Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

1191192193194195197»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭straight

Pitting dairy lads against the beef lads plays into the hands of larry and co.
    Divide and conquer?

My point exactly. Sick of reading that the dairy farmer should pay people to take calves especially when the reality is that we already are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

gerryirl wrote: »
    who are beef plan now.. whos going into the meeting on their behalf

Who knows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

As ever far to much attention on larry and co. They will do what ever it is they do. Seems they do it well.

How about what could we do?i certainly don't have maybe any answers. Collectively we the farmers have let our own selves down for years gone by.

Yes others have failed us too.
    Could i suggest we calve more cows down in the autumn so as to have somewhat less cattle approach 30 months of age in late summer/early autumn

Could government support the suckler farmer prepared to do this with a subsidy for the autumn calf??

This is just one suggestion. Maybe it wouldn't change anything?others will know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jjameson wrote: »
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b2aJjjz5t80UJ_gT3z8aGjHA

I screen shot this last year from face book. The ifa payed Jim power for page upon page of nothing when the truth can be established so easily with a bit of effort.

This is where it should start. A 3 mont Uk and European pricewatch of retail/wholesale catering value of Irish beef.

What is the advantage of that information, I questioned the same when Jim Power was doing it too. Unless you're going to build a factory it's a pointless exercise.
    Processors will still buy as cheap as they can and sell as dear as they can, same as everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

ruwithme wrote: »
    As ever far to much attention on larry and co. They will do what ever it is they do. Seems they do it well.

How about what could we do?i certainly don't have maybe any answers. Collectively we the farmers have let our own selves down for years gone by.

Yes others have failed us too.
    Could i suggest we calve more cows down in the autumn so as to have somewhat less cattle approach 30 months of age in late summer/early autumn

Could government support the suckler farmer prepared to do this with a subsidy for the autumn calf??

This is just one suggestion. Maybe it wouldn't change anything?others will know better.

Maybe we should ask what is the sacredness of the 30 month arbitrary date?

It would at least disarm the industry claim of high volume low margin. Back of fag box figures indicate a 100% gross margin.

Taking a plants net taxable profit and dividing it by animal throughput is ridiculous when every family baron member is a paid director or executive, every wage has been paid, every whimsical expense used. Jim power had absolutely nothing to go on. No information.
    Eg. A beef baron family had a horse with a local trainer a couple of years back. After a grade2 win a restaurant in Dublin benefitted to the tune of 5 to 6 k in a splurge for all involved. Corporate expenses. This is not uncommon.

So it’s a consumer issue as much as as a producer issue. Particularly when the consumers tax is “subsidising” the producer in time’s of particular industry profiteering.

To be honest, the badgering of meat plants that's going on would make me less likely to increase price if I owned one.
    Look at the lamb factories, no protests yet no worse than beef factories. Would beef factories kill all our cattle if it wasn't so attractive, it could be another case of farmers shooting themselves in the foot, They nearly ****ed up the beef trade last years.
    I spend foolishly now,, does that mean I profiteer on taxpayers money,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

wrangler wrote: »
    I spend foolishly now,, does that mean I profiteer on taxpayers money,

The last 40 years have repeatedly shown yes you will profit off the taxpayer to make good mistakes or practices of a very dubious nature if you are a beef processing business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Paunch
    No I do not think 4.5 is realistic, but present prices are not sustainable either. We need a minimum base if 3.9/kg. And the price to vary from there up. That is where it was 4-5 years ago and there was less messing with weights and bulls than now. However suckling is not viable much below 4.5/kg. But lads BSing about 3/kg next year is not helpful either and negotiation has to start somewhere.

Straight
    I do not think that dairy farmers should have to subsidize beef but a situation has been created where we have 1.5 million dairy cattle to be put through the system every year. Exports are only go to take so many. Panch has a dairy farm as well as beef. He has never answered what amount of calves he rests for his beef enterprise. There is only a minimal margin in beef at present prices it is not sustainable in present format.

Runwithme
    If we have learned anything it's that more subsidizing is not the answer. Autumn born calving adds too much cost into the system and is not viable. As well it will only happen on the Suckler side and numbers would be limited. With carbon footprint it downsizing the Suckler herd we need.

Wrangler
    The badgering of factories as you call it only started after the processor's started to drive price down last year and talked about 3.2-3.3/kg. Farmers drew a line in the sand. at 3.5. If processor's hat there way it would have been a lot worse. For all the BSing about market forces we are 150-200/head behind the UK all summer long this year. Processor and retailing interests will once again use Irish beef to pull price down

Jam
    You are right Brexit is the great gift to retailers and processor's. 4-5 years ago beef was above 4/kg for half the year and was only at 3.7/kg for a few months in the autumn. Now it never hits 4/kg. The retailer/processor cartel has extracted 40-50c/kg out of the price for themselves.

Slava Ukrainii

Paunch
    No I do not think 4.5 is realistic, but present prices are not sustainable either. We need a minimum base if 3.9/kg. And the price to vary from there up. That is where it was 4-5 years ago and there was less messing with weights and bulls than now. However suckling is not viable much below 4.5/kg. But lads BSing about 3/kg next year is not helpful either and negotiation has to start somewhere.

Straight
    I do not think that dairy farmers should have to subsidize beef but a situation has been created where we have 1.5 million dairy cattle to be put through the system every year. Exports are only go to take so many. Panch has a dairy farm as well as beef. He has never answered what amount of calves he rests for his beef enterprise. There is only a minimal margin in beef at present prices it is not sustainable in present format.

Runwithme
    If we have learned anything it's that more subsidizing is not the answer. Autumn born calving adds too much cost into the system and is not viable. As well it will only happen on the Suckler side and numbers would be limited. With carbon footprint it downsizing the Suckler herd we need.

Wrangler
    The badgering of factories as you call it only started after the processor's started to drive price down last year and talked about 3.2-3.3/kg. Farmers drew a line in the sand. at 3.5. If processor's hat there way it would have been a lot worse. For all the BSing about market forces we are 150-200/head behind the UK all summer long this year. Processor and retailing interests will once again use Irish beef to pull price down

Jam
    You are right Brexit is the great gift to retailers and processor's. 4-5 years ago beef was above 4/kg for half the year and was only at 3.7/kg for a few months in the autumn. Now it never hits 4/kg. The retailer/processor cartel has extracted 40-50c/kg out of the price for themselves.

What question have i never answered?

• Advertisement

Paunch

Straight

Runwithme

Wrangler

Jam

Do you not think its better to go into the meeting with realistic exceptions rather than telling/persuading people your going to get 4.50 and then even if you got 4 it would be seen as a defeat and probably rejected?

Look i agree that beef prices are too low and we should be getting 4 a kg, but what i want to get and the price that the market is willing to pay are 2 totally different things. Lets say factories paid a minimum of 4.50 kg - would we still be able to compete with Argentina or Uruguay on the world market? do we have reliable evidence that the global markets we are selling our beef into will pay 80 cent bonus for Irish meat?

There is no point in bringing up the Irish market - because it's irrelevant in the scheme of irish beef production

One thing i will say is that there is a certain "fundamentalist" type of attitude with certain people in these organisations (this is from what i see on facepain as opposed to on here so not aimed at anybody here) - the Beef Plan, IFOI and whatever spawns that have come out of them.

From what i can see they are intent on getting their own agenda through to suit there own needs under the guise of helping all. They are like a communist party or something like that, not there to discuss or debate with any reason - god forbid if you disagree with them, there is no debate only mudslinging with "jibes" of being IFA man or Larry puppet or the likes. They have a huge disdain/hatred for dairy farmers as if the calves that dairy farmers produce don't make great beef, they are willing to write/tell absolute rubbish regarding Irish beef just to promote their own agenda or their own little "niche" product, even though what they are selling is exactly the same as nearly every other beef farmer in the country. They would say anything to run down someone else's product - be it from Ireland or anywhere else in the world.

a dangerous self serving crowd if ever i saw 1

Paunch

Straight

Runwithme

Wrangler

Jam

Subsidies isn't the right answer to the problem but unfortunately it's the only answer at the moment.
    Talk of anything else is up there with the 4.50/kg. criticising IFA is alright but no organisation has done anything else worthwhile in all the kerfuffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭leoch

Yea wrangler but all other organisations dont have the factory government backing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Panch18 wrote: »
    Do you not think its better to go into the meeting with realistic exceptions rather than telling/persuading people your going to get 4.50 and then even if you got 4 it would be seen as a defeat and probably rejected?

Look i agree that beef prices are too low and we should be getting 4 a kg, but what i want to get and the price that the market is willing to pay are 2 totally different things. Lets say factories paid a minimum of 4.50 kg - would we still be able to compete with Argentina or Uruguay on the world market? do we have reliable evidence that the global markets we are selling our beef into will pay 80 cent bonus for Irish meat?

There is no point in bringing up the Irish market - because it's irrelevant in the scheme of irish beef production

The biggest issue is in 2014 as a example brazilain beef price to the farmer was 8.0 Brazil real kgs (2.40 euro a kilo) today Brazil beef price is 20.49 real kgs (3.20 euro a kilo), they have experienced huge currency losses to the dollar and euro over 50% of a devaluation but farmers are receiving over double the price they where getting in 2014 while we are getting 20% less, been part of a 1st world economy as a primary food producer is a bad place to be at the moment as our governments actively encourage zero inflation while they hammer third world countries and make their currencies worthless

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The biggest issue is in 2014 as a example brazilain beef price to the farmer was 8.0 Brazil real kgs (2.40 euro a kilo) today Brazil beef price is 20.49 real kgs (3.20 euro a kilo), they have experienced huge currency losses to the dollar and euro over 50% of a devaluation but farmers are receiving over double the price they where getting in 2014 while we are getting 20% less, been part of a 1st world economy as a primary food producer is a bad place to be at the moment as our governments actively encourage zero inflation while they hammer third world countries and make their currencies worthless

It was Brazil's Brazil's Gov't who hammered their own currency.

• Advertisement

leoch wrote: »
    Yea wrangler but all other organisations dont have the factory government backing

Why do you think that, is it because they don't abuse government departments or tell lies about them or even tell lies to them like Beef Plan do.
    Do IFA look soft because they're not thugs

Well if them thugs u keeptalking about had the gardi the ag dept and all the ministers, rte ,mii the revenue etc behind them backing them to the hilt then it would be very different indeed and they wouldnt need to be betrayed like thugs as u call them it would be the factories then getting frustrated do u not think???

Well if them thugs u keeptalking about had the gardi the ag dept and all the ministers, rte ,mii the revenue etc behind them backing them to the hilt then it would be very different indeed and they wouldnt need to be betrayed like thugs as u call them it would be the factories then getting frustrated do u not think???

Factories won't give in. They'd never stay in business if farmers thought they could block the gates if some farmer dreamt he got a wrong grade or price.
    Beef plan better get cute or they'll **** it up for everyone. They're so abusive now they're winding each other up.
    The level of subsidies won't continue if farmers keep abusing the government, plenty of hospitals, nursing homes, schools,etc need money worse than farmers at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The waters are fairly murky and far from black and white regarding the IFA. Wrangler is a antagonist and definitely not representative of local ifa here anyway.
    We were glad of the ifa last year during the high court injunction cases. They were probably the best, and most coherent speakers at the table as well.
    I concur with paunch on his commentary of the breakaway groups, some right head the balls with soapboxes and I think most of us that were at the gates don’t subscribe to any of them at this stage.
    The ifa would have the lions share of the protest I was involved in.
    It was a massive mistake that they hadn’t the leadership to step up officially when the momentum was there.
    They haven’t been able to muster such support in over 20 years and they’ll never manage it again I fear.
    They have never managed to muster support for a factory blockade in over 20 years and it is entirely understandable - https://www.rte.ie/news/2000/0117/5153-farmers/

The waters are fairly murky and far from black and white regarding the IFA. Wrangler is a antagonist and definitely not representative of local ifa here anyway.
    We were glad of the ifa last year during the high court injunction cases. They were probably the best, and most coherent speakers at the table as well.
    I concur with paunch on his commentary of the breakaway groups, some right head the balls with soapboxes and I think most of us that were at the gates don’t subscribe to any of them at this stage.
    The ifa would have the lions share of the protest I was involved in.
    It was a massive mistake that they hadn’t the leadership to step up officially when the momentum was there.
    They haven’t been able to muster such support in over 20 years and they’ll never manage it again I fear.

Antagonist..... because I tell you the way it is, a bit of reality.
    I foretold the way it was all going to go last year because we've all been there done that and know the outcome.
    The fact that you supported them last year, they still think they have that support, they'll get nowhere with their abusive carry on.
    Thinking they have that support they have done their best to undermine Irish beef across the Internet even directly writing to English supermarkets.
    If it's antagonistic not to agree with all that's going on and if it's antagonistic not to accept the criticism of hard working farmers in IFA (that are elected by farmers) , then I hold my hands up.
    With the off farm income and subs coming into beef farmers now I'd venture to say the farmers that are worried about the price of beef are in the minority, most have moved on to other enterprises that would be concerned

• Advertisement

I didn’t go out in support of a new group. I went with my neighbours and family because 3.45 a kg and a belligerent factory procurement manager put his chest out a promised 3.00 a kg by Christmas. And because I’m in the have not category of beef farmers.

The problem I suppose is that the “haves” in beef farming(who are the minority). dominate the industry.

Last year your endless tirade of antagonist nonsense would indicate my farm would be gone and the uk retail market would risk Brazilian beef and the inevitability of food scares, public vitriol.
    And of course the insurmountable Glut.

You do the IFA a lot of harm on this they should find a new hobby for you.

That's all lies for a start, I told you the way you'd be treated at the gates, My exact words on what the negotiations would achieve were 'not a lot' The whole thing did nothing only harm I tried to stop you making fools of yourselves.
    As for the glut you obviously weren't trying to sell cattle during the autumn.
    The 'haves' are the majority, even Corley has a massive SFP, If your farm is in beef a while I'd guess you have a good one yourself too as do a lot here that don't admit to it.

No lies. You write so much ****e there’s just too many pages to scroll back to bring the real nonsense really it to the Fore. But I will dig it up tonight because of that that slur. I am that “SAD”!
    The only ifa presidential candidate in favour of the protest won the election. The guys that look stupid are those that backed the wrong horse. Adam Woods!!!

The stats on Irish beef farming and sfp payments are widely known and your belligerent arrogance to acknowledge them doesn’t surprise me. You are with the “haves” and that’s your narrative.

I had 68 cattle fit or close to fit last October 1st. I didn’t buy into industry propoganda or that of a contingent of disgruntled ifa/ifj and sold from 1st week of January to 3rd week of feb at flat rates in excess of 40cent a kg had I given them away.
    Thanks taxpayer for the top up as well...
    But still f all made from them.

My sfp is around the national average and I can’t make any more of it but there’s a huge contingent of have nots with a an awful lot less.

I won't quote you my subs on eleven acres but my neighbour, a builder, with fifteen acres that used to rear a few calves to beef in the reference years gets 2400 euros and would've got another €800 on his beef cattle had he went for a bord Bia inspection, so excuse me if I don't see it difficult to get good subs.

Have you the benefit of a time machine? Ffs.

Sure that's why I pray to brussels everyday and say an odd one for Ray Mc Sharry too

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

This attitude annoys the f. K out me I have great subs and your a thick because you don’t
    Why should subs be based on what you did nearly 20 years ago system just looks after the big fellow
    Doesn’t do anything for people starting out or the lost generation
    And what about the people who farm with out
    Subs

This attitude annoys the f. K out me I have great subs and your a thick because you don’t
    Why should subs be based on what you did nearly 20 years ago system just looks after the big fellow
    Doesn’t do anything for people starting out or the lost generation
    And what about the people who farm with out
    Subs

I don't think I said that, but the effort to take our income from us isn't going to do anything to improve our opinion of yous.
    20 years is nothing, milk quota lasted over 30 years and we just had to suck it up, it's certainly not looking after the big fellow, mine is down about 30% + in the last 8 year. That money must be going somewhere, is it not new entrants.
    At the time I was setting my land young farmers were getting up to 300/ha entitlements just by renting land and they could sell the entitlements after one year. All those concessions to young farmers are being abused all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

I won't quote you my subs on eleven acres but my neighbour, a builder, with fifteen acres that used to rear a few calves to beef in the reference years gets 2400 euros and would've got another €800 on his beef cattle had he went for a bord Bia inspection, so excuse me if I don't see it difficult to get good subs.

If you farmed without subs what would you think of this statement

I don't care what you have in subs stop blowing
    as for an income I always thought you earned it
    system is very unfair if its based on what you did 20 years ago

new entrants.
    Not too many of them around average age is well over fifty
    I m considered young at 40

At the time I was setting my land young farmers were getting up to 300/ha entitlements just by renting land and they could sell the entitlements after one year. All those concessions to young farmers are being abused all over.

Is this not an example of how wrong this system is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Isn't it a great day today. 😎

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

With the off farm income and subs coming into beef farmers now I'd venture to say the farmers that are worried about the price of beef are in the minority, most have moved on to other enterprises that would be concerned
    I don't think I said that, but the effort to take our income from us isn't going to do anything to improve our opinion of yous.
    20 years is nothing, milk quota lasted over 30 years and we just had to suck it up, it's certainly not looking after the big fellow, mine is down about 30% + in the last 8 year. That money must be going somewhere, is it not new entrants.

Concessions to young farmers has very little to do with reduction in payments. National reserves are limited. Most reductions are due to reduction in CAP budget. This has been the main influence in reduction in payments. I say payments have reduced by nearer 40% than 30% since 2002.

This is where many fail to see the issue. there is no point in looking to the EU for payments to solve farm incomes. Any upturn has to come from the market. But as long as the imbalance in power stays there we will struggle to improve farm profitability.

Off farm income is a red herring used to blame profitability in the beef sector. Nobody will run an enterprise at a loss if it can be avoided. Neither are the large SFP around that were there that were there previously. Your builder neighbour with 2400 on 15 acres is getting 400/HA, that will be whittled away. Part of that payment may or may not have been stacked from rented or if a builder build on land. Over the next period all payments will be reduced to the national average.

I presume the 800 extra was from the slaughter schemes. These are useless they are one off payments to winter finishers keeping some of them in the game.

As for your attitude that Beef plans actions were a failure, they did steady the beef price last year and stop the slide. You belief that the processors won is deluded. They have been on the back foot since and political opinion now sees that there is an issue there. And as Gerry Adams once said ''they have not gone away''. There is a struggle with some infighting but they may emerge stronger or be moved into a radical younger organisation.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Maybe when sinn Fein take over next time they will shake up the cartels hopefully

Concessions to young farmers has very little to do with reduction in payments. National reserves are limited. Most reductions are due to reduction in CAP budget. This has been the main influence in reduction in payments. I say payments have reduced by nearer 40% than 30% since 2002.

This is where many fail to see the issue. there is no point in looking to the EU for payments to solve farm incomes. Any upturn has to come from the market. But as long as the imbalance in power stays there we will struggle to improve farm profitability.

Off farm income is a red herring used to blame profitability in the beef sector. Nobody will run an enterprise at a loss if it can be avoided. Neither are the large SFP around that were there that were there previously. Your builder neighbour with 2400 on 15 acres is getting 400/HA, that will be whittled away. Part of that payment may or may not have been stacked from rented or if a builder build on land. Over the next period all payments will be reduced to the national average.

I presume the 800 extra was from the slaughter schemes. These are useless they are one off payments to winter finishers keeping some of them in the game.

As for your attitude that Beef plans actions were a failure, they did steady the beef price last year and stop the slide. You belief that the processors won is deluded. They have been on the back foot since and political opinion now sees that there is an issue there. And as Gerry Adams once said ''they have not gone away''. There is a struggle with some infighting but they may emerge stronger or be moved into a radical younger organisation.

That builder didn't stack anything and I'd say that disadvantage payment would account for €600 of it.,
    I wonder at what price demand and abuse from farmers will processors say feck this and close down, I think you've said that they are making too much to walk away.

Maybe when sinn Fein take over next time they will shake up the cartels hopefully

IF SF get into power then Larry will be the least of our problems

I wonder at what price demand and abuse from farmers will processors say feck this and close down, I think you've said that they are making too much to walk away.

ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ€£

They cry themselves to sleep at night.

All the scandals, tribunals, regulations ignored, laws flouted and all they wanted was farmers to be friends with them.

Danzy wrote: »
    ðŸ˜ðŸ˜��

They cry themselves to sleep at night.

All the scandals, tribunals, regulations ignored, laws flouted and all they wanted was farmers to be friends with them.

They ignore all of that, but if they can't work at their price they'd be fools to stay around

Unfortunately off farm income isn't a red herring - but an actual reality

you only have to look at the buildings section of the journal - a fella with 25 sucklers dropping 150k on a shed for them, whilst having a nice 3 year old JD 100hp tractor to feed them, and your telling me they're losing money and the off farm income is a red herring. if logic and money came into it fellas would never see sheds like that - and its not just the odd shed either.

There is a large contingent running beef enterprises at a loss at face value Bass.
    Taxation is some of the reason, but independent income is why the big exodus from winter finishing, or beef in general is not happening.

The reason there is no exodus from WF is that it is too easy to do and the government bails them out every time. Winter finisher's, Suckler farmers and tillage are a protected species in the IFA and FJ eyes. Look at this year except for the good weather at the moment we would have all the cenarshauling and crying for the tillage farmers and a push for a bail out.

Look at the furore over suckling farming and winter finishing is the same. There are already lads planning to fill sheds by the way store prices are going know that another beam scheme will partially insulate them. It too easy to fill the yard of bread meal and other by products to load into a diet feeder. It the small lad finishing 20-30bullocks that is at that crack. The longer the protection racket continues the longer lads will do it.

Most of the lads at it are contractors or tillage farmers afraid of not having an excuse to start the tractor Christmas morning

Slava Ukrainii

Panch18 wrote: »
    Unfortunately off farm income isn't a red herring - but an actual reality

you only have to look at the buildings section of the journal - a fella with 25 sucklers dropping 150k on a shed for them, whilst having a nice 3 year old JD 100hp tractor to feed them, and your telling me they're losing money and the off farm income is a red herring. if logic and money came into it fellas would never see sheds like that - and its not just the odd shed either.

Lads spending that money on a shed for suckler's is an outlier. Most Suckler sheds I see for that amount of cows are 40-50k max before vat and grant maybe 21-27k net of vat and grant and 14-18k net of tax.

Ya I see lads at that crack with tractors but second hand is not easy to come by any longer in a smaller stick tractor. However again I see few enough around me at that unless tractor is used for contracting on the side

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

Wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

€3.65 for steers around this country next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭jfh

Usually sell stores but I sold a bullock for €1610, he was 760kg, I'm quality assured & he was under 30 months, can't help but think I'd have been better off going to the factory. Anyone do the maths for me please

jfh wrote: »
    Usually sell stores but I sold a bullock for €1610, he was 760kg, I'm quality assured & he was under 30 months, can't help but think I'd have been better off going to the factory. Anyone do the maths for me please

Not by a whole pile unless he was sitting in te mart 10-12 hours or was a u grade bullock. As an R+ he should kill from 410-420 kgs as an R+ his price would be 3.86/kg as you have no bargining power. At 420 he gross about 1620 euro. At present looking at some mart prices they are at or virtually at factory price. I seldom see a 100 euro margin on them at preset. Most now are bought by online bidders from the processors.

Slava Ukrainii

Not by a whole pile unless he was sitting in te mart 10-12 hours or was a u grade bullock. As an R+ he should kill from 410-420 kgs as an R+ his price would be 3.86/kg as you have no bargining power. At 420 he gross about 1620 euro. At present looking at some mart prices they are at or virtually at factory price. I seldom see a 100 euro margin on them at preset. Most now are bought by online bidders from the processors.
    Well I got 1560, but as he was 2nd prize winner he got another 50, he was in the Mart around 6 hrs before he sold so he'd lose roughly 15 - 20 kgs? Thanks Bass, feel a bit better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

760kg live weight, under 30 months & 2nd prize winner. Sounds like he was a u grade.
    Can often be hard to be happy with the mart too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

ruwithme wrote: »
    760kg live weight, under 30 months & 2nd prize winner. Sounds like he was a u grade.
    Can often be hard to be happy with the mart too.

A u+ bullock if fat would kill out at 58% fresh weight. Could have left him at 450kg dead. Would leave him at €4.09 A kg. So €1840.
    All depends on weather he was fat and graded a u+ which I’d imagine he would if a prize winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭DBK1

Cavanjack wrote: »
    A u+ bullock if fat would kill out at 58% fresh weight. Could have left him at 450kg dead. Would leave him at €4.09 A kg. So €1840.
    All depends on weather he was fat and graded a u+ which I’d imagine he would if a prize winner.
    You beat me to it, I was just about to post the same thing, the only difference I would have had is in the right factory a U grade bullock that size will kill 60%+. €1,850 is the minimum i’d be expecting for him if he’s a U grade.

Well lesson learned, always sell her progeny as stores, just ran a report on ibcf, she's breed 4u & 2 r. She's a 1star char cow out of cf52

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

What are base prices for cattle this week quoted 3.65 for heifers but see they were 3.85 last week is that correct

mickey1985 wrote: »
    What are base prices for cattle this week quoted 3.65 for heifers but see they were 3.85 last week is that correct

3.65 base means that a heifer grading R makes 3.85. Base at present is 3.65 maybe 3.7 next week. Numbers dropping and it not all down to the dry weather

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: And we'll call it a day on this thread in case the ISPCA start giving out to us about the hamsters and their working conditions.

New thread starting here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement