Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA are targeting young women with seatbelt safely campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I cant get over some of the comments here,It is absolutely bonkers not to wear a belt and do so correctly.
    And no way in hell would i carry a projectile of a person in my car who refuses to wear a belt.
    No matter how safe a driver you are you can not always counter the unpredictable actions of other drivers (Falling asleep at the wheel and suddenly crossing the road at 100 plus km/h,Drunk drivers and debris on the road/falling tress as a few examples)

Jese,Really hope people can learn a lesson from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If someone gets into my car and won't put on the seat belt or properly, I will have no hesitation leaving them at the road side.

The whole "I'm a safe driver so I don't need one" argument is utter bollox.
    It stinks of the same mentality as something like underage smoking, you think you're cool for going up against the system :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of actual rape victims only wish they had the choice to decide whether or not to stop and have an awkward conversation or continue to be raped. Her post is so offensive on so many levels.

ok but what does that have to do with seat belts :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

ok but what does that have to do with seat belts :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wrong thread :pac:

thank fcuk

• Advertisement

LNCno4f.gif

Edit again, wrong link: Full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqGv_x2xEZY
    The incident at 0:23 is far worse, parents should get a right kick up the hole.

even the empty seat was wearing a belt.

she could have killed her friend if their heads had collided

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Parchment wrote: »
    But you not wearing a seatbelt has no affect on drivers around you.

It can have a serious effect if there is a crash and you are killed. It is not pleasant to be involved in a fatal crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I'm a learner driver and every time I get behind the wheel, I am so cautious- took my instructor a while to get my confidence up and make me reach a level where I wasn't actually dangerously over cautious.
    It has taken me years to get the courage to actually learn to drive- got my provisional licence a loooong time ago- I just could not get the confidence to drive in case I caused a crash. I am obviously no longer as nervous, I am getting better at it but my god this thread reminds me why I was always so nervous- it is not my driving that is the issue, it's all these idiots on the road. No matter how safe you drive, there are idiots who think they will never crash and put others in danger and it is so scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Homer: Seatbelts.... pfft, don't they kill more people than they save?

Lisa: You're thinking of airbags, dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Can't get my head around adults actually going out of their way not to wear one (like using those dummy clips) to the extent of expending the same effort they would by wearing one.

It's like when one of my young kids deliberately does something to wind me up just because I told them not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Can't get my head around adults actually going out of their way not to wear one (like using those dummy clips) to the extent of expending the same effort they would by wearing one.

It's like when one of my young kids deliberately does something to wind me up just because I told them not to.

Some people are medically exempted by a doctor from wearing a belt, in that situation, one of those clips would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Victor wrote: »
    Not just cars.

its_time_for_a_dose_of_awesomeness_640_37.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=600

That dog is going to go through the windscreen at 150 km/h.

I didn't think she was that bad myself but that's utterly moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Mrs Woman

neonsofa wrote: »
    I'm a learner driver and every time I get behind the wheel, I am so cautious- took my instructor a while to get my confidence up and make me reach a level where I wasn't actually dangerously over cautious.
    It has taken me years to get the courage to actually learn to drive- got my provisional licence a loooong time ago- I just could not get the confidence to drive in case I caused a crash. I am obviously no longer as nervous, I am getting better at it but my god this thread reminds me why I was always so nervous- it is not my driving that is the issue, it's all these idiots on the road. No matter how safe you drive, there are idiots who think they will never crash and put others in danger and it is so scary.

Another way to look at it is that no one wants to crash into you and they will do their utmost to avoid that. Most people are good drivers and they don't want their car wrecked.

Mrs Woman wrote: »
    Another way to look at it is that no one wants to crash into you and they will do their utmost to avoid that. Most people are good drivers and they don't want their car wrecked.

People don't do silly things with the intention of crashing, doesn't mean it's not the end result. They want to get to their destination as quick as possible, make it through the red light, overtake the car that's going too slow- you're right that they don't want to crash, they don't think they will crash, that's the problem though they actually don't give it a second thought. They are looking out for themselves and expect everyone else around them to fall into place and watch out and brake in time. Or even worse than that, they just don't even think of others on the road. I'd love to say that it's only the odd few but it's really not.

People don't do silly things with the intention of crashing, doesn't mean it's not the end result. They want to get to their destination as quick as possible, make it through the red light, overtake the car that's going too slow- you're right that they don't want to crash, they don't think they will crash, that's the problem though they actually don't give it a second thought. They are looking out for themselves and expect everyone else around them to fall into place and watch out and brake in time. Or even worse than that, they just don't even think of others on the road. I'd love to say that it's only the odd few but it's really not.

Ah I know no one intends to crash but to be honest it was just that you said you're terrified and I say this to all learners I know, including my son, my driving instructor said it to me when I couldn't even start the car with fear. In general lots of people are good drivers and they don't want to crash and if you make a mistake then other people are anticipating and they will avoid you. It does work both ways, you can be unfortunate and get the careless drivers but lets not forget there are lots of good drivers out there who value their cars and their lives.

There are two billion road journeys made a year, a miniscule fraction have an accident, much less than even 1 per cent. There is always a risk, accidents will always happen but please don't let that stop you from getting out there. A little fear is good but don't let it stop you from driving with a bit of confidence. :)

Ah I know no one intends to crash but to be honest it was just that you said you're terrified and I say this to all learners I know, including my son, my driving instructor said it to me when I couldn't even start the car with fear. In general lots of people are good drivers and they don't want to crash and if you make a mistake then other people are anticipating and they will avoid you. It does work both ways, you can be unfortunate and get the careless drivers but lets not forget there are lots of good drivers out there who value their cars and their lives.

There are two billion road journeys made a year, a miniscule fraction have an accident, much less than even 1 per cent. There is always a risk, accidents will always happen but please don't let that stop you from getting out there. A little fear is good but don't let it stop you from driving with a bit of confidence. :)

You're very good. I appreciate that.
    I drive with confidence now thank God, I just tut tut and curse a lot! :)

You're very good. I appreciate that.
    I drive with confidence now thank God, I just tut tut and curse a lot! :)

Moi aussi! :D It is all part of the joy of it is being annoyed! Seriously though while we can focus on all that can happen and rightly so, to nervous learners I just say 'well remember all these people do not want a wrecked car and will try to avoid you'. :D Its so bloody scary learning!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'm amazing at how so many people are shocked at people not wearing a seat belt in a car, but will get on a bus and not put on a seatbelt. There was such uproar when, a good few years ago, there were a couple incidents of school children being involved in bus crashes, some fatally, but when buses finally introduced seat belts, no one wears them. I know they only go across the waist but at the very least they might stop you flinging yourself and doing more damage to someone else in the event of a crash. I was guilty of this up until recently an I thought more into it and now I wear them all the time. I guess when you see no one else wearing them it's puts you off wearing them. I suppose though you could argue it's that trains and city buses don't have seat belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The best solution is to avoid buses. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've never crashed my car (properly as in head on) but a few years ago I was driving along a normal busy road, traffic moving nicely, when out of nowhere this car hits his brakes in front of me, and comes to an abrupt stop, I am practically standing on my brakes and my car was still hurtling towards the back of the car in front of me. I swerve my car to avoid hitting the car in front, onto the other side of the road and when I look in my mirror all I can see is a car with no signs of stopping coming straight towards me. It was 100km speed limit, turns out on the corner there was a tractor cutting a ditch which caused a van doing the full speed limit to hit his brakes which caused the car in front of me to hit his and caused me to hit mine - all doing in/around 100km ph. The guy behind me was a learner driver and he couldn't stop, hurled into the back/side of me at speed.

He was awful upset when he got out of the car screaming in my face about why did i brake out of nowhere but thankfully the two drivers in front were there and explained the situation while we waited for the Garda's to arrive

It didn't matter how careful I had been driving, the driver was completely inexperienced and slammed into me from behind. I was unscathed in that accident but had my car been turned any further on the road he'd have come in through my drivers door.

You cannot predict how another driver will behave on the road

Everyone's a good driver.... based on above.

You could have easily met an oncoming car when you failed to control your own car and crossed onto the oncoming lane.

You slammed on your breaks and you still couldn't stop in time to avoid hitting the car in front. Whether you weren't paying enough attention, were going too fast or didn't leave yourself enough breaking room (or a combination of all three) is up in the air but having to cross lanes is extremely poor driving.

The driver behind you should only be crashing into the back of your car. The fact that you almost left an opportunity for them to crash into your side door is the result of your poor driving. The law may favour you as the driver behind failed to stop but that doesn't mean they are the only one driving poorly and it would be little consultation to a dead you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are two billion road journeys made a year, a miniscule fraction have an accident, much less than even 1 per cent.
    1 per cent a year statistically means that over the course of a lifetime it'll happen to most people.

(99% chance of not having an accident in a year to the power of 69 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

meeeeh wrote: »
    The best solution is to avoid buses. :D
    Buses and trains are 10-100 times safer than car travel.

City buses are restricted to 65km/h. They don't need seat belts as the stopping behaviour of a 20-tonne bus is a lot different to a 1-tonne car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

City buses are restricted to 65km/h. They don't need seat belts as the stopping behaviour of a 20-tonne bus is a lot different to a 1-tonne car.

You should read up on Newton's laws of inertia. Stopping behaviour? What sort of rubbish is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jca wrote: »
    You should read up on Newton's laws of inertia. Stopping behaviour? What sort of rubbish is that?
    If a 1 tonne car hits a stationery 1 tonne car, the moving car will likely come to an abrupt halt.

If a 20 tonne bus hits a stationery 1 tonne car, the bus will likely come to a halt much more slowly, thereby subjecting the occupants to less deceleration and less likely to be injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If a 1 tonne car hits a stationery 1 tonne car, the moving car will likely come to an abrupt halt.

If a 20 tonne bus hits a stationery 1 tonne car, the bus will likely come to a halt much more slowly, thereby subjecting the occupants to less deceleration and less likely to be injured.

Right..... No point in pursuing this with you I think. I'm on the phone now but later on I'll dig up a few YouTube videos, maybe they'll convince you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

But i am 1000x safer and 10.000x more relaxed when i am on my own in my car than with other "people" in public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Pole :

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

gctest50 wrote: »
    Pole

Thought you said Russian?

• Advertisement

^^^^ I see what Victor was talking about now. Very safe :P

Advertisement