Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It's the hope that kills you.
    Going to be some craic doing the 26.2 with the 5km exercise limit by the Oct Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah I am in Louth and I reckon we will be the same by the end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Going to be some craic doing the 26.2 with the 5km exercise limit by the Oct Bank Holiday.

Sure just wear your mask and social distance be grand:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

This event in Co Antrim is on the same weekend as the Dublin virtual, its certified, insured by the Athletics Ni and has all the permits. Entries opened today.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058113554

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Has anyone actually tried to run using the training run functionality of the DCM app?

I ran an 11k this morning (Garmin and Apple Watch verified) and the app registered it as a 12.4km run with a pace 30 second per km faster than my actual run.

If the official app wants to say I ran the marathon faster on the day I'm conflicted between "Yayyy, super awesome PB, I'll submit an application for the Olympics" and "Hmmmm, that's not a true PB but the official results say it is"....

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Didn't realise that the app was released, or is this something on the existing tracking app from previous years?

robinph wrote: »
    Didn't realise that the app was released, or is this something on the existing tracking app from previous years?

No, it's all labelled "KBC 2020 Virtual Dublin Marathon" but the tracking element seems to be a bit ....special....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Found it now, apparently had to click a link on my email to connect my phone to my profile. Will be giving that a test on my run this evening to see what it does.

London have still not released their version, but I suspect it will be the same thing so need to get a test run in to see what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The Rook wrote: »
    Has anyone actually tried to run using the training run functionality of the DCM app?

I ran an 11k this morning (Garmin and Apple Watch verified) and the app registered it as a 12.4km run with a pace 30 second per km faster than my actual run.

If the official app wants to say I ran the marathon faster on the day I'm conflicted between "Yayyy, super awesome PB, I'll submit an application for the Olympics" and "Hmmmm, that's not a true PB but the official results say it is"....

Any thoughts?

Sounds like the GPS in your phone was a bit dodgy. Might or might not happen again, only one way to find out.

One the day, if you know the distance on the app was not correct then it's not a PB. Why would it matter what some random app says?

One the day, if you know the distance on the app was not correct then it's not a PB. Why would it matter what some random app says?

Ah yeah, I know that, I was only being facetious!:D

• Advertisement

Why would it matter what some random app says?

I'll save my response to that and the GFA results for October 4th on the London marathon thread. :D

Did a test run with the app this evening. Garmin measured 7.45 miles and the app 7.29 miles.

Did a test run with the app this evening. Garmin measured 7.45 miles and the app 7.29 miles.
    Ok, so not as bad as mine was, I'll give it another shot in the morning & see how I get on!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah you'll be grand, sure I did 30miles back in April on a 300metre loop in my estate :D

Screen%2BShot%2B2020-04-19%2Bat%2B07.38.37.png

....neighbours thought i had lost my mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

Check things like power saving mode arent enabled on your phone. That has a habit of screwing with GPS data.

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah you'll be grand, sure I did 30miles back in April on a 300metre loop in my estate :D

Screen%2BShot%2B2020-04-19%2Bat%2B07.38.37.png

....neighbours thought i had lost my mind though.

There is a guy locally who does similar in training for his ultras, which is basically all the time with various daft 24 hour and longer events, and you can clearly see the lap around his house on the Strava heatmaps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There is a guy locally who does similar in training for his ultras, which is basically all the time with various daft 24 hour and longer events, and you can clearly see the lap around his house on the Strava heatmaps.

I def wouldn't make a habit of it! Though i may have little choice in Oct as we have a new arrival and I may not be able to go too far on my run depending on whats happening.

Still, in saying that the loop wasn't awful. I thought I'd go crazy but it didn't feel endless and I switched direction every 5miles. It helped I was listening to music.

Usually, I try go as far from my house as I can run and loop back which I enjoy far more on country roads with feck all traffic.

Anyone else notice a place within eventmaster site to upload files yet?
    They say this is going to be available to upload GPS files that weekend but no sign of any such feature at the moment.
    It says you can go in under manage booking but there is only options to print receipts.

The apps seems to be a non option given feedback above, plus wouldn't fancy wearing a phone on the arm for all that time.

They say this is going to be available to upload GPS files that weekend but no sign of any such feature at the moment.
    It says you can go in under manage booking but there is only options to print receipts.

The apps seems to be a non option given feedback above, plus wouldn't fancy wearing a phone on the arm for all that time.

Haven't seen the option yet, but on a more positive note the accuracy issues I was having the other day seem to have disappeared, pretty much spot on between DCM App and Garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭Trampas

They are expecting people to upload the tcx file from garmin or whatever the file type their gps device creates? Good luck with that. Try explaining that to lots of people to do.

Let’s be honest DCM couldn’t care as long as they get their money. Probably an automatic process when runner x upload a screen shot of their run then fire out medal and well done email.

Probably accept a picture of a cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Has the date for 2021 been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Has the date for 2021 been released?

Next DCM will happen 6 weeks after we have a full house in Croke park for both all Irelands. ]

IMO it wont be 2021

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

ger664 wrote: »
    Next DCM will happen 6 weeks after we have a full house in Croke park for both all Irelands. ]

IMO it wont be 2021

Hope you're wrong but I reckon you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Really? Does anyone else think we won't have a DCM in 2021? That's depressing reading for a Monday morning. I know it's crystal ball stuff just interested to hear peoples opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Dudda wrote: »
    Really? Does anyone else think we won't have a DCM in 2021? That's depressing reading for a Monday morning. I know it's crystal ball stuff just interested to hear peoples opinion.

If you take the change in a lot of peoples attitudes to lockdown measures between March and now, I suspect that DCM and other events will go ahead with some changes.

Restrictions will be less and less accepted by more and more of the population as they see the rest of the world open up and get back to relative normality. If the deaths and ICU rates remain stable, it will be politically unpopular to enforce restrictions.

There is no way the GAA will let this go on and have a 2021 championship without crowds.

People won't accept this situation past April and once the days get longer next year and the sun is out there will be sport and people in attendance to enjoy it.

Can't see things being cancelled to the same extent this time next year, it would need to be a significantly different virus going around then and significantly more contagious for society not to have figured out a way of getting activities and events happening in some way by then. We never got the full details of what they had planned, but London Marathon sounded as if they had pretty much everything figured out...except for how to deal with the spectators. Might be reduced numbers, might be a different course to manage access better, but certain that something will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭event

There is no way the GAA will let this go on and have a 2021 championship without crowds.

People won't accept this situation past April and once the days get longer next year and the sun is out there will be sport and people in attendance to enjoy it.

The GAA won't let this go on?
    What will they do?? Start a revolution and overthrow the government?

event wrote: »
    The GAA won't let this go on?
    What will they do?? Start a revolution and overthrow the government?

They have far more pull than Athletics Ireland anyway.
    The mood of the general population will sway so far away from nphet over the next few months that there will be a vacuum there for large organisations such as the GAA to lobby with the Govt for easing of restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They have far more pull than Athletics Ireland anyway.
    The mood of the general population will sway so far away from nphet over the next few months that there will be a vacuum there for large organisations such as the GAA to lobby with the Govt for easing of restrictions.

GAA would run the country better anyhow

Advertisement