Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If they get their paintbrushes out in Dublin they'll be there for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I personally like the red post boxes on the mainland and think we should re-paint them red like the rest of the UK. The green is horrible.

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I personally like the red post boxes on the mainland and think we should re-paint them red like the rest of the UK. The green is horrible.

a user name of Kermit.de.frog hates the colour green !?! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Couldn't we just find an Irish Victoria in history and rename the streets after her ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Couldn't we just find an Irish Victoria in history and rename the streets after her ?

Maybe Panti Bliss could change her name to Queen Victoria?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Next they'll be forcing people with planters surnames to change to an Irish one.

I always found it curious how many of the nationlist northern paramilitaries lads had these names. When didn't they just go home instead?

My surname has Dutch origins, even though it's been in Ireland for about 600 years. Should I be forced to change my name too?

Look, we did all this street/place name changing in the immediate years after independence. Move on!!

costs aside and issues gone about who will be liable for payment of renaming these streets in Ireland, sure why not? - the country is not under British rule any more and hasnt been for x amount of years - if anything out of pride and celebrating Irish history roads and streets should be renamed after famous Irish people or notable Irish stand out dates in the calendar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

We are not under British rule anymore so renaming places might be a logistical nightmare but we'll have our own stamp on the counties we do have control over. I'm all for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭stinger31

Yeah definitely change them, but change them to our new leader .....Merkel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My surname has Dutch origins, even though it's been in Ireland for about 600 years. Should I be forced to change my name too?

Look, we did all this street/place name changing in the immediate years after independence. Move on!!

Yes you should, stick an O' or Mc in front of it.

I'm also out for anyone with Fitz in their surname. They'd be of French Norman stock with Scandi origins. Bunch of Scandinavian oppressors in my book, raping and pillaging. Pack your bags and go home you Nordic gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Yes you should, stick an O' or Mc in front of it.

I'm also out for anyone with Fitz in their surname. They'd be of French Norman stock with Scandi origins. Bunch of Scandinavian oppressors in my book, raping and pillaging. Pack your bags and go home you Nordic gits.

If your not being sarcastic your the one with a serious problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

KKkitty wrote: »
    We are not under British rule anymore so renaming places might be a logistical nightmare but we'll have our own stamp on the counties we do have control over. I'm all for it.

.....and the architecture? Anything built or faced on Portland Stone, do we get rid of that?

The various Lions & Unicorns carved into buildings? Do we reef those out?

Maybe we should start driving on the right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    If your not being sarcastic your the one with a serious problem.

Who are you King Brian?

The only royalty I recognise on this island is Ruaidri Ua Conchobair (Rory O'Connor.)

The last High King of this land to take the seat at Tara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Bressie Street....

Maybe we should switch over and start driving on the "correct" side of the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I voted Rename / Don't Rename / It Doesn't Matter. I suspect you chose the wrong type of poll when you set this thread up ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 67,064 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

catbear wrote: »
    What I don't get is the preservation of the British identity over celebrating Irish people that mattered.

Well, that is changing already with living Irish people beginning to be recognised for what they gave.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/martin-mcguinness-nominated-for-tipperary-international-peace-award-35419989.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JupiterKid wrote: »

Yes.

From now on you'll be O'JupiterKid :p

seachto7 wrote: »
    Bressie Street....

Maybe we should switch over and start driving on the "correct" side of the road...

well we should certainly bring back our own time.....

Dublin lost its time zone –and 25 minutes– after 1916 Rising

We repealed the Time (Ireland) Act, 1916 but we still stuck with Greenwich Mean Time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Well, that is changing already with living Irish people beginning to be recognised for what they gave.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/martin-mcguinness-nominated-for-tipperary-international-peace-award-35419989.html

And the nomination (4 others have been nominated too) has caused huge controversy too, and disgust among victims of violence, such as the Enniskillen bomb. As one person said:
    "The people behind this award need to seriously reconsider. Martin McGuinness was, by his own admission, an IRA commander. The IRA was the most bloodthirsty terrorist organisation in Western Europe. What the Tipperary Peace Award Committee are really saying is you can be involved in a terrorist organisation and be recognised for a contribution towards peace without expressing one scintilla of remorse or regret."
    Others have said "Mr McGuinness rejected the peaceful methods of the civil rights movement and the SDLP before the introduction of interment in 1971 - and instead chose the path of violence.
    http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/anger-on-peace-nomination-for-sf-s-mcguinness-1-7806756
    If anyones name should be on a street name plate, perhaps that young nurse who died in the Enniskillen bombing would be a better nomination that an IRA commander? Even though the IRA commander did, in fairness to him, choose the path of peace in recent decades.

• Advertisement

Above the Sligo Main Post Office door:

16507895_10211288127652811_6176527397684859081_n.jpg?oh=12db852b0924c4916d2b7657301228e8&oe=59014B09

Theres a couple of ER post boxes as well in Sligo, one up by the library and one up the mall I think - but been painted green ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Jawgap wrote: »

We repealed the Time (Ireland) Act, 1916 but we still stuck with Greenwich Mean Time :)

It's okay, some of us still use it, at least that's always my excuse :)

How strange though the Dublin time zone was abolished after 1916 though and it was a ruling from the British Government. - Thats a bit Irish! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Never mind Princes Street.......

I believe "Prince's Street was officially renamed many years ago. The local businesses wouldn't accept the new name. So Prince's Street it still is.

In point of face we use a different time zone to the UK.

Ireland uses Irish Standard Time (IST, UTC+01:00; Irish: Am Caighdeánach Éireannach) in the summer months and Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0) in the winter period.

In point of face we use a different time zone to the UK.

Ireland uses Irish Standard Time (IST, UTC+01:00; Irish: Am Caighdeánach Éireannach) in the summer months and Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0) in the winter period.

Indeed but the Standard Time Act of 1968 defines IST by reference to GMT the Queen's time.....
    1.—(1) The time for general purposes in the State (to be known as standard time) shall be one hour in advance of Greenwich mean time throughout the year

.....I'll be painting over all clocks that perpetuate this outrage from tomorrow, starting at 9:00am Dublin Mean Time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Who are you King Brian?

The only royalty I recognise on this island is Ruaidri Ua Conchobair (Rory O'Connor.)

The last High King of this land to take the seat at Tara.

WHO AM I WHO AM I YOU SAY.

How dare you not not know who i am for i am the the rightful King of all the Irish tribes. A noble member of the Dál Gcais dynasty and the saviour of the Gaelic people from the ravishes of the Great Heathen Army. Books and songs have been written about me. Guardian of the city of Dublin from the fiend Silkbeard.

Bow down to your King and master. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67,064 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

maryishere wrote: »
    And the nomination (4 others have been nominated too) has caused huge controversy too, and disgust among victims of violence, such as the Enniskillen bomb. As one person said:
    "The people behind this award need to seriously reconsider. Martin McGuinness was, by his own admission, an IRA commander. The IRA was the most bloodthirsty terrorist organisation in Western Europe. What the Tipperary Peace Award Committee are really saying is you can be involved in a terrorist organisation and be recognised for a contribution towards peace without expressing one scintilla of remorse or regret."
    Others have said "Mr McGuinness rejected the peaceful methods of the civil rights movement and the SDLP before the introduction of interment in 1971 - and instead chose the path of violence.
    http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/anger-on-peace-nomination-for-sf-s-mcguinness-1-7806756
    If anyones name should be on a street name plate, perhaps that young nurse who died in the Enniskillen bombing would be a better nomination that an IRA commander? Even though the IRA commander did, in fairness to him, choose the path of peace in recent decades.
    The point is and always was, that people involved in wars and conflicts can be seen as having contributed to a lasting peace. A peace that can only exist because of the equal and fair society they fought for and continued to build after the war/conflict ended.
    That is what is being recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

.....and the architecture? Anything built or faced on Portland Stone, do we get rid of that?

The various Lions & Unicorns carved into buildings? Do we reef those out?

Maybe we should start driving on the right ;)

Exactly. What did the Brits ever give us?

Nothing except the counties, the canals, the roads, the trains, a legal system, an educational system, Georgian architecture, a monetary system, a second language for Yeats, Joyce and Heaney, three codes of football, Cheddar cheese, stout, fish and chips, the concertina for Mrs. Crotty, Pugin churches, the RNLI, the Salvation Army for down 'n outs, Cadburys and Rowntrees chocolate, penicillin, marmalade and tea.

Absolutely bloody nothing else. Let's get rid of them all, I say. :D

• Advertisement

I'm goin to paint all my double sockets in my house with black paint tomorrow - their 3 pinniness and switches looks very suspiciously British to me if you ask me :D

- I will fit some Irish ones in their place instead...

Advertisement