolutely shocking piece of propaganda with Fr. Peter McVerry in today's podcast. Completely one-sided and, in my opinion, ignorant of the current zeitgeist. Dunphy saying that media commentators aren't sympathetic to the homeless crisis? Saying there are is no left-wing politicians? The icing on the cake was labeling people who aren't concerned with the crisis as Trump supporters! I have a lot of sympathy with some of the homeless, and I realise there is a crisis in this country, but when Dunphy used Margaret Cash as his example, it made me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Propaganda! This man has worked with and helped homeless people for a long long time. I think he knows what he is talking about!

• Advertisement

Propaganda! This man has worked with and helped homeless people for a long long time. I think he knows what he is talking about!
    Did you listen to the piece, or just offer a knee-jerk response to my comment? I agree 100% that he knows what he is talking about, homelessness is an issue, of that I have no doubt. The issue is using Margaret Cash as the anecdotal evidence, without questioning a single one of her motives. Using a piece of evidence in this manner, to forward a one-sided view of an issue, is propaganda in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Have to say that I enjoy these podcasts more than I thought I would. I thought the INM hacking was very interesting though the person implicated (not sure if I can name him given his love of litigation) will probably get away with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Still an excellent podcast. The Trump coverage in particular is some of the best out there imo. No hysterics and Niall Stanage and Eamo work well together.

Delighted he got Tesco as a sponsor now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Got a chuckle out of Eamo saying he had Wes stashed in his attic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He nearly crawled up inside Ewan McKenna.

Patww79 wrote: »

Interesting conversation though, worth a listen.

He (Dunphy) has a few ticks, he is usually very deferential to his guests and has a tendency to go back over story again and again, even if it's a regular topic (eg the INM story with Mick Clifford). It's a very good podcast all the same..

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ha, even though I agree with a lot of what Ewan MacKenna had to say, I appreciate that it was a very one-sided conversation. I think Dunphy needs to be a bit more impartial with his guests, and offer another viewpoint - maybe bring on another guest to counter the argument(s). I would agree with the others though, that it is a great, independent podcast. Much better than listening to the likes of Matt Cooper on The Last Word anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Interesting conversation though, worth a listen.

He (Dunphy) has a few ticks, he is usually very deferential to his guests and has a tendency to go back over story again and again, even if it's a regular topic (eg the INM story with Mick Clifford). It's a very good podcast all the same..

I really like the way he makes it look like he has inside of knowledge of very public events/people

"So Richard (Dunne), let me tell you, under Brian Kerr you became European Champions"

"There once was a player, Maradona was his name...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I said it before and I'll say it again, really enjoying these podcasts.

Although, I felt the recent one discussing Syria was bizarre. Apparently Syria created ISIS and Russia/Iran enjoy blowing up hospitals and civilians for a laugh. I'll have to admit I know very little about the whole affair (like most people, whether they like to admit it or not), but the whole thing came across as agenda driven with plenty of references to "the regime".

Eamon let Ronan Tynan dodge a lot of questions and didn't pull hum up on the fact he made a film about the Syrian war but in Turkey! Possibly not the best location to do so.

Having said that I listened to the whole interview to see where it went.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anyone finding that new episodes aren't popping up on the site?

For example- I clicked a link that sent me to the latest Nicola Talent chat which worked fine. But when I go to the site itself on my browser the most recent upload is Episode 229 (football from last week).

I'm not a subscriber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

humberklog wrote: »
    Anyone finding that new episodes aren't popping up on the site?

For example- I clicked a link that sent me to the latest Nicola Talent chat which worked fine. But when I go to the site itself on my browser the most recent upload is Episode 229 (football from last week).

I'm not a subscriber.

Yup same here

Podcast Addict app on Android has all the latest episodes for me

Podcast Addict app on Android has all the latest episodes for me

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The last Nicola Tallant podcast was virtually a repeat of the previous ones. It would be a criticism of Eamon that he tends to just cover the same ground over and over. For example Pogba in the football pods. If you're listening to the podcast regularly it can get pretty tedious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There is a lot of repetition alright. I also skip the Trump episodes as I have zero interest.

By and large it is a very good podcast though.

Yeah a lot of repetition from regular guests but it's very good at getting into more complex issues and explaining them well such the INM thingy and the Charleton tribunal.

Thought the podcast on Denis O'Brien this week was excellent, got an education on the journalism landscape in Ireland.

Has anyone listened to Episode #250 with Johnny Sexton? Worth a listen?

I thought so. You don't often hear Sexton give interviews...

The episode with Brady & Giles disecting the Irish result against Wales was pretty brutal for MON Keano, and you'd struggle to disagree with anything they said...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I thought so. You don't often hear Sexton give interviews...

The episode with Brady & Giles disecting the Irish result against Wales was pretty brutal for MON Keano, and you'd struggle to disagree with anything they said...
    Yeah very true on the Ireland game, I really think MON would be under much more pressure to leave if the nations league was on RTE. Most people werent bothered to watch because they dont have Sky and we're playing bad so theres no incentive to go to the pub to watch. 
    There seems to be a lot of people saying we dont have the players and letting MON off the hook a bit but havent seen the last few games where we look to have no game plan or organisation

Advertisement