Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Ludo wrote: »

I love it! New West Wing is always good :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Finally got around to watching this, into season 3 so far. Quite a good series, sentimentality can get a bit much at times but good dialogue carries it. :)

My only issue with it, and it really annoys me, is the end credits music. Drives me crazy having an emotional or somber ending with a fade to black and then that cheerful tune kicks in ! Drives me mad ! :(

there is a page on tvtropes about tww's clashing outro. but out mentions that when the show aired, the theme wasn't played, as the network talked over it. its only really a dvd thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

mawk wrote: »
    there is a page on tvtropes about tww's clashing outro. but out mentions that when the show aired, the theme wasn't played, as the network talked over it. its only really a dvd thing

I'll have to suffer, and reach for the pause button once it fades to black !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'll have to suffer, and reach for the pause button once it fades to black !

Yeah it used to really bother me too but I got pretty good at pausing before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18313427

Mrs. Landingham has died.
    US TV actress Kathryn Joosten, best known for her roles in Desperate Housewives and The West Wing, has died.

Joosten, who was 72, died in California of lung cancer, 11 years after she was first diagnosed with the disease.

The actress won two Emmy Awards for playing nosey neighbour Karen McCluskey in suburban drama Desperate Housewives.

She had previously portrayed Delores Landingham, the secretary to fictional US President Josiah Bartlet, played by Martin Sheen, on The West Wing.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I started season 1 a few weeks ago. I'm starting season 2 now. Let's do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

couldn't help myself - started back last week on S1 (probably my fifth or sixth view over the last few years), I still HATE mandy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

For those of you looking for a West Wing fix...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

thanks for that - bloody Joshua Malina's been teasing with pics of this on twitter pretending it's a movie.............apparently #TWWM has been trending in the States

I note the Santos crew were nowhere to be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

cjmcork wrote: »
    I note the Santos crew were nowhere to be seen

It was a throwback pretending Bartlett was still president, no need for santos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

So the west wing was recently added to Netflix. It was considered one of the best shows of the early 2000's or so it seems from the reviews it got and the amount of awards it won. I missed it because I was only a kid then so decided to give it a go.

I am on episode 11 and I have to say I think It's really boring. I like Aaron Sorkin but his overly sentimental stuff which is annoying is on full display here. Very nice acting and the writing can be very good at times but the over sentimentality kills it. Also it has not aged well and feels very dated, although I do realise the first season is nearly 14 years old.

I just wanted to know is it worth carrying on, does it get better? I really wanted to like this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Yes. Im nearing the end of season 4 (generally seasons 1-4 are considered its prime) and it's absolutely been worth it. Ok yes it does get a bit too sentimental and idealistic and I accept that some people of a right wing point of view might take exception to how both sides of the coin are portrayed. However the writing is top notch, the dialogue is razor sharp, the performances are brilliant on a regular basis (Janney and Sheen get special mentions here) and the characters are fleshed out as the show goes along. It's definitely worth sticking with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Yes, fantastic show. However if you find it boring you obviously don't like the type of show it is and might not like it in general.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Yes, fantastic show. However if you find it boring you obviously don't like the type of show it is and might not like it in general.

Strange thing is on paper it is right up my street, I am really interested in politics, like other political dramas. Etc. Even like Sorkins other work, Studio 60, The Social network and The Newsroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

One of my favourite shows of all time. But if you haven't warmed to it by the end of the first season, likely you aren't going to like the next six seasons. If you're interested in TV shows from the noughties, try The Sopranos or The Wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

My favourite show of all time. I have watched it straight through a few times since it finished and don't feel it's aged at all.

But if you don't like it after 11 episodes you won't get to like it - it doesn't change.

Maybe before you give up have a look at 20 hours in America - the first two episodes of series 4. It has some high powered White House staff sort of stranded in rural America. My favourite episodes in it. Obviously it will be a bit of a spoiler if you want to go back and watch it all but it might whet your appetite.

Right I am going to give it to the end of the first season and see from there.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Right I am going to give it to the end of the first season and see from there.

Yeah probably best although i gotta say the final episodes of the second season are the best of the entire show, and the season finale is probably my favorite episode of television ever

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

Just had a great read of all this. A fitting tribute to a masterful show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Definitely my most favourite TV show ever :D

My favourite character is Josh. Him and Donna walking and talking :D
    I loved CJ for the first 5 seasons, but I hate her as Chief of Staff, why didn't Josh get it?
    Leo in Season 6 was stupid aswell, hard to believe they asked him to be VP, especially after he tried to tell Josh to make Santos quit. I won't even start on Toby....

What I find amazing is the depth of every single character. Even the minor ones.
    Amy Gardner though....represents the worst of politics...has an agenda and never stops pursuing it.

Also Stockyard Channing.....I hated the first lady.....at least get an actress who didn't have bad plastic surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

IvySlayer wrote: »

I loved CJ for the first 5 seasons, but I hate her as Chief of Staff, why didn't Josh get it?
    Leo in Season 6 was stupid aswell, hard to believe they asked him to be VP, especially after he tried to tell Josh to make Santos quit. I won't even start on Toby....

What I find amazing is the depth of every single character. Even the minor ones.
    Amy Gardner though....represents the worst of politics...has an agenda and never stops pursuing it.

Also Stockyard Channing.....I hated the first lady.....at least get an actress who didn't have bad plastic surgery.

Some interesting observations and I could certainly discuss in detail but for now I'll just stick to ...

I don't care about Amy's pursuit of her agenda, she is damn hooooot

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm halfway through season 5 at the moment, of my first time watching the show. It's amazing how it takes a dive this season. I'm really stressed with college and the show usually relaxes me, but now everyone is stressed and unhappy and shouting at each other! I'm trusting the previous posters who say it picks up again...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

A good tip post Sorkin years in Season 5 is to watch all the episodes scripted by Debora Cahn, her writing is hilarious and as close to Sorkin quality as it gets.

Faith wrote: »
    I'm halfway through season 5 at the moment, of my first time watching the show. It's amazing how it takes a dive this season. I'm really stressed with college and the show usually relaxes me, but now everyone is stressed and unhappy and shouting at each other! I'm trusting the previous posters who say it picks up again...
    It does, stick with it. Personally I liked season 5 but I can see why many wouldn't in comparison to the first three in particular

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Season 5 has a few too many dodgy moments. The bickering was particularly noticeable, and what they did to the whole feel of the show. Things do improve in 6 and 7, though I've still a few reservations about some of the writing - they piss all over Toby as a character. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Stick with it. Season 6 and 7 are brilliant.
    I love Vinick so much, even more than Santos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah hope college-life gets happier for you Faith :)

West Wing in seasons 6&7 are simply excellent viewing! You have a lovely treat ahead of you watching those series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Do you have to be somewhat interested in politics to get into this? I've heard a lot of great reviews but none say it's only for those with a love for politics.

I'm half way through the first episode and do find it too political. I'm not a political person at all, does this have the potential to grow on me, or should I just give up now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've merged a few West Wing floaters with the main thread.

• Advertisement

So the west wing was recently added to Netflix. It was considered one of the best shows of the early 2000's or so it seems from the reviews it got and the amount of awards it won. I missed it because I was only a kid then so decided to give it a go.

I am on episode 11 and I have to say I think It's really boring. I like Aaron Sorkin but his overly sentimental stuff which is annoying is on full display here. Very nice acting and the writing can be very good at times but the over sentimentality kills it. Also it has not aged well and feels very dated, although I do realise the first season is nearly 14 years old.

I just wanted to know is it worth carrying on, does it get better? I really wanted to like this one!

Was it added to the Irish Netflix? Just had a look for it but didn't see anything.

Do you have to be somewhat interested in politics to get into this? I've heard a lot of great reviews but none say it's only for those with a love for politics.

I'm half way through the first episode and do find it too political. I'm not a political person at all, does this have the potential to grow on me, or should I just give up now?

No it does have politics in it but they revolve around the character relationships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Just finished watching the west wing for the first time myself(cant believe it started in 1999). Yep stick with it. I almost gave up on it at season 5 but 6 and especially 7, are the best of the lot.

I had zero interest in politics and I loved the west wing. Like you I found it a bit talky at first but bloody hell it grows on you. And something strange happens over time: You become interested in politics........well american politics anyway, dont think I could ever imagine there being a tv show about Enda and the boys. At least not a serious one anyway. But stick with it.

nkay1985 wrote: »

Was it added to the Irish Netflix? Just had a look for it but didn't see anything.

Well it was added to American Netflix, I don't know about the Irish one,

Well it was added to American Netflix, I don't know about the Irish one,

Yeah I don't think it has been. Hopefully it is because I have them all on a drive but Netflix is just so handy. Would happily re-watch the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm halfway through season 2 and it really is fantastic. Best character is President Bartlett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Same I'm just starting Season 4 now- decided to get it after I fell in love with "The Newsroom"- but everyone kept saying that it is just a poor version of The West Wing.. I now know what they meant..
    I managed to get the Boxset in HMV before it closed, down from €300 to €60- main reason I got it and not just download/stream it is because I feel to fully appreciate Sorkin's work I feel you need to watch with subtitles as the dialogue goes so fast and you may miss some of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

She was Leo's first choice, and in any case Josh was distracted by Donna's recovery after the bombing and having serious doubts about the job.
    The way I read it, the decision was Josh's, and was primarily to get the votes in at the Convention. As is seen later, the two hardly knew each other and rarely interacted, all the way through the campaign. This is fairly realistic e.g. George H.W, Bush fought hard against Ronald Reagan for the 1980 Republican nomination, coining the phrase "voodoo economics" to describe Reagan's policies ... and still served as Reagan's VP for eight years. The Prez and Veep don't have to like each other e.g. Richard Nixon & Spiro Agnew.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Have made my way up to episode 21 of Season 4, so nearly completed it. Have read here that people say that the first 4 seasons were it in its prime, so should I stop now or continue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Have made my way up to episode 21 of Season 4, so nearly completed it. Have read here that people say that the first 4 seasons were it in its prime, so should I stop now or continue?
    sorkin left the show for i think season 5 onwards, so there is a difference in these 2 seasons to the first 4, there not bad seasons, its just there not as good as 1-4, but season 7 which i think is one of the strongest seasons of TV ever made 5-6 totally worth it,

if you stop now your only watching half the story, dont listen to other people either, if your enjoying the show why stop at season 4,

don ramo wrote: »
    sorkin left the show for i think season 5 onwards, so there is a difference in these 2 seasons to the first 4, there not bad seasons, its just there not as good as 1-4, but season 7 which i think is one of the strongest seasons of TV ever made 5-6 totally worth it,

if you stop now your only watching half the story, dont listen to other people either, if your enjoying the show why stop at season 4,

fully echo the above. Keep with it. Season 7 is great IMO. I don't think that 5 and 6 are bad, just not as good as the first 4.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I love season 6.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Definitely do not stop. As the others have said, they aren't bad seasons, just not quite as good as 1-4 and 7. Still far better than the majority of TV you will watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,269 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Myself and the OH are into Season 2 now, we like it overall but my god the amount of nauseating cringe moments is painful e.g end of the midterms and sitting on Joshs 'stoop', the first season's 'I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States' and all the others, why do it, takes away hugely from the humour and politics which i enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Continue!

The 6th series moves up a scale with more emphasis on the International Level and onto the next Presidential Election Candidates which leads nicely into the next Presidential Election in the final series. Well worth staying with imo. Great viewing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm in the middle of season four and I'm really enjoying the West Wing so much. I wholeheartedly agree with Grand Rajnah, it's far better than most of the stuff that's on our TVs at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm 3 episodes into season 7 now. Stick with it! I found season 5 tough going, but season 6 was brilliant again.
    I miss Sam
    , though :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Stick a spoiler tag on that last line ^^^^^^ - some of us are only on Season 4 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I stopped at season 7 :(

I really should get back to watching that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I stopped at season 7 :(

I really should get back to watching that!
    Well, there are only seven seasons!

• Advertisement
Advertisement