Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yep - it kind of grew organically e.g. Donna was also a background character. I thought the character development was a good thing - it showed the writers were responsive to the cast and the audience. Note that Sorkin had also written the screenplay for The American President (Michael Douglas, Annette Bening ... and Martin Sheen), which was a major influence too.

I have many favourite moments - anyone for turkey? - but I suppose my least favourite episode has to be Isaac and Ishmael, the "special" they hastily wrote and shot after the 9/11 attacks. Too much of a historical stretch in its thesis.

I thought they could have done a spinoff series, since we last see Will Bailey (Josh Malina) as he's deciding to run for Congress: there's potential for comedy in the idea of an uptight White House staffer blowing in to hippie Oregon, trying to win over the locals. I'd call it The Oregon 4th.
    We know he wins - he pops up as a Congressman in the "flash forward" at the start of Season 7.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

bnt wrote: »
    I have many favourite moments, but I suppose my least favourite episode has to be Isaac and Ishmael, the "special" they hastily wrote and shot after the 9/11 attacks. Too much of a historical stretch in its thesis.
    There has been a lot of criticism of that episode here. Perhaps deserved if you consider it as just an episode in a TV show.

However given it was hastily written and then consider the context of when it was aired, and i think it stands up quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

bnt wrote: »
    Yep - it kind of grew organically e.g. Donna was also a background character. I thought the character development was a good thing - it showed the writers were responsive to the cast and the audience. Note that Sorkin had also written the screenplay for The American President (Michael Douglas, Annete Bening ... and Martin Sheen), which was a major influence too.

I have many favourite moments - anyone for turkey? - but I suppose my least favourite episode has to be Isaac and Ishmael, the "special" they hastily wrote and shot after the 9/11 attacks. Too much of a historical stretch in its thesis.

I thought they could have done a spinoff series, since we last see Will Bailey (Josh Malina) as he's deciding to run for Congress: there's potential for comedy in the idea of an uptight White House staffer blowing in to hippie Oregon, trying to win over the locals. I'd call it The Oregon 4th.
    We know he wins - he pops up as a Congressman in the "flash forward" at the start of Season 7.

loving the Turkey clip! and who can forget the ButterBall hotline! Link

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

4 episodes into season one and I am hooked! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just got into season 4 today, forgot how good the 2 opening episodes are, hilarious with Josh, Toby and Donna rambling around and then the speech "ran into the fire" , and "I dont like mondays" being played in the background, another episode that gives me goosebumps whenever i watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mikemac wrote: »
    That all changed.
    Though Rob Lowe remained the highest paid actor due to his contract

Yeah, it's always strange when an episode opens with 'Rob Lowe' followed by the rest of the cast in alphabetical order :pac:

I like how balanced the show is with screen time for all the characters - there's no clear 'lead' and it comes across as a true ensemble as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Note that Sorkin had also written the screenplay for The American President (Michael Douglas, Annete Bening ... and Martin Sheen), which was a major influence too.
    Yeah, they reused the concept of the new President struggling with the idea of a
    proportionate response
    after
    the shooting down of his army physician's plane
    early in season 1 from that movie. Think it worked better in The West Wing.

2 points.........

1. Martin Sheen has an Irish passport, he should run for President!

2. The American President was on Friday night - A. Sorkin recycled some serious amount of material from the film throughout the series (Proportionate Response in particular), the ubiquitous Stackhouse is mentioned, the French president's name, Ellie in WW was Sydney's sister in the film, Nancy, Will Bailey, etc............

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Re season 6, anyone else find the scene between Jed and Leo
    at Camp David, not long before Leo collapses, they have a heated argument.
    My memory at the time was that it seemed quite awkward, a bit unWest Wing ish and not really keeping with the characters at all. Or, is my mind playing tricks on me here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

cjmcork wrote: »
    2 points.........

2. The American President was on Friday night - A. Sorkin recycled some serious amount of material from the film throughout the series (Proportionate Response in particular), the ubiquitous Stackhouse is mentioned, the French president's name, Ellie in WW was Sydney's sister in the film, Nancy, Will Bailey, etc............

1. Yes! Where do I sign a petition to get him on the ballot? :D

2. Sorkin's shockin' for recycling material alright. If you watch the series he wrote just before The West Wing, Sports Night, you'll recognise a lot of things! (Sam/Josh == Dan/Casey, "the only thing you have to do to make me happy is come home at the end of the day", lots of the same actors, etc etc.) And there's a pretty good chance some of the same stuff will turn up again in his new series I'd say :)

Off to rewatch Sports Night now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

2 points.........

Thread over on the politics forum talking about a Facebook campaign :D

Wouldn't it nearly be worth it for the gas? I mean, I know sending Dustin to the Eurovision didn't work out that great, but Martin Sheen actually would make a decent president. He's younger than Gay Byrne, has been politically active his whole life. OK, there may be a few issues with his arrest record and a wayward son, but hey, nobody's perfect?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

2 points.........

Yeah, it is interesting to see the movie prototypes of the TV characters. Michael J Fox's highly strung character is obviously Josh, there's the tall female press secretary, the narky Toby-alike and Sheen himself as the best-friend-who'se-now-Chief-Of-Staff. It's actually weird seeing Sheen in the oval office (They also used the same set) NOT as the president. There's even an elderly Mrs Laningham type.

should have also stated that they even recycled 'coop' - the president's driver (same name in the film and the show!)............

just finishing up S4.............25 is some episode:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I'm a fan of the West Wing, but can't agree it's the best TV ever. For me that's The Wire. More realistic, equally, if not better, written and acted, and absolutely compelling. Also it's storytelling structure is absolutely unique in the history of TV. Bloody wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Sorry to recoup a old thread,But
    1:

2:There is some moment where Leo gets a marine guarding his door to come in and do a "trick" with his gun.Anyone able to find a video of it for at least the season/episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ill Follow the Sun

2:There is some moment where Leo gets a marine guarding his door to come in and do a "trick" with his gun.Anyone able to find a video of it for at least the season/episode

I couldn't find a video, but the episode is "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" from season 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Just started watching season 2. Went through all of season 1 last week.

Good so far.

I don't really like the character Danny Colcannnon. I find the way he constantly says 'ok' grates on me terribly.

Otherwise it is a decent, solid show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bored - might just start watching it again for the umpteenth time.
    (Pure crap on on telly)

'good' - by the time you're finished this will change to 'great'!:D

'good' - by the time you're finished this will change to 'great'!:D

I agree, things really start kicking off mid season three.

• Advertisement

Biggins, if you haven't seen it, try The Wire, I just finished it and it's well up there with TWW

Biggins, if you haven't seen it, try The Wire, I just finished it and it's well up there with TWW

O' I've seen the Wire a few times, as The Shield, The Corner and many other good boxsets, of which I have hundreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Met a few of the cast in Washington when they were filming the inauguration. Met alison janney Bradley whitford Richard schiff Martin sheen and dule hill. All the nicest you could meet and all give lots of time to the fans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Just started watching this all over again myself for I think the 4th time now. Had lent boxsets to a friend who had never seen it and hearing her talk about episodes just made me want to watch it all over again. It's always been one of my favourite shows but I keep forgetting just how amazing it was.

It's a constant battle between The West Wing and The Wire for my favourite all time show, but I think The West Wing just shades it. There are some individual episodes of The West Wing that if they were counted as movies would break into my favourite all time movie list.

20 Hours in America parts 1 and 2 are possibly my favourite episodes of anything ever. Has everything I love about the show in it and I think the end of season 3 start of season 4 are when Sorkin was on top form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Just watched the episode "17 People" from Season 2.

Excellently written and structured episode with tremendous acting, especially from yer man playing Toby. This was the first episode that has impressed me as much as, say, The Wire or Sopranos.

Was a bit iffy up 'til now but this was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I have a week of holidays left. I think I may have to break out my boxset again :)

I'd love to meet Richard Schiff and discuss Toby and the West Wing in general with him. I think Toby is my favourite character in any TV show ever (aside from season 7 when the writers butchered him for no good reason).

W/N - I'm the same, week left, Might break out Studio 60, cos I'd do that in a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Have started to watch the West Wing for the first time over the last few weeks. I'm halfway through Season 5 at the moment and I'm starting to find it drifting a bit into more of the same.

While I have really enjoyed the characters and the storylines in general I just feel it lacks a certain something when it comes to seeing storylines through to their full completion. Sometimes it feels like the writers have gone all gung-ho into a storyline (or character) and then get bored with it and drop it without ever mentioning it again.

Just for me it leaves too many unanswered questions and this makes it slightly unsatisfactory. Bit of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome going on at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Season 5 is a bit weak. We've John Wells to thank for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Hang in there - there are some very powerful episodes to come at the end of S5 and later, major changes to the characters and their situations.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement