Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Lithuanian Clothing Charity Collectors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Belfafter wrote: »
    http://www.jsdniltd.com/ - This is the guy organising the vast majority of these collections. His name is Tim Davis .
    If you ring him up and tell him you have a van he sells you the fake stickers then buys all the bags of clothing off you when you get it.
    Its mostly lithuianians and poles works for him and if they post belarus stickers in your door one week they come back a week later and stick breast cancer or any of his other made up stuff he has.
    Its amazing that he can continue to operate as a legitimate business when ALL his supplies are collected by these scumbags in their vans.
    I know he also pays them cash mostly so someone should report him.

Wasn't there a UTV documentary covering all of this a few years ago ? Can't remember the name of the guy who was the main organiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Belfafter

josh59 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a UTV documentary covering all of this a few years ago ? Can't remember the name of the guy who was the main organiser

I think that guy was from newry and employed his own workers.
    These new guys are cleverer and employ practically no one.
    Instead they supply the van and the fake charity and let whoever wants to try it have a go paying them cash for whatever they lift.
    The trick is constantly changing charities so it looks like there are loads of people collecting wheras most of those vans only go to 4 or 5 big buyers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Instead they supply the van and the fake charity and let whoever wants to try it have a go paying them cash for whatever they lift.
    The trick is constantly changing charities so it looks like there are loads of people collecting wheras most of those vans only go to 4 or 5 big buyers
    the thing to do with old clothes if you can't get to your local charity shop is bin them, never give these "gangsters" anything!

could the green party not work on making these charity collections for clothes shoes etc illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Belfafter

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the thing to do with old clothes if you can't get to your local charity shop is bin them, never give these "gangsters" anything!

could the green party not work on making these charity collections for clothes shoes etc illegal?

As I have said on earlier posts - best way to screw them up is ring your local council and ask for the waste enforcement officer tellng him what collection is for and when they are picking up.
    They can check if its legit and a real charity and if its not they need waste permits etc which they wont have.
    The council can then seize there van and load.

As I have said on earlier posts - best way to screw them up is ring your local council and ask for the waste enforcement officer tellng him what collection is for and when they are picking up.
    They can check if its legit and a real charity and if its not they need waste permits etc which they wont have.
    has any council in ireland ever gone after these collectors? they are not interested as it would take too much time and effort for too little reward/fines etc the easiest way is to bin your rubbish then it wont end up dumped along country roads or used to bankroll thugs and gangsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Murder somebody, hide your bloody clothes at the bottom of the bag, give it to charity people, anonymous tip off to the guards with the van reg number. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

I suppose in a way they are the modern "rag and bone" men. I spotted one in my estate the other morning - knackered looking 99 D white Transit driven by a leather jacket clad gentleman of eastern European origin I reckon. Be interesting to see how much clothes are left out for them in the coming months given the current economic climate and the fact that for the past 10 years or so we have been living in a "throwaway society" - cetainly looking at the amount of stuff my neighbours were leaving out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've tried this. They don't give a crap or don't have the resources to deal with it. Nothing ever happened, we still get these scumbags coming round with their fake charity stickers - except we never get the free binbag, just a sticker to put on one of our binbags - on a weekly basis.

Apparently these guys are not to be approached. Many are big time criminals who have come over from Lithuania and wouldn't think twice about becoming violent towards people who question them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

...this thread is 2 and a Half years old. Finally the Galway Media has bothered to look into this scam :(

http://www.galwaynews.ie/5867-039charity039-clothes-collector-admits-keeping-profits
    A LITHUANIAN man who owns a second-hand clothes collecting business that purports to be a charity is using sophisticated literature to lure unsuspecting Galway householders into donating clothes for the Third World that he then sells for a profit, the Sentinel has learned.
    Householders throughout the city and county have in the past week been targeted with leaflets that appeal for “unwanted clothing . . . that will be sent to Ukraine, Africa and some other countries.”

However, the Sentinel has discovered that the collector is a registered business, Viltis, based in Tipperary and not a charity as householders are led to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Atlas360

Hello Everyone,
    Just new to boards and just want to say something about these clothing collection scams. All are bogus and not charities! Im sure you all figured that one out. Also I have first hand experience in seeing these second hand clothes shops in Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania. My girlfriend is from there and I have visited 10 times. I'd say roughly within a 500metre radius of her apartment there must be about 5/6 of these so called charity shops! They are not charity shops at all, just businessmen!/gangsters/crooks selling peoples old clothes, like yours and mine and making massive profits. One of the owners of the shops whose premises is right beside my girlfriends block of apartments drives a black HUMMER!!!!, which I see regularly when I'm there, charity shop my arse. So can everyone please tell everyone they know to stop giving these people there old clothes etc, so we can stop these people. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Be so much easier if the law and councils got off their asses to help put a stop to it, hopefully the one upside to the recession will be that fewer people will be willing to give to these guys, but theres still no accounting to the ones who are to lazy to bring the clothes to a proper charity and dont care where they go as long as they are rid of them :mad:

just throw your old clothes in the bin! that way they will not help criminals or worse they will not be collected by travellers and dumped at the side of the road and traced back to you by the council litter warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

Here in Ballylongford we have a recycling centre (bottle bank, tins etc) which also includes a yellow clothes recycling bin for a legitimate charity. Why not petition local politicians to have one added to your area? This way you know that the clothing is being put to charitable use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

best thing to do is stick those stickers on a sack of garbage with an item of clothing on top of the garbage
    thats what i done and im sure they got the nice surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

delllat wrote: »
    best thing to do is stick those stickers on a sack of garbage with an item of clothing on top of the garbage
    thats what i done and im sure they got the nice surprise

Bad idea! If these guys doing the collecting are as unscrupulous as the thread indicates I'm sure all this would do is result in the garbage being thrown on the roadside, resulting in ugly litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

JulesInKy wrote: »
    Here in Ballylongford we have a recycling centre (bottle bank, tins etc) which also includes a yellow clothes recycling bin for a legitimate charity. Why not petition local politicians to have one added to your area? This way you know that the clothing is being put to charitable use.

We have one of those Clothes recycling bins in our village. Last week some Romanians slipped a small child into it and she was passing out the clothes to her family and friends. I suppose if they are wearing them and not selling them its not such a big deal. The kid must be very flat. Did you ever see the size of the hole in those thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Some of the more dubious collectors supply bags now too, they are quite insistent in getting them back.

Just curious, what sort of market exists for collecting clothes to 'render' or shred, to use as furniture filling or transform into some sort of other utility, would a percentage of the clothing be collected with that in mind solely as the end use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

foggy_lad wrote: »
    just throw your old clothes in the bin! that way they will not help criminals or worse they will not be collected by travellers and dumped at the side of the road and traced back to you by the council litter warden.
    It's really not that hard to throw them in a bag for a legimtate organisation, and how exactly are they tracing clothes back to you, do you put your business card in your pocket of old clothes or something? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I got another one of those bags in my letter box today, claiming to be collecting on behalf of The Polio Fellowship of Ireland, naturaly enough the phone number is a mobile that does not work.
    Whoever is collecting have gone to great bother by having the plastic bag put into a nice plastic type envolope and The Polio Fellowship of Ireland printed all over the plastic bag itself.
    In fairness the bag itself will come into great use as I may use it for disposing of my household waste that I can put in my bin.
    How and why are these so called "charity collectors" still getting away with this when it is the real charities that need support the most.
    Thankfully I have yet to give these people one stitch of my unwanted clothes.

We have one of those Clothes recycling bins in our village. Last week some Romanians slipped a small child into it and she was passing out the clothes to her family and friends. I suppose if they are wearing them and not selling them its not such a big deal. The kid must be very flat. Did you ever see the size of the hole in those thing?

Seen this before, most recently a few weeks ago in Drogheda and I could hardly believe my eyes - this "mother" pushed her child inside the bin and had her throw clothes out to her!

They're obviously not wearing the clothes themselves because the ones that do it are the Roma gypsies who always wear those gross long skirts and shawls, so they're not getting those out of a donated clothes bin!

I remember reading last year someone from the charities who put these collection bins out, that they are losing a LOT of revenue because of the Roma stealing clothes from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

We have a house full of the bogus collectors renting two doors up from us, they just moved in the other month. They have 3 vans (no insurance on two of them) parked in a small cul de sac and are constantly moving 'clothes' from one van to another. They have also started of late to bring in children’s bikes, a lot of them. My only guess there is that they are lifting the bikes when clothing the clothes at people’s houses.

Rang the Gardai on numerous occasions complaining and got no where.

There shifty, dangerous characters.

Any advice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

complain in WRITING to the super about the local guards, they will go up there sharpish once you report all of the insurance and the clothes and the kiddy bikes

also complain to the super in charge of your local traffic corps about the insurance .

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Rang the Gardai on numerous occasions complaining and got no where.

There shifty, dangerous characters.

Any advice?

I looked into this last year when we were plagued by them. It's the council litter department you need to complain to, and they will enforce it along with the police.

Be very careful these people don't find out you complained, they have been known to be violent when confronted, even by the guards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

bcirl03 wrote: »
    We have a house full of the bogus collectors renting two doors up from us, they just moved in the other month. They have 3 vans

Ye, I had something similar close to me last year. Luckily not close enough to affect me too much. It was a rural house, they had 2-3 vans. When driving past I would see them out sorting massive piles of clothes in the drive way. Surprise surprise, a few days later the local ditches would have bags of soiled clothes strewn all over them.

I can't understand why people would give these people anything.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

eth0_ wrote: »
    Be very careful these people don't find out you complained, they have been known to be violent when confronted, even by the guards!

I hope you are suggesting that we stand by and let this sort of thing carry on. :mad:

SNIP
    I refuse to start off a racist rant.

dh0661 wrote: »
    I hope you are suggesting that we stand by and let this sort of thing carry on. :mad:

SNIP
    I refuse to start off a racist rant.

Read my comment. I told the guy who to contact (local council) to get something done!

Approaching them yourself is stupid and dangerous - are you a vigilante?

eth0_ wrote: »
    Approaching them yourself is stupid and dangerous - are you a vigilante?

I would not consider us (hubby + me) to be vigilantes, but there is no way that we would let scumbags harass us.

Of course we would ask for help from garda and would, and have done, identify some people that have been causing trouble in our general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

The van arrived this morning, to collect the the bags. I dont think anyone had left anything out. Just as well. They are coming up in the world when it comes to transport, an 03 VW van (the big ones)
    Oh and guess what? In my letterbox today was another sticker, this collection for some children's cheltered housing they even have the cheek to but an email address on it.What can be done to stop these people?

ronaneire wrote: »
    What can be done to stop these people?

Well I for one hope that the proposals today from our minster for justice might help some where down the line.

I know that these guys are in the little league compared to the drug trade and people trafficking/prostitution, but from little acorns and all that.

In the mean time do not let people harass you, if you think that some sort of a scumbag type is harassing you demand help from your garda superintendent.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the solution is sooooooooo simple its blinding

just stop putting bags out.

they will soon have to move on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement