Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colbert Station Redevelopment 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

€3.5 million Pedestrian Plaza (Irish Times)

The plaza, which will form phase one of the development will be completed within three to four years.

I wonder will they do Davis Street as well in order to link up with Baker’s Place / Tait’s Clock?

A tender to revamp and reorganise Parnell Street, Davis Street, Wickham Street and indeed the grass triangle between the park and Hyde road was announced earlier in the year.

Hopefully this will be progressed at the earliest opportunity. It has been allocated some funding from the smarter travel initiative too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Vanquished wrote: »
    Of course health and safety is always a priority but there is ample space surrounding the station to facilitate this development without significantly impacting on services. If the largest and busiest train station in the country (Connolly) can be entirely remodelled, extended and partially rebuilt whilst remaining in operation then the same can be achieved with a smaller project here.

The real reason as to why it is to be progressed in a piecemeal fashion is clearly down to an apparent unwillingness to release a relatively modest amount of money over a shorter time-frame.

I agree. This is small change in the grand scheme of things...and the timeframe ibeing mentioned is ridiculous. There is no excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Full planning permission for Limerick's Colbert Station €16.8 million redevelopment a welcome boost (Bus Éireann)

1421148194_content_main.jpg

Phase One of works expected to get underway in Quarter 1 2015

1421148193_content_main.jpg

This has already been highlighted on boards but just released by Bus Éireann (see link).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ambitious plans, opening up the front area will be a vast improvement and hopefully the rest of the street will get some works to upgrade the look of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Keeping away the savory characters that hang around that area or pass through will a challenge too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

bazz26 wrote: »
    Keeping away the savory characters that hang around that area or pass through will a challenge too.

That's no way to describe Bus Eireann passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭sleepyman

They say Q1 so that would mean pretty shortly or is this just another announcement where nothing actually happens?It badly needs an upgrade

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sleepyman wrote: »
    They say Q1 so that would mean pretty shortly or is this just another announcement where nothing actually happens?It badly needs an upgrade

Q1 is up to the end of March, so plenty of time yet. Plus it's CIE rather than city council doing this so I'd expect it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brianhickey

bazz26 wrote: »

Is there any update on this?I know it's due to start Q1 but I haven't seen any word on the contractor selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

What ever about the shiny facade on the place, please say the bus bays are going to be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Covering the bus bays and giving (both the train and bus) passangers somewhere warm to sit where there isn't a door opening/closing beside them constantly is all I really want from a public transport area but they never seem to design them to be very comfortable. I'm guessing it's to deter homeless people hanging about. But if you're going to make somewhere uncomfortable to wait in then I don't see much sense in dropping €16 on it. The train station itself is already an architecturally attractive feature and hanging perspex off the side isn't going to make it much prettier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Good news.

Place badly needs a face lift.

The number 1 reason I avoid the place however is due to the aggressive characters that hang around the area. It's dodgy as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Will this actually make it look any better? What's with the hideous things in front? Flagpoles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Will anything happen to the houses alongside the station? Some of them are shameful to be some of the first things tourists coming by train or bus would see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

They were supposed to be knocked but I heard last week they are looking to re-open them as houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Are they all vacant? Best thing to do would be just knock the whole lot and try to develop something around there for people who just arrived or waiting for a bus or train, although that area doesn't seem to attract the best crowd so it's probably not worth bothering if it'd be loitered by dickheads

Are they all vacant? Best thing to do would be just knock the whole lot and try to develop something around there for people who just arrived or waiting for a bus or train, although that area doesn't seem to attract the best crowd so it's probably not worth bothering if it'd be loitered by dickheads

The block next to the station which houses Austins and others businesses is not vacant. The other one is, but it is to be refurbished by the council as social housing.
    As for the location, while it's proximity to Hyde Rd/Prospect isn't ideal, train stations the world over attract unsociable types.

The block next to the station which houses Austins and others businesses is not vacant. The other one is, but it is to be refurbished by the council as social housing.
    As for the location, while it's proximity to Hyde Rd/Prospect isn't ideal, train stations the world over attract unsociable types.
    Any update on the start of the redevelopment on the station?It was due to start Q1 of this year so I thought they should be starting in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Any update on the start of the redevelopment on the station?It was due to start Q1 of this year so I thought they should be starting in the next week or so.

Knocking Austins would be funny. Bloody Cookie hole.

• Advertisement

Any update on this?I thought it was meant to start in Q1 and now we're half-way through Q2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Fixing the automatic sliding entrance door on the left would be a great start.

It's been out of commission for two years.

Can't be that hard to source the spare part or fix the mechanism

Any update on this?I thought it was meant to start in Q1 and now we're half-way through Q2

I tweeted them asking Any update on when the Colbert Station Limerick upgrade will commence? Press releases said Q1. Well into Q2 now.

And I got this in reply

Hi, Commencement was subject to funding, which is now expected early Q3.

I tweeted them asking Any update on when the Colbert Station Limerick upgrade will commence? Press releases said Q1. Well into Q2 now.

And I got this in reply

Hi, Commencement was subject to funding, which is now expected early Q3.

Ah that old chesnut.I guarantee that Limerick 2030 will be the same.Numerous false dawns & headlines from the Leader saying how it's taking shape.I thought the funding was available anyway?

Ah that old chesnut.I guarantee that Limerick 2030 will be the same.Numerous false dawns & headlines from the Leader saying how it's taking shape.I thought the funding was available anyway?

The difference is though that this has nothing to do with the council. Irish Rail have a pretty good track record of delivering what they promise (when it comes to infrastructure that is).
    As to the money, I not sure that the grant fully covered the costs.

Has the first phase of this started?One of the other posters in the Limerick thread mentioned it was due to start end of month.It was in the Post/Leader a few weeks back I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Working up by the station and nothing started yet from what I can see. July only 2 days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The latest is that work is expected to start on Monday.

Good stuff.Any link for this by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭mart 23

Did the work start today ?.

Advertisement