Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Archeron wrote: »
    Damned german shopping trollies, coming over here and stealing our English canals.

Damned English canals polluting our countryside anyway, we should make the British take them back along with their harbours and piers and lighthouses and courthouses and old buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Auld Diarmuid must be bored now there's no water protests.

I can think of about 20 more important things he could be doing in Cork right now.

Of course I wont be doing them either...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    She was the head of state for Ireland at the time. She could have intervened.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

She sent £100 in aid. So, £7,000 in today's money?

There is at least one recorded instance where she stopped other's from donating or giving aid as she didn't want to be seen as less generous.
    She still had political and social clout that could have been useful had she an actual sense of humanitarianism. She just wanted to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Place in bray called Prince of Wales terrace, which bloody prince of Wales does it refer to I wonder, not wee Charlie I'd hope.

• Advertisement

Place in bray called Prince of Wales terrace, which bloody prince of Wales does it refer to I wonder, not wee Charlie I'd hope.
    Maybe it was for positioning a long range canon that could take out the Prince of Wales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

somefeen wrote: »
    She sent £100 in aid. So, £7,000 in today's money?
    she donated £2000, around £80,000 in today's money
    There is at least one recorded instance where she stopped other's from donating or giving aid as she didn't want to be seen as less generous.
    no there isn't.
    She still had political and social clout that could have been useful had she an actual sense of humanitarianism. She just wanted to look good.
    Victoria Regina,

Most Reverend Father in God, our right trusty and right entirely beloved councillor, we greet you well. Whereas a large portion of the population in Ireland, and in some districts in Scotland, is suffering severe distress, owing to the failure of the ordinary supplies of food; and whereas many of our subjects have entered into voluntary subscriptions for their relief, and have at the same time humbly prayed to us to issue our Royal Letters, directed to the Lord Archbishop of Canterbury and the Lord Archbishop of York, authorising them to promote contributions within their respective provinces for the same benevolent purpose.

We ... being always ready to give the best encouragement and countenance to such humane and charitable undertakings, are graciously pleased to condescend to their request; and we do hereby direct that these letters be by you communicated to the several Suffragen Bishops within your province, expressly requiring them to take care that publication be made hereof on such Sunday in the present or ensuing month, and in such places within the respective dioceses, as the said Bishops shall appoint; and that upon this occasion the ministers in each parish do effectively excite their parishioners to a liberal contribution, which shall be collected the week following at their respective dwellings by the churchwardens or overseers of the poor in each parish; and the ministers of the several parishes are to cause the sums so collected to be paid immediately into the hands of the Bank of England, to be accounted for by them, and applying to the carrying on and promoting the above mentioned good designs.

And so we bid you very heartily farewell. Given at the Court at St James, the 13th day of January 1847, in the tenth year of our reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

prinzeugen wrote: »
    catbear wrote: »
    Do you seriously believe Ambulance staff go around looking for signposts when they've got a call in a rural area?

go have a tug and a fag.

Well they had problems on finding my street in Dublin when the old woman next door had a heart attack because some **** had removed/painted over the signs.

Good job I knew CPR.

Dublin City Council were out and put up new signs within days.

We could name a street after you , " Blow your own Trumpet Avenue " or
    maybe "Stayin' alive Lane ".

We could name a street after you , " Blow your own Trumpet Avenue " or
    maybe "Stayin' alive Lane ".
    Or "saviour street"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Interesting article on the whole Queen Victoria/Sultan Abdülmecid donation thing here link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Well they had problems on finding my street in Dublin when the old woman next door had a heart attack because some **** had removed/painted over the signs.

Good job I knew CPR.

Dublin City Council were out and put up Xnew signs within days.

Friend of mine works in agarage PDIing ambulance...they come with gps nowadays

Eithrr the ambulannce crew or you are telling porkies here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why erase history? It happened. no change of signs will change the fact that it happened however sad it may be. But we are now allies with britain so I don't see why petty things like this should go on

And jewish people renaming streets that hitler had named or whatever is not a valid comparison as they are not allied with people who identify with that ideology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be all for a bit of that in Cork.......;)

Might improve the place.

Spelling issues aside.....but if its a local issue and people wanting to do it over a long term

Then they should be allowed to vote on it imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why erase history? It happened. no change of signs will change the fact that it happened however sad it may be. But we are now allies with britain so I don't see why petty things like this should go on

And jewish people renaming streets that hitler had named or whatever is not a valid comparison as they are not allied with people who identify with that ideology

How does it erase history? It's not like they go into the history books and expunge any reference to Queen Victoria.

I'm not in favour of the actions taken in the OP btw

• Registered Users Posts: 67,072 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How does it erase history? It's not like they go into the history books and expunge any reference to Queen Victoria.

I'm not in favour of the actions taken in the OP btw

Erasing history isn't the problem, it's the attempt to rewrite it to absolve that is the problem.

Personally a name, wouldn't bother me.

no there isn't.

I stand corrected, it's not actually recorded anywhere.
    It's interesting that I distinctly remember reading that as fact in Junior Cert. History. I don't remember reading 'allegedly' or anything along those lines.
    I don't remember hearing about famine aid stations either. Just coffin ships and people being denied food.

She was still a bitch though. I'd need more convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's interesting that I distinctly remember reading that as fact in Junior Cert. History. I don't remember reading 'allegedly' or anything along those lines.
    I don't remember hearing about famine aid stations either. Just coffin ships and people being denied food.

I presume UCC can be taken as a good source? It is a very good site, with lots of interesting articles. The Sultan thing is completely blown out of all proportion and is probably as much myth as it is fact.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=GnksAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA115&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

The reason you don't hear about aid stations etc, is that it doesn't fit in with the "Genocide" rant the uber patriots like to portray. Thats why you read about the £360 the Choctaw Indians donated, but not the £170,000 donated to the British relief Charity.

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Economic_Depression
    http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Private_Responses_to_the_Famine3344361812
    http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Letter_of_Queen_Victoria
    http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Central_Relief_Committee
    http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Ireland_politics_and_administration_1815ndash1870#9GovernmentresponsestotheFamine

There was a lot more that could have been done and the government should have carried out stricter controls on exports and food prices, which would have reduced the price of food and made it more available to the starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I presume UCC can be taken as a good source? It is a very good site, with lots of interesting articles. The Sultan thing is completely blown out of all proportion and is probably as much myth as it is fact.

Drogheda coat of arms 'urban legend'...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/president-tells-turks-an-anecdote-of-myth-not-fact-1.643295

PRESIDENT MARY McAleese and her officials were left red-faced last night after it was learned that remarks she made on Tuesday night in Turkey linking that country with Drogheda were based on local myth and not fact.
    The comments were made during a state dinner in the capital, Ankara, as part of a four-day official visit.

Mrs McAleese told VIP guests Turkey had helped Ireland during the Famine. She said: “During that famine, Turkey’s then leader Sultan Abdul Majid sent three ships loaded with food to Ireland. The cargo was unloaded in a port called Drogheda and since then, at the insistence of the people, the star and crescent of your country forms part of the town’s coat of arms.”

Local historians in Drogheda have been left wondering where the President’s scriptwriters unearthed the details. Liam Reilly, an administrator with the Old Drogheda Society based in the town’s Millmount Museum, said last night the comments were incorrect. “There are no records with the Drogheda Port Authority of this ever happening. Drogheda historians can trace the star and crescent back to 1210 when the British governor of Ireland, King John Lackland, granted the town its first charter,” he said.

Spokeswoman for Mrs McAleese Sheila Clarke said: “While included in good faith on information supplied, it is now accepted that the reference . . . would not appear to be based on sound historical fact.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

no there isn't.

Your last comment is hilarious , comedy gold. A convincing end to a discussion , sort of along the lines " your ma's a whore ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

In Spain & Portugal they have got rid of most street names re Franco & Salazar, just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

These are like the pathetic morons who go around south county dublin painting or taping over the english on street and road signs.

Drogheda coat of arms 'urban legend'...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/president-tells-turks-an-anecdote-of-myth-not-fact-1.643295

PRESIDENT MARY McAleese and her officials were left red-faced last night after it was learned that remarks she made on Tuesday night in Turkey linking that country with Drogheda were based on local myth and not fact.

And to think we still pay that b**** 137,000 a year of a pension, when she could not even get her facts right when she was in the job.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mcaleese-ahern-and-cowen-each-paid-137-000-state-pensions-1.2745603
    Thats like in history at school I remember being taught about the brave rebel leaders of 1916 and how great they were, but nothing of the bravery of the 100,000 Irishmen who volunteered to fight in WW1 at the same time. A lot of history we were taught was one-sided. What about reports that in 1847, one of the worst years of the famine, food exports from Ireland were only 120 thousand tons, , and imports of food in the same year was 900 thousand tons......ie, almost 8 times more than exports.

maryishere wrote: »
    And to think we still pay that b**** 137,000 a year of a pension, when she could not even get her facts right when she was in the job.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mcaleese-ahern-and-cowen-each-paid-137-000-state-pensions-1.2745603

TBF, she was probably fed that misinformation by her speech writer or public appearance handler. I wouldn't expect her to be some local history expert.

Yeah she's a 'bitch' because she made a blooper, Queen Vic is a 'bitch' because she was a British monarch.
    Everyone's a bitch...

g138088638462292288.jpg

TBF, she was probably fed that misinformation by her speech writer or public appearance handler. I wouldn't expect her to be some local history expert.

She should have checked her facts on something so important, she would have had a long time to prepare her speech and read it first. It was her job. A very highly paid one. Her pension now is €137,000 per year for doing nothing. To put that in context, Spains current Prime Minister is paid €78,000 per year for actually running Spain, a much larger country.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_salaries_of_heads_of_state_and_government

• Registered Users Posts: 67,072 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The history of the British Empire from it's beginning to it's demise is 'unfortunately' littered with links to devastating and avoidable(in many cases) famine.
    The famines of the British Empire all have remarkably similar resonances, a monarchy or government paying lip service to humane intervention while on the ground they were doing something entirely different.
    The abiding problem for Britain is that the children and the grandchildren of the 'empire' will keep digging at the truth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/soutikbiswas/2010/10/how_churchill_starved_india.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-the-truth-our-empire-killed-millions-404631.html

maryishere wrote: »
    She should have checked her facts on something so important, she would have had a long time to prepare her speech and read it first. It was her job. A very highly paid one. Her pension now is €137,000 per year for doing nothing. To put that in context, Spains current Prime Minister is paid €78,000 per year for actually running Spain, a much larger country.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_salaries_of_heads_of_state_and_government

It was an anecdote, hardly grounds of a declaration of war.

What I don't get is the preservation of the British identity over celebrating Irish people that mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

What will they do with the Royal Canal ? Drain it away ?

no, paint over it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I applaud their passion to paint over the sign...

I dont agree with them painting over the sign, its pure graffiti/vandalism and an offence of damage to public/private property....

It might be too OTT to send them to jail for it (well not on a first offence but if they carry on doing it and not learning their lesson and just implementing a peaceful protest without vandalism then different matter)

Photo evidence and their admittance to doing the crime is enough to find them guilty....

Should they pay for the total replacement costs involved in putting the sign back to how it was in its original state before they vandalised it - hell yes!

Should the Tax Payer pay for the replacement costs involved in putting the sign back to how it was in its original state before they vandalised it - Hell No!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I personally like the red post boxes on the mainland and think we should re-paint them red like the rest of the UK. The green is horrible.

Advertisement