Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thoie wrote: »
    I think civil disobedience would have been taping a bit of paper over the name. Painting is just pure vandalism, and will cost money to be cleaned up, or new plates manufactured. I suppose their argument is that while new plates are being made, they could change the names at the same time, but it's not that simple, and while the decision was being made (which could take a year), you're left with no usable plates.

Cretinous act.

Oh yeah.. Just the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

They should not rename them they should fix them. You'll notice plenty of them have no names. The print has long since vanished. Take a look all the letters have warn away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

In their Arsenal or United jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭muttnjeff

that idiot was on local radio this morning-voice of the people my ar**. it is vandalism. I prefer my history un-whitewashed. Our place names are a huge part of what we are and where we came from-and what we have become. Those idiots should be arrested and charged with vandalism and incitement to violence.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I here by start a petition to keep victorian place names!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

"Activists"

No, Unemployed wastrels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

“The group are engaging in Civil Disobedience to remove Victoria’s name, stating that this is necessary in order to respect the memory of the millions who starved and were dispossessed under her reign,” Mr Ó Cadhla said.

The lads do seem a bit mad in fairness.

But in principle I wouldn't be against renaming some streets if the public will was there for it to be done.

If there was a Hitler street in Germany, it'd be long removed at this stage. Why can't we rename streets after our own heroes and heroines, such as Kevin Barry or Countess Markievicz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

What will they do with the Royal Canal ? Drain it away ?
    Sure it'll be Grand...

What will they do with the Royal Canal ? Drain it away ?

Rename it the Kevin Barry Canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

dfeo wrote: »
    If there was a Hitler street in Germany, it'd be long removed at this stage. Why can't we rename streets after our own heroes and heroines, such as Kevin Barry or Countess Markievicz.
    What about Adolf Avenue? Sounds almost suburban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

indioblack wrote: »

We're gonna rock down to Herr Hitler avenue....

Rename it the Kevin Barry Canal.
    indioblack wrote: »

Ohhh, ehh, nevermind.

2d7hmv9.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If theres sistained public appitide for thos over a prolonged period (maybe 5years?)..no point in doing it...if its just fashionable and then changong a few years down the road

Hold a plebicide in areas affected of renaming maybe 8-10 streets etc at the one time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

RobertKK wrote: »
    Changing street names will not change history.

The references to Queen Victoria keeps certain things alive, remove Victoria and then no threads that remember how some called her the famine queen.

Changing the names of places is like one is trying to forget their history.
    Keeping that alive hasn't stopped you from calling it famine when there was no shortage of food on the Island.

More accurate to call her the genocide queen.

catbear wrote: »
    Keeping that alive hasn't stopped you from calling it was famine when there was no shortage of food on the Island.

Ah that term is a political word. What happened was an environmental social collapse. The plight impacted rural Ireland the most and society came crashing down all around the island predominantly the midlands & west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I would support them painting over the English words on all signage

If they really wanted to erase history of our English overlords

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

EmoCourt wrote: »
    "Activists"

No, Unemployed wastrels.

Mr O'Cadhla hasn't even come close to 1% of a quota any time he's stood for election. Must be a fan of losing deposit money.

http://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=8218

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If theres sistained public appitide for thos over a prolonged period (maybe 5years?)..no point in doing it...if its just fashionable and then changong a few years down the road

Hold a plebicide in areas affected of renaming maybe 8-10 streets etc at the one time??

Yeah, I'd be all for a bit of that in Cork.......;)

Might improve the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Keeping that alive hasn't stopped you from calling it famine when there was no shortage of food on the Island.

Actually, as said before, in 1847, one of the worst years of the famine, food exports from Ireland were only 120 thousand tons, , and imports of food in the same year was 900 thousand tons......ie, almost 8 times more than exports.
    http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/famine/

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

This poll has the same shortcoming as the previous poll on this topic, namely it doesn’t offer what is surely the most rational response: evaluate all suggested name changes individually based on their individual merits or demerits.

• Advertisement

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Ah that term is a political word. What happened was an environmental social collapse. The plight impacted rural Ireland the most and society came crashing down all around the island predominantly the midlands & west.
    There was no shortage of food.

Britain had more troops in Ireland to protect food exports than they had stationed in India.

After putting all funding responsibility for relieving starvation on Ireland they were merely giving up the pretense of care.

It was genocide. The political policies of privation that kept the population in constant risk of starvation were in place before the blight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You really think Cork people want streets named after Dubs and English aristos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Just something else for the rent a mob to have "peaceful" protests about.

I hope nobody needs urgent help on that road. How are ambulance crews supposed to see where they are?!

Twats should be locked up.

Just leave them as they are. If you don't like it, move!

My local area in Dublin would be a wetdream for them! Most roads have British names (both Scottish and English).

There was no shortage of food.

Britain had more troops in Ireland to protect food exports than they had stationed in India.

After putting all funding responsibility for relieving starvation on Ireland they were merely giving up the pretense of care.

It was genocide. The political policies of privation that kept the population in constant risk of starvation were in place before the blight.

Not everyone starved we know that. The potato crop was the sole diet of the countryside. Once that was no longer available the country withered away. The Brits were not responsible for changing the weather to cause all the potatoes to rot. So using the term genocide is not true. They never set themselves the task of planting crops in Ireland making it the diet of Irish peasants and waited for the weather to do the rest.

prinzeugen wrote: »

I hope nobody needs urgent help on that road. How are ambulance crews supposed to see where they are?!
    Do you seriously believe Ambulance staff go around looking for signposts when they've got a call in a rural area?

go have a tug and a fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I prefer when people do this this level of divilment instead...

Ke8Oh3G.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Dublin part of it is 75% trolley anyway.

Damned german shopping trollies, coming over here and stealing our English canals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Do you seriously believe Ambulance staff go around looking for signposts when they've got a call in a rural area?
    so if a child is knocked down on a street or road with the name painted out, I hope whoever is ringing the ambulance can say to come to the street with the name vandalised out. Good thinkin batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

go have a tug and a fag.

Well they had problems on finding my street in Dublin when the old woman next door had a heart attack because some **** had removed/painted over the signs.

Good job I knew CPR.

Dublin City Council were out and put up new signs within days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement