Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

cronos wrote: »
    Think about it, the house will have a different value by the time the build is completed, as the market changes. If you did a valuation now but it wasn't ready for 6 months, you would have to value again which costs money.

that all makes sense. But does the estate agent/builder require confirmation of mortgage long before the property is built?
    I mean, they are not going to build a house on good faith & spend all the money building the house on the chance you will get a mortgage, right.

Bank can only give approval in principal until they can value.
    Cant value until build is almost complete.
    Is Approval in principal enough for the Builter/Contractor (ballymore) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    that all makes sense. But does the estate agent/builder require confirmation of mortgage long before the property is built?
    I mean, they are not going to build a house on good faith & spend all the money building the house on the chance you will get a mortgage, right.

Bank can only give approval in principal until they can value.
    Cant value until build is almost complete.
    Is Approval in principal enough for the Builter/Contractor (ballymore) ?

No approval in principal is not enough. You need to go to the next stage after which is when you get your "Mortgage Pack" (aka Mortgage Offer). That documentation is sent to your Solicitor. Only then will a good solicitor let you sign the contract. So the way it goes down is you pay 5k booking fee, then you get a solicitor, then you get the morgage offer letter to the solicitor, then solicitor reviews those, then you can sign your contracts. Then a few months go by, then close to the house completion you get a valuation, the house completes, the snag is done and signed off at which point you get keys and sign off on morgage docs.

No approval in principal is not enough. You need to go to the next stage after which is when you get your "Mortgage Pack" (aka Mortgage Offer).

thats the issue though, the bank wont go to that stage without a valuation report, which cant be done on a house in construction (or a house purchased from the plans).

thats the issue though, the bank wont go to that stage without a valuation report, which cant be done on a house in construction (or a house purchased from the plans).

What bank is this were talking about?

What bank is this were talking about?

KBC

KBC

I think there is a Ask KBC section on boards.ie I suggest asking there for a second opinion.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1628

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

FTB question.

The bank have given us approval in principal, allowing us to make an offer.
    to move it on to a letter of offer stage, they need to do a valuation. They cant do a valuation yet as the house is a building site and has months left before its finished. (Bank is KBC)

I assume the contrator/sherry fitz require confirmation of the loan offer so that creates a catch 22.

This has to be a regular occurrence with new builds, how is it usually dealt with?

They can do a preliminary valuation. They value off the plans. They then do a second valuation when you're ready to close.

They can do a preliminary valuation. They value off the plans. They then do a second valuation when you're ready to close.

good info, appreciate that. whats the duration of the offer based on the preliminary valuation? if its the standard 6 months, then its still not great as not many houses are built in less than 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

good info, appreciate that. whats the duration of the offer based on the preliminary valuation? if its the standard 6 months, then its still not great as not many houses are built in less than 6 months.

That's specific to your bank and your circumstances. TBH, it sounds like whomever you're dealing with in KBC isn't being helpful. We went with them and they outlined everything you've asked about in detail from the time we got approval in principle. We ended up applying 3 times for approval as it expired repeatedly while we waited for the house to complete.

There is a lot if stuff they should be informing you about, and for which you will be relying on them to be in the ball with. If they're dropping the ball on the basics, it doesn't bode well.

Note it took us two weeks to get the mortgage pack.

• Advertisement

Who's doing the preliminary valuation at that stage though? The bank or a valuer that you actually pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

For kbc they ask a valuer to do it and the valuer rings you for payment.

Manion wrote: »
    That's specific to your bank and your circumstances. TBH, it sounds like whomever you're dealing with in KBC isn't being helpful. We went with them and they outlined everything you've asked about in detail from the time we got approval in principle. We ended up applying 3 times for approval as it expired repeatedly while we waited for the house to complete.

There is a lot if stuff they should be informing you about, and for which you will be relying on them to be in the ball with. If they're dropping the ball on the basics, it doesn't bode well.

Note it took us two weeks to get the mortgage pack.

I wouldnt put them down just yet, Im new to this also so probably not asking the right questions. He has since come back and said they can value off the plans but if the letter of offer expires, we will have to reapply. this sounds pretty much like what you had to do also, so all seems ok.

for people who have received their home, how far off schedule were the houses? Sherry Fitz said ours is ready in May/June period. How far from accurate have their estimates been in the past?

for people who have received their home, how far off schedule were the houses? Sherry Fitz said ours is ready in May/June period. How far from accurate have their estimates been in the past?

About 2 months out I got an exact week from ballymore, it was bang.

For me 6 months out it was roughly Dec/Jan. At the end of Nov it was Jan 20th. On Jan 1st it was end of Jan. Then 3 days ago formally said to be Feb 1st.

• Advertisement

Has anyone inquired about the standard of inspections on these builds, for things like fire safety compliance, pyrite & the other issues that seem to plague boom time builds?

Its probably just worry for nothing, it but I dont want to end up like priory hall, beacon cubes, longboat quay in 10 years time.

Has anyone inquired about the standard of inspections on these builds, for things like fire safety compliance, pyrite & the other issues that seem to plague boom time builds?

Its probably just worry for nothing, it but I dont want to end up like priory hall, beacon cubes, longboat quay in 10 years time.

No but I'd be interested to hear. Let us know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

maciektok wrote: »
    Downstairs is all concrete. You've wooden stairs and floors in all the bedrooms and landing. If you want I'll pm the pics. Also we knocked down the wall between kitchen and living room

Pictures of both would be fantastic, feel free to PM whenever suits. Thank you. I've been toying with the idea of making it open plan downstairs, curious what it would look like. Also curious after you put in all that work sanding and varnishing what the end product looked like.
    If you could send them on to me also I would really appreciate it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

maciektok wrote: »
    Nhol78 wrote: »
    Hi All,I have just put down the deposit to purchase the heron in the new phase and I have some questions.1. Has any one found a good solicitor who does not cost a fortune?
    1. We used solicitors, We were more than happy, well worth the money, couple of houses in our phase got delayed because solicitor screwed up, so sometimes it is worth paying the moneyIf you could PM your Solicitor details that would be great Maciektok thanks.
    If you could pm your Solicitor name that would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

Is anyone else having problems with the new kitchen supplier? I have called them about 10 times looking for revised plans for the kitchen, They keep on saying that they will share the details but they never follow through...

• Advertisement

Is anyone else having problems with the new kitchen supplier? I have called them about 10 times looking for revised plans for the kitchen, They keep on saying that they will share the details but they never follow through...

They were extremely difficult to deal with. Never responding to emails or calls. Never followup up when they promised they would. You'll need to go out to their offices in wicklow if you want something do.

Did anyone buy a Heron expecting the wall between the kitchen and the living room to be present like is the case in the show house? But then instead they left a hole between the living room and kitchen!

I bought one and asked them to remove the wall and to add in sliding doors. Did you actually get one with the wall removed when you didn't ask for it?

I bought one and asked them to remove the wall and to add in sliding doors. Did you actually get one with the wall removed when you didn't ask for it?

I asked for pocket doors in November and was told it wasn't possible as it was too late. They said they could do normal doors but I said I wasn't interested in that.

I think the interpreted that to mean just leave a hole. Haven't been handed the keys yet so perhaps they just plan to close it off before the handover. Not sure how long it actually takes to put up a wall. Could be simple for them.

I popped them an email to ask. I'd have loved pocket doors, but normal doors just don't interest me. So I had expected a full wall as per the showhouse and as per the designs in the contract with my solicitor.

When did you get sliding doors? During snagging?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sdhway

I asked for pocket doors in November and was told it wasn't possible as it was too late. They said they could do normal doors but I said I wasn't interested in that.

I think the interpreted that to mean just leave a hole. Haven't been handed the keys yet so perhaps they just plan to close it off before the handover. Not sure how long it actually takes to put up a wall. Could be simple for them.

I popped them an email to ask. I'd have loved pocket doors, but normal doors just don't interest me. So I had expected a full wall as per the showhouse and as per the designs in the contract with my solicitor.

When did you get sliding doors? During snagging?

As far as I understand, cavity sliding doors require the structure of the wall to be amended when being built so there is a cavity for the door to slide into that isn't obstructed by the stud wall.

The cavity doors were very expensive so we are gonna put up our own sliding doors and hopefully make a feature out of them. Might be an option for you if can't get above sorted. I have found Ballymore very good to deal with if you visit them on site. Hope it works out for you.

Separately, Judging by the show house there is no access to the shower or bath pipes. Anywhere I've lived before the panel on shower base can be easily removed to access the pipes in case of blockage. For anyone already moved in, are the panels the same in bathroom as show house?

We are due to get our house around mid March, we asked for the sliding doors about 3 months back and got the price and their agreement in writing.

sdhway wrote: »
    As far as I understand, cavity sliding doors require the structure of the wall to be amended when being built so there is a cavity for the door to slide into that isn't obstructed by the stud wall.

The cavity doors were very expensive so we are gonna put up our own sliding doors and hopefully make a feature out of them. Might be an option for you if can't get above sorted. I have found Ballymore very good to deal with if you visit them on site. Hope it works out for you.

Separately, Judging by the show house there is no access to the shower or bath pipes. Anywhere I've lived before the panel on shower base can be easily removed to access the pipes in case of blockage. For anyone already moved in, are the panels the same in bathroom as show house?

Can you please PM me the details of what you're planning? I might like that option indeed.

In fairness to Ballymore I suspect it was a legit mistake and confusion. Just hard to know what do with floors etc...

Can you please also PM me details about flooring, still searching for someone good on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sdhway

Can you please PM me the details of what you're planning? I might like that option indeed.

In fairness to Ballymore I suspect it was a legit mistake and confusion. Just hard to know what do with floors etc...

Can you please also PM me details about flooring, still searching for someone good on that front.

Re the door, we are just going to ask ballymore to leave the space open and we will get doors sorted ourselves at later date when find doors we like. Gonna use a Henderson rail that would suit the doors http://www.pchenderson.ie/sliding_door_gear_list.php?config=Straight+Sliding

Re floors, a previous poster recommended sanding and using a whitewash on floorboards upstairs which looks nice and we think worth trying before buying floors. For ground floor we are thinking laminate in living area and LVT in kitchen and hall. These are designed to self fit as easily click together so can save ~€10/y^2 which many will charge or build into total price for fitting. Should ask for skirting not to be fitted if you are doing this as the laminate will require expansion space.

Sorry I dont have anyone to recommend for flooring. Most places you can buy flooring will fit for you. I was told that anything more than €12/y^2 is a rip off. Any suggestions on where to buy good value LVT or laminates would be welcome!

We are due to get our house around mid March, we asked for the sliding doors about 3 months back and got the price and their agreement in writing.

Ya I'm sure if I had asked 6 months in advance I could have got it. However, 3 months out wasn't early enough

sdhway wrote: »
    Re the door, we are just going to ask ballymore to leave the space open and we will get doors sorted ourselves at later date when find doors we like. Gonna use a Henderson rail that would suit the doors http://www.pchenderson.ie/sliding_door_gear_list.php?config=Straight+Sliding

Re floors, a previous poster recommended sanding and using a whitewash on floorboards upstairs which looks nice and we think worth trying before buying floors. For ground floor we are thinking laminate in living area and LVT in kitchen and hall. These are designed to self fit as easily click together so can save ~€10/y^2 which many will charge or build into total price for fitting. Should ask for skirting not to be fitted if you are doing this as the laminate will require expansion space.

Sorry I dont have anyone to recommend for flooring. Most places you can buy flooring will fit for you. I was told that anything more than €12/y^2 is a rip off. Any suggestions on where to buy good value LVT or laminates would be welcome!

+1 for info on Laminate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

Did anybody else, that opened a door between the kitchen and living room, had to pay 350 quid extra for the radiators, outside of the initial quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

OrdeP wrote: »
    Did anybody else, that opened a door between the kitchen and living room, had to pay 350 quid extra for the radiators, outside of the initial quote?

No just €600 for the door itself which was invoiced separately by the carpenters McAnarneys a few months after closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

How long was it? Was it recently?

Just because I was asked for these 350 euros out of the blue, when I was paying for my rear garden tap. What is annoying me is that they already knew about this extra money and they went ahead without checking if we were OK with it, even when we had a quote for these doors/wall for almost 2 months now.

When we call ballymore, they apologised a thousand times, as they only start charging these extra quid recently. But now I wonder what extra cost will I have until the house is finished.

OrdeP wrote: »
    How long was it? Was it recently?

Just because I was asked for these 350 euros out of the blue, when I was paying for my rear garden tap. What is annoying me is that they already knew about this extra money and they went ahead without checking if we were OK with it, even when we had a quote for these doors/wall for almost 2 months now.

When we call ballymore, they apologised a thousand times, as they only start charging these extra quid recently. But now I wonder what extra cost will I have until the house is finished.

They have to tell you if they are just starting to charge. I don't think you have to pay for that. Talk to your Solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amit8feb

All, some how forget to ask the builder to include an additional hand shower together with the fixed one (rain shower). House is ready now and the builder is not ready to make any changes, does someone has any recommendation and associated cost. Thanks :)

Question regarding changes.

Our house is scheduled to be ready for May ( so expecting June/July). We just bought one of the last 4 beds left from the previous phase so have a much shorter wait until our house is ready, but im wondering if that means we are too late to make changes.

-Is it too late to request changes based on your experience? (position of tv connections in living room, cat 6 & RJ45 connectors, & shower on a hose rather than the rain shower).

-do you contact the developer directly to make changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mandy662

Congrats on house! I was wondering the same about making changes to houses bought quite late in the phase

Just out of curiosity, when are contracts signed after giving over the 5k if house is supposed to be ready in may?

mandy662 wrote: »
    Congrats on house! I was wondering the same about making changes to houses bought quite late in the phase

Just out of curiosity, when are contracts signed after giving over the 5k if house is supposed to be ready in may?

I think it's supposed to be 21 days hard to remember now. But in reality, I think it took a little under a month and a half for me.

For the houses in RCP I recommend to shop around for electricity provider - you can save up to 20% on the bill, especially if your contract is coming to an end.
    I can PM you the contact to the guy who can take you through details.

Please PM me the details.

• Advertisement

mandy662 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity,  when are contracts signed after giving over the 5k if house is supposed to be ready in may?
    Mandy, Fret, Tom in Ballymore is who you should ask about changes he will let you know if you can still do them.
    His e-mail is <mod snip: please share contact info via pm>

In relation to Kitchens and the lack of response from the provider, I complained to Ballymore and they got on to them, After that I got what I needed very quickly. I hope this helps other people.

I can confirm that we (Phase 2 Herron) did not have to pay for the archway between the sitting room and Kitchen. However, we were contacted after the fact by Mcinery seeking payment for Doors? After informing them we received no doors they went away. I got the impression they always intended to charge for all these works but due to their own feiclessness didn't manage it.

All the same, if you have a quote from Ballymore to do it for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dovetail

I'm not up to date with the posts about internet for Royal Canal Avenue. Virgin Media just told me that they are not able to provide service to this address for now. I contacted Eir asking about broadband only rates and they told me that I must first take out phone line rental before they can tell me if they can provide internet to my address. I think this was a bit odd. Has anybody on Royal Canal Avenue had any success with getting connected to a service provider? if yes, which provider? thanks.

dovetail wrote: »
    I'm not up to date with the posts about internet for Royal Canal Avenue. Virgin Media just told me that they are not able to provide service to this address for now. I contacted Eir asking about broadband only rates and they told me that I must first take out phone line rental before they can tell me if they can provide internet to my address. I think this was a bit odd. Has anybody on Royal Canal Avenue had any success with getting connected to a service provider? if yes, which provider? thanks.

I'm on Royal canal avenue. It was a mighty saga indeed. The Eircom guys gave completely contradictory information to me. I first had to get a telephone line, then I had to get 8 Meg ADSL, and as soon as that was wired up, they told me I could get 100Meg Fiber (VDSL) Engineer will be out this week. In total we had KN engineers out 5 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi

I contacted Vodafone and they couldn't find details in the system of our house (naturally as its new) so I gave them the neighbours addresses and they could see speeds of 100Mb available so I "think" we should be able to get connected shortly. I think at this point they contact Eir to make the line to my house active. I have booked in to get Vodafone BB and TV. So just a question for anyone already setup.
    When the engineer comes out assuming the connection to the front porch is live, where do they connect the modem? Is the connection in the hallway the one that's connected out to the outside porch?
    The reason I ask is because I will then want to connect the Modem directly to the cables in the utility room. I have already terminated some of the cables in the utility room with rj45 connector plugs, but I might hold off till the broadband is installed.
    But my main question is where the "master phone in" line connection is located in the house generally. Im assuming its not one of the connections in the utility room

Alternatively if we go with Virgin my understanding is everything comes in on the one coaxial cable, so again just wondering how the engineer knows which is the master cable in.. or is this in the hall downstairs

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

Assuming your place is wired similarly to ours, you put the modem in your utility room. There is one set of wires which runs from the white plastic box outside into the utility room, all the other wires run to living rooms and bedrooms. So having the modem here can service all the other rooms with a wired connection. the engineer will go into the white box outside and connect you up here.

• Advertisement

minkey wrote: »
    Hi

I contacted Vodafone and they couldn't find details in the system of our house (naturally as its new) so I gave them the neighbours addresses and they could see speeds of 100Mb available so I "think" we should be able to get connected shortly. I think at this point they contact Eir to make the line to my house active. I have booked in to get Vodafone BB and TV. So just a question for anyone already setup.
    When the engineer comes out assuming the connection to the front porch is live, where do they connect the modem? Is the connection in the hallway the one that's connected out to the outside porch?
    The reason I ask is because I will then want to connect the Modem directly to the cables in the utility room. I have already terminated some of the cables in the utility room with rj45 connector plugs, but I might hold off till the broadband is installed.
    But my main question is where the "master phone in" line connection is located in the house generally. Im assuming its not one of the connections in the utility room

Alternatively if we go with Virgin my understanding is everything comes in on the one coaxial cable, so again just wondering how the engineer knows which is the master cable in.. or is this in the hall downstairs

Many Thanks

Unless you tell them other wise the KN Network engineer will install the modem in your hall. He/She will fit a DSL like the one below where there is a blank panel in the hallway. Our electrician was telling us some of the other new houses in RCP had been connected up like this. So, be sure to be there and be sure to tell him to install the slitter in the utility run and make a connection in the hall.

http://www.electrical-contractor.net/Forum/International/R0010796.JPG

Note: Virgin is 100% not an option anywhere in the new part of the development.

nordstrom wrote: »
    Assuming your place is wired similarly to ours, you put the modem in your utility room. There is one set of wires which runs from the white plastic box outside into the utility room, all the other wires run to living rooms and bedrooms. So having the modem here can service all the other rooms with a wired connection. the engineer will go into the white box outside and connect you up here.
    I have discussed this with the electrician who is wiring the hose, The internet connection from outside terminates in the hall, There is a loop from there into the utility room, You need some one to come in to make that loop active, then you can have your modem in the utility room. I have a person lined up to do this, To make all of the points in the house active and to fit a switch in the utility room to manage all of the connections.

Has anyone had kitchen changes completed by Fitzgerald Kitchens, If so when did you pay for the changes?

They have asked me to pay up front before the work is done and it is snagged, What have other peoples experience been? I don't like paying for work upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

I have discussed this with the electrician who is wiring the hose, The internet connection from outside terminates in the hall, There is a loop from there into the utility room, You need some one to come in to make that loop active, then you can have your modem in the utility room. I have a person lined up to do this, To make all of the points in the house active and to fit a switch in the utility room to manage all of the connections.

Ours goes straight to the utility room, I opened up the socket in the hall there now and there's 2 wires in there not joined up. It does make sense that it would go through the hall so now I'm confused. Anyway a switch in the utility room will do the trick for you.

nordstrom wrote: »

Ours goes straight to the utility room, I opened up the socket in the hall there now and there's 2 wires in there not joined up. It does make sense that it would go through the hall so now I'm confused. Anyway a switch in the utility room will do the trick for you.
    If you have not had some one out to put the right connections on then it is probably only wired as a phone line and not for internet / Networking

• Advertisement
Advertisement