Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA are targeting young women with seatbelt safely campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I wonder would it make any difference if folk knew that if they were involved in an accident which wasn't their fault, and they suffered injuries that would warrant a pay out of 100k (fairly significant pain and suffering into the future), they would only receive approx half of that as they would be held to be contributory negligent in causing their own injuries by not wearing one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

everlast75 wrote: »
    I wonder would it make any difference if folk knew that if they were involved in an accident which wasn't their fault, and they suffered injuries that would warrant a pay out of 100k (fairly significant pain and suffering into the future), they would only receive approx half of that as they would be held to be contributory negligent in causing their own injuries by not wearing one...

I was told that my cousin who claimed off my insurance that they cut the award in half because he didn't wear his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My preference would be not to get those injuries.

I would think most nowadays do seatbelt automatically. I didn't even know wearing seat belt under arms was even a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I wonder what percentage got advice from their plastic surgeon regarding seatbelts spoiling their fake tits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

****ing idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I don't always wear a seatbelt. I do drive very carefully though and have never been involved in any kind of road incident.

Of course wearing a seatbelt would increase my chances of not suffering major injury, or survival, should I be involved in a crash. But by not wearing a seatbelt, it could also be argued that a driver is less likely to take risks they may take if they felt safer in the car due to wearing a seatbelt. A lot of interesting studies on the effectiveness of seatbelts.

This assumes you're the only driver on the road and thus the only risk to you is your own behaviour. That's pretty far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

****ing idiots.

Why? Beauticians are well regarded experts on motoring safety. Who else would you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Imagine putting vanity above road safety.

Christ you'd have to wonder about the mentality of certain western people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭swiwi_

True. If anything though, that's an argument in favour of not being forced to wear a seatbelt.

You'd be happy to sign a waiver that in case of accident that leaves you a vegetable in 24 hour care with a feeding tube and diapers, that the State (i.e. us the taxpayers) have no responsibility to fund your care?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Candie wrote: »
    A lot of the cars in her home country would be so old that they have no seatbelts fitted at all, so she grew up with them as the exception - especially in a very rural area. She thinks we're all paranoid and scared of our own shadows and can't understand why we're horrified at her attitude!

I can understand her. Really, not wearing your seatbelt or having a pint before driving is not this unconscionably idiotic act we're made to believe. Riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous, for example, but few people call bikers idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

swiwi_ wrote: »
    24 hour care ... and diapers
    You're only encouraging them. #noseatbeltgoals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

pablo128 wrote: »
    He got 60k off my insurance, spent it on drugs, started selling crack with his junkie brother with whatever money was left, got his father who they were living with evicted, moved in with his mother and got her evicted too. His father, my uncle, died in a hostel last year. My cousin expected his aunts and uncles to pay for the funeral.

But like I said. Off topic.

That's so awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I was the passenger in a car, the driver took no risks but we were hit by an articulated truck which was overtaking and was on the wrong side of the road.

The two back seat passengers of my car were killed. Both were in age appropriate* car seats. The driver of my car ended up with injuries requiring over a month in hospital. I had horrific bruising in the shape of the seatbelt. I also had a fratctured sternum.

Had the driver or I not being wearing our seatbelts we would be dead. We took no risks.

I've no doubt there are some freak examples of a life being saved because no seatbelt was worn or vice versa, but those are isolated examples. Seatbelts worn correctly save lives.

*current recommendations would have them in different carseats and they would quite possibly have survived if the crash occured now.

RIP. Chip up Whoopsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

diomed wrote: »
    I worked with someone who wouldn't wear a seatbelt because they wanted to be able to jump out if there was going to be an accident.

I saw that work in a Russian dash cam video once though. The other 99 times... not so much.

I can understand her. Really, not wearing your seatbelt or having a pint before driving is not this unconscionably idiotic act we're made to believe. Riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous, for example, but few people call bikers idiots.

If you'd have said "I can understand her... not wearing your seat belt... is a cultural thing in certain places" I'd have agreed with you.

However, it is most certainly an idiotic act.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

everlast75 wrote: »
    If you'd have said "I can understand her... not wearing your seat belt... is a cultural thing in certain places" I'd have agreed with you.

However, it is most certainly an idiotic act.

By the same token it's a recent cultural thing to wear one in Ireland and it's a little unfair to call everyone else, including previous generations, idiots.

Would you accept Japanese people calling you an idiot for not wearing a surgical mask in the city?

By the same token it's a recent cultural thing to wear one in Ireland and it's a little unfair to call everyone else, including previous generations, idiots.

Would you accept Japanese people calling you an idiot for not wearing a surgical mask in the city?

Previous generations may be excused because of lack of research and knowledge. Therefore they were not idiots.

Our generation have no such excuse => they are idiots.

And as for the Japanese comparison, not wearing a mask won't result in you killing or seriously injuring someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

One of my in-laws will not wear a seat belt.

She will not wear it because when she was in a crash the belt which saved her life did some form of damage at the time (which she recovered from) and "belts do more harm than good".

I won't leave her drive my kids anywhere...

I also used to wear belt under arm as it annoyed the crap out of me. Still does. But that ad that was on years ago was very effective.

Also I remember vaguely there was something about not having to wear a seat belt when pregnant. Don't know if it's true or not as always wore one but I do remember having that conversation with various people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Regardless of it's for cultural reasons, vanity, comfort or because you may have a nasty injury previously, not wearing your seat belt correctly is lunacy pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Well no.

Like my example above, I used the carseats that research at the time said were safe. How could I possibly be considered an idiot in that instance? I couldn't of course.

If I used those carseats now for children the same age, taking into account current research then yes, I would indeed be an idiot. And a selfish one at that.

And it's not a cultural thing. It's a science thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't always wear a seatbelt. I do drive very carefully though and have never been involved in any kind of road incident.

Of course wearing a seatbelt would increase my chances of not suffering major injury, or survival, should I be involved in a crash. But by not wearing a seatbelt, it could also be argued that a driver is less likely to take risks they may take if they felt safer in the car due to wearing a seatbelt. A lot of interesting studies on the effectiveness of seatbelts.

Your logic is flawed as it would suggest less people died in accidents before seat belts became law. This was not the case as before seat belts became law people died more easily in an accident because they didn't have a seat belt on.

By all means keep not wearing one, you might be a Darwin award winner some day

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

But by not wearing a seatbelt, it could also be argued that a driver is less likely to take risks they may take if they felt safer in the car due to wearing a seatbelt.

I'm a fairly recent driver but I'm generally far more concerned with not killing someone else with my car than I am about my own safety. I'm in a car with a seatbelt and airbags and features in the car's build designed to protect me in a crash. I'm not invulnerable but I'm not at the same sort of risk as motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians. I drive with a goal of not hurting anyone and as wearing my seatbelt doesn't extend protection to the people I don't want to kill, it doesn't make me take any extra risks.

And you'd have to be a right selfish gombeen if it did.

I've never been in a crash thank **** but I can think of several times I would've been lucky to get away with a broken nose had I not been wearing a seat-belt (always as a passenger).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Candie wrote: »
    These ladies are what you'd call "idiots".

I have a foreign friend from a country I won't name but where all the cars about about 30 years old, and half of them have no engines and are pulled by disillusioned donkeys. She thinks seatbelts are hilarious signs of how precious Westerners are and refuses to wear one. I've actually banned her from my car because I don't want to be fined. I made her use a belt only to see her sneak it off five minutes later.

For someone pretty smart, she's really very stupid. At least she doesn't wear fake tan though.

If she's over 17 you won't be fined. Let her get a few fines and she'll soon get the message. One of my daughter's started that crack like the young one in the picture, she was 14 at the time (that charming age). Every time she did it I kept stopping on the road, it took a while but she got the idea after being late a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When would this ever happen? In more than a decade, nobody ever said a word to me about my non-mask-wearing habits. They are mostly worn by people who have a cold or who want to avoid hay fever.

What you do see in Japan is cars going round the place with little kids standing up, perched in the space between the two front seats. They are only pottering about busy city streets, granted, but it is still madness. My wife wasn't too pushed about wearing one when we first met. I really had to put my foot down about it.

In Ireland, I always hate to see dogs with their heads out the windows too. It looks cute in a way, but that dog will be crashing round the car in the event of an accident.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Didnt like that thing when i started driving but got used to it very quickly.
    Now it is a feeling of falling over when i dont wear it. I "miss" it.
    Thankfully, never have been in a position where i could start imagining if the belt saved my life or not.

Oh.... that 1 pic in this thread.... it needs quoting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,195 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

inforfun wrote: »
    Didnt like that thing when i started driving but got used to it very quickly.
    Now it is a feeling of falling over when i dont wear it. I "miss" it.
    Thankfully, never have been in a position where i could start imagining if the belt saved my life or not.

Oh.... that 1 pic in this thread.... it needs quoting again.

It was the first pic i found when i googled for "seatbelt under the arm". I swear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not just cars.

its_time_for_a_dose_of_awesomeness_640_37.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=600

That dog is going to go through the windscreen at 150 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have a few friends who refuse to wear seat belts properly or at all. Argument always turns into if you think you're that sure you are going to crash then maybe you shouldn't be driving

just stupid

Advertisement