Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

sure weren't SF left with egg on their faces when they complained about a delegation from Waterford city council travelling to an event in order to get the tall ships event to return back to Waterford!!!

best thing to happen Waterford in decades and they tried to get cheap headlines out of it!!

Yeah, agree with that in fairness. Sending a couple of people to try get tall ships back may be worthwhile as there is a clear link/objective. I think we all agree the conferences and training days they have are a joke. I still have an issue with Mary Roches USA trip, (and mary O hallorans + husband), there was no clear goal.

I realise one person can do a lot, egs: Nicky Fewer - Tall Ships, Lady in Drogheda - PayPal but these are exceptional people and i think shaking hands of some CEOs of companies that we have here is not worthwhile/unlikely to get benefits. If it turned out that one of those companies was deciding whether to locate here or UK, then I would possibly agree sending over a rep with IDA might be a good idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Max Powers wrote: »
    Yeah, agree with that in fairness. Sending a couple of people to try get tall ships back may be worthwhile as there is a clear link/objective. I think we all agree the conferences and training days they have are a joke. I still have an issue with Mary Roches USA trip, (and mary O hallorans + husband), there was no clear goal.

I realise one person can do a lot, egs: Nicky Fewer - Tall Ships, Lady in Drogheda - PayPal but these are exceptional people and i think shaking hands of some CEOs of companies that we have here is not worthwhile/unlikely to get benefits. If it turned out that one of those companies was deciding whether to locate here or UK, then I would possibly agree sending over a rep with IDA might be a good idea.

Sometimes its just better to meet people in person,

Sure you can send e-mails or make a phone call but there's nothing like meeting a person face to face in the same room to make a connection.

This is case for handing in cv's for jobs, job interviews and the likes so why are people so against TD's meeting company CEO's face to face? :)

Yes it costs money, but sometimes it can pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Meatwad wrote: »
    The main problem with the protesters is their inability to understand that just because they believe something is right, it doesn't give them the power to force other people to adhere to their belief systems.

Turn that way of thinking around, also. Just because some people think abortion is right doesn't mean everyone should say so. Abortion may or not ultimately be illegal in this country, either way, there are people that will agree with both side, that will not just go away. You have to campaign for what YOU personally believe. They are doing that, as you will if it comes to it.
    Am Chile wrote: »
    I agree people are entitled to have opinions and campaign on issues-but I think there is a fine line between campaigning and harassing people as they try to go about their business out in the street like the harassment john halligan faced from the pro life campaigners in tramore this past sunday-and the putting leaflets through his letterbox past 12 in the night- what do they hope to gain from it?

To quote yourself;
    Am Chile wrote: »
    Some people it seems have a problem with anyone who dares to air a dissenting view-protests arent unique to waterford-enda kenny was met with a large number of protesters in galway a good while ago protesting over turf cutting restrictions and protests in donegal when he went there and phil hogan met by protesters in wicklow-different groups have a gripe with the government over different issues-

TDs are there to listen. That TD actually refused to see them in his office, and refused any appointments relating to the matter. What else were they to do? Everyone has to have their say, politicians are there for everyone. Not just for you. Demanding answers and 'harassing' are too different things. Society has sensitivity issues if that constitutes are harassment now. He is a TD, and while I do not agree with disrupting his personal life, in the state Ireland is in now on any issue, why should they get an easy ride? You said yourself a lot of people have issues with the government, please do not pick and choose which ones are ok to suit yourself.

I don't know what they want to achieve by doing all that, and I am not saying I agree with the methods, but the truth of this is you would probably still give out if they didn't say boo to anyone. When they are on the street, they don't. I have been harassed more by the likes of concern/other outspoken charity collectors than I have by a few old people sitting at a table. I say fair play to them for having the guts to go out onto a busy street at that age and stand for what they believe. If it was any other subject, you would all be saying the same. I don't think it is fair to say they only come out and hide at night, when you are also giving out about them 'harassing' people in broad daylight on the street. It is either one or the other.

No matter what the subject, people in this country have a lot of issues right now, and staying silent won't do a thing. More power to the people that want to speak out about something they don't like, we are too quiet a nation as it is. Nothing will ever get done if everyone is told to shut up because not everyone agrees.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Chiparus wrote: »
    Should the above post be moved to the politics super thread mods?

Please use report post in the future or send a PM. I'm happy to leave the post there.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sometimes its just better to meet people in person,

Sure you can send e-mails or make a phone call but there's nothing like meeting a person face to face in the same room to make a connection.

This is case for handing in cv's for jobs, job interviews and the likes so why are people so against TD's meeting company CEO's face to face? :)

Yes it costs money, but sometimes it can pay off.

Sometimes......i would change that to exceptional/rare circumstances. As far as I can remember, Mary Roches rationale for going to US was to say: 'anything we can do, pick up the phone/let us know'. I would appreciate that if i was the CEO of a big company but a phone call to the office would suffice plenty. Its careless to go travelling anywhere in hope of something happening. You have to target specific things, that is when face to face helps.

• Advertisement

im really surprised that the Munster or N&S havent pushed accountability of our reps more. Are they afraid of upsetting them, in case they need planning permission or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

andthen didnt yer pro life chap head up to halligans private home on a midnight call and shove a load of pro life flyers through the door , creepy kunt..........

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

The local print and broadcast media are clearly unwilling to rock the boat to much with our reps, WCC in its various forms are big customers of WLR ,News and Star so im guessing that is the reason.

Personnally I would like to see all our local councillors asked a series of fairly basic questions like

Are you the director of a company (s) ?

How many conferences did you attend last year ?

Anyway stuff like that Im sure people get the idea, what you will find is that some of our councillors are making a nice living out of politics and we might get some surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Max Powers wrote: »
    If it turned out that one of those companies was deciding whether to locate here or UK, then I would possibly agree sending over a rep with IDA might be a good idea.

Jasus Max you better give the IDA your number so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Sully wrote: »
    Some of the posters are graphic and they are positioned in as many places as possible. The saying "Wont someone think of the children?" comes to mind.

I'm all for letting people express their views, but within reason.

It would have been nice if that had been the Catholic Churchs motto when all the abuse was happening maybe the cover up would not have happened afterall. Life begins in the womb they believe and we should all have the greatest respect for the unborn so what happens when children start growing up and become cute looking to some of these people.
    To me that was a greater crime than abortion including the cover up by those who believe they have a right to preach to us about morals. Many years ago I used to go into a box to confess all my evil doings to a man of God as I thought but it turned this fellow was a pervert and here I was woryring about going to hell for cursing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Not all pro life people are basing it on relligion they could just be viewing it as a life you dont have to be Catholic to view an unborn baby as a life jasus the pro lifers have every right to protest if you dont agree with them dont join them simple its their views and they have a right to voice them, oh i actually agree with abortion but i understand if you are against it why you would be so pationate about it i dont agree with them but i wont give them abuse for protesting

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Jasus Max you better give the IDA your number so!:D

Thats a good one:D, you know what i mean (just to clarify, im not looking to be asked myself, it would be nice though)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Not all pro life people are basing it on relligion they could just be viewing it as a life you dont have to be Catholic to view an unborn baby as a life jasus the pro lifers have every right to protest if you dont agree with them dont join them simple its their views and they have a right to voice them, oh i actually agree with abortion but i understand if you are against it why you would be so pationate about it i dont agree with them but i wont give them abuse for protesting

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Cabaal wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree but there's a difference big between protesting and protesting by imitating people and spreading fear and lies.

People should be under no illusions when it comes to the so called pro life crowd, they are very well funded from the USA and they take no prisoners to get what they want.

Where's your evidence that they are well funded from the USA? If you have no proof, you yourself can be accused of same things you accuse the pro life crowd of.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Where's your evidence that they are well funded from the USA? If you have no proof, you yourself can be accused of same things you accuse the pro life crowd of.
    Well theyre hiding something about their funding
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/anti-abortion-groups-ignored-political-watchdog-queries-1.1316629

http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/01/why-american-pro-life-dollars-are-pouring-into-ireland/266981/

Plus have you ever looked at their rallies? Massive bilboards, thousands of professionally printed leaflets (theres never any hand made ones), buses hired to get people there, professional equipment for screens & speakers. Its not cheap and id love to know how they afford it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Chinpool wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/anti-abortion-groups-ignored-political-watchdog-queries-1.1316629

http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/01/why-american-pro-life-dollars-are-pouring-into-ireland/266981/

Plus have you ever looked at their rallies? Massive bilboards, thousands of professionally printed leaflets (theres never any hand made ones), buses hired to get people there, professional equipment for screens & speakers. Its not cheap and id love to know how they afford it

Funny that you ignore the funding of pro choice groups coming in from the US, which happens to massively exceed what pro life groups may get. US billionaire Chuck Feeney has funded the Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) to the tune of some $7.7 million. link. The name ICCL sounds like a government quango but its actually just a NGO pressure group which spends a great deal of time pushing the pro choice cause.

Look at the end of the day overseas investment is celebrated when its from multinationals taking advantage of tax loop holes. If money is given for investment in Ireland, museums or charities overseas more power to them. This kind of funding is just a continuation of that. Do the people implying it to be suspicious refuse in work in American multinationals or refuse to donate to third world charities. Anyway the vast majority of their funding is Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

are they still there on a daily basis? I must get in and meet them for a chat someday Im bored

Chinpool wrote: »

If they don't want to cooperate with a government funded quango fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

They were set up on the prom in Tramore this afternoon. two older men and one middle aged man looking for signatures to support pro life stance, realy what has it got to do with them? they couldnt answer me as to who was going to look after and financially support all these children that abortion was never an option for as they are just crumpledy misinformed old men!

They were talking about the unemployment problem in the SE this morning on Newstalk with some (ex GAA) Liam Griffin (Hotelier). Good to hear the issue getting media coverage, this came on the back of Varadker saying how great they are doing on the unemployment progress over the weekend. In fairness, to Griffin, he highlighted a few of the issues, he failed to highlight the IDA office/support issue, University etc. He did say we have been forgotten about and mentioned about Rosslare port not being supported. Cant blame him for mentioning that, he is from Wexford so that would close to home for him.

We need to keep it in the front of their minds, now that they have announced 75 jobs in KK (Glanbia) and 200 in Nypro, they probably think we are all happy days down here.

• Advertisement

blankAs wrote: »
    They were set up on the prom in Tramore this afternoon. two older men and one middle aged man looking for signatures to support pro life stance, realy what has it got to do with them? they couldnt answer me as to who was going to look after and financially support all these children that abortion was never an option for as they are just crumpledy misinformed old men!

So because they are men and two were old men at that, they are misinformed and shouldn't have an opinion on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Are you sitting down cos what I'm about to say may both shock and amaze you....
    ...absolutely everybody......both women AND men... started off as the unborn

No offence I just don't understand this idea that men have no say whatsoever and I'd be more or less pro choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I do not see what the problem is. They have the right to protest as do the pro choice crowd. There is often pro choice protests and they have been allowed protest witout any prejudice from the authorites. I have witnessed them often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

It has plenty to do with them.We are living in a democracy and they are entitled to protest against something that they believe is intrinsically evil. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. They are entitled to do whatever they want as long as it is legal. It is amazing that the liberal principles of freedom of speech and right of assembly and protest are all hunky dory until someone that disagrees with the same liberals cosy censensus on a certain issue comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I find it a bit annoying that along with the tech uni fiasco, the boundaries decision is out today also where one journalist mentioned Waterford as one of the biggest losers. The cynic in me would suggest some attempt at suave media management.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote: »
    I find it a bit annoying that along with the tech uni fiasco, the boundaries decision is out today also where one journalist mentioned Waterford as one of the biggest losers. The cynic in me would suggest some attempt at suave media management.

By the Waterford Forum Mods?!? Christ, the last person I expected to go down the conspiracy route was yourself!

Seriously Trotter, this is big news for Waterford - even if our application was rejected, it would need its own thread. The thread is full of negative press so we are doing an awful job. Its debatable if the news is positive. The government are being slammed in the thread. So technically, on the conspiracy theory, it should be shoved into the mega thread.

I think we would all agree, big threads (positive or negative) need to be on their own. Its not sensible to be in a megathread. The smaller ones are put into a megathread. This is to avoid the political infighting, bait biting and all around political remarks in most threads. Both threads will be heavily moderated and not by me. Not even the slightest moderation - I won't be anywhere near it with my mod hat. Its a temporary measure, and not even proposed by me - the biggest political nerd out of the mods.

Not everything is a conspiracy or out to get Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

By the Waterford Forum Mods?!? Christ, the last person I expected to go down the conspiracy route was yourself!

Seriously Trotter, this is big news for Waterford - even if our application was rejected, it would need its own thread. The thread is full of negative press so we are doing an awful job. Its debatable if the news is positive. The government are being slammed in the thread. So technically, on the conspiracy theory, it should be shoved into the mega thread.

I think we would all agree, big threads (positive or negative) need to be on their own. Its not sensible to be in a megathread. The smaller ones are put into a megathread. This is to avoid the political infighting, bait biting and all around political remarks in most threads. Both threads will be heavily moderated and not by me. Not even the slightest moderation - I won't be anywhere near it with my mod hat. Its a temporary measure, and not even proposed by me - the biggest political nerd out of the mods.

WTF on a few fronts

Firstly he didnt mention the Waterford mods or boards.ie even. He
    references the boundaries report, a journalist and then suave media management. I dont knwo where you got Waterford forum mods from :confused:. Me thinks you are the one with the tinfoil hat on here Sully

Secondly point about picking and choosing what threads will have posts moved to this thread or not is nuts, users wont know where to post. If someone is out of line on thread then the mods should moderate, not pick and choose what topics can and cannot be debated on their own thread

Easy tiger lol.. I read both stories in the national papers today! I never said the mods were involved.. Ye're good but not that good! :D I'd have posted my hmmmm about the mergers and the faux university news in the university thread but I love to follow mods rules and ye wouldn't be happy with me if I did.
    :P Get coffee Sully quick!

If VinB was here now he'd say to you.. Wha Wha What are you on about?! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Normality returned and panic over!!

• Advertisement

Don't relax yet Sully..

Boundary Review

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dday-for-councillors-as-650-face-axe-in-boundary-revamp-29307363.html
    The biggest losers in the new allocation are likely to be Laois, Longford, Clare, Tipperary, Waterford, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Cavan and Monaghan.

Ignore the above! We also bring you happy news of a University (sort of) that will happen (might happen) that will bring your region (and the others) great joy.

Department of Education to create Technological Universities in sector overhaul

Both on the same day. Hmmm.

The boundary review and merger needs its own thread but I don't have the energy to argue against the idea that although all the main cities in FG/Lab's new country ideal (Dublin, Galway, Cork) are coming out of this just fine, once again Waterford will be treated differently. We'll save loads of money merging it and it'll all be great.. Hooray for Waterford.

Im just posting the links above for info really. Ive lost the will to debate it. Waterford is being battered by FG/LAB and if FF were pulling these stunts, we'd have FG/LAB screaming foul at the ref.

Advertisement