Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA are targeting young women with seatbelt safely campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Parchment wrote: »
    If you're thick enough to wear the seat belt that way - are you going to be much of a loss to society?

Jeez that a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I had an awful habit of wearing it like that (only as a passenger though strangely enough) until that rsa ad with the dr saying it would cut through you like as if you were made from cheese. I wear it properly now

I knew someone that this happened to. Used to always wear her seatbelt under-arm because it "felt funny" if she wore it the correct way.

She had a single-vehicle RTI on her way home from town one night, and was basically cut in two by the seat belt :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Never knew there was a wrong way to wear it. The one time I forgot to put it on, I felt naked without it. I like the feeling of being strapped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The only danger really in most cases is to myself.
    If you are travelling with others, you get to turn into the blades in a liquidiser.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    Utter lunacy. A collision at any kind of high speed and that seatbelt would slice her in two.
    No it wouldn't.

But everything above her waist would pivot forward and all that momentum would be transferred to where her face meets the dashboard.

If she's lucky she'd only say goodbye to her teeth, jaw and cheek bones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And just possibly snap her neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

True. If anything though, that's an argument in favour of not being forced to wear a seatbelt. The only danger really in most cases is to myself. Whereas drink driving, texting while driving, holding the mobile phone and so on, usually have a direct effect on other drivers.

Or you could cause a catastrophic head injury/death to the person beside you if upon crashing your head belted off theirs because you were not strapped in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

anna080 wrote: »
    Or you could cause a catastrophic head injury/death to the person beside you if upon crashing your head belted off theirs because you were not strapped in.

Apparently it's OK because that poster does 80kph on the motorway to compensate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jesus, I'm surprised those are legal.

They are designed to be used when carrying items on the seat, that might set the occupancy sensor off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No it wouldn't.

But everything above her waist would pivot forward and all that momentum would be transferred to where her face meets the dashboard.

Well a surgeon who was speaking on a previous RSA advert says different but either way I think everyone can agree that across the shoulder is the correct way to wear the belt.

I was also watching the news yesterday on this and those 2 women who went on national TV and said they don't bother wearing them were idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

I don't understandwhy you would wear it the wrong way. It's designed like that for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I would never travel without a seat belt and I always wear it correctly because I understand the damage the wrong way could cause. But I do find seat belts quite uncomfortable if they are not height adjustable. I find that more often than not they cut across my jaw and stick into me. If they have an adjuster then it's grand but they often don't. I don't drive myself so my experience is with taxis mostly and the odd lift from a friend. They rarely seem to have adjusters. I'm not ridiculously short or anything (5'3"), just a little below average, yet it's a frequent issue.

I think anyone risking their life over makeup or fake tan is stupid. But unfortunately I'm not surprised it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

they mean wearing it under the arm that is closest to the belt. So if you are in the right seat you wear the belt under your right arm.

as the lady on the left is doing

kris-seat-belt.jpg

I dont think I have ever seen anyone do that, you would have to be dumb as rocks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

No it wouldn't.

In cases where the car is going very fast it would not be far off it. Any kind of half decent speed and it will cut through the abdomen and your internal organs will be bearing the brunt of it. Unless you are doing Sunday driver speeds you will either be dead or very badly injured. A few broken teeth would be a dream outcome in comparison.
    One of the first campaigns of the New Year is to address the misuse of seatbelt by women. Because as Dr Gerry Lane, the consultant in Emergency medicine who featured in our Seatbelt Safety TV ad a number of years ago, said: "…and what happens when you wear your seatbelt the wrong way is equally mind bending.

"If you're crazy enough to wear your seatbelt under your arm and if you meet me after a crash it will have sliced into you like cheese wire lacerating your vital organs."

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/in-a-crash-it-could-slice-into-you-like-cheese-wire-rsa-expert-says-wearing-seatbelt-under-your-arm-can-cause-horrific-injury-35356890.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I don't always wear a seatbelt. I do drive very carefully though and have never been involved in any kind of road incident.

Of course wearing a seatbelt would increase my chances of not suffering major injury, or survival, should I be involved in a crash. But by not wearing a seatbelt, it could also be argued that a driver is less likely to take risks they may take if they felt safer in the car due to wearing a seatbelt. A lot of interesting studies on the effectiveness of seatbelts.

I was the passenger in a car, the driver took no risks but we were hit by an articulated truck which was overtaking and was on the wrong side of the road.

The two back seat passengers of my car were killed. Both were in age appropriate* car seats. The driver of my car ended up with injuries requiring over a month in hospital. I had horrific bruising in the shape of the seatbelt. I also had a fratctured sternum.

Had the driver or I not being wearing our seatbelts we would be dead. We took no risks.

I've no doubt there are some freak examples of a life being saved because no seatbelt was worn or vice versa, but those are isolated examples. Seatbelts worn correctly save lives.

*current recommendations would have them in different carseats and they would quite possibly have survived if the crash occured now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Candie wrote: »
    These ladies are what you'd call "idiots".

I have a foreign friend from a country I won't name but where all the cars about about 30 years old, and half of them have no engines and are pulled by disillusioned donkeys. She thinks seatbelts are hilarious signs of how precious Westerners are and refuses to wear one. I've actually banned her from my car because I don't want to be fined. I made her use a belt only to see her sneak it off five minutes later.

For someone pretty smart, she's really very stupid. At least she doesn't wear fake tan though.

I don't even know what to say to that, absolutely mind boggling stuff :pac:

I was the passenger in a car, the driver took no risks but we were hit by an articulated truck which was overtaking and was on the wrong side of the road.

The two back seat passengers of my car were killed. Both were in age appropriate* car seats. The driver of my car ended up with injuries requiring over a month in hospital. I had horrific bruising in the shape of the seatbelt. I also had a fratctured sternum.

Had the driver or I not being wearing our seatbelts we would be dead. We took no risks.

I've no doubt there are some freak examples of a life being saved because no seatbelt was worn or vice versa, but those are isolated examples. Seatbelts worn correctly save lives.

*current recommendations would have them in different carseats and they would quite possibly have survived if the crash occured now.

Wow that is absolutely horrendous. I hope you are coping okay after that it can't be easy. So tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I crashed a car head on into a lamp post. There was a girl in the passenger seat and a girl sitting behind her wearing seatbelts. Neither girl was injured at all.

My 15st cousin was sitting behind me not wearing a belt and went through me. I couldn't walk properly for a year and a half. He broke his arm and leg.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say to that, absolutely mind boggling stuff :pac:

A lot of the cars in her home country would be so old that they have no seatbelts fitted at all, so she grew up with them as the exception - especially in a very rural area. She thinks we're all paranoid and scared of our own shadows and can't understand why we're horrified at her attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1st very sorry to hear that and do hope you get on as best as one can.

2nd its these instances that should be put out there to show these fools how dangerous it really can be.

So many drive a vehicle and don't think of anything but themselves or how quick they can pass in the worst of places.

I've been in a good few collisions in cars and much bigger vehicles.

Cars you would feel everything and in the large vehicles you would at times not even know there was a collision only for the sound.

It really should be drilled into people at school and improve dangerous junctions, bends and blind corners etc.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    I dont think I have ever seen anyone do that, you would have to be dumb as rocks

I have seen it worn as lap belt with the diagonal strap behind her back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

pablo128 wrote:
    I crashed a car head on into a lamp post. There was a girl in the passenger seat and a girl sitting behind her wearing seatbelts. Neither girl was injured at all.

My 15st cousin was sitting behind me not wearing a belt and went through me. I couldn't walk properly for a year and a half. He broke his arm and leg.

Jesus. You're both incredibly lucky not to be paralysed/in a vegetative state/dead.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Jesus. You're both incredibly lucky not to be paralysed/in a vegetative state/dead.

Yeah the driver seat was bent fully forward from the fat eejit. He cried for his mammy and daddy as well. This was a guy in his late 20s at the time.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yeah the driver seat was bent fully forward from the fat eejit. He cried for his mammy and daddy as well. This was a guy in his late 20s at the time.

Harsh...

Harsh...

Not if you knew what he did after the accident. I won't take the thread off topic though.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Not if you knew what he did after the accident. I won't take the thread off topic though.

Am guessing he sued you

Am guessing he sued you
    He got 60k off my insurance, spent it on drugs, started selling crack with his junkie brother with whatever money was left, got his father who they were living with evicted, moved in with his mother and got her evicted too. His father, my uncle, died in a hostel last year. My cousin expected his aunts and uncles to pay for the funeral.

But like I said. Off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Here ye go. Broadcast by TV3 a few yrs back. I think she started with the belt over the shoulder.
    https://youtu.be/9zw9x_CiUuc

At 17.04 read the fine print.
    RSA regulations were adhered to at all times during filming.
    I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

My elderly mam had a triple bypass recently and on the recommendation of her doctor had to wear the seatbelt like that on the journey home. My dad who's a stickler for rules nearly needed one himself on hearing this. Apart from a medical issue you'd want to be some vain **** to risk your life like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I worked with someone who wouldn't wear a seatbelt because they wanted to be able to jump out if there was going to be an accident.

Advertisement