Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Yurt! wrote: »
    Chinese officials now urging people not to enter or leave Wuhan.

They're obviously taking this very seriously-a Wuhan ban ain't nothin' to f*ck with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Was there as much furore over SARS and swine flu can anyone remember? Like screening passengers and stopping flights?

Looking at the figures the deaths etc don't seem to much different to the normal flu?

Is the media really stirring this up or what?

Like there's talk of Wuhan being completely quarantined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Always China , why is it always in China this crap starts ?
    Ebola wasn't China, but yeah. To answer your question: Very high population density. 20% of the world's population. Lower legal requirements on health and safety measures generally.
    Was there as much furore over SARS and swine flu can anyone remember? Like screening passengers and stopping flights?

Looking at the figures the deaths etc don't seem to much different to the normal flu?

Like there's talk of Wuhan being completely quarantined
    Definitely comparable levels of media coverage. Screening measures are more available partly because of the previous outbreaks.

The media coverage is sort of okay. It's new, spreading quickly, and seems to kill a non-negligible fraction of those infected so far (~2.5% last figures I saw, but those are changing quickly). That's enough to warrant the kinds of measures from the WHO and the Chinese authorities we've seen so far. The total numbers right now are small in absolute terms, but diseases spread in an accelerating fashion - the more infected, the faster it spreads - so the absolute numbers aren't all that important to the epidemiologists. Right now it's worth the attention of the systems and experts that deal with these kinds of things. It is likely to peter out much like SARS and others, partly because of those measures to slow its spread while they try to figure out how to treat it. (E.g. if you catch ebola now, and get to a decent hospital quickly enough, you'll live.) There's a small chance it'll be a big deal in absolute terms - basically we can't know for sure yet. No reason to panic, but it's worthy of the coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This new update to Plague Inc. is pretty realistic, isn't it? They've even integrated it in to the CNN News app for extra verisimilitude.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The answer to all of these questions is Yes.

SARS in particular there was a huge fuss made around it.

At present there doesn't seem to be any indication that this illness is particularly more contagious nor dangerous than other strains of coronavirus.

The media loves to stir it up though by saying things like, "It starts like a normal cold with a cough and a scratchy throat". This gets people wound up and paranoid that the tickle in their throat is this new super virus and they're going to die.

Even statistics can be very misleading. SARS recorded 8,000 cases, of whom 800 died. 10% sounds like scary ****.

But you have to consider that's 8,000 recorded cases. People who felt ill enough to go see a doctor and whose doctors were concerned enough about it to send a sample to be tested. For all we know there could have been 1,000,000 others infected who just powered through it for two weeks and got better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I do remember with SARS there were screenings at airports around the world, they were using heat sensitive cameras to monitor passengers...
    and lots of coverage too....

I also remember this joke.

2 SARS bugs are walking back from the pub after having a few pints, one of them says to the other "Jaysus I'd f*ckin' murder a Chinese right now" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

3rd Chinese city now on lockdown (Wuhan, Ezhou and Huanggang). 20m total citizens.

The World Health Organization emergency committee were 50:50 on declaring a "global emergency" last night, so withheld.
    Will ikely do so when they meet again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Always China , why is it always in China this crap starts ?

Their perchant for massive corruption that ensures non existant disease control standards on farms, a tradition of 'wet markets' that keep wide varieties of live animals cheek to jowl for slaughter and consumption on site and their willingness to eat anything that moves, including raw bats (not even kidding) which are among the worst animals for driving disease contagion.
    And that's all without the utterly crazy stuff that happens there like 'pork speculator's using drones to infect heards with African swine flu so that they can buy cheap and sell high.

There's a reason Max Brooks 'World War Z' starts with an outbreak in a remote part of China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Apparently some quarters are putting it down to the eating of bat soup.jesus is there anything they won't eat over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Apparently some quarters are putting it down to the eating of bat soup.jesus is there anything they won't eat over there.

filthy kernts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What do you think hot wings are made off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I heard rats. Isn’t it year of the rat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

New in three cases in Scotland. its started.

An interesting article/excerpt on diseases throughout history, with some bits on the roles of animals.
    https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/the-arrow-of-disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My kids school just sent out an email titled "Health Announcement". Had a mini panic attack for a second thinking someone there had it but it was just general hygiene advise to prevent the spread of illness.

We've seen all this scaremongering before with SARS, swine flu, MERS, Ebola etc. I'm going to hold off on the anxiety for a while I think until we know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Apparently over 300,000 left the city in china thw day before the lock down and any number of them could be carriers, numbers effected wikl likely rise but im not sure it will reach swine flu levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I have no doubt that it's a real thing, but I find it surprising that there seems to be a political angle in the reporting. Its just odd how 'Chinese durty' seems to be the subtext in a lit of the articles.

Probably true in some regards, but just an interesting spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

According to rte, four and only being tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I have no doubt that it's a real thing, but I find it surprising that there seems to be a political angle in the reporting. Its just odd how 'Chinese durty' seems to be the subtext in a lit of the articles.

Probably true in some regards, but just an interesting spin.

It's improving year-by-year, but food preparation and food hygiene standards in lots of areas of China would turn your stomach. It's not unusual to see uncovered pig carcasses and pork products being hauled around on a scooter to its destination from the wet-market. Food cooked with gutter oil is still a thing.

I'm very picky about where I eat when I'm there, particularly in tier-2 cities downwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I think, I would be living off , bags of taytoes if I went there, one could always order just chips, but I would not touch meat products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

That could be the ordinary flu we are experiencing here, as it says , symptoms to watch out for, high temperature, sore throat, coughing, and that is what we have here, but it is flu, so could be mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Actually they've no idea where it came from according to the media though it's possible it came from snakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,671 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

goat2 wrote: »
    That could be the ordinary flu we are experiencing here, as it says , symptoms to watch out for, high temperature, sore throat, coughing, and that is what we have here, but it is flu, so could be mistaken

Bit of a coincidence considering where they have come from...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think, I would be living off , bags of taytoes if I went there, one could always order just chips, but I would not touch meat products

Honestly, in some countries like India and parts of China (rural and low-tier cities mostly), if you want to have a meal with meat - you're best off heading to the nearest McDonalds. You're guaranteed to have hygenically prepared food. Say what you want about Maccas, but they don't mess about with food safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Actually they've no idea where it came from according to the media though it's possible it came from snakes.

All the more reason to make sure there are no snakes on any planes anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Suspected case now being checked in Northern Ireland on a person recently arrived from Wuhan.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Honestly, in some countries like India and parts of China (rural and low-tier cities mostly), if you want to have a meal with meat - you're best off heading to the nearest McDonalds. You're guaranteed to have hygenically prepared food. Say what you want about Maccas, but they don't mess about with food safety.

No chance of a Big Mac in India :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There’s an Irish lad over there.

To where, China?

The food is fantastic. You'll have to swap Taytos for pringles though.

Terrific fruit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The lad has it sussed. The wisdom of youth:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Studies at the market where the coronavirus originated from, say it has come from eating snakes.
    The snakes became a carrier from eating bats and then the humans from eating the snakes.

Mustn't have cooked them properly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Economic migrant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Much ado about nothing.

Economic migrant?

You can go over there as some kid with a basic grasp of the english and become a great revered professor of language. It’s a bit dubious

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Much ado about nothing.

Wonder did some armchair expert say similar at the brink of the Spanish flu.
    Guess I can rest easy, thanks chief. Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Bobblehats wrote: »
    You can go over there as some kid with a basic grasp of the english and become a great revered professor of language. It’s a bit dubious

A good friend of mine did exactly this.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Bobblehats wrote: »

God help us.

I can imagine poor Chinese lads unable to use There, Their, or They're correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Economic migrant?

No, genuine asylum seeker apparantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Or you could just not eat meat and then not even have to worry about whether your food will make you ill.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    The snakes became a carrier from eating bats and then the humans from eating the snakes.

Mustn't have cooked them properly...

That’s some food chain to be top of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The lad has it sussed. The wisdom of youth:pac:

I dont know, the food to alcohol ratio in his supplies seems to be off. 10 packets of instant noodles and a bit of fruit to outlast a plague? Hmm..

5 citites in China now in lockdown (or with no public transport available): Huanggang, Ezhou, Zhijiang, Qianjiang and Wuhan.

Hubei Province (where Wuhan is) has alone reported 444 cases of coronavirus infections. All 17 deaths were reported from the province.
    Among the confirmed cases, 399 patients are receiving treatment in hospitals, with 71 in severe condition and 24 in critical condition.

Confirmed cases have also been reported from several regions including Xinjiang and Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
    Also US, Japan, S.Korea, Thailand, Singapore* and Vietnam* and S'Arabia* (Indian Nurse).
    *new.

All major international airports now with screening in place. CDC issues Level 3 travel alert.
    Many 'suspected' or ''under observation' cases (but none confirmed, until test results are returned) includes: UK, Qubec, Boston

The World Health Organization is reconvening an emergency meeting in Geneva on NOW:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIgiLN43M_Q&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The authorities are thankfully being meticulously careful. It is an unknown quantity as it is mutating.

So not a fuss about nothing

They are doing right and not overemphasising etc. No panic. it is reassuring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What does Greta think?

WHO decides it's still 'too early' to call it an emergency as of 23 Jan 1800hrs.

• Advertisement

God help us.

I can imagine poor Chinese lads unable to use There, Their, or They're correctly.

Might help if you have a ‘way’ about you. Like that fella from Instinct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What does Greta think?

How dare you!!!

If it ever got here, with our omnishambles HSE, we're screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

If it ever got here, with our omnishambles HSE, we're screwed.

I believe coronavirus drama is a complete over reaction.

I believe coronavirus drama is a complete over reaction.

Until a lot of people die, then it's the gubbmint done nuttin, they don't care about d'ordinary man

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement