Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Well, there are only seven seasons!
    Well. I stopped on the first episode of Season 7. Watched it and never went back to it. I tend to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres no question that seasons 2-4 are by far the best, its still getting itself off the ground in season 1 and season 5 is a bit jarring due to sorkin not being involved anymore but it all comes together nicely with the nominations in season 6 and the election in season 7.
    Overall still in my opinion the best full series of television ive ever seen along with my favorite episode of television ever, the season 2 finale - Two Cathedrals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Have made my way up to episode 21 of Season 4, so nearly completed it. Have read here that people say that the first 4 seasons were it in its prime, so should I stop now or continue?

I'd watch Season 5 and then see how you feel. To be honest if you feel about it as I do, then you shouldn't have to ask.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Theres no question that seasons 2-4 are by far the best, its still getting itself off the ground in season 1 and season 5 is a bit jarring due to sorkin not being involved anymore but it all comes together nicely with the nominations in season 6 and the election in season 7.
    Overall still in my opinion the best full series of television ive ever seen along with my favorite episode of television ever, the season 2 finale - Two Cathedrals

Couldn't agree more about Two Cathedrals.

It is one of the finest television shows in history, so a poor episode or poor season is still better than most of the crap on TV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Stick a spoiler tag on that last line ^^^^^^ - some of us are only on Season 4 :(

Sorry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

syklops wrote: »

Couldn't agree more about Two Cathedrals.

It is one of the finest television shows in history, so a poor episode or poor season is still better than most of the crap on TV.

One of the things I love about some of the big moments in the west wing is the song choice for the background. The two that immediately come to mind are
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Don Henley - New York Minute

Great moments and when i hear those songs they remind me of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Damn, now I want to go back and start again :( there are not enough hours in the day!!!

the earlier seasons were the best. I found season 7 got a bit monotonous, as US election campaigns tend to. But I agree with almost everyone here, it has to be one of the best TV shows ever made and ever written. Like, Ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Uriel. wrote: »
    One of the things I love about some of the big moments in the west wing is the song choice for the background. The two that immediately come to mind are

They were definitely two poignant moments alright :)

On my music playlist in work I always had Brothers of Arms, but I recently swapped it out for the scene in TWW where they play Brothers in Arms, and you have the rain and the wind, which adds to it, and they few lines of dialogue. It gets me EVERY single time. Theres only about 5 lines in the 4 minute segment, but they are all so powerful.
    Leo:"Just watch this..."

Another great example is Season 4 Finale where they play Massive Attacks Angel. Just watched it there, and I might have to add that to my play list as well.

On my music playlist in work I always had Brothers of Arms, but I recently swapped it out for the scene in TWW where they play Brothers in Arms, and you have the rain and the wind, which adds to it, and they few lines of dialogue. It gets me EVERY single time. Theres only about 5 lines in the 4 minute segment, but they are all so powerful.
    Leo:"Just watch this..."

Another great example is Season 4 Finale where they play Massive Attacks Angel. Just watched it there, and I might have to add that to my play list as well.

I have four episodes left in season four (3rd time through the box set). I vaguely remember the last episode and the song but will pay particular attention this time

• Advertisement

I have four episodes left in season four (3rd time through the box set). I vaguely remember the last episode and the song but will pay particular attention this time

Do, it sets the scene so perfectly, whoever was responsible for putting that final club scene together with that music is a genius

Also see you bringing up how many times youve gone through it, I can honestly say ive completely lost track how many times ive done full run throughs but im pretty sure its into double digits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

The music is so well chosen in it. My favourite, is in Season 4, '20 Hours in America Part 2'; "I Don't Like Mondays" played during President Bartlet's speech after
    the pipe bomb at the swimming pool

Link if anyone wants to watch it again. I love that scene.

Do, it sets the scene so perfectly, whoever was responsible for putting that final club scene together with that music is a genius

Also see you bringing up how many times youve gone through it, I can honestly say ive completely lost track how many times ive done full run throughs but im pretty sure its into double digits
    Double digits. Wow that's some going i have to say. Do you have a particularly favourite season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Double digits. Wow that's some going i have to say. Do you have a particularly favourite season?

Season 2. Every day of the week, Season 2

Faith wrote: »
    I'm 3 episodes into season 7 now. Stick with it! I found season 5 tough going, but season 6 was brilliant again.
    I miss Sam
    , though :(.
    Sam returns
    to the White House again in Season 7 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

So I have kept watching, and I'm nearly finished the first season, for me it seems to be slow grower, the characters are great, particularly love Josh and Sam, Josh and Donna crack me up. Alison Janney has been one of my favourite actors for years, is there nothing she can't do, fantastic comedic actress but can bring the drama home just as well. President Bartletts overly sentimental monologues do grate on me but that's just something I am going to have to get over. Off to watch another episode now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    So I have kept watching, and I'm nearly finished the first season, for me it seems to be slow grower, the characters are great, particularly love Josh and Sam, Josh and Donna crack me up. Alison Janney has been one of my favourite actors for years, is there nothing she can't do, fantastic comedic actress but can bring the drama home just as well. President Bartletts overly sentimental monologues do grate on me but that's just something I am going to have to get over. Off to watch another episode now :)

I also think that Fitzwallace and Nancy don't ever get enough credit - the supporting cast were amazing - one of my fav scenes was between Nancy and CJ
    they're beating the women Nancy

Yeah agree with Otacon, Season 2 all the way no question

yeah, if I had to pick a season also, I"d pick 2 (if I can have Celestial Navigation from S1 in that pack please!) woot canaw and all that!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah Im definitely in double digits as well. It ended in 2006 and I probably watch it 3 times or so a year so that adds up to around 18 times. I'd say I've watched it a few more times on top of that.

For me, Im torn between Season 2 and Season 4. Season 4 was the first box set I ever bought.

For a random and hilarious clip from season 3, check out this.

above clip - CLASSIC!!!

ok, Im getting out my box sets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Time to start again from season 1 I think!

I'm defo up to watch 8 or 9, actually could be on double-digits now........it's definitely worth it, there's v few tv shows that I'll do this for........possibly Life on Mars (NOT Ashes to Ashes :P)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just watched Election Day: Part 2.
    I'm in FLOODS. Naturally, I knew it was coming because I knew John Spencer had died, but it was so bloody sad :(

I'm already ready to start watching from Season 1 again though!

Faith wrote: »
    I just watched Election Day: Part 2.
    I'm in FLOODS. Naturally, I knew it was coming because I knew John Spencer had died, but it was so bloody sad :(

I'm already ready to start watching from Season 1 again though!

When I rewatch it I usually end around midway of season 7. It didnt have the ending it deserved. John Spencers untimely death didn't help. According to a source of mine(whom I trust, but I can't publish), the planned ending for the season had been for Leo to win the election and become POTUS, and Santos to become VP. There was concern it would be deemed racist, having the electorate look at the two candidates and for them to go "Well of the two of them I prefer the white guy", but with his political smarts, national security experience and general likeability, it is easy to see how he could become the front runner. Especially the way he organised the debate late in the season.

• Advertisement

Another poignant moment for me was in 'Tomorrow' when President Bartlet opened the gift from Malerie from Leo of the
    framed napkin saying 'Bartlet for America
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Another poignant moment for me was in 'Tomorrow' when President Bartlet opened the gift from Malerie from Leo of the
    framed napkin saying 'Bartlet for America
    :)

a nice moment but I prefer when Bartlett gave it to Leo

According to a source of mine(whom I trust, but I can't publish), the planned ending for the season had been for Leo to win the election and become POTUS, and Santos to become VP. There was concern it would be deemed racist, having the electorate look at the two candidates and for them to go "Well of the two of them I prefer the white guy", but with his political smarts, national security experience and general likeability, it is easy to see how he could become the front runner. Especially the way he organised the debate late in the season.

Not what i heard, all the stuff i have heard is much more along the lines of whats on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_McGarry#Influence_of_John_Spencer.27s_death
    where Vinick was supposed to win
    but they changed it so it would be more bittersweet, also such a thing as your describing is completely impossible afaik under american election law and very unrealistic

Edit : Relevant http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/2009/06/23/tv-legends-revealed-11/

Not what i heard, all the stuff i have heard is much more along the lines of whats on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_McGarry#Influence_of_John_Spencer.27s_death
    where Vinick was supposed to win
    but they changed it so it would be more bittersweet, also such a thing as your describing is completely impossible afaik under american election law and very unrealistic

Edit : Relevant http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/2009/06/23/tv-legends-revealed-11/

Interesting read, but there is quite a lot of speculation in the piece. Truth is we may never know the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I've been late to this particular party but I am truly amazed at how awesome it is, upthere with BSG,The Wire and Breaking Bad easy.... And I'm only on Season Three.
    Finally got to the much heralded Two Cathedrals episode over the weekend.
    I'm not ashamed.... I DID shed a tear at the finale. It deserved it. Whoever made the decision to include
    Knopflers Brothers in Arms, along with the weather..... Bravo
    it combined into something so powerful.
    I already know this is something I will watch and re watch for as long as I have eyes and ears.

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Just re watched Two Cathedrals and noticed something that I missed first time round.
    Just as the music kicks off at the finale, Bartlet is standing in the rain when Charlie arrives to tell him it's time to go and holds his heavy coat open for him. Bartlet just walks by him in the rain. Charlie follows him into the office and puts Bartlets coat on a chair, pauses for a second then removes the heavy coat he himself was already wearing and follows his Persident into the rain.
    Could be looking too much into this but I'd imagine that was a show of solidarity, going into battle together..... Brothers in Arms etc.
    Either way it is now my favourite episode of any series I've watched......

HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Just re watched Two Cathedrals and noticed something that I missed first time round.
    Just as the music kicks off at the finale, Bartlet is standing in the rain when Charlie arrives to tell him it's time to go and holds his heavy coat open for him. Bartlet just walks by him in the rain. Charlie follows him into the office and puts Bartlets coat on a chair, pauses for a second then removes the heavy coat he himself was already wearing and follows his Persident into the rain.
    Could be looking too much into this but I'd imagine that was a show of solidarity, going into battle together..... Brothers in Arms etc.

HB

Yea, I noticed that last night. I don't think you're looking into it that much.

I still think the episode The Son from Season 4 of Friday Night Lights is the best episode that I've ever seen.

So I managed to finish this all last night. Absolutely delighted I stuck with it because the 6th season was wonderful. Alan Alda was wonderful, plus there were so many standout moments.

hamsterboy wrote: »

HB

Ive always thought that since the first time i watched the episode, pretty sure its what your intended to think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love when
    CJ has to get emergency root canal and Josh briefs the press, Bartlets reaction is 'Oh God...'

Secret plan to fight inflation

Yup, I'm going to watch it all over again,
    I've always wanted to enter into a room and proclaim 'I am the lord your God, thou shalt worship no other God before me.'

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I love when
    CJ has to get emergency root canal and Josh briefs the press, Bartlets reaction is 'Oh God...'

I've always wanted to enter into a room and proclaim 'I am the lord your God, thou shalt worship no other God before me.'

To be honest, I could dedicate a blog solely to "I love when..."

I didnt start watching it when it started, and I started watching it around season 4, and before I knew how bit torrent works and before there was Sky+, there was this lovely situation where the West Wing was shown on E4, and then shown again an hour later on E4+1, so you could watch an episode, have it sink in and watch it again. It was great.

Have I mentioned the President ringing the butterball hotline, in this thread yet? Thats another I love when moment.

EDIT: Yes I have mentioned the president calling the butterball hotline. I even embedded it one page back.

With regards to the wonderful Two Cathedrals speech.. I thought it was such a wonderful move to not only not translate what Bartlet was saying with subtitles, to have it as quite a substantial bit of the whole monologue, but also to have it in such an archaic language like Latin. Added so much to it, but also showed that here was a TV show that was not willing to treat it's viewers like idiots, without being smug about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Delighted I stumbled across this thread. I LOVE the West Wing and like others here I watch the entire series at least once a year. The writing, the actors, the sets, the directing all came together in this brilliant series and made it in my humble opinion one of the best ever made. Anybody who is struggling with some of the episodes or seasons just keep going the brilliant far outweigh the good which far outweigh the not so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I just finished season 1 last night :)

For the (approx.) 8th time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I love when

Twy vewy hahhd not to destwoy us!

• Advertisement

Another personal favorite moment is Leo telling the story of how the man who fell in the hole, and Josh returning the favour!

Is it me or does Abbey Bartlet just lets the entire show down? If Jed divorced her and married Mandy it would be an upgrade imo.

No disrespect to Stockyard Channing, all that plastic surgery made her face kind of expressionless.

Is it me or does Abbey Bartlet just lets the entire show down? If Jed divorced her and married Mandy it would be an upgrade imo.

:eek:

Your kidding right?

In the "Bits I love theme". Leo talking about scotch is brilliant. Even if I do disagree with the practise of putting ice in good scotch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not so found of the butterball hotline scene - it's uber cheese, really.

Elsewhere, I liked Matthew Perry's character/arc. :)

Glen Close was a fav guest star of mine.

I don't how they did it, but the supporting cast were amazing. Hoynes, Fitz, Bruno, Nancy McNally, Haffley, Lord John, Ron Butterfield were pretty cool to name a few, wish they'd had more screen time.

Ryan Pierce probably appeared more times than most of those *shivers*

Another one of my favourite moments is Bartlets bitch slap to Amy Gardner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

See, I've no recollection of that at all despite generally liking Amy. Rewatch is due, methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Gives me goosebumps everytime
    Spoilers:

If you didn't like the butterball hotline one, you won't like this turkey.

• Advertisement

I love that!

Advertisement