Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    How was the interview?
    I'm having mine in March.

Glad you got a date!

Interview(s) went OK. Its hard to tell as they give nothing away although I did get a "Oh Wow" when one of them spotted something on my CV which was a positive sign!

They explained that for Dublin anyway, the drivers jobs are for DART or the DMUs only not locomotives.

I am still waiting for the OK from the CIE doctor so I could still be out the running regardless of how I did in the interview. Hope to hear from them next week.

One other thing they said was that successful applicants are put on a panel. There should be a driver training course starting in March and it will be first come, first served.

So if you have holidays booked this summer/need to give a months notice and cant start on the date they give you might need to wait until the next class. That is one thing I have in my favor. I only need to give a weeks notice and I never take leave until its forced on me! (usually get the whole of Dec and Jan off!)

We will see what happens anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

I'm away on holidays the day after I'm due to interview so that worked out nicely. it would have horrible having to think about the interview during the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

prinzeugen wrote: »
    One other thing they said was that successful applicants are put on a panel. There should be a driver training course starting in March and it will be first come, first served.

So if you have holidays booked this summer/need to give a months notice and cant start on the date they give you might need to wait until the next class. That is one thing I have in my favor. I only need to give a weeks notice and I never take leave until its forced on me! (usually get the whole of Dec and Jan off!)

We will see what happens anyway!

Thanks for this. Have you any idea if it was dublin or regional training?

annor99 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Have you any idea if it was dublin or regional training?

Dublin

• Advertisement

I'm away on holidays the day after I'm due to interview so that worked out nicely. it would have horrible having to think about the interview during the holiday.

Best of luck and keep us posted! The fact we got to the interview stage is an achievement!

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Best of luck and keep us posted! The fact we got to the interview stage is an achievement!

Will do.
    Any idea of a rough number of how many would be interviewing Vs how many roles they are offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rebellad 1970

Just got email asking if cork candidates would be interested in dublin based role,I would but I'd be living in my car I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just got email asking if cork candidates would be interested in dublin based role,I would but I'd be living in my car I'd say...

It's hilarious they even have the gormlessness to ask that in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rebellad 1970

Ya ...seems strange I didn't think they'd have a problem filling Dublin based roles

• Advertisement

Any idea of a rough number of how many would be interviewing Vs how many roles they are offering?

No idea.

Did they mention a start date? Its madness that they are offering people from Cork roles in Dublin.

If they are desperate then they should get back to some of the people in Dublin that have done the Interviews etc recently first.

In the interview, do they specifically ask about the 5 or 6 questions we answered in the previous phase.

I can't remember what the questions and answers were, but it would be nice to re read my answers now so I could prepare for the interview.

In the interview, do they specifically ask about the 5 or 6 questions we answered in the previous phase.

I can't remember what the questions and answers were, but it would be nice to re read my answers now so I could prepare for the interview.

Yes. That is in the first interview but they run through your answers again before you reply. If you can think of a better example than you gave in phase 2 then you can change them.

The second interview is very similar. Give an example of when you did xx

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mojo Risin

Hey all, I had my interview for driver position yesterday. Hard to tell how it went, I think fairly well.
    Can anyone tell me how soon after their interview did you hear back from them on whether successful or not?
    And if you were offered a place on a training course how much notice did you get?
    Cheers in advance

Mojo Risin wrote: »
    Hey all, I had my interview for driver position yesterday. Hard to tell how it went, I think fairly well.
    Can anyone tell me how soon after their interview did you hear back from them on whether successful or not?
    And if you were offered a place on a training course how much notice did you get?
    Cheers in advance

Congrats. Hopefully you'll hear soon. Person I know who got offered starting place was given about a week notice which they couldn't do at the time. Can't remember how long after interview they were offered place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 albame

Have you had a medical yet? I am waiting to hear back on the interview from 2 weeks ago. Some people had a medical before the interview. Don't know if I am still in with a chance or not.

albame wrote: »
    Have you had a medical yet? I am waiting to hear back on the interview from 2 weeks ago. Some people had a medical before the interview. Don't know if I am still in with a chance or not.

No they told me next step would be the medical. They also says that the March training class was pretty much full, so there's another planned for starting April and another later in the year. It's first come first served off the panel. Yeah I heard some people got called for medical before actual interview, I think that was just due to scheduling time and available times etc and maybe they were pushing to fill the March training. Hopefully hear something back for April training! Good luck!
    What did you think of the interviews?

Congrats. Hopefully you'll hear soon. Person I know who got offered starting place was given about a week notice which they couldn't do at the time. Can't remember how long after interview they were offered place.

Cool thanks, yeah that's what I'm kinda worried about, not getting much notice for starting the training, I'd have to give 4 weeks. Anyway nice problem to have I suppose! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11 albame

What did you think of the interviews?

They were very nice. I was nervous going in. Didn't read back over the personality form. The main interview ran a little over, which I guess is a good sign. They did chat to me about the training course - March, April and I think Laura said; one over the summer and one in autumn.

They never mentioned the medical to me but I have read about it here... hopefully we hear back soon,,, best of luck either way

They were very nice. I was nervous going in. Didn't read back over the personality form. The main interview ran a little over, which I guess is a good sign. They did chat to me about the training course - March, April and I think Laura said; one over the summer and one in autumn.

They never mentioned the medical to me but I have read about it here... hopefully we hear back soon,,, best of luck either way

Cheers, good luck you too

• Advertisement

Didn't read back over the personality form.

They did not go through it? "The computer says you are a xxx at this, Do you agree?" questions?

While I know we are all going for the limited places on the same job, might I suggest that we share timescales etc.

The interview/medical dates are all over the place but if anyone gets an offer could you let the rest of us know? It might give us an idea of where we stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

I got an email on 18th Feb 2020 to see if I was interested in a Dublin role. Having not heard anything since I passed stage 2 last year and was told they are concentrating on Dublin only for now, I was surprised to say the least. Unfortunately Dublin doesn't suit me at all. Best of luck to those that get through. Would have loved to be a train driver.

The waiting is the hard part..
    Tell us how we did!! Panel or not.

DarkJ wrote: »
    I got an email on 18th Feb 2020 to see if I was interested in a Dublin role. Having not heard anything since I passed stage 2 last year and was told they are concentrating on Dublin only for now, I was surprised to say the least. Unfortunately Dublin doesn't suit me at all. Best of luck to those that get through. Would have loved to be a train driver.

Can I ask where you had selected as your choice?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

Can I ask where you had selected as your choice?
    Thanks

Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Hey guys. Haven’t been hear for a few months. Just got an email inviting me to Phase 1 Paper and Pencil test. Applied for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jimmy113

Hey guys. Haven’t been hear for a few months. Just got an email inviting me to Phase 1 Paper and Pencil test. Applied for Dublin

Same here. It came out of the blue! I applied back at the start of this campaign and applied for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Same here. It came out of the blue! I applied back at the start of this campaign and applied for Dublin.

Very out of the blue. When you replied with your preference, did you get any reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jimmy113

Very out of the blue. When you replied with your preference, did you get any reply?

Just replied there a few mins ago. No reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Jimmy113 wrote: »

Yeah, exact same as that. They waited a year to send me this email and want a response by Wednesday!

Advertisement