Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Did Dublin Get So Many Asian Taxi Drivers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

biko wrote: »
    Suppose I will just have to take your word for since you have no sources.
    couldn't give a toss bud. can't provide links to the personal stories of women i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

well Ludmila from Vladivostok has no more right to an EU passport that Mohammed from Bangladesh. calm down man, i'm not saying this isnt a real issue.
    Sorry, when it come to trafficking and sham marriages I get a little upset.
    After all it's the lives of 1000s of women destroyed in Ireland, but not only here of course.

Ok, I'm calmer now. Back to how we need Asian taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

In general ... Irish don't want to do the job anymore .
    Long hours for poor pay .
    The powers that be have made the " Psv test " much more difficult .
    It takes a lot of studying to pass the test now .
    A lot of Asian drivers will buy a car to do taxi with , and go into business with another Asian .... Halving the expenses .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

biko wrote: »
    Nigerians are already Africans. They are not two separate things.

Shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hughsie88

Hi there,

I see this thread is fairly old but seems most relevant. I would like to report a taxi driver who appeared drunk or high (slurring his words) and who made numerous inapproriate sexual comments and racist slurs. He didn’t have any ID up and was white Irish. I reported this incident to the guards on the night. They said they unfortunately couldn’t do much and to report him to taxi authority. I was a woman on my own and cried incessantly once I got out of the car. I was so scared. He dropped me to my home so I am worried that he can identify me if I complain him to the taxi authority. Does anybody know if there are controls in place so the taxi driver cannot identify the passenger that complains?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I far prefer Asian taxi drivers to our native chip-on-shoulder Dubs. Their taxis are usually modern and clean and they conduct themselves with professionalism and dignity. I also far prefer them to taxi drivers from a certain other country, but to mention the name of that country would risk accusations of racism. Go figure!

I do not like the way Irish taxi drivers asking you your personal biz. Dropping hints to see it you are racist so they can unmask their inner KKK Imperial Wizard or eyeing the sexy lady I am with.

Some Irish drivers are nice it must be said. Not to tar them all with the same brush.

I also think the long hours make a lot of taxi drivers mentally ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If he did not have ID displayed you should have got out of the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Hughsie88 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I see this thread is fairly old but seems most relevant. I would like to report a taxi driver who appeared drunk or high (slurring his words) and who made numerous inapproriate sexual comments and racist slurs. He didn’t have any ID up and was white Irish. I reported this incident to the guards on the night. They said they unfortunately couldn’t do much and to report him to taxi authority. I was a woman on my own and cried incessantly once I got out of the car. I was so scared. He dropped me to my home so I am worried that he can identify me if I complain him to the taxi authority. Does anybody know if there are controls in place so the taxi driver cannot identify the passenger that complains?

If your making a complaint you will need to get in touch with the NTA .
    They will post you out a form .
    Did you get the REG/ make / model / or colour of taxi ?
    Did you ask for a receipt ?
    Do you receive a receipt ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

A lot of 'asian' people do have that curry smell though.

Darn it. I eat a lot of really good home made curries and now I bet I too have that spicy B.O. :( I have been going around all these years like a blooming French person who thinks they are chic but not knowing their breath reeks of garlic. I also drink a lot of spicy chai which probably compounds the issue. How can I ever leave the house confidently again? :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

It seems that the old indigenous Irish Taximan has been pushed out of the industry.

• Advertisement

These days 'asian' is code for Pakistani. Look at the 'asian' rape gangs in England, where are the gangs of Japanese men? Or the Koreans? Chinese?

I can see grooming gangs becoming a problem in the Irish Taxi industry.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/plans-cctv-taxis-tackle-grooming-14415783

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Gynoid wrote: »
    Darn it. I eat a lot of really good home made curries and now I bet I too have that spicy B.O. :( I have been going around all these years like a blooming French person who thinks they are chic but not knowing their breath reeks of garlic. I also drink a lot of spicy chai which probably compounds the issue. How can I ever leave the house confidently again? :(:(

Just order a Free Now, it's simple

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I wanna know why they all appear to work for Dominoes, 4 Star and Apache pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Yurt! wrote: »
    Taxi drivers are usually not exactly Rhodes Scholar candidates no matter what country you're in. Occasionally you get the odd-one with an interesting background /story.

I used to get a chap who a technician in Team Aer Lingus and could tell me all about aircraft maintenance. Took voluntary redundancy a year before the place shut. Back then the Irish Independent would blast SIPTU at every opportunity but he gave me his side :)

Another worked for Bombardier up North. And one was studying law in DIT and wanted to work in the probation service

A lot of them I found was retired from the Defence forces and most of them had stories of the Lebanon.

Plenty of highly skilled and interesting taxi drivers out there which you say yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hughsie88 wrote: »
    Hi there,

old thread you say?

The thread is brand new.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with your post however.

Your issue is catered for here:
    https://www.transportforireland.ie/support/taxi-compliments-complaints/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Omackeral wrote: »
    I wanna know why they all appear to work for Dominoes, 4 Star and Apache pizza

Yes, a lot of 'students' have taken to working for pizza companies in the recent past.

Their vehicle of choice was the Toyota Yaris circa year 2000, which the convents must have been getting rid of.

How a non Irish student gets reasonably priced insurance on a 20-year old car is something of a mystery to me.

Insurance companies don't offer reasonably priced insurance to resident Irish people for vehicles of that age IMO.

imme wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of 'students' have taken to working for pizza companies in the recent past.

Their vehicle of choice was the Toyota Yaris circa year 2000, which the convents must have been getting rid of.

How a non Irish student gets reasonably priced insurance on a 20-year old car is something of a mystery to me.

Insurance companies don't offer reasonably priced insurance to resident Irish people for vehicles of that age IMO.

They don't have Insurance just like the rickshaw drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Taxi drivers have to bring in their car to get checked,every year ,
    is it in good conditionetc ,they get the taxi meter checked to.
    They do an exam, to get a license to drive a taxi, eg how would you get from
    talbot street to finglas etc go from street x to the mater hospital etc
    Anyone who has a drivers licence can apply to drive a taxi.
    You can earn good money, if you work nights and weekends .
    every taxi driver has to Display his id, with his name and photo on it,in the car.
    Each taxi has a unique taxi no .Officials, carry out random checks at taxi ranks, to check is the taxi insured,doe,s the driver have a drivers license etc.

https://www.psv.ie/carriage-office/
    Like any business in ireland there,ll be a lot of non nationals working in it.
    i find all the taxi,s i used the drivers were polite and professional .
    the time is passed where all the taxi drivers were irish born.

I have not noticed a lot if asian taxi drivers.
    i usually use the luas or dublin bus if i need to travel a long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭KaneToad

mfceiling wrote: »
    I got into a taxi in Ranelagh. Young enough Asian lad driving it. "Terenure please".....blank stare. Repeated myself twice and nothing. I wanted to hop out and get another one but herself wanted to be out of the cold so hand signals from me got him there.
    Ranelagh, Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure...that's it.
    Surely that lad didn't pass any sort of a test?

Is there a test of location knowledge? I didn't think we had one in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Almost 99% of the taxi drivers over here are Asian. I use uber so maybe that's why. Tis great.

Have seen the big black cabs and more white guys driving them but still nowhere near the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭HBC08

RasTa wrote: »
    Almost 99% of the taxi drivers over here are Asian. I use uber so maybe that's why. Tis great.

Have seen the big black cabs and more white guys driving them but still nowhere near the majority.

Good hard facts there."Almost 99%" so about 98%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

HBC08 wrote: »
    Good hard facts there."Almost 99%" so about 98%?

You've obviously never been to Bolton

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭pgj2015

KaneToad wrote: »
    Is there a test of location knowledge? I didn't think we had one in this country.

yes there is. you have to get 75% correct to pass the area knowledge part of the test.

Advertisement