Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hard to see anything other than a cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

opus wrote: »
    Decision coming this week I read.

D-day looming for 2020 Dublin Marathon

Tis done and dusted.
    They were right not to risk huge loss of money by commiting to suppliers for tshirts/medals/timing/event management.
    They would have been back as square one after all the good work since 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Hard to see anything other than a cancellation.

Would hold fire on a decision if I were them till End July

A lot can change in 3 months ...

Offer deferrals to drop field size and hold a no frills event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

youngrun wrote: »

Issue with waiting that long is that refunds are available from 9am on 3rd of June to Midnight on 16th June 2019. Due to the ongoing uncertainty there could be a huge influx of refunds which could leave them short of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

youngrun wrote: »

20 week training plan starts in early June. Think they have to make a decisive call by June bank holiday

If they can save some of the series events to keep some income then that's better then losing everything and it will generate goodwill

Looking like virtual marathons will be the only show in town for 2020.

Think I'll cover the DCM route mid to late summer for a change, hopefully on a quiet Sunday morning.
    Suppose it beats the freezing cold morning of an Oct Bank Holiday.
    Every cloud etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Think I'll cover the DCM route mid to late summer for a change, hopefully on a quiet Sunday morning.
    Every cloud etc.

That beautiful freezing cold of that Oct Bank Holiday......roll on 21...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Arsenium wrote: »
    That beautiful freezing cold of that Oct Bank Holiday......roll on 21...

Ive done 18 Dublins since 96 and there was only 1 cold morning. There were 2 very wet and windy day which I missed(00 and Sonia year 04) my first one in 96 was very breezy all other years were perfect or near perfect conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Ive done 18 Dublins since 96 and there was only 1 cold morning. There were 2 very wet and windy day which I missed(00 and Sonia year 04) my first one in 96 was very breezy all other years were perfect or near perfect conditions.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/1026/827110-dublin-city-marathon/

Number 0844 was it?? :D Did it start on O'Connell street?

I think 2015 was breezy too, at least that's what I blame my 8 minute positive split detonation on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Just wondering is there an archive that shows that route taking by the Dublin marathon every year since it started? I ran my first one in 2015 and each year since then so just curious to see the maps of the previous routes taking by the course for different years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Trampas

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/1026/827110-dublin-city-marathon/

Number 0844 was it?? :D Did it start on O'Connell street?

I think 2015 was breezy too, at least that's what I blame my 8 minute positive split detonation on ;)

Done everyone since 2012.

2014 was a blood bath if I remember. Ran a big pb in Rotterdam that April. Training went well. I knew the climb into ballyer than I knew I had 16 miles of torture ahead. Struggled around. Plenty of drop outs that year.

They weather in general has been generally great. I don’t remember a soaking once or even rain even though been plenty of times I wished for some rain to cool me down. I’ve started everyone one in a singlet. Gloves and hat been used a few times but they get thrown away every year.

I really doubt it will go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Every cloud etc.

You might see some marathons happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

18 degrees and humid before the start in 2014. Only got worse after that. They ran out of water too as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

yaboya1 wrote: »
    18 degrees and humid before the start in 2014. Only got worse after that. They ran out of water too as far as I remember.

I DNFed that day, my second marathon.

Looks like will all be DNS soon...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

Trampas wrote: »
    Done everyone since 2012.

2014 was a blood bath if I remember. Ran a big pb in Rotterdam that April. Training went well. I knew the climb into ballyer than I knew I had 16 miles of torture ahead. Struggled around. Plenty of drop outs that year.

They weather in general has been generally great. I don’t remember a soaking once or even rain even though been plenty of times I wished for some rain to cool me down. I’ve started everyone one in a singlet. Gloves and hat been used a few times but they get thrown away every year.

I really doubt it will go ahead

Dublin 2011 was my first, and I got lashed on! It was beautiful though- I was very naive, didn't pace myself well and suffered horribly in Clonskea, but coming in towards town was the most incredible feeling. The weather had turned miserable but the crowds were so dense and vocal. The route was different back then, and I remember coming past Slattery's (I think) off Bath Avenue, where the was no barriers or cordons, and the crowd parting as I struggled through. It was the closest I've experienced to an Alpine stage of the Tour de France, where you can almost smell the breath of the crowd. Limped onward and round College Green, where the crowds were contained behind barriers, but there was even more of them, and the noise was deafening. It gives me goosebumps thinking about it now- it's what properly hooked me on running, and it was such an emotional moment for me that I was grateful for the rain, as it partially masked the tear or two that escaped on the home straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

opus wrote: »
    Decision coming this week I read.

D-day looming for 2020 Dublin Marathon

Meeting was supposed to be held today. Anybody hear any announcements resulting from it?

zico10 wrote: »
    Meeting was supposed to be held today. Anybody hear any announcements resulting from it?

They're saying on social media in replies to people that an announcement well be made next week.

py wrote: »
    They're saying on social media in replies to people that an announcement well be made next week.

Load of nonsense.
    If they have a decision made why not announce it.

Worst case scenario : full refund and back in the general ballot for everyone for 2021

Best case scenario : deferral of place option or refund

Why delay this for grandstanding purposes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Load of nonsense.

Worst case scenario : full refund and back in the general ballot for everyone for 2021

Why not wait patiently like most others instead of moaning about it.

Load of nonsense.

I'd imagine they've to discuss with sponsors etc before going public.

• Advertisement

py wrote: »
    I'd imagine they've to discuss with sponsors etc before going public.

KBC seem to have a large presence in their feeds lately alright.
    Case of them getting their moneys worth from the big announcement? Can't be that much at stake for them?

KBC seem to have a large presence in their feeds lately alright.
    Case of them getting their moneys worth from the big announcement? Can't be that much at stake for them?

I dunno exact details of how long the contract is for but it could be say 3 years for a certain amount of money. Reduced exposure with at least 1 less marathon in those 3 years could effect the income for the organisers. The legal eagles will no doubt be scouring over contracts for clauses to fight their side. Again, only guessing at this. Time will tell.

I dunn no.
    What about the championship?
    And the county ones?

Looks like we are all back in the hat for 2021...............

https://www.independent.ie/sport/oth...-39209024.html

Dublin Marathon expected to be cancelled
    Last year's Dublin Marathon
    Last year's Dublin Marathon
    Sean McGoldrick

May 15 2020 12:35 PM

The 2020 Dublin Marathon is expected to be cancelled today.

The Board of Directors met last night to discuss the future of the race which was scheduled for Sunday, October 25. It would have been the 41st running of the event which has been sold out for months.

A decision on the future of the event could not be delayed any longer as the merchandise for this year's race needs to be ordered in the next couple of weeks.

But given the current rules on social distancing which are likely to remain in place for the foreseeable future, running an event which is likely to have over 20,000 participants and a quarter of a million spectators, is not practical.

Medical experts have suggested that the risk of participants in a marathon passing on the virus to fellow runners during the race itself is very low. However, it would still be regarded as unsafe due to the congregation of the runners at the start at the start of the race.

The last big city marathon to take place prior to the worldwide Covid 19 shutdown as the Tokyo marathon in which only the elite runners were allowed participate.

All the other major spring marathons such as Boston and London were postponed until the autumn.

Major question marks remain over whether they will now go ahead as the Berlin marathon which was due to take place in September has already been cancelled.

The Dublin marathon, which was the brainchild of Louis Hogan - then a radio producer with RTE - and the late Noel Carroll was first held in 1980 on the October Bank Holiday Monday.

After an initial surge in interest the event almost folded during the 1990s when participation levels dropped to below 3,000.

However, under the leadership of current race director Jim Aughney the event was revived and now attracts over 20,000 entries annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Alana123

Surely we can have the option to defer to 2021??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Alana123 wrote: »
    Surely we can have the option to defer to 2021??

I'd guess that will be the default. Keep all the money in their bank account (KBC account I presume :D ) than giving it all back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I don't see anything on the marathon website. Was it cancelled or was that article speculation? The link gives a 404 error.

I don't see anything on the marathon website. Was it cancelled or was that article speculation? The link gives a 404 error.

Full link: https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/dublin-marathon-expected-to-be-cancelled-39209024.html

Announcement to be made early next according to their social media accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm selfish, but such a shame. I can't help but think that by September the nation is reopen - so doing this race by end of October would be fine - I would have thought that a very large number of folks would have asked for refunds by end of summer [and/or would not travel from Abroad].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'm selfish, but such a shame. I can't help but think that by September the nation is reopen - so doing this race by end of October would be fine - I would have thought that a very large number of folks would have asked for refunds by end of summer [and/or would not travel from Abroad].

But a second wave hits early September and DCM have already got 50000 t-shirts from suppliers for the series, other suppliers have supplied what they require etc then the govt says no.

Think DCM have no choice but to cancel the whole series or maybe the Marathon goes but they hold some of the series events towards xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Seems inevitable this will be cancelled. I feel sorry for the team, no matter what they do they will get abuse from some.

Shout out to all the annoying f##kers on DCMs twitter account asking "any news yet".

And also Michael who seems to be following DCM on Twitter only to stir up more anti-runner sentiment.

If they had some direction from Govt about numbers for events at a point in time...
    Say 1000 in Aug etc. then you can cap entries but I'd say the race series is gone well above that for the 10m and half marathon already leaving them with no options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

If they had some direction from Govt about numbers for events at a point in time... Say 1000 in Aug etc. then you can cap entries but I'd say the race series is gone well above that for the 10m and half marathon already leaving them with no options.

It's almost an impossible thing for the government to do. This is very much a "judge it as we go" situation.

Suppose to be an announcement on the marathon tomorrow. Meeting took place last Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

I hope it goes ahead, but not hopeful at all.

I wonder if London Marathon will also be pulled? It would be a strange if London goes ahead on Oct 4th and Dublin doesn't.

No answer from the office today.
    Was trying to enquire about the race series, reckon everything is off for 2020 with them at this stage.

Mass deferral of race series to next year back to original dates.
    Not confident about marathon deferral, think they will do blanket refunds to all entries/ballots together and start over in Nov for 2021.

positron wrote: »
    I hope it goes ahead, but not hopeful at all.

I wonder if London Marathon will also be pulled? It would be a strange if London goes ahead on Oct 4th and Dublin doesn't.

Really hoping it goes ahead too. It will be my 2nd marathon if it does go ahead. I have put in alot of training since christmas so it would be a pain in the a$s if it was cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Mass deferral of race series to next year back to original dates.
    Not confident about marathon deferral, think they will do blanket refunds to all entries/ballots together and start over in Nov for 2021.

TBH I'd far prefer to have my entry just straight deferred to next year than getting the money refunded now.

Also I'm wondering why not defer this year's event to early 2021 and run two DCMs next year (say Feb & Oct).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

geodesic wrote: »
    TBH I'd far prefer to have my entry just straight deferred to next year than getting the money refunded now.

Also I'm wondering why not defer this year's event to early 2021 and run two DCMs next year (say Feb & Oct).

Too much organization to get two in one year. Alot of work to even get one.

I hope to enter for next year, think it be a good to celebrate 45 years old and ten years since last one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Marathon postponed until next year. Entries deferred

Deferrals, not so bad.

EYXnWRHWoAEj8WI?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

As we all expected, right decision too for everyones sake.

I will roll over my entries for the half and full marathon to next year, it should be a good one next year !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Not exactly a surprise. The only decision they could have made really.
    Will defer my entry rather than claim a refund.

2021 should be a great one now, firstly the ballot panic and now the year long wait on top of that.
    I think I'll plan to cover the route virtually during the summer once the 20km restrictions are lifted.
    Would usually have covered the first 20m when living nearby most years.

It's a nice route to do on a weekend morning in late summer, onwards and upwards.
    Plenty of filling stations and shops on the route for drink stops - Centra Stoneybatter / Castleknock / Sarsfield Rd Applegreen / Dolphins Barn Maxol / Your stop on Drimnagh Rd / Circle K beside the KCR / Eurospar Milltown / Spar Bird Ave / Costcutter Foster Ave

Just need the Govt to play ball now and people can run 26.2 again without having to do 2000 laps of the garden and set up a gofundme page.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Will they finish the GFA entry process I wonder. They were due out around now. Probably not going to be many opportunities for people to run GFA times before next April, so they may offer those places now for 2021 version instead.

Right decision. Great that you can defer your entry until next year.Roll on DCM 2021

"Athletics Ireland has confirmed that the National Marathon Championship, scheduled within the event, has been cancelled." RTE

Pity, surely a reduced entry race with tight GFA (e.g. 500 runners) later in the year, in Phoenix Park (or elsewhere) would have been good for the clubs and athletes?

echancrure wrote: »
    "Athletics Ireland has confirmed that the National Marathon Championship, scheduled within the event, has been cancelled." RTE

Pity, surely a reduced entry race with tight GFA (e.g. 500 runners) later in the year, in Phoenix Park (or elsewhere) would have been good for the clubs and athletes?

I would have thought AI could take this on themselves, could even choose a route down the country on quieter roads etc.

Must be AI policy and they have decisions in place on competition in 2020 as a whole.

Is that a sign of things to come for all road races for the year though, looks like it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I would have thought AI could take this on themselves, could even choose a route down the country on quieter roads etc.

Must be AI policy and they have decisions in place on competition in 2020 as a whole.

Is that a sign of things to come for all road races for the year though, looks like it....

Understandable and disappointing all in one re marathon .

Govt should at least give some guidance to Sport Ireland re event sizes post August at an early stage, all they have said is events north of 5000 are off , AI should be looking for some clarity otherwise nothing will happen for a very long time outside some small scale track events

• Advertisement
Advertisement