Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Casefile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Belango was one of the most disturbing cases in my in opinion. Up there with The Toy Box and the Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs (case 92). Which ones are the Golden State Killer? I had a look but couldn’t see it.

Think the shows were called East Area Rapist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Belango was one of the most disturbing cases in my in opinion. Up there with The Toy Box and the Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs (case 92). Which ones are the Golden State Killer? I had a look but couldn’t see it.

East Area Rapist, yeah. There's a few parts. Excellent job on that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Don't think they needed to do 5 episodes on it though, it got a bit relentless by the end. Though his follow up when they announced the caught they bloke was brilliant.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Don't think they needed to do 5 episodes on it though, it got a bit relentless by the end. Though his follow up when they announced the caught they bloke was brilliant.

If sort of worked at the time for me somehow (was sort of hypnotic going through all the attacks) although I wouldn't listen to it again and with the whole show becoming not as effective as it used to be in general if they released it now I might hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Thanks. I downloaded them last week but skipped over it temporarily as I wanted a break from the rapist/serial killers episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Couldn’t get into today’s episode at all, turned off after five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

pc7 wrote: »

What!!! I was the same but googled it, then relistened to it and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Same here. I think I lasted about 10 mins.
    Hope it's not a sign of the way this podcast will be going from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I just finished and thought it was great. Very different than usual.

Thought it was excellent and a nice change from some of the regular stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

I had heard of todays one before. It doesn't shock me unless its in an era that's tangible to me.

Sure weren't they all rapers and murderers back then anyway. The world was a lawless kip until the TV was invented ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I thought The Batavia episode was brilliant.
    Never heard of it before.
    As others have said a nice change.

The current series on Dennis Nilsen is absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

The current series on Dennis Nilsen is absolutely fantastic.

Agree. Horrendous case. Hate the fact we have to wait another week though:(

Agree. Horrendous case. Hate the fact we have to wait another week though:(

Haha yeah, I'm a Patreon supporter so I've already had the last episode! Really really well written series. Casefile at its best!

last couple have been grim grim cases.

not sure if grim stands up just on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Latest 3 parter is an epic return to form.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jim Root wrote: »
    Latest 3 parter is an epic return to form.

It’s bonkers, I didn’t know the case, have a vague memory of the sewer part but not the extent of it.

It’s bonkers, I didn’t know the case, have a vague memory of the sewer part but not the extent of it.

I remember his court case all over the papers, I was only 10 or 11 but remember it well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Dennis Nilsen series has been the best thing they've done in ages - they were danger of becoming a bit boring there for a while - but if you're already familiar with the case it doesn't give much more new information or stuff you haven't heard before. But I'm sure for 95% of listeners it's a fresh case: not everybody has read about in Wikipedia.

It is fcking mad though. The human sludge clogging the drainpipe - ugggh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Arghus wrote: »
    The Dennis Nilsen series has been the best thing they've done in ages - they were danger of becoming a bit boring there for a while - but if you're already familiar with the case it doesn't give much more new information or stuff you haven't heard before. But I'm sure for 95% of listeners it's a fresh case: not everybody has read about in Wikipedia.

It is fcking mad though. The human sludge clogging the drainpipe - ugggh.

I had never heard of the case. I was listening to the first episode while out on a run and it literally stopped me in my tracks. The gruesome detail was overwhelmingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Did anybody else listen to episode 143: Leigh Leigh? My god it was a tough listen in parts.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Did anybody else listen to episode 143: Leigh Leigh? My god it was a tough listen in parts.

It was so depressingly horrendous:(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Jim Root wrote: »
    I had never heard of the case. I was listening to the first episode while out on a run and it literally stopped me in my tracks. The gruesome detail was overwhelmingly.

Serial killers did a podcast on this guy too. It's also being made into a show, I think David Tennant is playing the part.

McGrath5 wrote: »

Dreadful case, that. Very hard to listen to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

They walk among us just finished a 4 part on Michael Barrymore. Mental mental stuff.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    They walk among us just finished a 4 part on Michael Barrymore. Mental mental stuff.

I was only looking at that in my podcast app earlier. Will definitely take a listen. That's another great true crime podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hey guys. Listening to this one for the last year or so. Have to say it was once my favourite podcast. Has anyone found that the recent episodes just aren’t as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was only looking at that in my podcast app earlier. Will definitely take a listen. That's another great true crime podcast.

I think They Walk Amongst Us is in a class of its own at the moment. I've been banging that drum for a while now, it's seriously underrated compared to other shows with far more listeners.

I'm always looking for something along the same lines, but I've yet to find it. Ultra dry and straight to the facts with no bullshyte. Our own Mens Rea is probably the closest, but TWAU is a bit slicker and is once a week, rather than a fortnight. Not slagging Mens Rea - it's a great show in it's own right.

Casefile is still pretty great overall. The Denis Nilsen three parter was a return to form, but, yes, the quality of individual episodes was higher back at the start. Every case seemed to have some crazy twist or turn in it - a lot of the stuff in the last years has been pretty meat and potatoes

• Advertisement

This entire case is utterly horrendous. Barrymore knows too well who raped that guy to death. Strong possibility he is one of the perpatrators too

Advertisement