Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Marathon postponed until next year. Entries deferred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Deferrals, not so bad.

EYXnWRHWoAEj8WI?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

As we all expected, right decision too for everyones sake.

I will roll over my entries for the half and full marathon to next year, it should be a good one next year !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Not exactly a surprise. The only decision they could have made really.
    Will defer my entry rather than claim a refund.

2021 should be a great one now, firstly the ballot panic and now the year long wait on top of that.
    I think I'll plan to cover the route virtually during the summer once the 20km restrictions are lifted.
    Would usually have covered the first 20m when living nearby most years.

It's a nice route to do on a weekend morning in late summer, onwards and upwards.
    Plenty of filling stations and shops on the route for drink stops - Centra Stoneybatter / Castleknock / Sarsfield Rd Applegreen / Dolphins Barn Maxol / Your stop on Drimnagh Rd / Circle K beside the KCR / Eurospar Milltown / Spar Bird Ave / Costcutter Foster Ave

Just need the Govt to play ball now and people can run 26.2 again without having to do 2000 laps of the garden and set up a gofundme page.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Will they finish the GFA entry process I wonder. They were due out around now. Probably not going to be many opportunities for people to run GFA times before next April, so they may offer those places now for 2021 version instead.

Right decision. Great that you can defer your entry until next year.Roll on DCM 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

"Athletics Ireland has confirmed that the National Marathon Championship, scheduled within the event, has been cancelled." RTE

Pity, surely a reduced entry race with tight GFA (e.g. 500 runners) later in the year, in Phoenix Park (or elsewhere) would have been good for the clubs and athletes?

echancrure wrote: »
    "Athletics Ireland has confirmed that the National Marathon Championship, scheduled within the event, has been cancelled." RTE

Pity, surely a reduced entry race with tight GFA (e.g. 500 runners) later in the year, in Phoenix Park (or elsewhere) would have been good for the clubs and athletes?

I would have thought AI could take this on themselves, could even choose a route down the country on quieter roads etc.

Must be AI policy and they have decisions in place on competition in 2020 as a whole.

Is that a sign of things to come for all road races for the year though, looks like it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I would have thought AI could take this on themselves, could even choose a route down the country on quieter roads etc.

Must be AI policy and they have decisions in place on competition in 2020 as a whole.

Is that a sign of things to come for all road races for the year though, looks like it....

Understandable and disappointing all in one re marathon .

Govt should at least give some guidance to Sport Ireland re event sizes post August at an early stage, all they have said is events north of 5000 are off , AI should be looking for some clarity otherwise nothing will happen for a very long time outside some small scale track events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Gutted about this year's event, but like everyone else not surprised. Glad they're deferring entries by default to next year.

I hope this doesn't burst the DCM bubble ... it's come at the worst possible time, after the (hamfisted to be fair) strategy to maximize & quantify demand for the 2020 race via the lottery.

geodesic wrote: »
    Gutted about this year's event, but like everyone else not surprised. Glad they're deferring entries by default to next year.

I hope this doesn't burst the DCM bubble ... it's come at the worst possible time, after the (hamfisted to be fair) strategy to maximize & quantify demand for the 2020 race via the lottery.

If anything it will consolidate the interest among new entrants, and also I'd expect the race series will sell out completely for 2021.

If you take into account they don't have any full time staff they aren't exposed for any financial losses given they have acted early this year. I would say the race series excess revenue only serves to bolster the main event pot on a given year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

youngrun wrote: »
    Understandable and disappointing all in one re marathon .

Govt should at least give some guidance to Sport Ireland re event sizes post August at an early stage, all they have said is events north of 5000 are off , AI should be looking for some clarity otherwise nothing will happen for a very long time outside some small scale track events

The government will give guidance when they see what works in Europe. No point giving some advice and then saying 2 months later its not valid.

The government will give guidance when they see what works in Europe. No point giving some advice and then saying 2 months later its not valid.

How about taking the lead for once we are part of Europe... esp with a renowned athlete at the helm of Sport Ireland...

youngrun wrote: »
    How about taking the lead for once we are part of Europe... esp with a renowned athlete at the helm of Sport Ireland...

You mean take a gamble?

I don't believe that is the right approach, we are only out of lockdown so we have an advantage to watch and learn from other countries. If results are good there then we can do it. If their method fails, we keep going with our plan and some adjustments.

We could do the Italy approach and just open all up, but if that fails you be the first to moan.

Playing safe is the best approach and other countries are doing that also.

You mean take a gamble?

I don't believe that is the right approach, we are only out of lockdown so we have an advantage to watch and learn from other countries. If results are good there then we can do it. If their method fails, we keep going with our plan and some adjustments.

We could do the Italy approach and just open all up, but if that fails you be the first to moan.

Playing safe is the best approach and other countries are doing that also.

Yes I would go for it , very low risk for anyone fit to take part

Dont see any future in road races in 2020 and unlikely any big events in 2021 with the current strategy of inching along and social distancing.

Time to get an exit plan on the table from restrictions etc and get the country back to sport and keeping healthy . Sport Ireland and AI should be at the forefront of this , every other sector is , why not sport ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just got a mail from the organisers.

Am I right in saying that by doing nothing my place is deferred to 2021?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Just got a mail from the organisers.

Am I right in saying that by doing nothing my place is deferred to 2021?

That's my understanding of things.

The hints about a virtual option are intriguing. The model used by Belfast could potentially work. Pick your own route, email in your Garmin tracking data, and then get a t-shirt in the post.

Probably very shallow of me ... but some virtual togetherness on the day, and of course some nice merch, would take the sting out of the cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Don't get this virtual runs at all. Paying money for what really is a training run. Maybe for a separate thread

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Don't get this virtual runs at all. Paying money for what really is a training run.

Well the cost should be fairly minimal, just enough to cover a cheap t-shirt and some basic admin. IIUC the Belfast virtual run is a modest £15.

It would allow veterans to maintain their streaks in some sense, also keep a buzz going around the event. Bit of auld craic for everyone involved, some war stories on twitter etc.

Not that fund raising was ever the main point of the DCM, it would allow the charities who normally benefit (Laura Lynn, Simon Community, whatever) to at least get some sponsorship activity going.

London obviously is in a whole other league when it comes to charity runners, and the estimated loss of donations if that event doesn't go ahead is eye-watering (60-70 million sterling).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

We can all take solace in the fact everyone seems to be of the opinion that the virus will suddenly disappear on January 1st 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

It would have been my first marathon and I have personally no interest in my first time over the distance not being a proper race. So I'd have no interest in a 'virtual' race.

Would happily do 'virtual' races for the other race series events though.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    We can all take solace in the fact everyone seems to be of the opinion that the virus will suddenly disappear on January 1st 2021

Things can change quickly, a virus can go as quick as it comes sometimes.
    We can only hope and try to be positive without putting lives at risk

Indeed ... exponential on the way up, exponential on the way down.

Also possible there'll be a vaccine and/or an effective treatment available by middle of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

We can only hope and try to be positive without putting lives at risk

I class it more as naivety than positivity at this stage.

We will all be social distancing well into 2021 and beyond most likely so the race conditions will be no different than today.

We need to start learning how to adapt and live with this virus.

Their is a real possibility of the cure is becoming way worse than the disease if it hasn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Did everyone get the email for the KBC Virtual Dublin Marathon Events 2020?
    You have been invited to enter the 2020 KBC Virtual Dublin Marathon events as a loyal participant of the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon & Series. It will take place on the October bank holiday weekend, marking when thousands of runners traditionally hit the streets of Dublin. Despite the cancellation of this year’s marathon, the virtual race will ensure you still have a goal to target. There are also options to sign up for the KBC Virtual Race Series distances; 4 Mile, 10km and Half Marathon. Participating with your smartphone you can complete the distances safely in your local area and will be supported by the Dublin Marathon app, which will record your distance and upload your time automatically.

It's €15 for the full marathon and €12 for all the others. I'm kinda confused about this. What's the point in paying? What exactly are you getting for your money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Basically its €15 for a medal for doing a long training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Casey78 wrote: »
    Basically its €15 for a medal for doing a long training run.
    I was wondering if you actually get a medal as it doesn't mention it in the email.

I wondering if it's a case that the medals are already made and they're trying to make their money back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I do love my DCM Beanies though :)

Advertisement