Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Did Dublin Get So Many Asian Taxi Drivers

Options
  • 25-01-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

There was a taxi driver protest in Dublin on Thursday.

It was to protest at the app FreeNow increasing their share of trips to 15%.

The independent and mirror newspapers featured photos of the protest.

The drivers pictured almost exclusively were Asian men.

Does anyone know where Dublin got so many Asian taxi drivers all of a sudden.

I don't remember it being a feature of the industry except for very recent years.

Does Brexit or the 'student visa' scheme have anything to do with this change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Asia would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

ed93129ddeb56a3f06b795af82df0d56.jpg

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

By "Asian" do you mean "Pakistani"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Asia would be my guess.

Definitely Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I've been in several cabs with South Asian taxi drivers where the face didn't match the license picture and quite frankly they weren't fit to pilot a milk float.

I'm not sure for a period of time was it possible to procure a taxi licence without having your visa paperwork in order so to speak. South Asians got their hooks into the trade in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

anecdotally from my experience as a frequent taxi user in dublin there has been a big upsurge in Pakistani taxi drivers and a decline in Nigerian taxi drivers

It's not only in the pale.
    I use taxis a lot and there are definitely many Pakistani now whereas a year or two ago there were almost none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I far prefer Asian taxi drivers to our native chip-on-shoulder Dubs. Their taxis are usually modern and clean and they conduct themselves with professionalism and dignity. I also far prefer them to taxi drivers from a certain other country, but to mention the name of that country would risk accusations of racism. Go figure!

biko wrote: »
    It's not only in the pale.
    I use taxis a lot and there are definitely many Pakistani now whereas a year or two ago there were almost none.

The immigration crackdowns of recent years in the UK have almost certainly led to many hopping over the water to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I far prefer Asian taxi drivers to our native chip-on-shoulder Dubs. Their taxis are usually modern and clean and they conduct themselves with professionalism and dignity. I also far prefer them to taxi drivers from a certain other country, but to mention the name of that country would risk accusations of racism. Go figure!

Don’t forget their fondness for the Prius! Nothing like a gentle ride home when you’re on the verge of heaving up on the leathers.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    and quite frankly they weren't fit to pilot a milk float
    i had to call the taxi company my work has an account with to make sure the pakistani gent who once brought me to work never did a job for us again. the man could not drive and it was an automatic. it was like being in a car with someone on their second driving lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Used to be all Nigerians but it's definitely mostly Pakistanis now. I presume the Nigerians ended up getting citizenship and other jobs or else just went on the dole.

Taxi drivers are usually not exactly Rhodes Scholar candidates no matter what country you're in. Occasionally you get the odd-one with an interesting background /story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anyone is better to the Dub taxi driver to be honest, some of the cars look like a cow has lived in them.....

Remember the government asked them years ago to buy a decent car and they all went nuts....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Does it really matter where they're from as long as they get you to where you're going.

Does it really matter where they're from as long as they get you to where you're going.

no it doesn't. its just an interesting demographic shift in the trade which people are entitled to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yurt! wrote: »
    I've been in several cabs with South Asian taxi drivers where the face didn't match the license picture and quite frankly they weren't fit to pilot a milk float.

I'm not sure for a period of time was it possible to procure a taxi licence without having your visa paperwork in order so to speak. South Asians got their hooks into the trade in any case.

I got into a taxi in Ranelagh. Young enough Asian lad driving it. "Terenure please".....blank stare. Repeated myself twice and nothing. I wanted to hop out and get another one but herself wanted to be out of the cold so hand signals from me got him there.
    Ranelagh, Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure...that's it.
    Surely that lad didn't pass any sort of a test?

Yeah it does.

No one wants to be in a car that stinks of BO or has some Christian preacher CD on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Qrt wrote: »
    Don’t forget their fondness for the Prius! Nothing like a gentle ride home when you’re on the verge of heaving up on the leathers.

Indeed. Infinitely superior to a clapped out 1996 Carina.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Taxistan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I hate that spicy BO smell off them, must be their diets but they're rotten. Other than that I couldn't care where someone is from or the color of their skin.

Yeah it does.

No one wants to be in a car that stinks of BO or has some Christian preacher CD on the player.

The taxi company I use have drivers who all stink of fags and booze. They don't even ask when they light up. I just deal with it. And they're all Irish.

The taxi company I use have drivers who all stink of fags and booze. They don't even ask when they light up. I just deal with it. And they're all Irish.
    i wouldnt stay in a cab with a driver reeking of drink and smoking a fag

Sue me.
    Are you Sue?

I hate that spicy BO smell off them

i cant believe you went there

i wouldnt stay in a cab with a driver reeking of drink and smoking a fag
    Neither do I. I'm only making the point that Irish cab drivers can be just as bad as Asian drivers.
    I walk out of the cab the second I'm not happy with the driver whether he's Asian or Irish.

This is lies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

biko wrote: »
    By "Asian" do you mean "Pakistani"?

You can put words in my mouth on Mondays and Tuesdays but never on a Saturday.

I said Asian because that's what I meant.;)

With Brexit they now turn their attention to Ireland instead

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/dozens-to-be-deported-after-using-fake-papers-to-get-taxi-licences-37887231.html
    Investigations into 134 foreign taxi drivers has so far resulted in a group of 55 of them having their residency status revoked, with 25 of the same group now subject to deportation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Why answering a different question to the one I asked in the OP?

I asked where did Dublin get so many Asian taxi drivers all of a sudden.

Go on have another try.

Advertisement