Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Did Dublin Get So Many Asian Taxi Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

These days 'asian' is code for Pakistani. Look at the 'asian' rape gangs in England, where are the gangs of Japanese men? Or the Koreans? Chinese?

I'm not familiar with this "code" that you speak of.

Asian to me is just that Asian.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It totally depends on what part of Dublin are you in. You'll be hard pushed to see a none white taxi driver at the likes of Raheny or Donaghmede taxi ranks for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This is lies
    No it isn't because I work in the pub where they have their nights out. And there's no way they are under the limit at 9am when I gave them a lock in till 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Does it really matter where they're from as long as they get you to where you're going.

As another poster has said it is an interesting shift.

From a zero base all of a we have a growing number of Asian taxi drivers.

Ireland and Dublin in particular is not a cheap country to come to and set up what with our much remarked on insurance and rental prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I dont really care who lives in ireland or where they are from but how do they get visas? Its an unskilled job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I dont really care who lives in ireland or where they are from but how do they get visas? Its an unskilled job.
    student visas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Yurt! wrote: »
    Taxi drivers are usually not exactly Rhodes Scholar candidates no matter what country you're in. Occasionally you get the odd-one with an interesting background /story.

I met a Venezuelan pharmacist driving one in Orlando a few years ago. He managed to escape the poverty of his own country and got to the states but his qualifications were not recognised by the yanks so he was driving for uber to send home some cash to his family.

imme wrote: »
    As another poster has said it is an interesting shift.

From a zero base all of a we have a growing number of Asian taxi drivers.

Ireland and Dublin in particular is not a cheap country to come to and set up what with our much remarked on insurance and rental prices.
    I agree with that completely. I think some of it is down to regulation. I don't know about Dublin but the Cork drivers I know say they're getting out because of new regs regarding disabled access/insurance etc. My town in Cork has a 24hr bus service now so the busiest time of the week isn't so busy anymore cause people can get the bus home now on Fri Sat nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I met a Venezuelan pharmacist driving one in Orlando a few years ago. He managed to escape the poverty of his own country and got to the states but his qualifications were not recognised by the yanks so he was driving for uber to send home some cash to his family.

Those things are very rare.

Most people working in professions like taxis and bouncers are as thick as pig****

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can put words in my mouth on Mondays and Tuesdays but never on a Saturday.

I said Asian because that's what I meant.;)
    Can you not see the difference between people from various Asian regions?
    That's kinda racist dude..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Driving a car safely is a skill just as much as using any other machinery is a skill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I'm not familiar with this "code" that you speak of.

Asian to me is just that Asian.

And aslan to me is cristy dignam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They're here to replace our medical graduates emigrating, only fair.

Some temp visas then they marry some poor trafficked girl from Eastern Europe.
    Once married they have access to all of EU, or maybe jump the pond to Canada/US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

The taxi company I use have drivers who all stink of fags and booze. They don't even ask when they light up. I just deal with it. And they're all Irish.
    I don't usually call bull****e on another poster,but for this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tuff Gong

I hear the taxi game is picking up, but others say it's dropping off.

biko wrote: »
    Once married they have access to all of EU or maybe jump the pond to Canada/US.

and if they can get to the end of the rainbow theres a pot o’ gold.

vandriver wrote: »
    I don't usually call bull****e on another poster,but for this...
    That's your decision and fair enough I probably should have qualified my post better as in I know the drivers so they feel more comfortable around me. But I'm not lying.

Once married they have access to all of EU, or maybe jump the pond to Canada/US.
    the girls are not all trafficked, some do it as a simple business transaction, some are young naieve and far from home but yes most of it seems to be controlled by gangs.

Makes me nostalgic for some old franco baresi footage on the art of defending

• Advertisement

the girls are not all trafficked, some do it as a simple business transaction, some are young naieve and far from home but yes most of it seems to be controlled by gangs.
    "Not all trafficked" I don't know your experiences or sources - but it kinda sounds like you're making light of a very serious issue that is getting worse all the time, silently condoned by many Irish men.

Or is the thinking that Ludmila is sitting in her flat in Vladivostok thinking:
    "Screw this, I'm going to go to Dublin and whore myself out and then marry Mohammed from Bangladesh."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The Irish moved to mostly huge English-speaking countries so it's only right the Asians move to this tiny island.

"Not all trafficked" I don't know your experiences or sources - but it kinda sounds like you're making light of a very serious issue that is getting worse all the time, silently condoned by many Irish men.
    making light of it? ehhh no, i'm not. I am directly connected with the Eastern European diaspora through several channels and i know the issue is serious. I also know not all the girls are trafficked.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Whatever happened to the 200 illegal immigrant taxi drivers that were working in Dublin?

Self deportation orders was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I far prefer Asian taxi drivers to our native chip-on-shoulder Dubs. Their taxis are usually modern and clean and they conduct themselves with professionalism and dignity. I also far prefer them to taxi drivers from a certain other country, but to mention the name of that country would risk accusations of racism. Go figure!

Yeah don’t mention the Nigerians/Africans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I hate that spicy BO smell off them, must be their diets but they're rotten. Other than that I couldn't care where someone is from or the color of their skin.

I've never seen a post look so much like the typical Dublin taxi driver spiel.

I'm not a racist loike bud, buh de smell ah de bastards... dey can't bleedin droive loike...

Yeah don’t mention the Nigerians/Africans.
    Nigerians are already Africans. They are not two separate things.

"Screw this, I'm going to go to Dublin and whore myself out and then marry Mohammed from Bangladesh."
    well Ludmila from Vladivostok has no more right to an EU passport that Mohammed from Bangladesh. calm down man, i'm not saying this isnt a real issue.

I also know not all the girls are trafficked.
    Suppose I will just have to take your word for since you have no sources.

The evidence of trafficking from Eastern Europe is overwhelming.
    And what really gets my goat is that the trafficking is done by their countrymen.

How can someone sink so low they sell their own countrymen and women? If I met a person like this I'd [redacted]!

• Advertisement

Slavs do it, poles do it

even educated fleas do it

Advertisement