Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diego Armando Maradona 1960 - 2020

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The German names from 82 were fantastic as well.

Horst Hrubesch
    Hans-Pieter Briegel
    Wolfgang Dremmler
    Ulrich Stieleke.

Playing in goal during a kick about I had to be Sepp Meier of course.

As long as you weren't being Harold Schumacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

We got good mileage out of the "different class" line in national school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Interesting that Jimmy said that the referee had been given an easy game to officiate by 2 sporting teams, AFTER the handball! Also, Maradona was kicked around the place for most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Hoddle was blatantly fouled in the build up to The Goal of The Century.
    VAR would have disallowed both of Diego's goals.
    A few English players could've got red cards too for fouls/assaults on Diego.
    The game has changed enormously since the 1980s.

I was watching the football over the weekend and was thinking how meh it all was in comparison to himself.
    Very little beating a man. No beating two men.
    Where is the trickery, sorcery even. It's all very bland and robotic by comparison... and yes, I am getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I was watching the football over the weekend and was thinking how meh it all was in comparison to himself.
    Where is the trickery, sorcery even. It's all very bland and robotic by comparison... and yes, I am getting old.
    Was it the English Premier League you were watching? I've no doubt that there was no dribbling in the English First Division back in 1986 either :D

• Advertisement

Hoddle was blatantly fouled in the build up to The Goal of The Century.
    VAR would have disallowed both of Diego's goals.
    A few English players could've got red cards too for fouls/assaults on Diego.
    The game has changed enormously since the 1980s.

The second goal was fine. The ref saw the tackle on Hoddle and said "Play on" as he had lost possession anyway. If he had not seen it then yeah possibly with VAR. Nowadays refs are too quick to blow up. Not fair to judge a game from 34 years ago by today's norms.

We can all go back over history and say VAR would have been disallowed x, y and z goal. Plenty of them. Starting with England's third goal in 1966 final that did not cross the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Horst Hrubesch
    Hans-Pieter Briegel
    Wolfgang Dremmler
    Ulrich Stieleke.

Playing in goal during a kick about I had to be Sepp Meier of course.

Pierre Littbarski was on that team too. I know his name is Polish/French but it sounds great!

Pierre Littbarski was on that team too. I know his name is Polish/French but it sounds great!

And in a desperate attempt to bring this back to something approaching the original topic, has there ever been a better name for a footballer than Diego Maradona's compatriot and team mate (?) Gabriel Batistuta?

I doubt it!

Horst Hrubesch
    Hans-Pieter Briegel
    Wolfgang Dremmler
    Ulrich Stieleke.

We are still talking football here right and not the German High Command?

The second goal was fine. The ref saw the tackle on Hoddle and said "Play on" as he had lost possession anyway. If he had not seen it then yeah possibly with VAR. Nowadays refs are too quick to blow up. Not fair to judge a game from 34 years ago by today's norms.

We can all go back over history and say VAR would have been disallowed x, y and z goal. Plenty of them. Starting with England's third goal in 1966 final that did not cross the line.

It probably didn't cross the line but no camera was able to prove this conclusively. They'd have to go with the ref/lino decision and award the goal (even though it was probably the wrong decision)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just watched the documentary last night.

Jeez it all went so sour after that peno. They really fcuked him over.

I wonder would it have been different for Diego if Napoli had sold him after the Uefa cup final, when he wanted to leave ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »

I wonder would it have been different for Diego if Napoli had sold him after the Uefa cup final, when he wanted to leave ?

Probably. Well no, absolutely it would have been different. By 91- Italy and Maradona were well sick of each other. Selling him after Italia 90 would have made sense but being the awkward fecker he was he probably would have dug the heels in to spite the Italians.

After Italia 90, the authorities zeroed in on him and him tests were no longer protected. A mutual feeling of disdain had taken over.

I am old enough to have followed football in 89-91 and read all the usual magazines (yes there was no internet or 24 hour coverage) at the time. Maradona was portrayed as just a ball ache who just attracted drama every week. There was injuries, not turning up to training, travelling late to away games, I can recall something about him turning up late to a European Cup game in Russia and a whole "will he won't he make" drama, not match fit etc etc. Napoli got knocked out early enough and that pissed people off.

Bottom line it was just drama after drama every week. Of course, in those days you didn't hear from the players so you only really got one side of the story. In fact, I cannot recall any positive article about him at the time. I still have all my World Soccer magazines from 1990 and I am sure Maradona contributed to much of the drama himself. It was constant negative coverage- was that intentional from the Italians? Believe or not Maradona was still playing most weeks and scoring.

Not like today where we have Messi and Ronaldo who are model professionals. Maradona was the only show in town in terms of superstardom status. Back then players had nothing like the protection they have now.

As John Aldridge remarked, back in the 80s a professional footballer lived in a semidetached and drove a Ford and was quite conceivably your neighbour on the same street and drank down at the local boozer. Double edged sword- players were more accessible but at the same time the likes of Maradona were just hounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Maradona was alright, but he was no Georgi Kinkladze

Maradona was alright, but he was no Georgi Kinkladze

Pfft. He was not even the best player to come out of Georgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Pfft. He was not even the best player to come out of Georgia

Ketsbaia, clearly.

Feared by advertising hoardings everywhere

Germans had great names too. I'm old enough to have gotten into squabble about who was going to be Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck when kicking around in the park during the 74 World Cup!!!

Schwarzenbeck was a hulking centre half with a nose like a pick-axe handle and the delicate skills normally found in such a player. (He played alongside Beckenbauer so he was the muscle to the Kaiser's finesse) Glamourous swashbuckler he certainly wasn't but what a terrific name!!

And here was me thinking Sebastian Schweinsteiger was the most German-sounding footballer ever!

And here was me thinking Sebastian Schweinsteiger was the most German-sounding footballer ever!

Former Wolfsburg manager Wolfgang Wolf was a favorite of mine

My vote is for Gunther Netzer

Former Wolfsburg manager Wolfgang Wolf was a favorite of mine

Neville Neville, you play in defence, Neville Neville, your play is immense, Neville Neville, like Jacko you're bad, Neville Neville is the name of your dad

(Song to the tune of rebel rebel by Bowie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Names ?

really.

Back on topic.

His goalscoring record was excellent.

1976–1981 Argentinos Juniors166(116)
    1981–1982 Boca Juniors 40 (28)
    1982–1984 Barcelona 36 (22)
    1984–1991 Napoli 188 (81)
    1992–1993 Sevilla 26 (5)
    1993–1994 Newell's Old Boys5 (0)
    1995–1997 Boca Juniors 30 (7)
    Total 491 259

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

As long as you weren't being Harold Schumacher.

Yeah, I had no desire to decapitate any of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

And of course the great Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not like today where we have Messi and Ronaldo who are model professionals.

Dodgy tax affairs and paying people to drop rape accusations. Good footballers though.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Names ?

really.

Back on topic.

Maybe worthy of a separate thread of their own? :)

Advertisement