Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Everyone that has posted here that has actually gone through the process had said it is urine only.

Bloods/liver is something you find on Google. They are not looking at that.

Furryglove is right though. When you get a medical they prick your finger to draw blood and thats for cholesterol etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Am i right in saying that if your cholesterol levels are bad you fail?
    Why would be? Higher risk of heart attack etc?

I've always wondered what my cholesterol levels are like. I don't have the best diet but am in my early 30s and reasonably fit although slightly overweight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that if your cholesterol levels are bad you fail?
    Why would be? Higher risk of heart attack etc?

I've always wondered what my cholesterol levels are like. I don't have the best diet but am in my early 30s and reasonably fit although slightly overweight

I don't think you will fail ,I'd say they would advise you on it and monitor you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

Urine, when employed you are subject to random drink/drug testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Everyone that has posted here that has actually gone through the process had said it is urine only.

Bloods/liver is something you find on Google. They are not looking at that.

They test your bloods, I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Furryglove is correct your urine and bloods are tested during a medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheShepard

Deedsie wrote: »
    Is it just a colour vision test or is it visual acuity test with each eye with the other covered etc?

both!
    annor99 wrote: »
    Can you share how you know this?
    Thanks

Talking to a trainer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Batman51

TheShepard wrote: »
    both!

Talking to a trainer for it.

Great, nice to have some info, I'm waiting on a panel, hopefully to be called for the next regional class. Hanging around with no information is no craic 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

One of the staff said that interviews will commence next week and run throughout February.

Has anyone done the medical yet? Some are saying they have been asked to do a medical before being interviewed?

As I said earlier I have the medical this week and I got notified today that my interview is early next month.

Batman51 wrote: »
    Great, nice to have some info, I'm waiting on a panel, hopefully to be called for the next regional class. Hanging around with no information is no craic 😂

Regional class is on in mallow! Where is your depot of choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

I know someone waiting on Limerick panel. They were unable to start in November. Any information if they will be taking on more drivers for Limerick?

Thanks

Am I right in saying that if you are successful at interview and medical you are placed on a panel?

Every few months there would be training where a certain amount from the panel would be invited?

Not sure about panels, there could well be, I got lucky and was the first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

Am I right in saying that if you are successful at interview and medical you are placed on a panel?

Every few months there would be training where a certain amount from the panel would be invited?

Not exactly too sure. The guy I know couldn't start in November so I'm presuming he would be on a panel if there is one. He waiting to hear if they need any more for regional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Anyone get a start with Revenue ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Furryglove wrote: »
    Anyone get a start with Revenue ???

I believe people have gone through to Medical checks and references check..

And some have received rejections. A couple of weeks ago.

I'm Waterford. Was due to start in November also, medical got put on hold for a day which prevented me being offered a start.

Anyone here in the current class in mallow?

I'm Waterford. Was due to start in November also, medical got put on hold for a day which prevented me being offered a start.

Yes...me!

As I said earlier I have the medical this week and I got notified today that my interview is early next month.

How did the medical go?
    Good luck with the interview!

How long after your last testing did you receive a mail about medical/interview?
    I completed my testing about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back. I

How did the medical go?
    Good luck with the interview!

How long after your last testing did you receive a mail about medical/interview?
    I completed my testing about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back. I

Cheers! Interview next week.

Aced the medical but have one wee thing that I have to get checked/certified by my own GP before they will pass me as fit.

I got the medical appointment 2 days after I did phase 2 and the interview date about another 2 weeks after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Aced the medical but have one wee thing that I have to get checked/certified by my own GP before they will pass me as fit.

I got the medical appointment 2 days after I did phase 2 and the interview date about another 2 weeks after that.

Congrats. Thats great. Best of luck in the interview.

Would you mind giving us a breakdown of the medical? A lot of conflicting information on the thread.

What did the vision section entail?

The medical went like this,

With the nurse -

Medical history, personal details etc
    Urine test
    Blood test
    Checks height/weight
    ECG
    Hearing test

With the Doc -
    Eyesight tests (3 different types of test)
    Mobility tests (bending etc)
    They have a listen to your lungs/check breathing
    They sit down with you then to run through everything/any issues etc.

The eyesight tests were 1, Looking into a viewer at letters & 3d images. 2, The coloured dots with numbers thing that is common 3, Traditional eye chart.

The medical went like this,

With the nurse -

Medical history, personal details etc
    Urine test
    Blood test
    Checks height/weight
    ECG
    Hearing test

With the Doc -
    Eyesight tests (3 different types of test)
    Mobility tests (bending etc)
    They have a listen to your lungs/check breathing
    They sit down with you then to run through everything/any issues etc.

The eyesight tests were 1, Looking into a viewer at letters & 3d images. 2, The coloured dots with numbers thing that is common 3, Traditional eye chart.

And was this section one eye at a time or both eyes combined?

Deedsie wrote: »
    And was this section one eye at a time or both eyes combined?

The test looking into the machine was with both eyes and the coloured dots/numbers and eye chart was one eye at a time.

Yes...me!

Very good. What's it like?

Very good. What's it like?

Great, good bit to learn in it but if you keep ticking over its not too bad. Doing a bit of driving now too.

Personally love it so far!

Great, good bit to learn in it but if you keep ticking over its not too bad. Doing a bit of driving now too.

Personally love it so far!

That's brilliant, fair play. Best of luck with it. If you hear any rumours about Waterford candidates or more training you might stick up a post here. Cheers 👍🏻

That's brilliant, fair play. Best of luck with it. If you hear any rumours about Waterford candidates or more training you might stick up a post here. Cheers ����

Same if you hear anything mentioned about Limerick depot? I may have missed my chance last November.

Hoping ill get a second shot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Heard (not confirmed) some newbies have or are about to start in Waterford for mentoring.

If that was their depot of choice and assuming they get taken on hard to see any major growth in services so would there be a need for 2-3 more medium term.

How IE have handled the process is a disgrace particularly in your case where you were offered a place but they failed to honor it because they failed to sort out the medicals. Suppose its typical IE standards!

Did you speak to somebody about your situation, one day late and you probably only missed a few boring introductions and presentations about how great the company is.

• Advertisement

How was the interview?
    I'm having mine in March.

Advertisement