Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

What should they have aimed for in your opinion?

I would not bother asking them .
    They obviously did not read the post or if they did ,they could not comprehend it.
    I did say hypothetical figures ,but they obviously do not know what that means

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If people can't depersonalise their arguments here (immediately), they won't be able to argue here at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

dor843088 wrote: »
    4% gross yield . Lol. Its "investors" like yourself and your brother who brought the property market to its knees last time. 4% gross yield wow .

No. I think its quite well documented what brought the property market to its knees last time.

And a 4% gross yield for a reasonably secure investment is a solid ROI in these times of ultra low interest rates.

Facilitating / being used by companies with aggressive tax planning and our actual corporation tax rate changing are two different things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

wassie wrote: »
    No. I think its quite well documented what brought the property market to its knees last time.

And a 4% gross yield for a reasonably secure investment is a solid ROI in these times of ultra low interest rates.
    :pac:

Gross not net. That's laughable.

That's in range for dividend return, which is 100% passive.

For real estate to be feasible, the yield has to be +7% IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Taylor365 wrote: »
    For real estate to be feasible, the yield has to be +7% IMO.

Particularly in light of the risks involved in an Irish context.
    Ireland is most probably one of the riskiest countries in the world for an investor to invest in residential property (from a regulatory perspective).
    An investor would be of questionable intelligence if they were satisfied with a 4% ROI

The system is setup to protect tenants- but the cost of this- is insane rent levels- which may not matter for all those on the various rent support schemes- but for those renting privately- they are picking up the bill for the cost of the legislation protecting tenants- and then some.

No good deed goes unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Particularly in light of the risks involved in an Irish context.
    Ireland is most probably one of the riskiest countries in the world for an investor to invest in residential property (from a regulatory perspective).
    An investor would be of questionable intelligence if they were satisfied with a 4% ROI

The system is setup to protect tenants- but the cost of this- is insane rent levels- which may not matter for all those on the various rent support schemes- but for those renting privately- they are picking up the bill for the cost of the legislation protecting tenants- and then some.

No good deed goes unpunished.

I dont think Ireland is worst in terms of risks, there are other countries in Europe where tenants are protected even more like France or Italy
    But definitely, renting out property implies huge risks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I dont think Ireland is worst in terms of risks, there are other countries in Europe where tenants are protected even more like France or Italy
    But definitely, renting out property implies huge risks

France has acknowledged the legislative imbalance and commenced with a reassessment of its legislation- particularly in cases where a property owner requires a property for personal use (and has given notice to a tenant- they can have the police attend an eviction for vacant possession within 24 hours of the notice expiring).

Ireland's 2 year+ overholding regimen is very much an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/two-turnkey-homes-for-sale-on-same-street-as-owners-leave-dublin-1.4360651

"Two turnkey homes for sale on same street as owners leave Dublin"

looks like its started already. Didn't think i'd see it in 2020 personally as most peoples working situation is all up in the air . Makes sense really, wish i could do it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

Wicklow benefits from strong autumn new home sales

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/wicklow-benefits-from-strong-autumn-new-home-sales-1.4362258

Two articles in less than 24hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/two-turnkey-homes-for-sale-on-same-street-as-owners-leave-dublin-1.4360651

"Two turnkey homes for sale on same street as owners leave Dublin"

looks like its started already. Didn't think i'd see it in 2020 personally as most peoples working situation is all up in the air . Makes sense really, wish i could do it myself

Can't comment on price/value, but owners of No 10 have done a cracking job on that house in my opinion.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

North Wicklow is essentially the exact same market as south Dublin. This is not a new phenomenon, it has been happening for years.

What that article really shows is that despite the talk of an exodus from the city to other areas, sales in the Dublin commuter belt are so far holding up well.

schmittel wrote: »
    Can't comment on price/value, but owners of No 10 have done a cracking job on that house in my opinion.

It's nicely done but it's basically a big apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Nicely done; whopper price:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

What's the story with this small cottage in Rathmines.

It stated it had received a bid of 485k for ages, then it stated it had received a bid of the full asking price of 525k,
    the auction ended, it went sale agreed and was taken off the market

Now it's back on again and stating it has a bid of 500k

It also has a viewing this Saturday 26th Sept,,

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/47-gulistan-cottages-rathmines-dublin-d06-e6c9

I like the concept of the Auctioneera website,,,,,,, but it's still not transparent,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Agree, kitchen looks great. If only it had a garden.... I think it could be a factor in decision to sell

What's the story with this small cottage in Rathmines.

It stated it had received a bid of 485k for ages, then it stated it had received a bid of the full asking price of 525k,
    the auction ended, it went sale agreed and was taken off the market

Now it's back on again and stating it has a bid of 500k

It also has a viewing this Saturday 26th Sept,,

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/47-gulistan-cottages-rathmines-dublin-d06-e6c9

I like the concept of the Auctioneera website,,,,,,, but it's still not transparent,,,,,

Either something was found in the survey or the buyers could not draw down the mortgage because one or both the buyers was in receipt of PUP-TWSS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Question about the PPR.. I'm looking at https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/ trying to find a house I had my eye on that went Sale Agreed. The house is not listed at the above site. Does this mean the sale hasn't actually gone through yet? Or could there be some other reason it's not listed?

Not trying to get my hopes up or anything :D

Edit: It went sale agreed maybe two months ago.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Question about the PPR.. I'm looking at https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/ trying to find a house I had my eye on that went Sale Agreed. The house is not listed at the above site. Does this mean the sale hasn't actually gone through yet? Or could there be some other reason it's not listed?

Not trying to get my hopes up or anything :D

Edit: It went sale agreed maybe two months ago.

It won't appear on the PPR until up to 44 days after the sale closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Balluba

I would not pay €645,000 for it. There are only 2 bedrooms. The kitchen is too clinical and it could be dangerous going down those stairs to the bedroom after a few glasses of vino.

• Advertisement

Correction: I now see that number 10 has 3 bedrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pansoul

Balluba wrote: »
    Correction: I now see that number 10 has 3 bedrooms

Not really - looks like they count the front reception room as a bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

awec wrote: »
    It won't appear on the PPR until up to 44 days after the sale closes.

I closed a sale last week , it appeared on the register today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"It said the multinational, whose headquarters are in Cupertino, California, had been able to use two shell companies incorporated in Ireland, with the agreement of the local tax authorities, to report Europe-wide profits at effective rates well under 1% – and as low as 0.005% in 2014."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jul/15/apple-does-not-need-to-pay-13bn-irish-tax-bill-court-rules

Am i correct in saying they paid 12.5% on Irish profits while simultaneously paying nothing on Europe wide profits?

A chunk of their profits were stateless, yes, and not taxed (yet), due to features of the US tax code.

These profits will eventually be taxed by the USA.

The slice of ASI and AOE profits that were attributed to Ireland were taxed at 12.5% by us.

The Commission argued that all of ASI and AOE profits should be taxed here.

cojomo2 wrote: »

Yes it's up to 44 days, it depends on how quickly your solicitor does the stamp duty returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

pansoul wrote: »
    Not really - looks like they count the front reception room as a bedroom

€645k for a 2-bed on the north side is delusional. No way they get it

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Balluba wrote: »
    I would not pay €645,000 for it. There are only 2 bedrooms. The kitchen is too clinical and it could be dangerous going down those stairs to the bedroom after a few glasses of vino.

I wouldn't either. My uncle owns one of those houses in between No. 3 & 10, won't give the exact address. Its a rental. They are poky enough houses even with the extensions. The gardens are tiny.

I don't believe they are moving because of Covid-19, they realise that the houses have limited space now as the families are growing. I observed No. 3 many times when it was been refurbished, alot of work went into it. You could buy a proper two storey house in the same area without an extension for less, refurbishing it & getting greater than 1,500 sq ft for less I'd say.;)

Good example here
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/68-home-farm-road-drumcondra-dublin-2732612/

cojomo2 wrote: »

You have a very efficient solicitor

Smouse156 wrote: »
    €645k for a 2-bed on the north side is delusional. No way they get it

2 small turnkey houses with tiny gardens guaranteed to make a killing during this mini-boom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

"It said the multinational, whose headquarters are in Cupertino, California, had been able to use two shell companies incorporated in Ireland, with the agreement of the local tax authorities, to report Europe-wide profits at effective rates well under 1% – and as low as 0.005% in 2014."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jul/15/apple-does-not-need-to-pay-13bn-irish-tax-bill-court-rules

Am i correct in saying they paid 12.5% on Irish profits while simultaneously paying nothing on Europe wide profits?

This. It's amazing how long we've got away with it but can't see EU tolerating those scams much longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement